2.03 "Kindred" Spoiler Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.03 "Kindred" Spoiler Discussion Thread

"Suresh finds an undiscovered Issac Mendez painting that shows someone's death; Maya frees Alejandro from a Mexican jail; in the past Hiro discovers something new about Kensei; and Niki and Micah leave Las Vegas to get away from their past. "

I don't know what to think about this episode. I for one am not impressed with the Mohinder/Matt/Molly thing... It just seems creepy, and I dunno... I don't mind Mohinder and HRG and their work together. The end of the episode with painting 8/8 wasn't a shock, I kind of figured he'd be one of them, but to see Claire kissing someone in the painting, that was a bit of a surprise. And I love that we still get the paintings, even with Issac dead.

Claire's story... I felt her and Zack had better chemestry and they worked so much better, but I can beat that over and over, but it won't bring him back. West is fine, I feel there is more to him, but I loved the little twist with the two marks and his memory of the Horn Rimmed Glasses. That was a shocker and its great to see the tension between Claire and her father, cause its what made season 1 work for the two, that tension. The love stuff is fine, but the tensions and secrets are my favorite!

Great to see Sylar, and was that Candice? I'm a bit confused, cause he powers look different before... I like that we get to see what she finally looks like, though kind of a non-shocking way to go... Cool to see that Sylar isn't getting the powers and needs to work back up... Though I don't understand how all these characters survived the season finale?

Peter... meh... Don't mind where he is. And it should play interesting to see where it goes. Its nice to have him far away and kind of open us for more heroes from other parts and not just the States.

Maya and her brother. Was so touching, I am really likeing how Maya is learning to control her powers more deviously and I can see them over taking her, which will be totaly interesting to see as the season goes on. I don't think her brother will live long, I think Sylar will kill him and try to kill Maya, but fail. Leaving her alone with out the cure.

Wow, Niki was in a scene... No comments cause it was such a half ass apperance that it wasn't even worth my excitment to see her name credit.

The Hiro recap was annoying, we really didn't need it. It happend like in the last two episodes, so it felt like really wasted space to be given all these flashbacks from the first two episodes, it really just makes his story line draw on... I love Ando, and I'm glad he is still getting screentime with Hiro not there.

I don't really feel the same excitment as last season, so I hope they start pulling out some more interesting stuff and involve more people. I would like to see Claire not appear in an episode... It would be a nice surprise. Sorry Claire... you ain't that interesting anymore.

That was Candice... it's a shame they couldn't get Missy Peregrym for two days of shooting, but whatever. So, she's toast -- I think she pretty much had it coming. She knew who he was, right? And decided it was in her best interest to show off how cool a power she had anyway? That's asking for it. Although I'm curious as to why Sylar's power is misfiring (the intuitive learning, not the TK and such). If he had Candice's power, he'd be exponentially more dangerous, though.

Also, I gotta say it's a bit of a continuity goof to show Candice's 'true form' as what they showed it to be. We already saw her get knocked out cold in 1.23 and... she reverted *from* "Jessica" to Missy Peregrym. They seemed to fudge that continuity to basically walk the same ground they already covered in dialogue between her and Micah -- that you could only assume what she really looked like.

Claire's stalker does nothing but annoy me. Really bugs that she's suddenly smitten because he can fly; he's still been nothing but a jerk the whole time.

Maya and Alejandro are interesting, but can't really see where they want to go with it right now. Other than them driving to America in Claire's Rogue. Heh.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
      Also, I gotta say it's a bit of a continuity goof to show Candice's 'true form' as what they showed it to be. We already saw her get knocked out cold in 1.23 and... she reverted *from* "Jessica" to Missy Peregrym. They seemed to fudge that continuity to basically walk the same ground they already covered in dialogue between her and Micah -- that you could only assume what she really looked like.
      Yeah but when we saw her overweight body wasn't that after she had been killed and not just knocked out? Perhaps because she died her body reverted back to her true form?

Claire's stalker does nothing but annoy me. Really bugs that she's suddenly smitten because he can fly; he's still been nothing but a jerk the whole time.
      Agreed. Why did they have to drop Zach like they did? Memory loss or not he was beginning to be her friend again. Unless I'm having a memory blank and everything is a blur from watching pretty much all of s1 in less than a week that I missed something?

Maya and Alejandro are interesting, but can't really see where they want to go with it right now. Other than them driving to America in Claire's Rogue. Heh.
      Holy crap! I didn't pick up on that very cool

Finally this episode Claire's ability to feel pain is made clear. She says something a long the lines of being able to feel it but it quickly goes away. This explains why sometimes she yells and other times she doesn't. Though it still doesn't make a great deal of sense, if she could feel pain even for a few moments she would have been in pain when her hand was caught in the sink last season or when she put her hand into the boiling water last episode.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
        Agreed. Why did they have to drop Zach like they did? Memory loss or not he was beginning to be her friend again. Unless I'm having a memory blank and everything is a blur from watching pretty much all of s1 in less than a week that I missed something?
        It had nothing to do with the show, but the actor's agent. He was pulled off the show because they were planning on turning the character gay. http://www.afterelton.com/TV/2006/12/heroes.html something happend off set to remove the character, which is a real shame since he was such a good sidekick to Claire.

Comment

Well, I have mixed feelings. I think it was better than the premiere, but worse than the second episode I guess, OK.

Well, I'm mad about Claire! I still like Hayden and Claire, but West (aka, Mr. Crazy Flying Stalker Jerk) is soooo annoying, and like said before, Zack works so much better. West feels like a Zack copycat that sucks with powers. I wish Zack was there, instead, or at least they had a more interesting and non-jerk character for Claire to hang with. And, like said before, what's with Claire's sudden liking to West even though he's a jerk? Weeeeeeird. But, still! HRG abducting West! I want to see some more Claire/HRG storyline THERE, not West/Claire

God, Hiro. You were amusing at first, but come on. Was this really needed? What exactly happened with this story in this episode? The monologue wasn't needed at all, imo. And why did Hiro have to say? So he can have a love interest? This is getting annoying, imo

So, now that the bad parts are through! It's the good stuff!

Unlike Dan, I really like the family part of Matt/Molly/(sorta)Mohinder's story! I kind of don't like Mohinder in that circle. But, I love Matt and him and Molly have a great connection! I want more of them. And plus, Molly's dreams and storyline is very intriguing!?

Okay, so, Heroes has me hooked. What the hell is that symbol!? It connects EVERYONE, in BOTH seasons! So, Hiro's dad: dead. Awesome Mother of Main Guys: supposed to be dead, but not (thankfully ). Niki: Has it on her back. Same with Jessica. Hiro: On his sword. Kensei: Same as Hiro. Molly: (which connects Mohinder/Matt/HRG, which connects Claire! ) Dreams about the bogeyman and paints drawing with the symbol on it. And most importantly, it kills people! What is it?

Ah, Niki! How I love her But, I'm pissed. They give Niki and Micah two scenes that are about a minute long each! You COULD do better than that! But, still....it's always a joy just to see Ali Larter on screen Also, DL's death was predicted, but still very sad. Especially for Micah.

Ah, Sylar! My favorite part of the episode! I really wish the original actress for Candice was there, but still, this actress isn't really bad, or anything. I loved her death scene! Her changing what he sees, until he finally goes for the kill and we see her true form. I loved Sylar's line right after that, too! Also, I'm interested in the whole, "Sylar lost his powers! HOW!? NO!" I want to know

And Maya and Alejandro! I like them! I love how Maya's learning to control her powers and how she did it to kill someone, on purpose. I love the brother-sister bound here, too

And Dan, I agree with Vampmogs. Candice was just knocked out, not killed. Maybe she reverted there because she chooses a look for a certain period of time Maybe it's her "general" look, and she changes, but it isn't her "true" form. Do I even make a touch of sense?

Also, Peter's stuff was okay. Gotta admit, I want to see Peter open the box, and go the hell home. Mama Petrelli/Nathan's story is very intriguing to me, so I want to get more answers, and more family interaction and story.

Travis, gotta agree with you, but swap Claire with Hiro I think he's my least favorite character now. His storyline is so pointless and annoying, right now.

I loved the end! I REALLY hope HRG doesn't die! I absolutely love him! And, was Claire kissing someone in the background? Oops

So, okay....not great, but not bad. Want some better quality, though.

Comment

Tim Kring hadn't gotten the memo that Xander was the last emotionally insightful heterosexual male high school character permitted on prime time TV under federal law, so the Zach retcon drove the actor from the show. And now we get stuck with West.

West is just the worst idea ever so far. Claire falling for him is right behind that. Honestly, Peter/Claire was less crappy, and still might be less crappy *even though he's her uncle*. That's how much West blows.
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

One of my least favorite episodes of Heroes. I...I had very little enjoyment while watching this episode. It ran in circles, making almost every scene redundant and made me roll my eyes so much that I can't stop them from spinning!

We'll start with Hiro. I liked how Ando is connected with Hiro again through the sword - though the realism here is very thin concerning many decades passing from when Hiro wrote those scrolls and when Ando realized they were in the sword. And the rehashing of what we already saw was weak and seemed like a shameless reason for Hiro being in more than two scenes - only one of which actually seemed to have a point (the last one where Hiro decides he can't leave - thus, pulling my great big Heather-GRRR! face out from it's deepest depths from all the frustration). I will just say that the eye-rolling happened during Hiro's stuff verrry often. David Anders did pretty good in the episode, thank god. But I still want him to become a badass. Not necessarily become Sark, per say, but to become the character David was born to play.

Moving on to Claire: the weak writing here shined through yet again when Claire suddenly forgets that West, the boy who just pissed her off no more than a minute before, pretty much stalked her for days and gets woo'd by his ability to fly. And the eye-rolling continued at full force with the cheesey flying scene.

Crossing the ocean to Ireland, Peter's story was the only one that had me interested during the episode. I love Caitlin and the chemistry she has with Peter and the action sequences looked like ones I'd have seen in an X-Men movie (Magneto, anybody...?). Him not opening the Box bothered me at first but that went away when him and Caitlin smooched. Milo Ventimiglia's doing a really good job with the amnesia storyline, in my opinion. Though I honestly think that Peter's shirt being conveniently opened after he got shot was a little too "The OC"/"Gossip Girl" for me, and most of you know how much I Milo and his sexxxy body, and seemed to lack any point other than to show off Milo's hot bod.

Switching back to the previous continent and moving down south a bit, we find Maya and Alejandro on the run...still. And we find Maya and Alejandro getting separated...again. And Maya and Alejandro using their powers and find each other...again. And Maya and Alejandro running...again - though, figuratively speaking, of course, since they're in the car (which I did not notice was Claire's... ). Redundant and pointless, anybody? Was this really necessary, other than to show that Maya's controling her power now?

Onto Mohinder and Mr. Bennet. I like their partnership, oddly enough. But I still don't like Mohinder, even if he is slowly getting more interesting what with his involvement with Bob and the Company. Their few scenes were also relatively interesting but, again, lacked any point until the end when Mohinder found Painting 8/8 of Isaac Mendez's. Said painting still has me baffled, too. Mr. Bennet...dead with Claire smooching in the background. Has she crossed over to the dark side? And who was she kissing since that certainly didn't look like West, to me? Intrigue.

NIKI! How I've missed you soooo much these past few, very lonnng months! Upon seeing your face I squeeled with excitement!

...And then, just as quick as I squeeled, you were gone. Off the screen so we could bounce away to Sylar's horrible blue screen environment and (on a more positive note) the wonderfully recast Candice who I so wish hadn't been killed at the end of the episode because I enjoyed the red-head's portrayal sooo much more than Missy Peregrym's...

OMG! There you are again! NIKI! How I've missed you the past 20 min...Oh. You're gone again. And there's the Contagious Wonder Twins doing the same old thing yet again...

FINALLY! You're back! I can lay my eyes on your gorgeous, badass self yet again! How I love you Niki! How I wish you were as much of a main character as Claire or Hiro...How I yearn to see you in more than 3, one minute scenes...

And yet, at the end of her third/last scene, I'm now invested in her story again. What does Niki need the Company to cure? What does the Company need Niki to do? What CAN Niki do for the Company? Why is all this so important that she handed herself over to them willingly? Curious...curious indeed...

My biggest peeve was the cheese factor. None of the blue screen scenes (90 Angry Ronin...Claire and West flying...Sylar on the beach...Sylar in the jungle...) looked remotely realistic and made me continue to roll my eyes. And, speaking of Sylar and his fake environments, that scene when he was outside of the little Myster Shack in the jungle...it looked like something I'd see on a low budget soap opera. Sylar looking back and forth all panicked...the ridiculously flimsy looking structure he was trapped in...the sand and trees that were so obviously placed on a studio parking lot...None of the scenes that didn't have a real background or setting did nothing to convince me at all.

Unfortunately, I must conclude this with my horrified opinion that Heroes is rapidly going downhill. Nothing but Peter's, Niki's, and Mr. Bennet's/Mohinder's/Bob's storylines interested me. And even those made me wanna scream at times. I liked 2.02 much better than this one and even that episode was poor quality (for Heroes). There is so much more this show can do yet they keep making the wrong decisions and now, unfortunately, the show's going down the same path Lost did in Season 2 (too many mysteries/characters/stories and no answers/focus on characters who need it) and the same path Grey's Anatomy did in Season 3 (forcing established characters into poor storylines and making fans dislike them).

I'm very depressed...Verrrrry depressed. I'd go so far as to give this episode a 65% or a D. Or even 2.5 stars. Sadness.
              wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

Heather- You could watch Resident Evil:" Excintion if you miss Nikki that much.

Anyway, hmm I was reading your posts and I am confused KingofCretins, what did you mean by that and what federal law?

Hilda Celeriac: You better tell me everything or I am gonna go Lex Luthor on your ass!
                Hey guys, if you know Amber is coming to Brisbane or anywhere near it, then page me (Well PM, just referencing Buffy)

Comment

I mean only to drip the sarcasm all over the thread, actually. I assure you, there's no such law. Uh, yet.
                  sigpic
                  Banner by LRae12

Comment

Ah LOL, well you almost got me

Anyways, it's nice to be a week behind you guys instead of ;like 7 episode behind.

But....I am really a bit worried about something, I see you guys get breaks in between like 7 weeks right or something like that? Does that mean Australia is goijng to end up doing that, because we went through Supernatural/Hereos etc unirrupted most of the times (IOnly once with Supernatural, stupid comedy thing), and I liked that but now I don't know...

Hilda Celeriac: You better tell me everything or I am gonna go Lex Luthor on your ass!
                    Hey guys, if you know Amber is coming to Brisbane or anywhere near it, then page me (Well PM, just referencing Buffy)

Comment

West is just the worst idea ever so far. Claire falling for him is right behind that. Honestly, Peter/Claire was less crappy, and still might be less crappy *even though he's her uncle*. That's how much West blows.
                      Why can't we find out that West is her half brother? I mean he's got the same power as her dad. *throws hands up in the air* I really hate this guy. And the fact that he endangers HRG really makes me angry.

Originally posted by Heather
                      And yet, at the end of her third/last scene, I'm now invested in her story again. What does Niki need the Company to cure? What does the Company need Niki to do? What CAN Niki do for the Company? Why is all this so important that she handed herself over to them willingly? Curious...curious indeed...
                      We seem to be drifting more and more over to X-men territory. I realize Kring is not a big comic geek, but please someone let him know that many of the people watching the show are and can see these storylines a mile away. Do we really need a mutant virus running around?

Truly Sark, whoops Kensei, is what is keeping me entertained and coming back. "You're like a conscience...only I take heed of you!"

I did take so much laughter in Sylar's impotency. His arrogance annoys me to no end.

Originally posted by Heather
                      ...the wonderfully recast Candice who I so wish hadn't been killed at the end of the episode because I enjoyed the red-head's portrayal sooo much more than Missy Peregrym's...
                      I agree!!! The red-head was a delight to the episode! Missy was always well kinda pissyfaced and annoying.

And I agree with those above that it didn't seem wrong for Candice's real self to be different than her passed out self. Even though she wasn't awake in that scene last season, her subconscious image of herself was still projecting. Kinda like in Angel when Skip remarks about Cordy's image being remarkably like her and not an improved version.

I seriously doubt Candice even realized how much she let her real body go to waste. Obviously she never worried about putting on too much weight because she could alter her body in anyway she desired. I imagine at one time she looked a lot more like Missy or at least thought she did.

Lydia made the punch!

Comment

I'll add more later, but for now all I have time to say is- I couldn't agree more!!! Just coz he can fly doesn't change the fact he's been an ass.

Comment

Um...Wow, if one episode could possibly be the downfall of my interest in Heroes, this one is in the running. :/ I'm not enjoying the new characters at all. I'd enjoy the twins so much more if they were only featured for a tiny bit...less crying, more mystery. I've been pretty fed up with Claire's story. And now there's tension between her and her dad, because she finds out what kind of person he was....wait. It's only the second season and I feel like I've heard that one before. I actually like Claire, not enough to want her as the center of the show. Too much is just...not fun.

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                          Why can't we find out that West is her half brother? I mean he's got the same power. *throws hands up in the air* I really hate this guy. And the fact that he endangers HRG really makes me angry.
                          Haha...another incest story At least Claire's *other* relative didn't use his powers to peep into teenage girls' bedroom windows...yet. I don't care why he was doing it, that is just eww.

But in all seriousness, I cannot stand the freaking kid. It's annoying that Claire puts on this tough act and tells this kid to back off, and he responds by kidnapping her. Oh, he can fly just like her bio-dad (and in turn, that *other* relative)! Now, that is love.

Originally posted by Ehlwyen View Post
                          I did take so much laughter in Sylar's impotency. His arrogance annoys me to no end.
                          Thank you! I could never put into words exactly why I hate Sylar, and you did it so simply. I used to say it's because I find him pathetic, but saying that didn't feel exactly right. I'm always ready to love or at least be intrigued by any villain. But Sylar just annoys me too much, regardless of the whole killing thing. Not that I find murder excusable, but I probably could have jumped on board with him if he was more selective about who he killed. He killed the first guy because didn't want his power and thought it was actually a bad thing, and if he stayed on that path, I might have actually enjoyed him. I wish I could keep up my hopes that he'd at least be interested by somebody who embraces their powers before he steals their ability.

I was glad to see that they weren't just teasing about Niki making an appearance, but there was not enough to keep me satisfied. I feel like they wasted her reappearance. I didn't like the way they revealed DL's death. I mean, I wasn't counting on being shocked by it, so I could have at least hoped that the official reveal would make a bit of an impression on me. I never, ever ask for these these kinds of things on TV, but I would have liked to see some sort of Niki breakdown...where she can't be tough for Micah. And then she could be the the strong one again, when they have to say goodbye. I don't know, but that's how I imagined it going down.

On the brighter side, I'm actually enjoying Peter (and I don't even need Nathan or Hiro or Claire to help me out...because I still enjoy those P/C scenes ) It was pretty fun, and I like the scenes of him and ...that girl (whose name escapes me at the moment).

I totally love Kensei. (And am I the only person who still likes Hiro? Not as high on my favorites list anymore, but I still find him endearing._ The length of the story was pretty unnecessary (even for me) in this episode, but at least kept me entertained...unlike the twins. Plus, Ando is awesome and I find myself looking forward to scenes of him than Hiro.
                          would you do anything for me

buy a new diamond ring for me

Comment

Just watched this episode.

I liked the storyline and I had to feel sorry for Mr. Bennett, he just saw a painting where he is dead and West is making out with Claire in the background.

I hope this Hiro/Kensei thing doesn't drag on forever thought (Maybe to the span of four months, because when we saw him in season 1 first episode it couldn't have been four months since he arrived in that timeline...).

Questions time, Tell me, why didn't Claire tell West that there were others witth that marking Matt/Ted and that it was a tracking device or something.

Speaking of Matt, where in the world is his wife? Why haven't we heard him calling her.

And again speaking of the same man, would someone please explain to me how a man that was shot four times in the chest lived while a man who was shot in near the shoulders with one bullet died? I thought Matt was a goner, I guess that would be a "Shock Twist" Because you would have expected Matt to die and DL to live.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow's Tara View Post
                              Speaking of Matt, where in the world is his wife? Why haven't we heard him calling her.

And again speaking of the same man, would someone please explain to me how a man that was shot four times in the chest lived while a man who was shot in near the shoulders with one bullet died? I thought Matt was a goner, I guess that would be a "Shock Twist" Because you would have expected Matt to die and DL to live.
                              They explain where Matt's wife is in the next episode (2.04). He explains everything to another hero and I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing her in 2.05 or another upcoming episode.

And, technically, we're not even 100% sure DL's dead. There's speculation that he's alive and kicking somewhere and had to fake his death. Also, if DL IS dead, it's very well possible that he died for reasons other than being shot. We don't know what's happened in the missing 4 months between the season finale and the season premier.

Which brings me to a whole 'nother question: are we supposed to suspend belief in order to accept the amount of time between 1.23 and 2.01? Because they SAY it was 4 months but that would mean that it was 4 months from the end of November (based on Heroes time), which would mean that 2.01 SHOULD be set at the end of March. HOWEVER, we find Claire and it certainly seems like this is the beginning of the new school year at that high school - which puts her storyline in August or September. I'm thinking this solely based on the cheerleader's presence and whatnot since, at every high school I've been to in my lifetime, you don't see cheerleaders after the football season is done except for the occasional pep rally (let alone do you see them walking around school in their uniforms ).

So this just has me pondering. When IS Heroes Season 2 set? What month? March? Or September? Or something totally different?
                              wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

Pretty sure the cheerleaders show up for basketball, even in California. I'm also willing to buy that they are asking for tryouts in Spring in preparation for the following year. I haven't really gotten the "first day of school" vibe from it, either, so I dunno. I haven't seen anything about the time frame that makes me think it doesn't work -- they are still dressing warmly in New York and Ireland, as one would in March.
                                sigpic
                                Banner by LRae12

Comment

Hmm that's a good point about DL, maybe it will all be explained in one episode? But then why show Micah and Nikki at the graveyard if he faked his death? Unless there is someone watching them and we just don't know it yet.

According to Tv Week or some place Mr. Linderman and some others aren't really dead either..Hmm I guess we will just have to watch how this all ends.

Edit: Another question, remeber that painting we saw of Micah standing behind a building in one of the last episodes in season 1? What was that painting all about because I never got it?

Comment

Working...
                                  X