Battlestar Galactica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheChosen View Post
    I'm really interested in space and science fictiony type stuff, so would this be a good show for that? And of course, amazing storylines and characters always help !
    That pretty much sums up BSG! If that is your kind of thing I think you will love this show.
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

• Space & scifi stuff with amazing characters and storylines....yes you've got all of that here! Go for it TheChosen! I just finished the series myself; it's become a "desert island" show for me for sure. Such tension, wonderfal acting (Mary McDonnell was ROBBED of an emmy nod I tell you! Goodness!), great special effects, and the whole morally GREYness of much of it...it is a good an' intense watch for sure. Another thing I adore about this show is it really gives older actors/actresses their chance to shine; putting their stories front and centre. Adama, Tigh and Roslin just ooze maturity and CHARISMA and are probably, IMO, the most interesting characters on the show.
      Last edited by ShinyFirefly; 31-05-09, 12:51 PM.
      No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Comment

I'm really interested in space and science fictiony type stuff, so would this be a good show for that? And of course, amazing storylines and characters always help
        It would totally be a good show for all of that. Me personally I was dissapointed by the end, because it didn't deliver in many ways, but it was an awesome show with a lot of great characters and actors, cool space battles and some plot to fuss over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nixennacht View Post
          It would totally be a good show for all of that. Me personally I was dissapointed by the end, because it didn't deliver in many ways, but it was an awesome show with a lot of great characters and actors, cool space battles and some plot to fuss over.
          I second that. I would recommend the show despite the finale (only I wouldn't recommend having high hopes for the finale, though as you can see in previous posts, other viewers liked how it ended too).

Comment

• Originally posted by EvilVampire View Post
            I second that. I would recommend the show despite the finale (only I wouldn't recommend having high hopes for the finale, though as you can see in previous posts, other viewers liked how it ended too).
            I love it when the writers have a ginormous brilliant plot that is revealed bit by bit, like it was with Babylon 5. With BSG it looked like they were doing the same, when they made most of it up as they went along.
            So all the obsessive little fan stuff that I like to do, like searching the old episodes for clues on the revealed cylons is useless, because back then the writers had no idea they were going to make XY into a cylon at a later point.

But even if there isn't a gigantic brilliant idea behind it all, that still leaves lots of intense drama and some smaller plotlines that were really brilliant. I guess I just expected too much, it's still a very good show.

Comment

• I didn't mind the finale as much as some, the first half in particular was quite intense and fun to watch. In the end though, I sorta kinda agree with what is being said in that the journey of the show was better than the destination. But that is the case with many shows I think, Buffy included.

Comment

• Battlestar Galactica is, without a doubt, my favorite show....ever. Beats out Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Veronica Mars, Lost, Weeds, etc.! I know many people violently dislike the finale (I had the horrible opportunity to visit the Sci-Fi boards right after it aired...oh, man, that was scary lol!), but I loved it. It's in my Top 10, but yes, I agree that other episodes were much better.

I love the characters, I love the stories. All the actors are top-notch, and the writing and gritty feeling of the series is astounding. If you are a hard-core science fiction fan, you will like the first two seasons better than the last two. Me? I like some Sci-Fi but want to murder really extreme Sci-Fi. I found that this is the show for me. Very character heavy, but doesn't lose focus of the main plot. It balances everything so well, and is just an outstanding show.

I recommend to, ya know, watch it.

Comment

• Just some randomness...

BSG drinking game - some of this is pretty funny.

Love this article on the way BSG protrays older characters

Blasterboy, I'm getting the feeling I should try Weeds sometime. First it was the mutual Gilmore Girls love and now this. We do seem to have similar taste!
                  I have trouble proclaiming any show my favourite ever after I fell hard for The Office, Firefly, BSG, etc...but Battlestar Galactica is in my top 3 most definitely. Also love that it gave the world Adama/Roslin - OTP to rule the universe! Love them!

Comment

WOW! There is a lot of stuf about Battlestar Galactica... Must be a good show. I've never seen it before, and with summer coming up I've been looking for a really good new show. I wikipedia-ed it and it looks pretty good, and I had been the store a few days ago looking at the dvds, but thought I better ask about it here first. I'm really interested in space and science fictiony type stuff, so would this be a good show for that? And of course, amazing storylines and characters always help !

Thx for you help.
                    To put it briefly, HELL YES!

I'm not even finished with the whole show yet (I'm about halfway into season 3), and it's already one of my top 3 favorite shows of all time. You don't even have to be interested in sci-fi and space operas to enjoy it; it has compelling characters, brilliant writing, and interesting plots that are universally enjoyable. Really, it's not as much a "hard" sci-fi series as it is an intelligent war drama. If you're into sci-fi, well, that's just a bonus.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized that I'm replying to a really old post and I was just looking at a different page before I replied. Eh, whatever, at least you all know how much I love BSG now.
                    Last edited by Jenna; 01-06-09, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nixennacht View Post
                      I love it when the writers have a ginormous brilliant plot that is revealed bit by bit, like it was with Babylon 5. With BSG it looked like they were doing the same, when they made most of it up as they went along.
                      So all the obsessive little fan stuff that I like to do, like searching the old episodes for clues on the revealed cylons is useless, because back then the writers had no idea they were going to make XY into a cylon at a later point.
                      Yeah, that happened to me as well.

Originally posted by Nixennacht
                      But even if there isn't a gigantic brilliant idea behind it all, that still leaves lots of intense drama and some smaller plotlines that were really brilliant. I guess I just expected too much, it's still a very good show.
                      I agree, though I disliked the finale for reasons other than the lack of a good resolution to the plot. Essentially, I think they made a really bad choice, and I'm not sure why they'd do that (at least, most of them).

The exception were the centurions; I liked them in the finale. They are the ones who might actually build a great civilization while the others bury one.
                      But the centurions weren't supposed to be the one possible success story, were they?

But I better stop complaining.

I too think it's a very good show, in spite of the finale.

Comment

• Well, I think the finale was what it was for the simple fact that R Moore didn't have an overall game plan. He made it up as he went along. Had he set up pieces over the course of the series, perhaps he wouldn't have felt the need to end the show as he did.

I happened to enjoy the finale; but it also felt like a deus ex machina of sorts. Like he felt like he had to wrap up pieces he didn't know what he was going to do with and just put them in there. Like the opera house, for example. I wasn't so annoyed because everything was pulled off pretty well but when you take a step back you can see that the story was--hmmm, not sure what word I am looking for--porous, I guess.

Still, I think the absolute final scene was amazing. And kind of something I thought might happen a few seasons back. Though perhaps not quite in that way.
                        sigpic
                        follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

• Well, I think I'm convinced that BSG is a good show! Never realized so many ppl would respond saying how much they really enjoyed it. I will definitely go out and buy the 1st season this weekend. Just another question? Does the 4 part prequel thingy or whatever they're talking about necessary to watch if you want to see the show. I know they sell it seperatley, but is it included in the S1 dvd as well? Thx. I bet I sound like an idiot...

Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
                          Battlestar Galactica is, without a doubt, my favorite show....ever. Beats out Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Veronica Mars, Lost, Weeds, etc.! I know many people violently dislike the finale (I had the horrible opportunity to visit the Sci-Fi boards right after it aired...oh, man, that was scary lol!), but I loved it. It's in my Top 10, but yes, I agree that other episodes were much better.
                          Honestly though, I think we should all have a bet goin' on here! A show better than Buffy, Angel, and Veronica Mars which I thought was just amazing (minus Season 3). I guess I'll have to find out. Soon enough I'll be back I guess and saying what I think.
                          Last edited by CaptainOats; 06-06-09, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Yes, go out and buy it!!!

To answer your question, I suggest to you to watch the miniseries. Watch it in segments. Beware, though, because the miniseries can get pretty boring. It's almost all set-up, and I would suggest not forming an opinion on the show until you at least see a few REGULAR season 1 episodes Anyways, yes, it comes with the Season 1 DVD. And nah, you don't sound like an idiot. The BSG DVDs are completely insane. They released the miniseries on a separate DVD, then release Season 1 with the miniseries, then released Season 2 in 2 parts, (2.0 and 2.5), and then released the TV movie on DVD and then ALSO included it in the Season 4.0 DVD and it gets all confusing! So, 1 rule about the DVDs: just buy the season 1 ones and don't pay attention to "BSG: Miniseries" or "BSG: Razor", because they come with the seasons at the appropriate time to watch them

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Comment

• Blaster's got that right! They do make the DVDs a bit confusing.

But I also have to chime in and agree that I found the miniseries pretty boring. But stick through it. The series is really great. I almost didn't continue on after it but my (soon-to-be) husband convinced me it gets better. And I assure you, it does.
                              sigpic

Comment

• I'm trying to avoid this thread as much as possible as I'm halfway through s4 and don't want to be spoiled.. but I just wanted to chime in and say that I didn't mind the miniseries. It had a slow start and I was expecting a little more of a "bang" when the Cylons attacked earth but it had some truly brilliant moments. The scene where Laura realises she's going to be President is absolutely amazing and I think they did a great job in showing the sombreness of the attacks. That feeling of helplessness, shock and fear. It really harked back to September 11th and the feeling at the time.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• It's not that I didn't like the miniseries, I just had a hard time getting into it. Science fiction is a genre that is tricky for me. It took me a little while to see that the world of BSG was much like our own. The miniseries was just setting up all these things I was afraid I wouldn't like.

Nonetheless, I was pretty bored by it. Though, I must say, the very last scene is what made me really want to start watching the first season! :eek: << was me.
                                  sigpic

Comment

• Yeah I think I had the benefit of watching a lot of the series before the miniseries. The mini series felt far more Sci-Fi then the actual series does. I was up to s4 before I went back and watched the miniseries so I had already fallen in love with the characters. It was more of a interesting glance back for me to see how these characters started out, whereas if you watch it first you don’t have that.

Agree about the ending, that was amazing!

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

• I liked the miniseries a lot, it totally hooked me.
                                      Maybe because I loved the sci fi parts, the first two seasons are my favorite ones, since there was't all that much angsty drama back then.

Comment

• Just a very sketchy thought on the Daniel/Starbuck theories.

In the Book of Daniel in the Bible, Daniel makes reference to a number of prophecies which are then fulfilled in the Book of Revelations ("Revelations" also being the name of the 'apocalyptic' episode in which the Final Five and Starbuck lead the fleet to a burnt-out Earth). Revelations 10:7 completes Daniel's prophecies by saying
                                        But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as He hath declared to His servants the prophets.
                                        It would have made perfect sense if Daniel had been Kara's father... the seventh angel as in Daniel, the seventh Cylon, and Kara, his angel offspring... the "voice" being the "All Along the Watchtower" music which he taught to his daughter... and the prophets alternatively being Six and Gaius, or the Final Five.

Comment

• Great thoughts! It just makes the fact that he didn't turn out to be her father that much more frustrating. :/
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X