Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nip/Tuck - Anyone but me watching?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nip/Tuck - Anyone but me watching?

    Just watched the new episode and OMG! This is the one show I refuse to be spoiled for!

    Spoiler:
    Who saw Gina being killed coming?! I mean, we all knew Christian was a lady killer, but come on!

    And, I thought I'd seen every ep this season, but is Eden continuing to poison Julia? Do we even know what poison was used? This seems to be dragging on too long for one dose of anything, especially considering that Julia's been to like 100 Dr.'s to see what's wrong.


    I really hope I'm not alone in my NIP/TUCK love!
    sigpic

  • #2
    Oh, I'm watching, I'm watching! Big fan here, as everyone knows!

    I don't know..I'm conflicted about this season. While I think it's an improvement over season 3 and 4, I am not sure where they are going... in season 1 and 2 my love for this show was overwhelming and absolute, it was the best thing ever created back then...now I still enjoy it, but I also have the feeling that they are recycling storylines and dragging some things in a tiresome way.

    Spoiler:
    this season made me hate Christian, he is at the climax of his bastard-ness ans selfishness. I hope they end the Julia/Christian fraud soon, it makes me sick.
    As far as the last episode goes, no, I never saw Gina being killed! Rest in peace, Gina! You were a bitch, but we loved you! Some people think Christian killed her on purpose..I don't think so, and I hope not!

    I think Eden is still poisoning Julia off-camera, otherwise it doesn't make sense. Julia is supposed to still be together with Ollie, because Julia didn't tell her about her relationship with Christian...but they kinda shoved that aside. How is it possible for her and Christian to be openly together and Ollie still not knowing? Not to count that Julia is being so disrespectful to Ollie...if only they let Eden being successfull in her murderous plan....but it will never happen! Sigh Julia drags the show down with her whiny-ness, just get rid of her already! This whole storyline bugs me.

    Heart & Scalpels is always funny!

    |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
    Icon by xiperita

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Francy
      Oh, I'm watching, I'm watching! Big fan here, as everyone knows!

      I don't know..I'm conflicted about this season. While I think it's an improvement over season 3 and 4, I am not sure where they are going... in season 1 and 2 my love for this show was overwhelming and absolute, it was the best thing ever created back then...now I still enjoy it, but I also have the feeling that they are recycling storylines and dragging some things in a tiresome way.
      I agree with Francy on this. When season 5 was starting, I was so excited because the show seemed all fresh again and they introduced some really interesting storylines. In fact, after a very disappointing season 4, I was positively surprised by season 5, it made me fall in love with the show all over again.

      However, the last few episodes were kind of a letdown for me and this latest episode was one of the worst Nip/Tuck episodes ever IMO. I don't think I enjoyed anything in this week's episode.

      Spoiler:
      this season made me hate Christian, he is at the climax of his bastard-ness ans selfishness. I hope they end the Julia/Christian fraud soon, it makes me sick.
      As far as the last episode goes, no, I never saw Gina being killed! Rest in peace, Gina! You were a bitch, but we loved you! Some people think Christian killed her on purpose..I don't think so, and I hope not!
      Spoiler:


      I was not spoiled about Gina being killed either so yeah that was definitely a shock. However, I did not particularly care for the way she was killed off. It may have been a very Nip/Tuck thing to do but somehow it did not sit right with me. I also do not think that Christian killed her on purpose, that would be a very sucky storyline IMO.

      I think Eden is still poisoning Julia off-camera, otherwise it doesn't make sense. Julia is supposed to still be together with Ollie, because Julia didn't tell her about her relationship with Christian...but they kinda shoved that aside. How is it possible for her and Christian to be openly together and Ollie still not knowing? Not to count that Julia is being so disrespectful to Ollie...if only they let Eden being successfull in her murderous plan....but it will never happen! Sigh Julia drags the show down with her whiny-ness, just get rid of her already! This whole storyline bugs me.
      I couldn't agree more. The whole Julia is being poisoned thing and nobody knows about it storyline is just so bad and annoying. I guess Eden must be using some untraceable poison, otherwise it would have shown in Julia's blood tests. I used to like the show for its darkness and cynicism because the characters always showed signs of goodness and empathy every now and again but now it seems to me as if every character on this show is f*cked up beyond comprehension. What once was sexy, provocative and edgy, now just seems degrading, depressing and downright bad to me.

      Case in point: the Magda/Jeff storyline. While I like Robert Gant as an actor (I loved him as Ben Bruckner on Queer as Folk) and I think he did a good job on the show, I thought his storyline was so depressing. I hated the old lady (Magda) from the bottom of my heart and seeing her having sex with Jeff (which then turned him into a vegetable) made me sick. Why couldn't they have picked a more sympathetic character to make their point? That whole storyline was just degrading and extremely depressing.

      I also strongly disliked the Colleen the agent storyline. While it was nice to see another Queer as Folk alumnus (Sharon Gless) on the show, I didn't enjoy her character's storyline one bit. Plus I also found it quite unbelievable. What kick-ass Hollywood agent would behave this way with her client? I hated how Colleen embarrassed herself in front of Sean, it made me cringe and I could barely watch that scene in the car.

      Why is it that Nip/Tuck has such problems to show strong female characters (apart from Liz)? Julia, Eden, Kimber, Gina, Colleen ? they are all incredibly screwed up and not in a good way.

      So on the whole, I was thoroughly disappointed by this week's episode. I hope that the show will improve again in the next few episodes and that it will not completely jump the shark.

      Comment


      • #4
        Spoiler:
        Originally posted by Cori View Post

        I couldn't agree more. The whole Julia is being poisoned thing and nobody knows about it storyline is just so bad and annoying. I guess Eden must be using some untraceable poison, otherwise it would have shown in Julia's blood tests. I used to like the show for its darkness and cynicism because the characters always showed signs of goodness and empathy every now and again but now it seems to me as if every character on this show is f*cked up beyond comprehension. What once was sexy, provocative and edgy, now just seems degrading, depressing and downright bad to me.
        There, there! Don't exagerate, hon! I agree that the show is bordering on boring and on ridiculous always more often, lately, but it's not totally rotten yet! The characters have always been completeley screwed up, and so have always been the patients of the week...people cutting away their own legs, women having sex with their dogs, etc... there have always been situations on the edge of bad taste, even in the past..but maybe since the writing was more consistent at the beginning, everything had a purpose, because they were sending out messages and telling a story. Now, the problem is that I don't know where they want to go with these characters and these storylines... I am starting to believe that they have totally lost sight of the big picture..or maybe they never had one?


        Case in point: the Magda/Jeff storyline. While I like Robert Gant as an actor (I loved him as Ben Bruckner on Queer as Folk) and I think he did a good job on the show, I thought his storyline was so depressing. I hated the old lady (Magda) from the bottom of my heart and seeing her having sex with Jeff (which then turned him into a vegetable) made me sick. Why couldn't they have picked a more sympathetic character to make their point? That whole storyline was just degrading and extremely depressing.
        I had no problem with that storyline... it's true that Magda was extremely unpleasant, but I think that was the point. If the old lady had been all sweet and caring, we would have felt sorry for her, and it would have been another story. It's not N/T... they don't look for that kind of reaction from the viewers. What I have always loved about the show is its political uncorrectness (this isn't a word, for sure) and boldness, also in having very unpleasant characters, and unpleasant storylines.
        I wish the show started concentrating again more on patients and people, and less on stupid side-storylines...but I have understood by now that it's never going to happen. Those days are gone, and this year Heart & Scalpels has replaced the criminal storylines of season 3&4. The Sean-is-an-Hollywood-star thing was funny for a while, but now it's starting to grate.

        I also strongly disliked the Colleen the agent storyline. While it was nice to see another Queer as Folk alumnus (Sharon Gless) on the show, I didn't enjoy her character's storyline one bit. Plus I also found it quite unbelievable. What kick-ass Hollywood agent would behave this way with her client? I hated how Colleen embarrassed herself in front of Sean, it made me cringe and I could barely watch that scene in the car.
        I agree on this...the Colleen character was a completely unneccesary addition, to me...I didn't like that storyline at all.

        Why is it that Nip/Tuck has such problems to show strong female characters (apart from Liz)? Julia, Eden, Kimber, Gina, Colleen ? they are all incredibly screwed up and not in a good way.
        Because I don't think their goal is to portray strong female characters...I don't think they want to portray any strong character at all! There are no strong characters in N/T..for their own reasons, they are all a mess..and that's the point. They can fix your external aspect and make you beautiful with plastic surgery, but they can't fix who you are, or even themselves.


        So on the whole, I was thoroughly disappointed by this week's episode. I hope that the show will improve again in the next few episodes and that it will not completely jump the shark.
        Hopefully! I know what they have to do...get rid of Julia, for good! The show is always at his best when she's not around. Everytime they seem to push Sean and Christian forward with their lives/development, they make 10000 steps backwards because of her. She's poisoning the show, like Eden is poisoning her. I like Joely, but Julia must go!

        |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
        Icon by xiperita

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Francy View Post
          Spoiler:


          There, there! Don't exagerate, hon! I agree that the show is bordering on boring and on ridiculous always more often, lately, but it's not totally rotten yet! The characters have always been completeley screwed up, and so have always been the patients of the week...people cutting away their own legs, women having sex with their dogs, etc... there have always been situations on the edge of bad taste, even in the past..but maybe since the writing was more consistent at the beginning, everything had a purpose, because they were sending out messages and telling a story. Now, the problem is that I don't know where they want to go with these characters and these storylines... I am starting to believe that they have totally lost sight of the big picture..or maybe they never had one?
          Spoiler:


          And the totally screwed upness (of course, not a real word) is one of the reasons I love this show. I wonder if my introduction to N/T isn't one of the reasons I totally agree they have lost sight of the big picture....and I'm not convinced they ever really did have one. I saw a "middle of the season" ep a year ago (some FX late night double play, I think) and was hooked. It just seemed so fresh and unlike anything else on TV. I was at Best Buy the next day and !BINGO! they had a huge DVD sale on......so I bought all the seasons that had been released and me & hubby just started watching it every night! (Thank God for TIVO! ) I loved that it was so character driven. Big name plastic surgeons & their rich patients - all so screwed up that you thanked God for your own small life.



          Originally posted by Francy View Post
          Spoiler:
          I had no problem with that storyline... it's true that Magda was extremely unpleasant, but I think that was the point. If the old lady had been all sweet and caring, we would have felt sorry for her, and it would have been another story. It's not N/T... they don't look for that kind of reaction from the viewers. What I have always loved about the show is its political uncorrectness (this isn't a word, for sure) and boldness, also in having very unpleasant characters, and unpleasant storylines.
          Spoiler:


          Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself. There have been many similar very disturbing characters and story lines. (Remember Mrs. Grubman? I'm actually missing her.)



          Originally posted by Francy View Post
          Spoiler:
          I wish the show started concentrating again more on patients and people, and less on stupid side-storylines...but I have understood by now that it's never going to happen. Those days are gone, and this year Heart & Scalpels has replaced the criminal storylines of season 3&4. The Sean-is-an-Hollywood-star thing was funny for a while, but now it's starting to grate.
          Spoiler:


          But Hearts & Scalpels is nowhere as interesting as, say "Who is the Carver?" I watched that season on DVD, not broadcast and I was wishing with all my heart the Carver was Kimber (well, until she became a victim, of course). IMHO, Kimber was screw up by Christian, period. She was the normal kind of screwed up until she met him.


          Originally posted by Francy View Post
          Spoiler:
          I agree on this...the Colleen character was a completely unneccesary addition, to me...I didn't like that storyline at all.



          Because I don't think their goal is to portray strong female characters...I don't think they want to portray any strong character at all! There are no strong characters in N/T..for their own reasons, they are all a mess..and that's the point. They can fix your external aspect and make you beautiful with plastic surgery, but they can't fix who you are, or even themselves.
          Spoiler:



          Or, beauty does not necessarily = happiness!


          Originally posted by Francy View Post
          Spoiler:
          Hopefully! I know what they have to do...get rid of Julia, for good! The show is always at his best when she's not around. Everytime they seem to push Sean and Christian forward with their lives/development, they make 10000 steps backwards because of her. She's poisoning the show, like Eden is poisoning her. I like Joely, but Julia must go!
          Spoiler:


          OMG! Another Julia hater! From the first moment, with every fiber of my being I hate her! They HAD to have her in a relationship with a WOMAN because she had already slept with every male character except her own SON! (And I don't mean that in a mean, gay bashing way!) It's JULIA bashing! I mean really - we have always known Christian was a whore, but they are just taking Julia to the point that I don't know how anyone could even have any pity for her anymore!

          My own fatal flaw is that I'm drawn to the "bad boys", so Christian's character is more appealing to me than Sean's, but this season, I'm actually feeling sorry for Sean! He totally flushes his life down the toilet, gives up everything he has and everyone he knows to start life with a clean slate and what happens? His whole screwed up life FOLLOWS HIM! Really, is there ANYONE left from previous seasons that is still in Miami?

          And where the hell is Matt all this time? Kimber? The baby (Jenna?)?


          Enough already with the "All about Julia".

          And, yes, I'm rambling on and on because I'm just so excited that there's other somebodies that I can discuss the show with!
          Cinderela
          Renegade Angel
          Last edited by Cinderela; 25-01-08, 01:17 AM.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Spoiler:
            Originally posted by Francy
            There, there! Don't exagerate, hon! I agree that the show is bordering on boring and on ridiculous always more often, lately, but it's not totally rotten yet! The characters have always been completeley screwed up, and so have always been the patients of the week...people cutting away their own legs, women having sex with their dogs, etc... there have always been situations on the edge of bad taste, even in the past..but maybe since the writing was more consistent at the beginning, everything had a purpose, because they were sending out messages and telling a story. Now, the problem is that I don't know where they want to go with these characters and these storylines... I am starting to believe that they have totally lost sight of the big picture..or maybe they never had one?
            It's not so much that I think the show is boring but I definitely think it is a bit ridiculous at times and that they have gone overboard with some of their storylines. Yes of course the characters have always been screwed up (nothing wrong with that, it's why I fell in love with the show in the first place). However, all characters always had redeeming qualities which were a nice contrast to the screwed-up-ness and this has been completely missing for me in this week's episode. Everybody was just either cruel, annoying or downright mean and I find it hard to relate to characters who do not have one good quality. Maybe it was just a particularly bad week for all characters and they will be more humane again in the next ep, I don't know. All I'm saying is that this week's episode actually made me feel disgusted with the show and that has never happened before.


            Originally posted by Francy
            I had no problem with that storyline... it's true that Magda was extremely unpleasant, but I think that was the point. If the old lady had been all sweet and caring, we would have felt sorry for her, and it would have been another story. It's not N/T... they don't look for that kind of reaction from the viewers. What I have always loved about the show is its political uncorrectness (this isn't a word, for sure) and boldness, also in having very unpleasant characters, and unpleasant storylines.
            I have no problem with political uncorrectness and boldness, that's also a thing I love about the show. However, I'm not interested in characters that are one-dimensional and Madga definitely was such a character for me. I didn't expect her to be sweet and caring but she could have at least given a shit that having sex with her put Jeff into a vegetative state. Maybe if she had said one kind word about him, I would feel differently. As it was, I just hated her and was glad when she wasn't on screen.

            Originally posted by Francy
            I wish the show started concentrating again more on patients and people, and less on stupid side-storylines...but I have understood by now that it's never going to happen. Those days are gone, and this year Heart & Scalpels has replaced the criminal storylines of season 3&4. The Sean-is-an-Hollywood-star thing was funny for a while, but now it's starting to grate.
            I couldn't agree more with you on this. Heart & Scalpels was very funny and entertaining in the beginning but now it's starting to get boring and getting on my nerves. And yes, Ryan Murphy, we do get the message that Hollywood corrupts people but do you have to turn Sean into a selfish jerk in the process?


            Originally posted by Francy
            Because I don't think their goal is to portray strong female characters...I don't think they want to portray any strong character at all! There are no strong characters in N/T..for their own reasons, they are all a mess..and that's the point. They can fix your external aspect and make you beautiful with plastic surgery, but they can't fix who you are, or even themselves.
            Yes you are right, it's not the show's goal, the women are just as screwed up as the men on this show and that's fine. For some reason, I just particularly noticed it this week how weak all these women are, which is human I guess. I just hope that they would also show once in a while that they can be strong too. But I guess that's just me then.

            Originally posted by Cinderella
            My own fatal flaw is that I'm drawn to the "bad boys", so Christian's character is more appealing to me than Sean's, but this season, I'm actually feeling sorry for Sean! He totally flushes his life down the toilet, gives up everything he has and everyone he knows to start life with a clean slate and what happens? His whole screwed up life FOLLOWS HIM! Really, is there ANYONE left from previous seasons that is still in Miami?
            I'm right there with ya! As a bad boy lover, I immediately fell for Christian Troy. However, what I have always liked most about Christian is that he can be a completely selfish bastard one minute and then do something unexpected and caring which appears to be completely out of character for him (for example when he visited Gina in hospital after she had learned she had AIDS and he lay down in the hospital bed and just held her or how he fell in love with Wilbur and takes care of him). This makes him an interesting, three-dimensional character IMO and just like with the other characters this has been missing lately (see above).

            And I totally agree with you re Sean.


            Originally posted by Cinderella
            And where the hell is Matt all this time? Kimber? The baby (Jenna?)?
            That's what I was wondering as well. But this has always been a flaw of the show, sometimes some characters are just shoved aside because they want to focus on one aspect and then suddenly appear again in the next few episodes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Spoiler:
              Originally posted by Cinderela View Post

              I loved that it was so character driven. Big name plastic surgeons & their rich patients - all so screwed up that you thanked God for your own small life.
              Exactly!


              But Hearts & Scalpels is nowhere as interesting as, say "Who is the Carver?" I watched that season on DVD, not broadcast and I was wishing with all my heart the Carver was Kimber (well, until she became a victim, of course). IMHO, Kimber was screw up by Christian, period. She was the normal kind of screwed up until she met him.
              The Carver storyline started as very interesting, but turned out to be the biggest mess and the biggest joke ever. Season 3 was full of huge plot holes and absurdities, and the season 3 finale almost killed my love for the show (even though it was the future episode, Conor Mcnamara 2026, that almost made me quit).
              Totally agree about Kimber...Christian did a number on her, he preyed (?) on her weak personality, and he destroyed her. Without Christian, she would have remained a normal girl, maybe just a little shallow... but he turned her into a drug addict, a porn star and the screwed up bitch she is now.

              OMG! Another Julia hater! From the first moment, with every fiber of my being I hate her! They HAD to have her in a relationship with a WOMAN because she had already slept with every male character except her own SON! (And I don't mean that in a mean, gay bashing way!) It's JULIA bashing! I mean really - we have always known Christian was a whore, but they are just taking Julia to the point that I don't know how anyone could even have any pity for her anymore!
              Totally! I didn't hate Julia at the beginning, but now I can't stand her anymore, and I just want her to die!

              My own fatal flaw is that I'm drawn to the "bad boys", so Christian's character is more appealing to me than Sean's, but this season, I'm actually feeling sorry for Sean! He totally flushes his life down the toilet, gives up everything he has and everyone he knows to start life with a clean slate and what happens? His whole screwed up life FOLLOWS HIM! Really, is there ANYONE left from previous seasons that is still in Miami?
              I have always cared more about Sean, actually. Because even though he makes mistakes and has flaws, he has values and tries to do the right thing. He has always been a great friend for Christian, who has not always behaved well towards Sean (to put it nicely). This season, for example, Christian follows Sean to LA, because he can't be without him, despite the fact that Sean actually had chosen to be on his own for a while... and what does Christian do? He starts resenting Sean for his success, being petty and mean, and tries to sabotage his best friend..then, after Sean confesses to Christian that he is still in love with Julia (why, Sean? Why? She doesn't deserve you!), the latter goes and starts an affair with Julia, just to start cheating on her immediately...I mean, Christian..you have always been a bastard, but I have always loved you. Now, I'm starting to hate you!

              And where the hell is Matt all this time? Kimber? The baby (Jenna?)?
              They will pop up, eventually...as Cori said, some storylines are always put on stand-by, in this show...

              Originally posted by Cori
              It's not so much that I think the show is boring but I definitely think it is a bit ridiculous at times and that they have gone overboard with some of their storylines.
              Yes, I feel the same way.

              Yes of course the characters have always been screwed up (nothing wrong with that, it's why I fell in love with the show in the first place). However, all characters always had redeeming qualities which were a nice contrast to the screwed-up-ness and this has been completely missing for me in this week's episode. Everybody was just either cruel, annoying or downright mean and I find it hard to relate to characters who do not have one good quality. Maybe it was just a particularly bad week for all characters and they will be more humane again in the next ep, I don't know. All I'm saying is that this week's episode actually made me feel disgusted with the show and that has never happened before.
              Well, it happens to not like something, and there's nothing you can do about it, and noone is saying you are not allowed to! I'm just saying, that I don't think this week's episode was that different from many other episodes in the past. I am sure that if I go back, there are other characters like Magda ( I remember a Christmas episode, where there were despicable characters who I hated with all my strenght) It has always happened..I don't think all people have redeeming qualities in real life..some people just suck, that's all. Sometimes I enjoy very black-tinted storylines like Magda's, storylines who leave me with a bad taste. I don't always want to see things I can relate to from this show, I want to see things I can't relate to. If I can't see such things on this show, where will I?

              If there is something I'm really sick of, with N/T, is all the f******. I have never liked how they portrayed Christian having sex..it has almost always looked like porn. It's not even sexy anymore, it's just boring to me.

              I have no problem with political uncorrectness and boldness, that's also a thing I love about the show. However, I'm not interested in characters that are one-dimensional and Madga definitely was such a character for me. I didn't expect her to be sweet and caring but she could have at least given a shit that having sex with her put Jeff into a vegetative state. Maybe if she had said one kind word about him, I would feel differently. As it was, I just hated her and was glad when she wasn't on screen.
              But hating her was the point! She was supposed to come through as a total, heartless bitch! I don't know, I think you are seeking emotional investment in a storyline that was not supposed to have that. I think the patients storyline was one of the best things about the last episode..it was the rest that kinda sucked (Eden, Colleen, Heart & Scalpels). But to each their own!

              I couldn't agree more with you on this. Heart & Scalpels was very funny and entertaining in the beginning but now it's starting to get boring and getting on my nerves. And yes, Ryan Murphy, we do get the message that Hollywood corrupts people but do you have to turn Sean into a selfish jerk in the process?
              Exactly! But I don't think Sean is being a selfish jerk... Christian is being a selfish jerk. Sean is just trying to live out of Christian's shadow, for once in his life, and I guess after all those year of being a minion, he is entitled to that!

              |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
              Icon by xiperita

              Comment


              • #8
                My feelings about 5x11

                Spoiler:
                I didn't like this episode. Considering the premise, it could have been very emotional and intense, with Gina's send-off and all, but instead it was just mainly silly and lame.
                I hate the Colleen character...not just because I hate her, but because she makes such an awful villain. I don't care about her storyline at all, she's just a waste of time. Do we really need another psycho character? For god's sake... The scenes where she killed that agent were so ridiculous and over the top, I actually felt embarassed for Sharon Gless (not her best performance, in my opinion). Colleen provided one good thing, though: the Sean bear! I want one!

                The cannibal couple were ok...very dark content, but not more than other stuff we have seen in this show.

                I liked the scene in which Christian imagined to tell Wilbur what really happened with Gina, and I loved seeing him struggle with how to deal with the situation and his son....even though, the whole thing seemed a little (a lot) contrived, since Wilbur never lived with Gina and they never had a mother-son relationship...so why is he suddenly missing his mommy so much?

                The psycho teacher storyline was unneccessary too... I would have preferred for them to focus more on Christian and Wilbur without that silly plotline... considering that the episode was dealing with Gina's death, it totally lacked any pathos.


                Meh, the season started so well... now it's just getting worse and worse. I used to love this show so much, I keep hoping it can go back to what it was! Am I deluding myself?

                |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                Icon by xiperita

                Comment


                • #9
                  I?m a fan of it. I find it very provocative and original. I don?t follow the seasons very well but right now, I?m watching season 4 episodes. I like Julia, and I find Christian an interesting character. He has depths, very hidden but he has them. And of course, he?s a pervert.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Francy View Post
                    My feelings about 5x11

                    Spoiler:
                    I didn't like this episode. Considering the premise, it could have been very emotional and intense, with Gina's send-off and all, but instead it was just mainly silly and lame.
                    I hate the Colleen character...not just because I hate her, but because she makes such an awful villain. I don't care about her storyline at all, she's just a waste of time. Do we really need another psycho character? For god's sake... The scenes where she killed that agent were so ridiculous and over the top, I actually felt embarassed for Sharon Gless (not her best performance, in my opinion). Colleen provided one good thing, though: the Sean bear! I want one!

                    The cannibal couple were ok...very dark content, but not more than other stuff we have seen in this show.

                    I liked the scene in which Christian imagined to tell Wilbur what really happened with Gina, and I loved seeing him struggle with how to deal with the situation and his son....even though, the whole thing seemed a little (a lot) contrived, since Wilbur never lived with Gina and they never had a mother-son relationship...so why is he suddenly missing his mommy so much?

                    The psycho teacher storyline was unneccessary too... I would have preferred for them to focus more on Christian and Wilbur without that silly plotline... considering that the episode was dealing with Gina's death, it totally lacked any pathos.


                    Meh, the season started so well... now it's just getting worse and worse. I used to love this show so much, I keep hoping it can go back to what it was! Am I deluding myself?

                    Right there with you - I believe you used the word "disturbing" and I don't know a better one. It's almost like instead of THINKING of actual controversial storylines like they have in the past, they are just going for the gross out just for the sake of being gross.

                    Spoiler:
                    Where has the *supposedly* dying Julia been? The character as we know her would never have left Christians's side if he told her Gina killed herself. She'd be mothering and crying all over the place.

                    I spent most of this last ep *embarassed* for Sharon Gless. She is an amazing actress, but this part just made her look pathetic.

                    I just can't see how these story lines are going to tie together in any coherent way. Will Kimber's baby be in high school when we see her next? Christian has always been my favorite character, but with these last eps, I can't even find *any* redeeming value in him. This is beginning to look like a big train wreck - I wonder if here enough episodes left to make any sense out what we have seen.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cinderela View Post
                      Right there with you - I believe you used the word "disturbing" and I don't know a better one. It's almost like instead of THINKING of actual controversial storylines like they have in the past, they are just going for the gross out just for the sake of being gross.

                      Spoiler:
                      Where has the *supposedly* dying Julia been? The character as we know her would never have left Christians's side if he told her Gina killed herself. She'd be mothering and crying all over the place.

                      I spent most of this last ep *embarassed* for Sharon Gless. She is an amazing actress, but this part just made her look pathetic.

                      I just can't see how these story lines are going to tie together in any coherent way. Will Kimber's baby be in high school when we see her next? Christian has always been my favorite character, but with these last eps, I can't even find *any* redeeming value in him. This is beginning to look like a big train wreck - I wonder if here enough episodes left to make any sense out what we have seen.
                      Spoiler:
                      The weird thing is, that it seems that many people loved this episode. Maybe I'm being very critic and overly negative here...probably I would have appreciated all the ****ed up-ness in this episode, a few years ago. Maybe I'm just getting too old and serious/sanctimonious LOL
                      But while this show has constantly pushed the boundaries and crossed lines through the years, it always remained stylish. Now I have the feeling I'm watching a freak show... and while it is still enjoyable to me, I feel it has lost any credibility (even though realism was never the show's biggest quality in the first place).

                      For me the problem is, that there is too much focus on external characters/baddies, and it is distracting. It takes away time from the main characters. Also season 1&2 had villains, but they weren't so overwhelming. The focus was mainly on the main characters and the patients. Now, between the characters of Heart&Scalpels, Colleen, Eden and now maybe also the psycho teacher, there is no more time for what's really important, i.e. Christian, Sean, Matt, Kimber, Liz and Julia.

                      Oh, well... this was definetely the most ****ed-up N/T episode ever...maybe that's what disturbed me, too much crazy stuff all together (it could have been enough for 3/4 episodes ), but maybe with a different state of mind, and with a second watching, I will be able to appreciate it more! Who knows!

                      |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                      Icon by xiperita

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My episode 5.11 review:

                        Spoiler:

                        In contrast to you two, Francy and Kim, I actually liked this episode better than episode 5.10 which I really hated (see above ). Yes it could have been written better but at least in this episode I caught a glimpse of the Christian Troy I know and love. I have been complaining about the characters on this show not having any redeeming qualities anymore. So I was positively surprised to see the softer, more vulnerable side of Christian again. The way he struggled with telling Wilbur the truth about Gina's death and how he was moved at the funeral by Gina's support group friends speaking about her showed sides of his character which we have not seen lately. Btw I really enjoyed the funeral scene! Such a Nip/Tuck way to show a funeral! It reminded me of that Six Feet Under episode where a memorial is held for a porn star and the people grieving say similar stuff about the dead person.

                        The cannibal storyline was very dark and also disgusting when you think about it but nothing that would not fall within the boundaries of the show. Plus I liked seeing the actor who played Sandy's business partner Matt on The O.C. again, I think he did a good job in this week's episode.

                        Originally posted by Francy View Post
                        I liked the scene in which Christian imagined to tell Wilbur what really happened with Gina, and I loved seeing him struggle with how to deal with the situation and his son....even though, the whole thing seemed a little (a lot) contrived, since Wilbur never lived with Gina and they never had a mother-son relationship...so why is he suddenly missing his mommy so much?
                        Well just because Wilbur did not live with Gina does not mean they weren't in touch. Maybe they talked on the phone or Gina visited him every now and again (offscreen). Also, I don't think that a child just forgets about his mother and I don't think that Christian, despite all his ambivalent feelings towards Gina, did not want Wilbur to know and have contact with his mother.

                        The psycho teacher storyline was unneccessary too... I would have preferred for them to focus more on Christian and Wilbur without that silly plotline... considering that the episode was dealing with Gina's death, it totally lacked any pathos.
                        I totally agree about the psycho teacher, that was completely unnecessary and annoying. However, I don't think this episode lacked pathos, I was in parts quite moved by Christian and Wilbur in this episode.

                        Originally posted by Cinderela View Post
                        Where has the *supposedly* dying Julia been? The character as we know her would never have left Christians's side if he told her Gina killed herself. She'd be mothering and crying all over the place.
                        I agree, that was totally unbelievable. While I was glad to get a Julia break for one ep, the Julia of former seasons would totally have been there for Christian, if nothing else she would have been there for him as a friend. So I haven't got the slightest clue why they included the dreadful psycho teacher storyline but not Julia supporting Christian. Just bad writing I guess!

                        Which brings me to:

                        I spent most of this last ep *embarassed* for Sharon Gless. She is an amazing actress, but this part just made her look pathetic.
                        I couldn't agree more! The whole Colleen storyline is beyond bad. I actually would go as far and say that this must be the worst Nip/Tuck storyline ever! The way she killed that other agent, it just made me cringe, I could barely watch. Poor Sharon Gless, this must be the suckiest role in the universe!

                        Christian has always been my favorite character, but with these last eps, I can't even find *any* redeeming value in him.
                        As explained above, I feel differently about this. This episode actually gave me some faith again that there is some redeeming value in Christian. It was not much, mind you, but I have liked Christian in this episode better than in the last few eps so I guess that's something.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cori View Post

                          Spoiler:

                          In contrast to you two, Francy and Kim, I actually liked this episode better than episode 5.10 which I really hated (see above ). Yes it could have been written better but at least in this episode I caught a glimpse of the Christian Troy I know and love. I have been complaining about the characters on this show not having any redeeming qualities anymore. So I was positively surprised to see the softer, more vulnerable side of Christian again. The way he struggled with telling Wilbur the truth about Gina's death and how he was moved at the funeral by Gina's support group friends speaking about her showed sides of his character which we have not seen lately. Btw I really enjoyed the funeral scene! Such a Nip/Tuck way to show a funeral! It reminded me of that Six Feet Under episode where a memorial is held for a porn star and the people grieving say similar stuff about the dead person.
                          Spoiler:


                          At the beginning I thought Gina's funeral was really disrespectful, and I hated it until the guy who infected her came along. But thinking about it, it's a really N/T thing to do, indeed, and I have revaluated it!


                          Well just because Wilbur did not live with Gina does not mean they weren't in touch. Maybe they talked on the phone or Gina visited him every now and again (offscreen). Also, I don't think that a child just forgets about his mother and I don't think that Christian, despite all his ambivalent feelings towards Gina, did not want Wilbur to know and have contact with his mother.
                          I don't think they were in touch all that much...for years, the custody had been exclusively granted to the father and his family...they took the baby away, and Wilbur didn't meet Gina again until the moment when she came to claim him, at the end of season 4. Her motherly instinct disappeared soon enough, and she gave Wilbur up after being with him 5 minutes. And then Christian moved to LA, and he never saw Gina again (and neither did Wilbur) until a few weeks ago, when Gina joined them in LA. What kind of attachment can a kid Wilbur's age have to Gina, in that circumstances? Pretty much zero. I saw other people in other forums wondering about that... it was totally contrived. Of course, they needed it for the plot, but they did a lousy job. They should have at least showed some scenes with Gina and Wilbur together, before killing her, for me to believe that the little kid could even notice she was gone (not that she was ever in his life before), and care.


                          I totally agree about the psycho teacher, that was completely unnecessary and annoying. However, I don't think this episode lacked pathos, I was in parts quite moved by Christian and Wilbur in this episode.
                          I call pathos what we have in episodes like the one with Megan's death, for example. This episode just didn't do much for me..maybe because the parts dealing with Gina and Christian's handling her death were almost put in the background by the stupid Colleen and psycho teacher storylines...


                          I agree, that was totally unbelievable. While I was glad to get a Julia break for one ep, the Julia of former seasons would totally have been there for Christian, if nothing else she would have been there for him as a friend. So I haven't got the slightest clue why they included the dreadful psycho teacher storyline but not Julia supporting Christian. Just bad writing I guess!
                          I don't care! Freedom from Julia = always good! Because if she had been there, she would have managed to make Gina's death and Christian's regret all about herself! She is a master at that! Julia, go away!



                          |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                          Icon by xiperita

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Wow, I loved 5x13!!! Finally a really great episode, true to the show's standards!

                            Spoiler:
                            I loved the confrontation between Julia and Christian. Neither of them seemed too surprised or heartbroken over their break-up..both of them probably expected it. They idealized each other in their minds, but as soon as they got the real deal, the fantasy broke. Good riddance to their god-awful relationship! Now I'm actually glad they went there, so it won't be an issue anymore.

                            So, Julia finds out that Eden has been poisoning her....and confronts her while they are alone. Good idea, Julia! But one of the symptoms of mercury poisoning is irrational behaviour, so I guess she has an excuse!
                            Eden shot her..but I don't think Julia will die. It would be too good to be true, and it would prove that the future episode was not written in stone...but it will never happen, so I'll just accept that Julia is safe once again.

                            Rachel was great today...I liked her character, I'm sorry that she's gone,but she was totally right about Matt..the guy is so f***** up, he constantly seeks fulfillment and acceptance from external factors, he follows the wind (or the current girlfriend)...

                            ... who in this case turns out to be his sister! I certainly didn't see that coming, I was quite shocked, and more than a little weirded out! Great twist! I am curious to see if this Amy girl is really Christian's daughter (which could be very possible, given the amount of Christian's conquers) and if Matt will continue to see her despite them being related (he is screwed up enough to not care about that little detail, and she seems a little bit of a nutjob too! )

                            Poor Sean and the bad review he received! LOL He doesn't look like a paper bag!
                            The case of the critic who got his face fixed just to be burnt by the scorned actor/waiter was classic N/T irony.


                            All in all, a really great episode! If the show always delivered like this... good things come when they focus on their characters, and not on silly/absurd side storylines!

                            |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                            Icon by xiperita

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Now this is more like it. I agree with Francy, this was certainly one of the better episodes that we have seen lately. I wouldn't call it great exactly but it was entertaining and gripping and true to the tone of the show.

                              Spoiler:
                              I too enjoyed the conversation/break-up between Julia and Christian. For once they were completely honest with each other and handled their break-up in a mature fashion. I loved how they both listed their expectations and fantasies re their relationship and how disappointed they were by the reality. They have both fantasised about what a relationship between them must be like for so long (for years), they were bound to be disappointed. But I guess they had to try in order to find out that they are not meant for each other.

                              Also kudos to Julia for being completely honest to Olivia as well. However, I was a bit confused by Olivia's reaction. Did she forgive Julia or did she just put Julia being sick first and they will deal with their relationship (if there still is one) later? That wasn't made very clear IMO.

                              Yay for Julia finally finding out that Eden has been poisoning her. I find it ironic that it was Eden's mother (Olivia) who made the necessary suggestions for finding out the truth. And yes it was very stupid of Julia to confront Eden alone but then again, as Francy said, the mercury really messed with her mind. In addition, I can understand her urge to finally confront the person who has harmed her so much. As much as I have come to dislike Julia lately, I really hope that she won't die like this (shot by Eden). Okay I now she is alive in the future episode but you never know with Ryan Murphy, he is pretty unpredictable. I would just find it a very sucky way for Julia to get killed off, both for the character and for Joely Richardson who has been on the show from day one.

                              Oh Matt, you poor and completely f*cked up guy! I loved that they showed all the major points/f*ck-ups in his life in the recap, for a minute I was hoping that Ava would come back. Matt is a bit like Julia in that he is never satisfied, that he always goes from one thing/relationship to the next without much pause. He never seems to reflect on or learn from his mistakes, he just makes the next one. I'm not sure what to make of Christian having a long lost daughter, that seems very soapy to me. As for Matt and Amy falling for each other and sleeping together, well Nip/Tuck has always been about pushing boundaries and breaking taboos so it didn't really come as a great surprise to me that they decided to include incest. Yes it's weird and disturbing (that website Matt was reading from really creeped me out!) but that's typical Nip/Tuck so I'm gonna wait and see where they go with this.

                              So on the whole, this was a very gripping, entertaining and disturbing episode, just like Nip/Tuck used to be. Let's hope this was not a one-off thing but the remainder of season 5 will be of a similar quality.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                I used to watch the show but then stopped because this season for some odd reason doesn't interest me.

                                Trish

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  I did like the whole Julia part of this episode. Confrontation with Eden was intense and I was worried for her, for Julia ! Damn it, they made me care about her ! hehe. Christian/Julia scenes were strong and the two characters benefits this conversation. It's really good when the show focus on character developpement.

                                  About that, what with Matt. I'm beyond angry with him. I can't stand this little bastard from the very first episode. He can't assume being messed up inside so he jumps from one relation to another. He has to change or move or doing something. The whole story with his sister is sad, sad cause I can't believe they did it again. Will they get rid of him and Julia anytime soon?

                                  One question thought, what about Colleen? Last episode I saw, she was covered in blood and not even a word here? did I miss something?
                                  "Trust the Tale, not the Teller"
                                  Tumblr // Smugmug // Twitter

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Creamy Coolness View Post
                                    I did like the whole Julia part of this episode. Confrontation with Eden was intense and I was worried for her, for Julia ! Damn it, they made me care about her ! hehe. Christian/Julia scenes were strong and the two characters benefits this conversation. It's really good when the show focus on character developpement.

                                    About that, what with Matt. I'm beyond angry with him. I can't stand this little bastard from the very first episode. He can't assume being messed up inside so he jumps from one relation to another. He has to change or move or doing something. The whole story with his sister is sad, sad cause I can't believe they did it again. Will they get rid of him and Julia anytime soon?

                                    One question thought, what about Colleen? Last episode I saw, she was covered in blood and not even a word here? did I miss something?
                                    I think that the Colleen storyline will continue next episode, which is the last as far as this season goes... I hope they end it (the Colleen storyline) for good, because I absolutely hated this storyline.

                                    I don't hate Matt...he is just very troubled and totally weak. He should stop the dating thing for a while (also because he is always drawn to unhealthy relationships..who knows, maybe he unconsciously seeks them) and concentrate on healing himself. Sometimes he seems aware of his issues, that's why occasionally he tries to change and put his life back together, but everytime he fails at that. If the Conor 2026 episode is what really happens, it looks like in the end things work out for him (I still hate that episode..I don't need to know beforehand what will happen, thank you very much).

                                    I agree about Julia..while they made me feel slighly sorry for her (but only slighly) with the poisoning thing, I just hope they get rid of her character, better sooner than later!

                                    |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                                    Icon by xiperita

                                    Comment

                                    Working...
                                    X