1.23 How To Stop an Exploding Man - Season finale discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.23 How To Stop an Exploding Man - Season finale discussion

It's been a few days since I've seen it, but let's start a discussion about this episode!

First of all, I'm not sure I really liked it.
    It's a strange thing with Heroes, the whole season has been intruiging, but not outstanding. The cliffhangers are great, and you just need to know what happens next, but there's nothing really really amazing. At least, I don't think so.
    Maybe the key problem is in the fact that there are so many characters. They do try to give them character development, and with some it goes better then with others.
    This episode finally let me like Nikki. It also finally cleared up her power for me. I mean, having an alter ego... that's no super power. And sure Jess was strong, but it wasn't truly shown as extraordinary.
    Nikki really came through though in this episode and took her own power into hands to save her son and husband.

Too bad Linderman is dead. he wasn't a really bad guy, and I loved his power (Power to heal). It would've been nice if Peter had absorbed that power too.

Talking about Peter... I'll miss him! I can't believe he's really dead though. Nathan probably is. Or not, since he could've flown to whereever, just before the explosion. So maybe Peter is able to heal himself again. Not sure.

Sylar not being dead.... *sigh* It would've been guts and all to do kill him. I'm bored with his character. The new bad guy that Molly brought into the story is much more intruiging!
    "I can't think of him, because if I think of him, he sees me!"
    ... scary! I wonder what's up with that guy. And what happens if he sees her

The fight started out really cool. With Nikki slamming Sylar. Peter and Sylar fighting and Hiro stabbing him.
    But it had a big anti-climax when Peter started to explode. And why was he suddenly not able to control it? He did before. Ted could, why not him?

I think it's a shame that they didn't expand the fightingscene and then killed Sylar for good. Then have Nathan and Peter fly up and leave us wondering for next season.
    Now the episode was a bit blah. Still I'm curious for next season. This season was all about getting to know our heroes, next season hopefully has more action!

I wish they'd put almost a full act into the fight scene. I assume that Peter absorbed Nikki's power when she got into it and that's why he was able to pound on Sylar suddenly.

I have a hard time thinking they'll kill Peter, especially having used up several minutes of exposition specifically for him using that guy in the dream thing.

The basic understanding I have is that, between absorbing other powers, trying to use more than one, and getting angry fighting Sylar, Peter just lost control of any of his powers, which is presumably also why he couldn't have flown himself away.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Comment

I just watched this season finale and I actually really enjoyed it. I have been watching Heroes all afternoon so that might have something to do with it. I thought it was great that this finale concentrated more on human relationships and interactions between certain characters than it did on action and big fight scenes. It made this finale much more compelling to me!

I really liked the "solution" with Nathan taking exploding Peter and flying him away. I did not expect that but I'm so glad that Nathan made this decision, that he chose to do something good, out of love for his brother, and not give in to the lure of power. I doubt that either Peter or Nathan are dead though, both are characters that are very well written and have been developed and explored extensively through the season. I guess Peter will be able to regenerate himself, not sure how Nathan can be saved though. I just hope that both will be back next season because the relationship between these two brothers is one my favourite things when it comes to Heroes.

Oh and can I just say how creeped out I am by Peter's and Nathan's mother? She is really scary!

I also liked all the interactions between Claire and her father (Noah Bennett, not Nathan) a lot. I hated Noah Bennett so many times throughout the season but he turned out to be a really good guy who genuinely loves his daughter.

Originally posted by Rosely View Post
      Sylar not being dead.... *sigh* It would've been guts and all to do kill him. I'm bored with his character. The new bad guy that Molly brought into the story is much more intruiging!
      I have to agree with you on that. I cheered so much when Hiro stabbed Sylar but of course they couldn't let him stay dead. I don't think that Sylar makes for a very compelling villain, he seems too one-dimensional to me. Yeah we saw him show some emotion when he visited his mother but he ended up killing her. I like villains to have some vulnerabilities, to have more aspects than just being evil and Sylar does not deliver in this department. I also thought that the guy Molly mentioned sounded very intriguing, but I guess we will learn more about him sooner or later, probably in season 2.

So all in all, I enjoyed this season finale. It did not blow me away like other recent season finales did but it was well done and left me wanting more! Roll on season 2!

Comment

Uluru

I've been thinking a lot about the new villian Molly mentioned and I came across one of Issac's old paintings, seen as early as the pilot. Could this be their next misson? To stop this thing? I looked on Wikipedia and this is what I discovered about Uluru.
        Originally posted by Wikipedia
        In the Heroes graphic novel Isaac's First Time, Isaac reveals to Eden that Uluru appeared to him when he got high before his first art gallery showing.
        Did he appear in a vision, or while he was having a vision, Uluru saw him, just as he saw Molly?

Comment

Originally posted by Cori View Post
          I really liked the "solution" with Nathan taking exploding Peter and flying him away. I did not expect that but I'm so glad that Nathan made this decision, that he chose to do something good, out of love for his brother, and not give in to the lure of power. I doubt that either Peter or Nathan are dead though, both are characters that are very well written and have been developed and explored extensively through the season. I guess Peter will be able to regenerate himself, not sure how Nathan can be saved though. I just hope that both will be back next season because the relationship between these two brothers is one my favourite things when it comes to Heroes.
          I agree I loved this solution to things too. I know Nathan was going to let Peter do this for the sake of his own future but I love how in the end he just can't sacrifice his brother... we see this over and over again, no matter how much Nathan wants to be hard and cold, he always ends up being there for Peter.....

I think they will both come back. Well I am hoping. I know Peter will because in the future that we saw, he had exploded and regenerated so we know he can do that. Although in that future he did explode on land so all his "parts" would've been there, if he exploded out in the open space I wonder where all his parts will go
          I would love if Nathan flew him high up and then quickly flew away from him just as he was about to explode so that he could survive it too. Ultimately I'd prefer peter over Nathan any day though.

I really loved this episode. I thought it was just what we needed, it was closure and then at the same time it wasn't. Many things were solved, Nikki learned to control her power, she and DL found Micah, Hiro got to "kill" Sylar - like he'd been trying to do all season and all the other characters had some kind of solution one way or the other. We finally realise that it's really is Peter who's meant to explode and there's nothing he can do to stop it. I suppose this was the most pressing worry of the last few episodes... I'm very happy with this episode and ofcourse it has to end with a cliffhanger, there's gotta be something for next season, right?
          >> and we want s p e c t a c u l a r v i e w s if we're to stay for the w e e k e n d <<

Comment

Talking about Peter... I'll miss him! I can't believe he's really dead though. Nathan probably is. Or not, since he could've flown to whereever, just before the explosion. So maybe Peter is able to heal himself again. Not sure.
            Why would Peter die from the explosion?
            In Five Years Lost we saw that Peter was the one that had caused the explosion and that he had survived, obviously regenerated, so I just assumed he would survive this too. I was only wondering whether or not when he stuck himself back together if that was where the scar came from or if it was something else entirely... who knows, maybe we'll never see that scar again... heh, lol. :P

I felt the ending was really quite anti-climatic tbh. Five Years Lost is probably my favourite episode as we near the end. I really liked how all of the heroes came together in the end, and they all met up and ran into one another, but I would have loved to have seen more of a fight between Sylar and the heroes... he had so many around him that had powers and he wasn't interested in taking a single one of them... if he had, and he had more powers he would have been more powerful to fight Peter.

Also what really bugged me, is... if Sylar was alive when Claire was there and he was dying... why the hell did he not use his powers to steal hers so he could live? I mean, why just creep off the way he did? All he wanted was her ability and he could have done it since everyone had assumed he was dead and no one was fighting him... they were all way too concerned with Peter, even though all he did was glow a little.

Lol. Yes, I'm moaning, lol. Truth is I did really like this episode, there were just so many things about it that I wish they had done, or that I felt seemed odd as it got right to the end there.

When Peter started going nuclear I thought we might have a Company Man scene with things around him beginning to catch fire and the nearby buildings being affected... and the town really seriously being on the brink of blowing up... i thought it might have been a lot more suspenseful (is that a word?) than it was. They all just stood together and watched as Peter flowed. I dunno... I just felt there should have been something more to it.

Ahem... my 1.11am ranting session is over, I'm working at 6.30am, eep!Must sleep. And tomorrow I may edit this post to make it slightly more coherent, lol.
            SJ
            xox
            sigpic
            Art by Sayjay at Radiance

Comment

I dunno, I thought it was great really.
              Maybe Sylar didn't have enough power to do it when Claire got there. Plus he wanted Peter dead so he was too focused on him (Not to mention Parkman and DL were close to death, maybe he didn't want them).

Annyway, the episode just ended about half an hour for us Australians, I liked the Nikki/candice fight scene, also liked the Nathan/Peter scene. Can't wait for the second season, hope now everyone together that they actually work together.

I wonder who Molly was talking about, if he is worse then Sylar, then the hereos better not seperate and go halfway around the ctountry, I would like to see them working together, especially Nikki/Claire working together because they are the only main girls on it.
              Last edited by Willow's Tara; 05-07-07, 01:54 PM.

Hilda Celeriac: You better tell me everything or I am gonna go Lex Luthor on your ass!
              Hey guys, if you know Amber is coming to Brisbane or anywhere near it, then page me (Well PM, just referencing Buffy)

Comment

Working...
              X