Moonlight: Season 1 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonlight: Season 1 Discussion

I know there's another thread about Moonlight, but that was about whether it was just like Angel or not--I thought there should be a thread discussing the show in general like some of the other new shows have.

Personally I've been very impressed with Moonlight since the first or second epp--it has REALLY improved dramatically since the pilot, perhaps thanks to David Greenwault's last minute help. I especially liked the last three epps: Fever was really exciting and thrilling, almost like a 24 episode or something, and was amazing even without the presence of Josef! Meanwhile tonight's epp was great as well;
    Spoiler:
    I loved the kiss at the end!
    Sophia Myles and Alex O'Loughlin really do have some great chemistry, and they played that scene really well IMO--you could tell how badly Mick yearned for more! Honestly, I do think his acting is improving--he seems to be good at wry humor at least--I loved when he raised the one eyebrow at the woman shouting at him as he commented in VO about humans liking to shout in the last epp! And again, the MoTW was not something covered in ATS--not that any of them strictly are actually. The in-between shots are still a bit rip-offy, but for the most part the show stands on its own two legs IMO--which is great, b/c the world can always use another good vampire show!

I just hope it gets a full season...at least I heard that CBS has asked for 4 more scripts, which is supposedly a good sign....

Anyway, anyone else enjoy the show? What are your thoughts on the season so far? Do you think the relationship b/t Mick and Beth is moving too fast? (Poor Josh!)
    Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

I adore Moonlight! It's fast become one of the few shows I look forward to each week!!! I can't get enough of it.

Fever was my favorite. Vampires, in the desert, needing ice water, brilliantly fresh! And whew, Mick feeding off Beth was definitely a hell of a first kiss.

I liked seeing how each of them awkwardly reacted to that shared moment in this week's episode. And then finally get a real kiss at the end. I had to rewind the moment a few times because that smile at the end was one of the most joyous and carefree smiles ever. After ATS, Happy is a refreshing emotion to see.

I love how Mick has this wide range of emotions. He has regret over being a vampire, but he knows that's the hand fate dealt him. He doesn't weigh himself down with remorse of the vampire's curse but instead tries to live each day in the best way he, Mick St. James the human, can.

Vampire stories have been quite scarce in the past decade since Buffy and Angel were the foremost pop cultural vampiric tale. All other production companies steered clear of vampires for fear of being compared. So I'm really glad for a new type of vamp tale and this one really has a lot of potential as well as already served up many delightful moments.

I do think the Pilot was a mess. It's to be expected from the number of different creative minds rewriting the episode. But what emerged is definitely strong and each week has been more and more engaging.

I have not found Mick's acting to be a problem. For me it has been the interaction between characters that has been weak. And I think that is because the director has not been giving the actors proper feedback and direction. An actor really doesn't know how they are appearing on screen until it is much too late for the scene.

I love the costume director and director of photography. The show looks gorgeous and the clothing looks so sleek and matches the tone of the show. And I'm not one for fashion, but Mick's suits and jackets have been droolicious.

I think the story is about Mick and Beth and this moment in time that they are each this same age. So I don't exactly believe the show is moving too fast. Not to mention, a show really has to show its stuff the first few episodes if it wants to pull in viewers and be picked up. I believe there is more Mick and Beth backstory to be revealed. He has watched her since she was a young child and he'll keep watching her grow old while he stays the same. He's trying to hold her away from this while she's the one so drawn to him. I love how Mick is such a warm, thoughtful, and emotional man. Whereas the stereotype of a dead monster vampire is the exact opposite.

The narration is such a comfort to me. I love how it lets us see the world through his eyes more than seeing it through your own. Maybe they aren't the most poignant revelations, but each of his life views aptly sets the tone of the episode as we see the truth of the view unfold. I also love how it allows for snarky comments when speaking aloud would ruin everything. It's nice that he can remain so stoic on the outside but so alive and funny on the inside.

Anyway, back to Mick and Beth. There's also the whole Coraline story to be dealt with. There are so many promos and article references with Shannon Sossamyn that I have to believe her character has more of a role than a few shadowy flashbacks. I also think that once the show gives its full attention to the Mick and Beth relationship, it will then delve more into the vampire culture and politicking. Josef is too rich a character to only have a few minutes per episode devoted to him.

I truly adore this show and may be my second fave show on tv. Chuck is fighting it tooth and nail. Supernatural obviously my fave. Anyway, I'm thinking about downloading from itunes all the episodes so I can rewatch them. I've been afraid to tape the show for fear of jinxing how good it has been.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Well, unfortunately, I've only seen the first episode and did not like it. But, with some convincing from my friend, Katharine and some luck, I saw the last half of tonight's episode.

And I really, really liked it.

I loved the whole idea of a vampire fix and the scene in the club was love I also liked when Beth got her fix. And Josef is awesome, still The last scene with el Lola fight was nice, and cool to see her side of the story. Not much more to say seeing as I've only seen 1 1/2 episodes

Comment

Still waiting to see tonight's epp, but I saw this article on syfy portal that made me dance with glee!

http://www.syfyportal.com/news424361.html

Things seem to be looking up for Moonlight--maybe its chances of a full season aren't so crazy after all! *vigorously knocks on wood*

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Yeah, Moonlight has been having pretty decent ratings (for a vampire show, on Friday night, and lots of neg press). And it also usually has most of its episodes in the top 100 itunes downloads. Which reminds me, I need to do that.

I love the Mick/Beth relationship. Tonights episode was to die for quotable, particularly the scene outside the club.

This show seems to have a concentrated purpose and design and I have to appreciate that and believe it will lead to further solid episode. This show always leaves me with a smile and the "awwwwww don't make me wait a WHOLE week until the next episode" feeling. Maybe more so than any other show on right now.

It's managed to capture the breathtaking autonomy that Lestat exuded in early Anne Rice novels (minus the arrogance). There's also that sense of wonder yet worldliness. In the Buffyverse, vampires were trapped and confined by their need to "be evil" or like Angel brood about it. I love how Moonlight really just has portrayed vampires as basically just like humans. Obviously there are the miscreants that cause trouble, but humans have their fair share of that. Mostly the vampires just want to live in the world and enjoy it.

I also love the filming of the show, the coloring and lighting/darkness, and background elements. Visually everything feels alive and almost tactile or stimulating to the senses. And this episode really brought home how the show is doing this on purpose to illustrate the preternatural senses of the vampire. I love the scene when Beth is describing how she can feel all the molecules of air. How amazing does that sound? And then it's followed by the beautiful shower scene with all the droplets of water lit like diamonds. Truly alive.

Well I rambled too long on other posts, I'll have to come back with a better review on this episode. This show could really be heading in an interesting direction if they don't mess it up by doing something cliche. Pretty much everything else has been fresh or at least a new perspective.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Okay, so according to RedEye, Moonlight has 11 out of 13 ordered scripts done-meaning 5 more epps, and that it "has not received an order for a full season"--now this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but then for other shows it inserted the word "yet" in there, as if it was still up in the air for other shows, but not for Moonlight. Now I'm not sure if this is deliberate, or just a mistake or bias against Moonlight (which I've seen a lot against critics). Anyone know more?

At least we'll be getting 5 more epps!

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Has anyone seen tonight's episode? If so, what did you think?
              "Love isn't brains, children, it's blood...blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it."
              - Spike
              http://world3.monstersgame.us/?ac=vid&vid=383001568

Comment

I saw it. It was better when it was Angel 2.05 "Dear Boy". Seriously, this was a complete flaming ripoff of that episode. I don't know if I feel better or worse about that knowing that David Greenwalt was involved with the show at one point.

The show isn't all bad. I don't find the more Anne Rice-ian, emo, long-suffering idea of vampires as the more classical view brought back to prominence in the Buffyverse, but it's not badly done. I think Jason Dohring is doing a solid job.
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  I saw it. It was better when it was Angel 2.05 "Dear Boy". Seriously, this was a complete flaming ripoff of that episode.

Wow, I so didn't even realize that until right now, haha, where was I? Other than that, and the many other similarities to Angel, I actually think this show is alright. When I saw the first episode I was not a fan, haha. All I could think of was that I was watching an Angel 2.0, but it has grown on me.
                  "Love isn't brains, children, it's blood...blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it."
                  - Spike
                  http://world3.monstersgame.us/?ac=vid&vid=383001568

Comment

I have to say I actually prefered this to Angel 2.05 Dear Boy. When watching that, everyone was aware that Darla was back from the dead, how it happened, and who she was working with - so watching it, everyone knew Angel was correct in saying it was Darla from the start.

With Moonlight however, I was genuinely wondering if Morgan was Corraline(sp?). Here we had Josef, another vampire who had known her for longer, completely buying into her Morgan story, and Mick, the only one completely convinced that she is Corraline. At the end of the day, I sort of knew it was going to turn out to be her, as I didn't think they would have Mick go through all of that for it to turn out to just be some random person. However, I really enjoyed the way they let it play out, with Mick and Josef both with their competing views on Morgan, and the questions the episode left us with: will Beth remember what happened? Why is Corraline back? How is Corraline back? And so on, I think it made for an interesting episode that left us with a lot of things to find out in the coming episodes, whereas the Angel ep didn't do that for me.

The other thing is, Darla wasn't trying to replicate her death scene and throw it in Angel's face, she was pretending to be someone else, with a family and a life, that Angel just happened to see, and just happened to follow. Whereas this was far more deliberate at personally attacking Mick by mirroring Corraline's death scene systematically, and getting much further under his skin than I think Darla's plan did to Angel.

But, I also liked how Mick believes her to be Morgan at the end of it, giving in to the idea that he is allowing his mind to play tricks on him; when in fact he was right all along. With the Dear Boy episode, Angel found out it obviously was Darla, and so did everybody else. This episode leaves far open, as to what is going to happen in the future, and I kind of love that about this episode.

Okay, so when I first started watching Moonlight, I didn't think the day would ever come when I was defending it against Angel, but hey, I am! I really enjoyed this episode, and have actually been loving the series so far (episode 2 onwards anyway) and it definitely seems to be picking up in stride, and with these new twists I can't wait to see what happens. Not to menton Mick and Beth's characters are seriously growing on me... but one question..... where the hell was Beth's usual camera-man??? I love him,

Well, that's me done for now,
                    SJ
                    xox
                    sigpic
                    Art by Sayjay at Radiance

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                      I saw it. It was better when it was Angel 2.05 "Dear Boy". Seriously, this was a complete flaming ripoff of that episode. I don't know if I feel better or worse about that knowing that David Greenwalt was involved with the show at one point.
                      Uh, the practice of supposedly dead loves coming back is a long time staple of soaps. Angel didn't invent it. At no point did it feel like some uber-evil law firm has decided to screw with his happy life. Corraline is pure possessive and selfish twisted whim. It's so wrong how she has twice pulled Beth into her web to trap Mick.

The show isn't all bad. I don't find the more Anne Rice-ian, emo, long-suffering idea of vampires as the more classical view brought back to prominence in the Buffyverse, but it's not badly done. I think Jason Dohring is doing a solid job.
                      Emo? Louis is an exception to Anne Rice novels. Personal whims, obsessive egomaniacal designs, and vapid personal introspection make up most of her novels. While broodiness and emo tortured attitude is Angel from minute one in BTVS. And then Spike probably around Fool for Love.

Moonlight's Mick has been relatively free of all the angst, torture, and personal grandstanding of both Buffyverse and Anne Riceverse. Sure it's coming, but adding the angst is pretty basic formula for any show.

If I loved last week for all the happy, I loved this one for all the twists and dark obsessiveness. As much as I knew it had to be Coraline, I couldn't find any flaw in her performance to prove it was her until the final reveal. Though I did find it cute that Mick could believe it was possible for her to somehow be human but not to have gotten a tattoo removed...or covered it as we found out. Loved that final scene as Coraline turns away from Beth, smirks and saunters to her mirror to revel in her win. Lovin' the music on the show. The first episode seemed weak with Ev's My Immortal, but since then it's all been non-popular but still entrancing.

I loved how the flashbacks were done. Especially the first one where the entire world was black and white and only Coraline was in color. Alive and passionate. I also loved the symbolism of her keeping the glass window between them just daring him to break though it and his human inhibitions. Bravo, Coraline. I hope you continue to bring meaningful games to the show.

So poor Beth once again pushed aside like an innocent child pawn while the adults squabble. I wonder when she will get filled in on her previous role in the Coraline/Mick relationship.

Josef was great! His animation while they tried to draw Coraline out of the lie had me giggling. And Coraline impressed me to no end that she managed to keep a straight face the entire time and not laugh. Josef's rusty vampire moves was good for a laugh and on the interesting side that here's a vampire proud of his vampirism but becoming domesticated and bound to worldly things and losing touch with the night.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post

Josef was great! His animation while they tried to draw Coraline out of the lie had me giggling. And Coraline impressed me to no end that she managed to keep a straight face the entire time and not laugh. Josef's rusty vampire moves was good for a laugh and on the interesting side that here's a vampire proud of his vampirism but becoming domesticated and bound to worldly things and losing touch with the night.
                        OMG the idea of Jason being a vampire was what drew me to the show in the first place, I was a huge Logan fan from VM; but I think that JD has just slipped into this character with such ease, and the scenes in this ep were no exception: I thought Josef was great throughout the episode (and also in last week's), but I loved how he tried to keep Mick grounded, and we really saw the side to Josef where he really does care about what is going on in Mick's life, and he really does consider him a great friend and even goes along with him on his investigation, almost keeping an eye on him,

Although, what I'd really love to see, is when Josef and Mick first meet. Also, was that Josef in Coraline's appartment when Mick went to the door? I found it odd we never saw his face, and was sitting thinking, omg! It's Josef! But hey, that's probably my over-active imagination, :P

I love the parallel you pulled out of Josef and his attitude toward vampirism and what it means to him; but what I love about Mick's attitude toward it is that as much as he would go back to being human in a heartbeat (:P) he is so at ease with his vampire attributes and what they allow him to do, I reckon he'd be lost if he were human again, IMO.

Anyway, rambling done. Not my most thought-out thoughts, I'm having a brain-dead day, :P
                        SJ
                        xox
                        sigpic
                        Art by Sayjay at Radiance

Comment

Rambling good! I too wondered if it might be Josef as well. Why didn't we see?! So either there's another connection between the three or it leaves it open for another player. I love how this show has created this tanged mess of history. We know enough to understand the general plot, but they are able to slowly reveal tasty tidbits which add new dimensions to the story we feel is the truth.

I agree I love how Mick is so comfortable with being a vampire. The "I would go back" statements actually feel out of character and I think it may be his love for Beth. He's obviously drawn to her but would never betray her like Coraline did to him and turn Beth. Also, since Coraline burned him so badly I think he involuntarily associates and fears all relationships will have that same element. Sophia Myles has captured Beth with such childlike openness, I think Mick would hate to do anything to jeopardize Beth's view of the world. Not to mention Coraline pulled Beth into this world in the first place and that memory haunts him.

Josef was destined to rule as a character once Dohring was attached. From Logan he has perfected untouchable dashing arrogance. He channels it unashamedly but Lola made a heck of a reveal into his character last week when she likened him to Mick among other things. It makes oh so much more sense why the two are friends. Which is something I have puzzled considering their two disparate world views. Perhaps Josef was even more like Mick and then the years changed him. Then this week, I got the sense of the two actually just being opposing halves of the same mind just separated by time and experience.

Immortality and the passing of time are such an important part to the vampire's curse, yet, they aren't so often explored in tv shows. So this is another reason I appreciate the flashbacks to time periods that don't feel archaic and unfamiliar like in BTVS/ATS. The passing of time feels more real and easier to grasp. Though Josef's random jokes such as "when I was four it was 1599" are hilarious.

See I can ramble too!

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I AM LOVING THE HECK OUT OF THIS SHOW!!

Thanks Sherillina for starting a new thread to discuss it!!

So far - loved every episode! But Fever and Arrested Development have been two of my favorites!

The BITE in Fever was so GOOD!!! But the Kiss is AD was - meh. It was a little to sweet and chaste for my taste - but I am a "randy devil".

Absolutely love the connection between Mick and Beth - they have good chemistry - but Sophia could have carried the "jealousy" scenes just a little bit more - I wasn't completely convinced.

Jason Doering is just amazing! Loved him in AD - the whole staring at Beth thing - was so funny!

If the Ringer was a Rip-off of AtS Dear Boy - then I'm sure Dear Boy was a rip-off of Forever Knight. Actually as the show continues I see more comparison with Knight than AtS. Which is good - because FK was a great show!

Alex O'Loughlin is just GORGEOUS! And he morphs so well into each era. His skills are definitely getting better with every episode.

I think you have something there Ehlwyn - perhaps Josef started out so much like Mick in the beginning - even looking for a way out - a cure for vampirism - that as time as passed he has given up his humanity. It may actually be more frightening for him to return to being a human. But for Mick - he's still a "young" vampire and can remember certain "human" traits - the smell of a steak at a certain restaurant. It may be easier for him to make the transition back - if ever there was one.

In FK they addressed it in an episode as being a "Vampire Fable" that Vampires could become human again... The lead vampire detective "Nick" was always seeking a way to become human.

I love this show - and I'm really glad it's doing fairly well in the ratings. Maybe we will see more after the holidays.
                            -TP<3
                            "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                            - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

What a great episode!!! Loved the whole storyline!

I have to tell you - one of the reasons I like this show is because Mick is not a "wimpy" vampire! I love the fight scenes between Mick and the other vampires!!

And what about our balcony scene at the end?/ They really have such a sweet thing going on between them - it's irresistable.

Wow!! The scenes from next week between he and Corraline look very HOTT!
                              -TP<3
                              "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

It's not that I don't enjoy watching this series - I do - but it's for the romance between Mick and Beth, and I can drive a freakin' truck through the various lame pretexts employed by the writers to account for WHY they aren't able to get together - which frustrates me to no end!

ie: my post is a critical lament, a product of wanting to see something we haven't already ( alla Whedon's star-crossed lovers; sigh.)

Take tonight's episode "12:04 AM"....

Beth discovers the truth at last. It was Mick who saved her all those years ago. Her reaction? She's found her mysterious guardian angel and happy to have done so. She just wanted to know why he couldn't tell her, etc.

CLEARLY she's okay with it, Mick! She doesn't look at you like you're this evil guy who murdered his wife and then set about stalking a blonde for the next 15 years. CLEARLY she finds you attractive! BIG green light!

Oh but I can't... I'm a Vampire; we have no future. I can't stay out in the desert sun for more than a few HOURS, I'm only able to resist feeding on humans unless I'm at death's door & desperate and forced to let you donate a pint, and obviously that's gonna happen a lot so we can't risk it. As I'm a monster struggling to deny my natural instincts - just ask Joseph, he knows all about those. And unlike him, I can't enjoy being a Vampire; I mean, just because I have this intense gaze and smoldering bedroom eyes, doesn't mean I don't know that it's wrong to drink blood from people willing to give it freely in exchange for great sex. Because I do. I'm the hero. It's on my resume. So we're doomed Beth, DOOMED!

WTF?!

Ie: I hate the milking. And the endless lame obsticles used to keep these two apart. We've been there and done that already for years in the Jossverse, no? Via: I can't - I have a gypsy curse! She won't - I don't have a soul! Oh the weight and burden etc etc. Sigh.

Now, "Blood Ties" is admittedly a weaker, low-budget Canadian series with none of the production values of this better produced effort by CBS. But at least Henry Fitzroy doesn't have tedious crosses to bear. And I wish they'd do that on Moonlight. Lift it above roads well-travelled already, and explore new ground, you know? For I really love the relationship between Beth and Mick ( it's why I watch the series ) and I want to them pursue it in earnest. Not circling endlessly around it, season after season.

For at the end of the day (imo) no one watches these Vampire shows because they love Agatha Christie or Columbo. It's not about detective work or crime solving. It's about passion. And wanting to see it.

http://home.cablenet.ca/mhaws/henry_sig_ban.jpg

Comment

I believe you're transferring too much of your Buffy/Angel frustration on this show. When I watch this show I consistently think how refreshing it is that it isn't mired in all the brooding and regret of being a vampire.

Personally I am glad that Mick isn't ready to dive into bed with Beth. Just because two people are attracted to each other does not mean that they have to immediately start a deep relationship. Their friendship and flirtatious dance of attraction has been very free for me.

Also I would have been extremely disappointed if his "secret" of being her guardian angel/stalker over all these years was the real reason standing between a romantic relationship between them.

Right now, I'm guessing Coraline as that obstacle. Coraline brought Beth into Mick's life and I have to believe that Mick can't forget that. Especially now that Coraline has recently manifested as Morgan. Last week, we heard Mick obsessively recall the FEVER that Coraline elicited in him. My heart broke as he said this honestly and obliviously in front of Beth and she realized he didn't feel that way about her. Mick's going to have to come to some peace about Coraline/Morgan before he will pursue something with Beth.

Mick has been around for 80 years, the span of a few months is barely anything to him. Mick is also a very steady person more geared to thinking, planning, and a long courtship. Which is why the fever Coraline evokes in him is so compelling to him.

No doubt Mick has feelings about Beth. But they are more rooted with the human aspect that still remains of Mick. I do not find it coincidental that the episode in which he drinks of Beth is called Fever as well. As much as he wants to be human, he'll always be drawn to the fire of vampirism.

But right now vampirism is interlocked with Coraline. And therefore cannot yet reconcile his human and vampire selves to a whole in which to love Beth and have a deep romantic relationship with her.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I do understand and identify with your frustration Marie...

It's refreshing to finally have a vampire that "embraces" his vampire life AND manages to do good as well.

My frustration of Blood Ties in comparison with Buffy/Angel (before Moonlight) was the fight scenes and Henry sometimes coming off a little "wimpy". But now I think it was mostly due to the budget constraints as Henry seems a little more "fiercer" this Season compared with last.

Which leads into why I liked Moonlight immediately - finally got my fighting vampire back!

In regards to the Corraline/Mick/Beth tri - another draw for Mick is the thought that maybe Coraline has found a way to become human again. Which could offer the opportunities of a "normal" relationship with Coraline - a second chance so to speak - or a "normal" relationship with Beth.

I'm really curious as to whether Coraline has truly found a way to become human again...
                                    -TP<3

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Ah Mick you can bite me anytime! As a matter of fact I wouldn't mind having a little nibble at your neck? What do you see in that Beth creature anyway?
                                      You must have a great time at your high school reunions, you could go as your own grandson!
                                      I really want to know why you sleep in a freezer? Do you go off otherwise?I'd quit that habit if you want the fans to cuddle up to you.
                                      You have competition you know as Henry over at Lifetime is building up his own fan base. He's not like you as he actually seems to like being a vampire and being a little bit bad occasionally, plus he has lots of other monsters to play with! Think about that.
                                      You need better writers, I mean think of the possibilities that immortality could bring rather than all the bad things like daily blood. Think how valuable you could be to the Space Program, you could go to Mars without a spacesuit... instead you hang around in the fridge fretting about your ex wife and lamenting your lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                                        I believe you're transferring too much of your Buffy/Angel frustration on this show. When I watch this show I consistently think how refreshing it is that it isn't mired in all the brooding and regret of being a vampire.
                                        True, Moonlight is a departure from the Jossverse. However it doesn't negate the fact that yet again we're faced with a burdened hero. Mick doesn't want to be a Vampire. Quite the opposite. And while on the surface he's done his best to cope, his subsequent reaction to Coraline spoke volumes; clearly he longs to find a cure; a way to undo it. And like Spike's quest to regain his soul and Angel's battles with the gypsy curse, while it may come with perks, at the end of the day as Mick himself put it: "being a Vampire sucks."

That's where I see the similarity. And why it feels like I've been here before with this character.

Whereas Joseph (Jason Dohring) on the other hand, doesn't have that issue. He feeds on humans. He enjoys his world, the pleasures it affords, and has no interest in returning to the moral coil. Something I find more interesting to explore owing to it being the road less travelled by writers; a pathology moving through subtler shades of greys thanks to painting the hero darker. Charlotte Bront? did it with Mr. Rochester in "Jane Eyre" - ie: the romantic lead or hero of the story is viewed as flawed, and from the start there's a battle of minds, not just hearts. That approach has always appealed to me personally; a pair of strong willed characters. For by its very nature, pitting the sexes against one another heightens the sexual tension in the room.

Personally I am glad that Mick isn't ready to dive into bed with Beth. Just because two people are attracted to each other does not mean that they have to immediately start a deep relationship. Their friendship and flirtatious dance of attraction has been very free for me...
                                        That's true. And a matter of taste and preference so I can't argue with your reasoning.

The whole romance genre has various shapes and forms, from comedic to dramatic to a mixture of both. And everyone's got their style, the approach they like best. I enjoy watching Moonlight while wishing it could be a little edgier and more passionate. I love when writers pull the tension on a wire, tight.

The closest they've gotten us to that this season on Moonlight, was the balcony sunrise scene in last week's episode "1x08". I want to see more of that! I was bummed out when the kiss was just a modest peck on the cheek.

http://home.cablenet.ca/mhaws/henry_sig_ban.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                        X