Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battlestar Galactica

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I know hey. To an extent it still makes a bit of sense, but it is a slightly frustrating loose end.

    Otherwise it really is a satisfying end. Actually I was thinking about how clever the finale is because it puts the main characters into real perspective. When you think about it, all of the main characters (actors in the opening credits) fulfill their main role either as part of the journey or as part of the destination. Kara, Adama and Roslin are the "journey" characters.

    SPOILERS - to you people who haven't seen the whole show, but it's been over for a while so I won't spoiler tag it

    Kara is obvious... from the beginning she's the gun pilot, making her literally out front of the fleet. In the season 1 finale she retrieves the Arrow of Apollo which is the first roadsign to Earth, and she painted the mandala which in season 3 becomes the second roadsign to Earth. In the episode of her death, she is compared to the Goddess Aurora, the goddess of the dawn and the figurehead for ships. When she returns from the dead as an angel, she facilitates the truce between human and Cylon, and then leads the fleet first to the old Earth and then to the new Earth. By the time humanity is settled on the new Earth, her task is done and she literally disappears.

    Roslin and Adama were the leaders of the fleet on their journey and the safeguards of the human race. That's all they did throughout the entire show. They debated morality and they made tough decisions to keep the human race alive, even if sometimes they were proven wrong. If you strip all of their character episodes to the core, they're either about whether humanity is worth saving, or their own responsibility to humanity. People complain about Roslin not doing much in the finale, but by then her task was essentially over. Both of the characters are compared to the Galactica in the show, because just like the Galactica they are the vessel in which humanity travels to its new home in. By the time the Galactica is broken in the finale, there is no more need for them... they aren't in charge of how life is going to be on the new world and having completed their task are both free to lay down their burdens.

    On the other hand, Gaius, Caprica-Six and Lee are the "destination". While all of them play an integral role in the journey of the show, what it seems to me is that all their development and influence is preparing them for restarting life on the new Earth. Consider Lee: it is only at the start of season 4, when he joins the government, that he says "I think I've finally found my place... it feels like destiny" etc. And then look at what he achieves. In "Revelations", he makes the truce that I doubt Roslin could have. That scene also contains to me one of the key lines of the whole show:
    Deanna: All of this has happened before -
    Lee: But it doesn't have to happen again.
    If you look at Lee's character episodes and development throughout the series, it boils down to him flailing between his father and Roslin... which side is he on? Who will he grow up to be? In season 4 he grows into his own person, taking another step towards throwing off the old cycles in 4.15 when he suggests not choosing another Quorum, because the old colonies mean nothing anymore. By the finale, he is able to recognise what no one else can: that repeating the old ways will lead into another cycle of retributive violence. Advocating integration into the natural evolution of the new Earth is what his character has been building up towards for the entire show (even if Ron Moore didn't know it yet ). Add to that, his story is clearly not over - he expresses an unquenchable energy to explore, climb mountains, begin a completely new life.

    Gaius and Caprica-Six throughout the show combined to have disastrous influence... their affair destroyed the twelve colonies, his desire to win the election and her desire to be with him brought on New Caprica, and so on... but everything they did served to bring human and Cylon closer together. Although Athena and Helo essentially started the show down that path, it was Gaius and Caprica-Six who brought the two races together. She started the Cylons down the path that led Deanna to obsess over the Final Five and thus cause the civil war, and his one God preaching and socialist propaganda changed the tone of the fleet to more easily accept Cylons and give up the old colonial constructs. What they were doing, and what their angel counterparts confirmed in the finale (by saying that they simply had to live) was preparing human and Cylon to live on the new Earth. Gaius and Caprica-Six represent the future of the two races blending together. Consider the Opera House visions, in which Roslin and Athena have protected Hera throughout her life, but it is Gaius and Caprica-Six who are there for her at the end. By holding Hera (the mitochondrial Eve, future of the two races) in their arms, they are holding the future.

    Athena is harder to classify but I would say that she and Boomer are "journey" characters. Although Athena brings about Hera, who is the key to the destination, Athen and Boomer are essentially cogs in the story. They were the first to blend the line between human and Cylon and thus very important in the machinations of the story. Also, season 1 was the only time when they had large amounts of screentime.

    The Final Five don't really belong in either category because they are prophets from another time. They're vital characters, certainly, but in a sense what they represent is the remnants from a finished cycle of violence. This is represented really clearly in the finale when the Opera House vision blurs with reality to show the Final Five standing motionless on the upper deck of the CIC... I found it really strange that none of them, not even Tigh, moved to help with the standoff happening below, but I suppose what it was was a visual representation of their separation and also their complicity in starting these events.

    EDIT: that all makes sense to my personal understanding of the show, anyway.
    Last edited by Kold; 11-06-09, 06:21 AM.

    Comment


    • Okay, so I am halfway through the Battlestar Galactica Miniseries. Now, I have nt firmly made a decision about the show, so bare with me here. Overall, so far I'd say it's pretty interesting. The special effects are cool, and I like the overal build up that has been going on. Like many of you all have said, it does get a bit boring. I'm watching the dvd on my computer, and numerous times I've found myself drifting off and looking around Buffy Forums. Still though, the story is pretty good and perhaps in the next bit it will turn into something more.

      The blonde haired robot chick seems pretty cool, though not much has happened wiht her yet and I'm not exactly sure what she is doing or where her character is going, but it's good I'll definitley say that. Gaius I just find annoyoying so far, and a bit pointless, but I expect that he has some sort of role to play in the future. The whole cast are good actors, so that pulls be back in and gives me a bit more faith in BSG, but they all feel dull and don't have enough energy. However, when it comes to the action sequences and times like that its just BAM! There are some highs and some lows.

      Like I said, I'm only halfwya through the miniseries now, so I haven't made a strong decision on what I think. But I will definitley be back in a bit!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by TheChosen View Post
        The whole cast are good actors, so that pulls be back in and gives me a bit more faith in BSG, but they all feel dull and don't have enough energy.
        I had a problem with that (and being slightly bored) with the miniseries as well. It all definitely rectifies itself with the start of season 1. Good to see you're giving it a try!
        No power in the 'verse can stop me.

        Comment


        • Yeah I plan on sticking the boredom out and giving the first season a try. I watched some promos on Youtube and they looked like the show was a lot better so I'll probably finish the miniseries and watch some of the first few episodes tongiht. I think the problem with the miniseries is just that so much was trying to be accomplished in so little time sometimes they forgot to make it enjoyable for the audience. Oh well, I don't mind! Believe me, I've seen much worse.... Btw, does anyone know if when the miniseries was made had they planned on making a show. Or was it cause they had some really high ratings when the miniseries aired?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TheChosen View Post
            Yeah I plan on sticking the boredom out and giving the first season a try. I watched some promos on Youtube and they looked like the show was a lot better so I'll probably finish the miniseries and watch some of the first few episodes tongiht. I think the problem with the miniseries is just that so much was trying to be accomplished in so little time sometimes they forgot to make it enjoyable for the audience. Oh well, I don't mind! Believe me, I've seen much worse.... Btw, does anyone know if when the miniseries was made had they planned on making a show. Or was it cause they had some really high ratings when the miniseries aired?
            Well, I think the miniseries was intended to be an unofficial pilot. Sort of a test run to see how it would work and what the response would be to it. Because it is a remake of an old sci-fi series, there was a lot of negativity surrounding the miniseries as fans of the original were not happy with a new version being launched.
            sigpic
            follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
              Well, I think the miniseries was intended to be an unofficial pilot. Sort of a test run to see how it would work and what the response would be to it. Because it is a remake of an old sci-fi series, there was a lot of negativity surrounding the miniseries as fans of the original were not happy with a new version being launched.
              I guess it's been like that with Star Trek lately and Buffy too now by trying to launch movies. Fans just can't stand having their favourite iconic people being replaced and pretty much thrown out the window because they are all old now. It's sad really, but thats the way our world works. But in BSG's case, I guess it all worked out.

              Comment


              • Okay, so I have completely finished the miniseries now. I thought the second half was a lot better than the first and it was definitley more action and suspense. I wasn't completely sold until the very end when they started talking about a 13th colony and earth and all that. That was pure genius in my opinion. Except I dunno what the president Roslin chick was going on about that it doesn't exist. I guess somewhere down along the line they'll find out it really is there or William Adamo was lying to her. Whatever happens, unfortunatley I know they do eventually get to earth because I saw the series finale promo on TV, and thats what initially peaked my interest. Anyways, I liked finding out there is another cylon onboard the Galactica although I was kinda expecting it. Still overall the sequence of events and plot was much better. I will definitely start watching the first season. I'm actually really hyped up and excited about it. And only Buffy has ever done that for me...hmmm good things must be ahead. The only thing I'm worried about is where the show can go. Presumably they will be just floating through space heading off to "earth". Not much else can happen other than cylons attacking like every episode, and that will get boring. I'm not gonna stop watching it or anything. I'm just concerned...

                Comment


                • Don't worry it doesn't get boring. There's a lot of internal conflict on board of the Galactica which makes for some really exciting drama. That's what makes BSG a very good show, it's the character stuff. It's also quite a great political thriller as well. This show really makes you think, about the choices we make, a person's rights, compromising to achieve your goals ect. There's a lot of great stuff that has very little to do with the Cylons.

                  Try not to think as the Battlestar as their transport vehicle to get to home, think of it *as their home.* Because it is, and I’m sure you’ll feel that as the series progresses.

                  ~ Banner by Nina ~

                  Comment


                  • Well even though I've only watched the miniseries and the first six episodes now I must say It's pretty damn good! The story line is evolving and all the characters make for interesting stoy lines. So far my favourite characters are Captian Apollo, Starbuck and President Roslin. I really hope Roslin doesn't get taken out of the picture sometime soon because of her cancer. To me she just seems like the most real and likeable character. Her pesonality and what she stands for appeals to me I guess. Starbuck feeling guilty for Adamo' brothers death felt like it had been done before, and I know I''ve seen it somewhere else, but I can't place it yet. The chemistry between Apollo and Kara is good though, and they have some amazing scenes together.

                    I like that stuff is still going on on Cobalt and in Caprica. However, I kinda would have liked it if the whole planet could have been destroyed completely with an epic destruction of being like blown up Oh well, at least we have what we have so far. Oh and I was wondering, when is earth gonna be a topic again? Have they completely abandoned that idea, or will it only become a topic when they happen to 'jump' into our solar system and realize there is earth. I found the whole wrap about the 13 colonies really interesting. Just wondering if I can expect it to be touched on anytime soon.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by TheChosen View Post
                      Well even though I've only watched the miniseries and the first six episodes now I must say It's pretty damn good! The story line is evolving and all the characters make for interesting stoy lines. So far my favourite characters are Captian Apollo, Starbuck and President Roslin. I really hope Roslin doesn't get taken out of the picture sometime soon because of her cancer. To me she just seems like the most real and likeable character. Her pesonality and what she stands for appeals to me I guess. Starbuck feeling guilty for Adamo' brothers death felt like it had been done before, and I know I''ve seen it somewhere else, but I can't place it yet. The chemistry between Apollo and Kara is good though, and they have some amazing scenes together.

                      I like that stuff is still going on on Cobalt and in Caprica. However, I kinda would have liked it if the whole planet could have been destroyed completely with an epic destruction of being like blown up Oh well, at least we have what we have so far. Oh and I was wondering, when is earth gonna be a topic again? Have they completely abandoned that idea, or will it only become a topic when they happen to 'jump' into our solar system and realize there is earth. I found the whole wrap about the 13 colonies really interesting. Just wondering if I can expect it to be touched on anytime soon.
                      Glad you are enjoying it so far Two of my all-time favorite characters are also Starbuck and Roslin! They are simply fantastic for the entire run; brilliant!!! I gotta say I kinda liked Lee (Apollo ) for the first season, but slowly, you begin to hate him. He is really boring Roslin is also one of the most likable characters because the actress is beyond amazing. And, yeah, Kara/Lee is a popular ship in the BSG universe.

                      BTW, it's Kobol If Caprica was totally destroyed, we never would have gotten Helo and Athena, though, and they're awesome! Their story gets very good in the coming episodes, but BEWARE, there is a horrible, horrible episode coming up called "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down".....bewaaare

                      About Earth, well, it comes back up in the finale

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
                        BTW, it's Kobol If Caprica was totally destroyed, we never would have gotten Helo and Athena, though, and they're awesome! Their story gets very good in the coming episodes, but BEWARE, there is a horrible, horrible episode coming up called "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down".....bewaaare

                        About Earth, well, it comes back up in the finale
                        Sorry about the Kobol thing I'm still getting used to everything. I guess you're right that if it had been completely destroyed we wouldn't have had Athena and Helo, and I agree that makes it a lot more interesting. However, I'm sure they could have found some way around it. I just hope there is some type of big explosion and epic moment sometime in the future. As for the earth thing, I'd already known it was all about the finale, but I was hoping it would be brought up some other time in the series as well.

                        Well, I can't exactly say anthing about Tigh me Up, Tigh me Down yet, because I haven't watched it yet. More so, now I'm a bit afriad to though. And coincidentally that happens to be the episode I'm on.... Oh well, I'll have to give my opinion on that later. So far I think things have been good so I don't know what could make them so bad.

                        Btw, has anyone read the BSG novels. I've head there are 4 of them or something like that, and as I was reasearching one I accidentally got a bit of a big spoiler I'm hoping it was just something that was made up for the book, but if not I will be mad that I found out too soon. If anyone could tell me what they're like and when they're set so they don't spoil anything I'd greatly thank you and maybe even give some points....

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by TheChosen View Post
                          Sorry about the Kobol thing I'm still getting used to everything. I guess you're right that if it had been completely destroyed we wouldn't have had Athena and Helo, and I agree that makes it a lot more interesting. However, I'm sure they could have found some way around it. I just hope there is some type of big explosion and epic moment sometime in the future. As for the earth thing, I'd already known it was all about the finale, but I was hoping it would be brought up some other time in the series as well.

                          Well, I can't exactly say anthing about Tigh me Up, Tigh me Down yet, because I haven't watched it yet. More so, now I'm a bit afriad to though. And coincidentally that happens to be the episode I'm on.... Oh well, I'll have to give my opinion on that later. So far I think things have been good so I don't know what could make them so bad.

                          Btw, has anyone read the BSG novels. I've head there are 4 of them or something like that, and as I was reasearching one I accidentally got a bit of a big spoiler I'm hoping it was just something that was made up for the book, but if not I will be mad that I found out too soon. If anyone could tell me what they're like and when they're set so they don't spoil anything I'd greatly thank you and maybe even give some points....
                          Oh, don't worry, many explosions to come There will be space fights, fights on Galactica, explosion of ships, etc. There's stuff like that all around!

                          And by "the finale", it sounds like you think I meant series finale. I mean season finale; it will be brought up there, and I think it is also mentioned in "Flesh and Bone". Don't worry; it isn't going anywhere. It's a major recurring theme

                          Haha, "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" doesn't ruin the series or anything, I just think it's a horrible episode. But, hey, you might like it; who knows!

                          Aww, what spoiler did you get?! It's okay, because the series is soooo filled with twists and turns that you'll hopefully get surprised other times in the series; I'm sorry you got spoiled, though I'd suggest not to go on on BSG fansites until you finish, because other forums aren't as strict with spoilers as we are, so there will be spoilers about everything in every title there Especially don't go to the official Sci-Fi channel forum yet because man, SO many spoilers everywhere. Just a tip And, no, never read the books; never even heard of them! I would suggest the CDs though; Bear McCreary is a genius. But, again, his site/the titles in some of his CDs have spoilers; so, of course, beware for those until you get almost done

                          Hope you continue to like the series. The season finale, 1x13 "Kobol's Last Gleaming" (Part II) is awesome; I think you'll like it.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
                            Oh, don't worry, many explosions to come There will be space fights, fights on Galactica, explosion of ships, etc. There's stuff like that all around!

                            And by "the finale", it sounds like you think I meant series finale. I mean season finale; it will be brought up there, and I think it is also mentioned in "Flesh and Bone". Don't worry; it isn't going anywhere. It's a major recurring theme

                            Haha, "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" doesn't ruin the series or anything, I just think it's a horrible episode. But, hey, you might like it; who knows!

                            Aww, what spoiler did you get?! It's okay, because the series is soooo filled with twists and turns that you'll hopefully get surprised other times in the series; I'm sorry you got spoiled, though I'd suggest not to go on on BSG fansites until you finish, because other forums aren't as strict with spoilers as we are, so there will be spoilers about everything in every title there Especially don't go to the official Sci-Fi channel forum yet because man, SO many spoilers everywhere. Just a tip And, no, never read the books; never even heard of them! I would suggest the CDs though; Bear McCreary is a genius. But, again, his site/the titles in some of his CDs have spoilers; so, of course, beware for those until you get almost done

                            Hope you continue to like the series. The season finale, 1x13 "Kobol's Last Gleaming" (Part II) is awesome; I think you'll like it.
                            Yay! Earth by the season finale. I did think you meant the series finale so thanks for clearing that up.

                            Now onto "Tigh me up, tigh me down." Well, I'd be interested to know why you didn't like (NOT that I did ), but for me it was because of numerous thigns. For one, it might as well have been an episode of The Hills! All the back and forth, back and forth drama was exceptionally boring. With accusations and bottles of beer flying around it just didn't feel at all like the show I had previously seen. It didn't put me off of BSG or anything, but I just went hmmmmm. I'm not sure what went through the writers mind. Oh, and I almost forgot about Ellen playing "footsies", or rather "crotchies" with Apollo.

                            Yeah, I plan on avoiding most of the merchandise until I'm really close to the end of the last season. Iwouldn't even dream of heading over to an official Galactica forum because I can already sense that spoilers would be everywhere. Still though, I gave in and ordered a BSG book. I was amazed. It's a hardcover book containing all three books ever written for only 20$. Plus, in all it's about 650 pages of extra BSG for me! It was called the BSG trilogy, and cheaper than getting all 3 books separate so I just said why not! The reviews were mixed so once I finish them I can tell everyone all about it. First though I'm gonna try and find out when they take place.

                            As for Kobol's Last Gleaming: I'm just about to watch the episodes right now so I'll be back in a bit!

                            Comment


                            • Have you guys seen the trailer for "The Plan" yet? It looks good! And seems like it will be filling in some gaps that BSG left.

                              http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...-the-plan.html
                              sigpic
                              follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                                Have you guys seen the trailer for "The Plan" yet? It looks good! And seems like it will be filling in some gaps that BSG left.

                                http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...-the-plan.html
                                OMG, I can't wait!! I finished watching the show like.....3 days ago, but I already miss it!
                                The trailer is promising... I wouldn't mind knowing more about this "plan", since I haven't really understood exactly what it was!
                                Last edited by Francy; 23-06-09, 07:29 AM. Reason: Uh? I wrote with my feet!

                                |LiveJournal| | |Tumblr|
                                Icon by xiperita

                                Comment


                                • Well I've been stuck at halfway through s4 and haven't been able to find any of the episodes in decent quality online. I've had some trouble with viruses lately so I'm trying not to download.. but I'm dying to finish this series

                                  The trailer looks amazing, I didn't know they were doing this so it's great we're going to be getting some new material. So is this basically how the plan came about to destroy the humans and all the colonies like Caprica?

                                  ~ Banner by Nina ~

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                                    Well I've been stuck at halfway through s4 and haven't been able to find any of the episodes in decent quality online. I've had some trouble with viruses lately so I'm trying not to download.. but I'm dying to finish this series
                                    You've got some really exciting episodes coming up!! Much to look forward to, especially if you're spoiler-free. I had the same problem re: season 4. I wound up buying the rest of the episodes off Itunes because I was so into it and couldn't possibly wait for the DVDs. I do wish I could watch them on my big TV in all their glory. Not the same on my computer and definitely not the same on an iPod!
                                    No power in the 'verse can stop me.

                                    Comment


                                    • I had actually looked some stuff about this on Wikipedia a few days ago. It's weird that like a day later I found out a trailer has been released! I was just wondering if it reveals anything big or some stuff I shouldn't know. I just finished watching the first two seasons and have loved them both. With each episode I get more excited for the next. I've gotten my brother watching it too now so I'll be taking a short break and letting him catch up. Then we can watch it together.

                                      I've already learnt to despise some characters due to recent events **cough Saul Tigh Cough Cough ***. I'm loving President Roslin even more and Kara is pretty awesome too. I've grown to really love the earth and thirteenth colony story going on. It's some of the best TV I've ever seen!!!

                                      Comment


                                      • Late reply to this particular post but...

                                        Two of my all-time favorite characters are also Starbuck and Roslin! They are simply fantastic for the entire run; brilliant!!!
                                        Agree with the Roslin love. Mary McDonnell is amazing and so classy and gorgeous as that character! She's my fave. Starbuck has some great moments but there are times when you wanna freakin throttle her though, she could be such a pain!

                                        Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
                                        I gotta say I kinda liked Lee (Apollo ) for the first season, but slowly, you begin to hate him. He is really boring
                                        Bahahaha!! He so is! I never got the popularity of that character with fans. My nickname for him was "Apalling". I do think he got more interesting in say, late season 3/season 4 though. But yeah...all in all....Zzzzzzz
                                        No power in the 'verse can stop me.

                                        Comment


                                        • The only time I've hated Lee is in the trail for Baltar in s3. I loathed him when he brings up that Laura is taking the drugs again. I HATED him in that scene, I just wanted to throttle him. But my Laura got him back I love how she makes him feel so guilty by forcing him to ask why she's taking it again

                                          I just found Lee really grating in all those episodes. Especially when he has that stupid smirk on his face throughout a lot of the trial. I also disliked him when at a conference Laura told him that he doesn't speak for her and he got her back by turning everyone against her. You can just see the smirk on his face and the satisfaction he got out of it. I'm no fan of Lee the politician. The guy should stick to flying vipers

                                          ~ Banner by Nina ~

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X