Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Episode 7.08 "Blue" Discussion - Spoilers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 7.08 "Blue" Discussion - Spoilers!

Wow. I cannot believe that no one's made a discussion thread for this HUGE episode. Seriously. This sucker was...wow.

For those of us who want a refresher as to what this episode was about...

Originally posted by The CW
    HELEN SLATER RETURNS AS LARA-EL; CLARK MEETS HIS BIOLOGICAL MOTHER FOR THE FIRST TIME - Clark (Tom Welling) hears the voice of his biological mother, Lara (guest star Helen Slater), calling for help from Kara's (Laura Vandervoort) crystal and decides to release her, despite Jor-El's warnings. Lara and Clark reunite and she gives him Jor-El's ring, which contains blue kryptonite. As Clark puts it on, he realizes Zor-El (guest star Christopher Heyerdahl) manipulated the whole thing and that blue kryptonite strips him of his powers, enabling Zor-El to take control of the Fortress of Solitude.

Meanwhile, Chloe (Allison Mack) and Lex (Michael Rosenbaum) each discover Lois (Erica Durance) and Grant (Michael Cassidy) have been seeing each other and warn them to stop.
    I didn't expect this episode to be so jam-packed with plot twists and action scenes, honestly. It felt like a season finale, to me - although, not like a blockbuster finale, more like a smaller finale like 5.22 "Vessel."

I can't really formulate a coherent review of the episode at a moment but I will give the gist of my thoughts...

-Helen Slater isn't the best actress but certainly played the role of Lara very well. She has a nifty maternal vibe to her which was crucial in this episode.
    -Chloe's reaction after finding out about Lois and Grant was priceless. Allison Mack was on the ball in the episode - what with her confrontation with Lois and her scenes with Clark being highly entertaining.
    -Tom Welling performed at the top of his game, in my opinion. This isn't something I usually say about Mr. Welling but he did extremely well in this episode.
    -Kara's...in Detroit? What the frak? And she has no idea who she is? Oh boy. This scene made me go "OMG!" out-loud.
    -A bigger "OMG!" followed shortly after when the reason why Lex and Grant are in cohoots with each other hit the surface: Grant is Julian Luthor. I screamed. Literally. Screamed. That was one of the best reveals in Smallville history. I don't think I've ever screamed during a SV episode like I did at that scene.
    -This episode could've served as a perfect season finale if the show didn't have 15 episodes ready to air before the strike started. Especially when Jor-El tells Clark that there "must be consequences" and the scene is filled with white light. That, on top of the Kara and Grant plot twists and cliffhangers, was a perfect ending to a great episode.
    -The direction/cinematography and special effects in this episode were brilliant. The elicpse was spiffy and the scene with the Fortress of Solitude and the eclipse in the sky has been etched into my mind. Plus, the scene where Zor-El shows up at Ollie's condo where Lara and Lana are and then Clark opens the elevator doors and we see Lana come flying into the elevator cage? Awesomeness. Not because I hate Lana - because I actually like her a LOT this season - but because it was just really well done. Much like the rest of this episode.

Unfortunately, we have to wait until December 13th before we see the next new episode of Smallville (7.09 "Gemini"). But this episode definitely made this season of SV the most exciting and entertaining one yet.
    Heather
    the AFAs are here!
    Last edited by Heather; 18-11-07, 12:00 AM.
    wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Originally posted by Heather
    A bigger "OMG!" followed shortly after when the reason why Lex and Grant are in cohoots with each other hit the surface: Grant is Julian Luthor. I screamed. Literally. Screamed. That was one of the best reveals in Smallville history. I don't think I've ever screamed during a SV episode like I did at that scene.
    ME TOO!!! I scared the cats, I was shrieking so excitedly! Did not see that coming! Though oddly enough I had just thought to myself during the pool playing scene that Grant had a similar gait and body shape to Lex. Which was odd because the actor that plays Grant looked nothing like this when he was on the OC. I could only recognize his voice when he first appeared on the show. It took Cori actually making the connection and then an awful lot of hard thinking for him to match up in my mind. Whoops, rambled there. But OMG Julian!!!

Poor Kara! However did she end up in Detroit?!! I am very curious on how Kara and SV gang will be able to reunite. And what about Clark's "consequences"? What will that mean?! Wow, I didn't realize it will be four weeks to the next episode. They spoil us with 8 in a row!

I definitely agree with how this show felt on the scale of a season finale. I got more caught up in the whirlwind of what was happening and who was facing off in each scene. I especially loved Clark's scene in the alleyway facing off with Zor El. Brilliantly shot and special effected as always.

Oh and ditto to everything else you said. You hit all my fave high points. Chloe's face to Lois/Grant. Or Lana getting slammed into the wall. She hit with such force I actually wondered if she was okay. EEP! Very dramatic and tense throughout!

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I think you pretty much summed it up Heather

Well, I wanted to cry seeing Kara lying in the middle of the street. In the rain. Oh, and the confused look on her face just told me there was something very wrong with her

I really loved the scene between Lara and Lana. I don't know exactly why I enjoyed it so much, though. For a second, I thought Lana was actually twisted Lana and that something was up with her. But I liked Lara pointing out the whole dark Lana thing. And then telling her to run. I was kind of confused as to where Clark and Lana stand after last week's episode, but I guess they're okay for now? I really don't mind either way right now, because there are obviously bigger issues at hand.

God, how much abuse can Lionel take? Getting kidnapped, thrown about...

Well, I'm glad they addressed why Grant *really* hired Lois. Still don't like them together, and I was so glad Chloe confronted Lois about it. But especially after the big reveal about his true identity, I'm warming up to his presence.

This episode was so huge, and I was practically in awe throughout the whole thing, so I really wish I had more to say! But I'm just wondering how they're going to top it with an ACTUAL finale.
      would you do anything for me

buy a new diamond ring for me

Comment

I agree with you, Heather, this episode was big and definitely felt like a finale. I have to say that I really enjoyed the last few episodes of SV and this one was no exception. Let's hope that s7 will continue to be as good as it is now.

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
        ME TOO!!! I scared the cats, I was shrieking so excitedly! Did not see that coming! Though oddly enough I had just thought to myself during the pool playing scene that Grant had a similar gait and body shape to Lex. Which was odd because the actor that plays Grant looked nothing like this when he was on the OC. I could only recognize his voice when he first appeared on the show. It took Cori actually making the connection and then an awful lot of hard thinking for him to match up in my mind. Whoops, rambled there. But OMG Julian!!!
        Right there with ya on the shrieking! I haven't been this shocked and/or excited about a SV plot twist in a long time. I mean I was already shocked finding out that it was Lex who was in cahoots with Grant (and not Lionel). And then finding out that Grant is actually Julian, that was just awesome! It's so mean that they did that right before this little hiatus though.

As for the actor playing Grant/Julian, it's the hair, that's why he looks so different. Plus on SV, he actually does not have a boring role like on the O.C.

Still, I do not like him and Lois being a couple. Chloe was so spot-on and just downright awesome when she told Lois off, I was like "go Chloe, you tell her" all through her little speech.

Poor Kara! However did she end up in Detroit?!! I am very curious on how Kara and SV gang will be able to reunite.
        Another nice plot twist, which I totally did not expect. However, the whole amnesia thing has been done to death in TV shows so I really hope that the SV writers somehow find a new angle to this and make it interesting. It's gonna be especially interesting to see how Kara will react when she finds out she has superpowers (assuming she still has them and they didn't go away like her memory).

Another scene I enjoyed immensely was the one between Lara and Lana. I thought it was great that Lara could see right through Lana and that she warned her about not giving in to darkness. Although of course I hope that Lana does not listen to her because I enjoy dark evil Lana way more than normal Lana! I also liked how nervous Lana was when she first met Lara, I thought KK played that quite believably. I mean, imagine meeting the long lost mother of your boyfriend for the first time, that would certainly freak me out. Plus of course Lana was worried about Lara finding out about the whole darkness thing.

So on the whole, a very dramatic, exciting and gripping episode and the Julian plot twist is just awesome! I'm curious where the writers will go from here.

Comment

Oh. My. Gawd.

This episode was made by Smallville? Really? How?

It is amazing. I love Smallville mytharc now and Zor-El and Kara and Lara were all at their best. I loved Jor-El's, "There must be consequences" cliffhanger and Kara in Detroit with amnesia? WHAT!? Also, first comes the shock that Grant's in cahoots with Lex, but then comes the shock that his real name is Julian Luthor! :eek: I screamed at my TV, in shock! All was top notch, all was extraordinary. Let me hear an OMFG!

I love my shows.

Comment

In case I forget this later...was anyone else thinking..."that's not Julian Luthor, Lex is just fcking with him for his own ends?" That's what I was assuming anyway...partly because I didn't want all the slashy tension between them to be incestuous. But also because...well, all seems just a bit too convenient a way for Lex to have power over his puppetman.

-Kara's...in Detroit? What the frak? And she has no idea who she is? Oh boy. This scene made me go "OMG!" out-loud.
            Can I up that to an OMGWTF!!!? Seriously? Memory loss? Loving your melodramatic ways, my lovely little Smallville.

My main thought about this ep? Note to self, Kryptonian families FREAKY. Seriously, when Lara mistakes Clark for his father...um, little barflex there for me. And Zor-el (TWOP recaps VERY funny about his act-orrrly tendencies) is the creepiest, incest-y-est father since Claire's dad on Heroes. That hug was NOT normal. Ew ew ew ew ew.

But funny.

Originally posted by Cori View Post
            I agree with you, Heather, this episode was big and definitely felt like a finale. I have to say that I really enjoyed the last few episodes of SV and this one was no exception. Let's hope that s7 will continue to be as good as it is now.
            Amen to that!

Another scene I enjoyed immensely was the one between Lara and Lana.
            Yeah. Though I was thinking...if you think Clark's girlfriend is evil, why not suggest he break up with her? Unless she thinks Clark takes after her in needing a slightly evil (Jor-El, not a nice dude) partner to give them a chance to change them.

Although of course I hope that Lana does not listen to her because I enjoy dark evil Lana way more than normal Lana!
            Me too!

Oh and...points to Lionel for sticking up for Clark even while getting smushed by evil uncle Zor-El!

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

well, everyone else pointed out all the greats of this eppy...but I have one idea floating around in my head...what if the writers are introducing Grant as Julian to have a possible big-bad if there's a S8? Since MR isn't coming back, maybe the writers are trying to fill the gap, so to speak?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
                well, everyone else pointed out all the greats of this eppy...but I have one idea floating around in my head...what if the writers are introducing Grant as Julian to have a possible big-bad if there's a S8? Since MR isn't coming back, maybe the writers are trying to fill the gap, so to speak?
                Julian as Big Bad? Interesting...though I still think he's a clone or something, not the real Julian...

is MR def not coming back? That's sad.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Working...
                X