Blood Ties!! It's BACK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Ties!! It's BACK!

Friday, October 12, 2007 11EST/10CST Blood Ties returns for it's second season!!!

Who's gonna watch?!?
    -TP<3
    "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
    - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Did anyone catch Season Two premiere??

What did you think?

I really enjoyed the episode - storyline was good! Although - YUCKK - with the special effects for the demon...

I loved when Corryn tried to flirt with Henry and you could tell - he's not into her... However that would have been interesting!!

The sexual tension between Henry and Vicki is getting really good! Wonder if it willl continue through the season or will she finally give into to him?!?

But still - Henry lacks the "punch" of the Jossverse vampires and now even Mick from Moonlight!! Where are the kicks, and fights and action a vampire is supposed to be a part of?

But I like that Henry is not a vampire who apologizes for being a vampire. While I appreciate the vampire who is looking for redemption ( oh but I do!) I occasionally like the ones who just like being naughty vampires!!
    -TP<3
    "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Henry Fitzroy...

I see you've started a "Blood Ties" thread. Awesome!

As you may know, season 1 actually consisted of 22 episodes. However for reasons known only to the suits at the Lifetime Network (though I suspect the initial ratings weren't high enough) they decided stop after ep.12 - only to relaunch the series again this Fall calling it season 2; ie: air the last 10 episodes, which are as follows:

13. 2 -1 D.O.A.
      14. 2- 2 Wild Blood
      15. 2- 3 5:55
      16. 2- 4 Bugged
      17. 2- 5 The Devil You Know
      18. 2- 6 Drawn and Quartered
      19. 2- 7 Wrapped
      20. 2- 8 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
      21. 2- 9 We'll Meet Again
      22. 2-10 Deep Dark

I've seen up to episode 17, aka: season 2.05 "The Devil you Know" - which was part-two of a "Christina" based storyline featuring the 500 year old Vampire/bitch who turned Henry all those centuries ago. So that's how far along I am.

NOTE: I mention all this because I don't want to spoil you! So proceed at your own risk!

I love this series for one reason only. Henry Fitzroy. Everything else is just a distraction. Mike the cop and third wheel love interest, Vicki's young Goth assistant, the supporting side-characters at the station with their tedious proceedural dialogue, mean nothing to me and simply get in the way of what I think is a much better story - the relationship between Henry and Vicki.

For at long last, a Vampire gets to be one. He feeds on humans. He kills when threatened. He doesn't moan and groan about it. Quite the opposite. Self-assured and unapologetic, Henry enjoys being a vampire and marches confidently to the beat of his own moral drummer; knowing you don't have to kill your dinner to have it - you can have great sex with it instead, before sending it safely home, no harm, no foul.

All of which makes his interest in Vicki so exciting to watch - for albeit devastatingly charming, Henry's powers of persausion don't work on Vicki. He can't manipulate her, or seduce her with that engaging smile of his; try though he may. In short, she's a rare challenge. A strong, smart, intelligent woman who can hold her own and give as good as she gets. And Henry's captivated. And because she's no push over and he's having to wait, we get to enjoy all the heat and chemistry that produces!

And it's real heat. For they can go there; sex. There's nothing preventing it beyond Vicki's own issues in general; she likes to think she's got everything covered and is in control, that she can resist how he makes her feel. It's a classic sexual dynamic wherein the male does the chasing, and I love that about it. It's so refreshing to see an open pursuit. Cards on the table and face up and all that.

Henry wants to sleep with Vicki and he's also falling in love with her. Vicki doesn't know what she wants but she likes finding out.

One of things the writers do which I also like, is undercut them both with humour. Keeping them from being too serious as characters and turning the show into an overwrought melodrama. Not with lines like:

"Other than the strange, sexless relationship we seem to share, I don't have much experience in the world of dating." - Henry

Chuckle!

So I'm hoping the series is renewed now for a proper season 2, and we get another 22 episodes! As I adore Henry and can't get enough of him. Damn, that character is hot.

http://home.cablenet.ca/mhaws/henry_sig_ban.jpg

Comment

There are things I like about this show (Henry) for one and things I don't.
        I really like that it allows for a host of supernatural creatures as that opens the door for more imaginative story lines. I like that Henry is enigmatic and reacts to people differently. He could have his own book...."Portrait of the artist as a young vampire" ala James Joyce.
        Vickie on the other hand I like in some ways and some not. Does she wear army boots? She sure acts and moves like it and that makes it hard to envision her as anyones bedmate and spoils the mood for me. Yes I like strong female leads but not strident. Maybe that's too strong a word as she isn't loud but the feel is the same.
        Mike is just plain annoying, boring and a totally unnecessary character in my opinion. I think it may be because I don't care for the actor playing the role but he annoys me in every scene he's in.
        I realize that this show has a small budget and they do an admirable job given the circumstances but perhaps a more intimate rather than big scale approach would work better for it.
        No matter what it is the best replacement for Buffy that I have come across in the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Methusla View Post
          There are things I like about this show (Henry) for one and things I don't.
          I really like that it allows for a host of supernatural creatures as that opens the door for more imaginative story lines. I like that Henry is enigmatic and reacts to people differently. He could have his own book...."Portrait of the artist as a young vampire" ala James Joyce.
          Indeed; while not the Jossverse, Blood Ties does score points for delving into darker aspects of folklore and Mythology. As it gives the writers something to work with. So far, we've seen a Voodoo Zombie, the infamous Medusa, the sex demon Incubus ( from ep: "Love Hurts" - one of my personal favs! ) but to name but a few. Those are always the most interesting episodes, I find, as otherwise there's too much police station crap ( ie: scenes with Mike.)

As for Henry... now that you mention it, he is enigmatic. And I love that he's an artist. It gives the character so much more dimention for being able to engage Vicki on another level, broaching subjects which otherwise would need an artifical pretext; ie: art is a good methaphor for life. And we learn things about Henry in process of exploring that side of him, the creative side.

Note: it's also cool to see artwork on the walls behind Henry's drafting table! God, stuff like that always makes me yearn for their space and art supplies; chuckle!

Vickie on the other hand I like in some ways and some not. Does she wear army boots? She sure acts and moves like it and that makes it hard to envision her as anyones bedmate and spoils the mood for me. Yes I like strong female leads but not strident. Maybe that's too strong a word as she isn't loud but the feel is the same.
          Mike is just plain annoying, boring and a totally unnecessary character in my opinion. I think it may be because I don't care for the actor playing the role but he annoys me in every scene he's in.
          I couldn't agree more about Vicki. She's over-played; hard-headed with a pair of balls. An ex-cop who climbs onto her saddle like John freakin' Wayne to do her job as a Private Investigator, even if it means dying with your boots on. Ie: the character's underlying motivation is that everything is her responsibility to solve or fix.

Thank God Henry's around to toss a moneky wrench into that; smile.

For their scenes are always some of the best. These two have genuine chemistry. It works. Some of it owes to casting but also the characters themselves as she's older. You get a different dynamic with that. She's not a young, impressionable doe-eyed thing of a girl. Vicki is at least an adult. And it's refreshing to see how that adds spice to the mix.

Mike.. A third wheel love interest with a badge and way too many scenes at Police headquarters. Book 'em Danno, you're coming downtown etc. Zzzzzz.

I realize that this show has a small budget and they do an admirable job given the circumstances but perhaps a more intimate rather than big scale approach would work better for it.
          No matter what it is the best replacement for Buffy that I have come across in the past few years.
          Well, given what I know about the production for it being shot locally, they're never going to get a budget large enough to accomidate a grander look, and so I agree; intimate is better than bad stets and locals.

We're also on the same page about BTVS. This will never replace it but it does fill a niche, a space where Buffy and Spike used to be. And despite dumping on the writing more often than not, there have been a few jewels aong the way. The shows growing on me. Henry of course, never needed to. It was WHOA at first sight; smile.

Comment

[QUOTE=Marie;
            As for Henry... now that you mention it, he is enigmatic. And I love that he's an artist. It gives the character so much more dimention for being able to engage Vicki on another level, broaching subjects which otherwise would need an artifical pretext; ie: art is a good methaphor for life. And we learn things about Henry in process of exploring that side of him, the creative side.

Artists are always the barometer for the times they live in and I think it's so appropriate that Henrys main work is in the illustation of comics, so current and vividly depicted. One assumes that perhaps this has evolved from other mediums as it would with someone who is a true artist. This in itself is a great piece of writing as it allows us a candid view of what makes him tick as a vampire or as a man.
            (Quote)
            Note: it's also cool to see artwork on the walls behind Henry's drafting table! God, stuff like that always makes me yearn for their space and art supplies; chuckle!

Absolutely , he is afforded the luxury that most modern artists can only dream of. The days of garrets in Paris being long gone!

(Quote)
            Mike.. A third wheel love interest with a badge and way too many scenes at Police headquarters. Book 'em Danno, you're coming downtown etc. Zzzzzz.

Yep shades of Dragnet alright! "Just want the facts mam".

Blood Ties is a pretty good show but it always leaves me wanting so much more. Well, maybe that's not such a bad thing in this instance?
            I think they are on the right track and a bit of fine tuning could make this into a really good show.

Comment

FYI: Episode 2x07 "Wrapped" has now aired on Lifetime. CityTV in Canada has yet to show it.

A pair of thieves foolishly disturb a mummy while robbing it of precious artifacts while enroute to a museum, releasing a dark Inca God of Hell who sets about recharging his batteries by sucking the life force out of victims until they're nothing more than skeletons; his first being one of the thieves. The second is then drafted against his will to serve Inca guy in his quest for the ultimate Duracel - which turns out to be Henry Fitzroy's life. As with that, he'd be unstoppable and able to summon up his legions and rule mankind etc.

It turns out Vampires don't dream, instead they lay in a state of death, so when the Inca God attacks Henry in his sleep, it leads him to Vicki's door; as there's a mystery to solve, a bad-ass to destroy etc. Vicki of course assumes control and marches off with heavy boots to save Henry against his wishes.

There's some stuff inbetween with Mike and the weariness of finding himself caught in the middle, along with scenes involving the Inca God and the servant he eventually kills and the deus ex machina set-up to the third act involving Coreen and the dark magic found in Henry's books at the Penthouse where they've been keeping him safe while pursing the Inca God, etc.

Bottom line: Vicki stabs Henry with his sword in order to perform a ritual which will make her powerful enough to destroy the Inca God and save Henry's life. He begs her not to but she won't listen. Vicki is successful but at a cost. In the final scene, Henry now self-healed, confronts Vicki in her office to express his displeasure. She crossed the line. Against his expressed wishes she used his blood to taint her own and worse, made a deal with the devil that will cost even more. She did the one thing he's always strive to keep her safe from, a world he knows only too well.

A mini-cliffhanger of sorts, as now we're left wondering how they'll reconcile!

I hate leaving them at odds when it means having to wait for the next show but at the same time, you have to plant a seed if you want it to bear fruit; ie: I'm hoping the payoff will be a good scene between Henry & Vicki when patch up their differences.

That aside, while still finding Vicki annoying, now that I think about it, I confess I actually didn't mind Mike too much in this episode. He's outside his comfort zone. The supernatural lies outside his jurisdiction and more importantly his control. And he clearly wants out. That made for a change in his usual dialogue and I enjoyed the novelty of it.

And needless to say, I loved all the Henry eye-candy. I just wish the episode had contained some romance. We haven't really had anything akin to the "you smell like death sniff" or the gardener who spouts poetry scene, in ages.

Comment

I wonder if Henry is a bit of a chauvinist? That would be logical considering he's related to Henry the V111. He doesn't like being disobeyed it seems. Or is it his concern that Vickie is now under a dark curse that has got his ire up?
                What ever I liked their scenes together. Lots of tension, almost hatred on Henrys part.

Inca monster God boring and more like WWF God to me...lol

Mike seemed softer, more vunerable in this for some reason, I actually softened up to him a bit too.

There is nothing like a little hatred for spicing up the romance department so I expect things to heat up pretty soon between vickie and Henry.

I wonder if Vickies improved vision is permanent. I want to see how the devils curse will affect her.

Comment

However - wasn't the "tainted your blood" line because

Spoiler:
                  she drank Henry's blood! When she stabbed him - did she not drain a bit into a cup and then drink it?? That's why she didn't need her glasses anymore and she had strength to fight the Incan God.

I think that's why he said she crossed the line - and if you think about it - although she was trying to keep him from being killed - it was very disrespectful. I mean - a vampire does have his pride!!

And after the 2 times she has let him feed on her - really! Why is he getting his fangs in a twist! I think it's the pride issue.

Thanks Marie for finding this thread! I knew it was around here somewhere - me talking to me... *sigh* LOL!!!

And yes - I'm ready for Henry-on-Vicki stuff!!! I loved the "you smell like death" scene!!! LOL!! Only a vampire! Reminded me of my cats when they would go crazy smelling shoes!
                  -TP<3

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

I wonder if Henry is a bit of a chauvinist? That would be logical considering he's related to Henry the V111. He doesn't like being disobeyed it seems. Or is it his concern that Vickie is now under a dark curse that has got his ire up?
                    Henry died for love. That's the only reason he choose to become a Vampire; not because he was into the dark arts. And to the extent he's encountered it over the years - be it the London Hell Fire Club in the 1890's and the demon Asteroth; ep: 1x01-2 "Blood Prince" - or a voodoo zombie ceremony he attended back in the 1920's wherein he lost a girlfriend (recounted in ep:1x03 "Bad Juju") or a former lover and witch named Sinead who practices black magic (ep: 1x04 "Deadly Departed") or Haviar (Julian Sands) as an evil Vatican priest/Vampire hunter in ep:1x07 "Heart of Ice" & "1x08 Heart of Fire" or the Necromancer using dark magic to raise the dead (ep: 1x10 "Necrodome") - Henry's made no secret of his deep distain and contempt for the underlying evil at work in the world and the corruption he can smell on those who've exposed themselves to it.

Henry wasn't evil while human and being a Vampire hasn't changed that. For he's kept his soul and conscience; ie: his moral dignity. He doesn't run around torturing and killing people like it's a sport, let alone nail puppies to doors.

I think it's important to remember what Christina (the Vamp who turned him) took from Henry. He genuinely loved her and believed she felt the same way and consequently their love would survive the territorialism she'd warned him about. Ie: true love concurs all. However we know Christina never really loved Henry. Her pathology's far too twisted for that. Instead, she seduces young men and uses them as toys. And Henry's never forgotten the heartache of it.

In the bitter aftermath of that failed relationship and ever since, Henry's been very mindful about who he lets into his world, his life. In part to avoid detection but also to safeguard his own feelings. The women he sleeps with mean nothing to him beyond a meal. That said, he's at least a gentleman about it; ie: I don't hurt them, they definately enjoy the sex, share their blood willingly: ergo, no harm no foul.

Then he meets Vicki. And over the course of their relationship, and no doubt in great part thanks to being unable to charm her into bed, he takes her more seriously, even opens up and lets Vicki in, making her familiar with things he's rarely if ever shared aloud with others. And all it serving a purpose, namely to inform her: "this is who and what I am and how I feel."

Originally posted by ThePoet's<
                    I think that's why he said she crossed the line - and if you think about it - although she was trying to keep him from being killed - it was very disrespectful. I mean - a vampire does have his pride!!
                    Henry shared himself. And in return for that trust, Vicki dimissess his experiences, ignores his pleading warnings and high-handedly performs a repugnant dark ritual with blood she's taken from Henry without his conscent. And he's never done that - never crossed the line and forced Vicki to do something against her will. Instead, he's always respected her sovereignty.

He didn't ask her to save him. He didn't want her to, not if it means having to make a deal with the devil and tainting the goodness he's always valued so much in people. It was always HIS life to lose anyway, not hers. A life he's repeatedly put at risk despite his better judgement in order to keep her's safe, moreover.

I think that's why he's angry. He trusted her. Hell, he had enough faith in Vicki to end the world for her when she begged him in ep:1x15 aka: 2x03 "5:55" to open Pandora's box so as to change fate after Mike took a bullet and died. But when Henry needs her to listen to HIM for a change, nope, sorry, can't do. Vicki "Rio Bravo" Nelson rides off yet again utterly convinced she knows better and in the process, puts not herself at greater risk now, but also Coreen.

And because he hates what she's done, despite knowing why, he can't at present bring himself to forgive Vicki for it; seems she stuck more than a sword into Henry. She stuck a knife into his feelings for her.

Mike seemed softer, more vunerable in this for some reason, I actually softened up to him a bit too.
                    I think it's because his character was allowed to open up for a change. I mean, we all know what Mike's issues and headaches are as a police detective faced with trying to investigate the supernatural, but now we know just how difficult it's been for him. The emotional costs. He didn't sign up for this. He doesn't want to be in Vicki and Henry's world. He wants his life back, for things to feel normal; ie: people killing people. He can deal with that. The rest.. it's grown too overwhelming.

I wonder if Vickies improved vision is permanent. I want to see how the devils curse will affect her.
                    Spoiler:
                    Although the writers aren't strickly following Tanya Huff's canon (she wrote the books on which this series is based) in the final chapter of their saga as written, and I believe it had to do with saving her life, Henry and Vicki eventually "get together" and he turns her into a Vampire. And when he does, it restores her vision permanently. As for the series, and according to an interview with Kyle, when asked if his character ever gets together with Vicky, he replied, "...you haven't seen episode 22 yet!"

So I'm not sure how the writers have worked it. I know the producers have said, "we're taking our own path with the story" so maybe they've drawn inspiration from the novels but in such a way as it doesn't paint them into a corner.

Originally posted by ThePoet's<
                    And yes - I'm ready for Henry-on-Vicki stuff!!! I loved the "you smell like death" scene!!! LOL!! Only a vampire! Reminded me of my cats when they would go crazy smelling shoes!
                    Chuckle; yeah, it was a great scene. So too, the one where they're watching Nosferatu together on DVD. Ooo, and the scene in "Love Hurts" where she shows up to ask if he was just over at her place, rubbing his hands all over her body? LOL!

Last edited by Marie; 27-11-07, 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Is this on in the US on Lifetime? How in the world have I missed it? Crap! Is season 1 on DVD? Sounds like a perfect show for me!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cinderela View Post
                        Is this on in the US on Lifetime? How in the world have I missed it? Crap! Is season 1 on DVD? Sounds like a perfect show for me!
                        Yup; it airs on the Lifetime Network in the US - here's the official website:

http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/blood-ties

It's possible to watch episodes which have already aired, at Lifetime (note: their video player doesn't work outside the U.S. market) or you can buy them for a $1.99 a download at iTunes (also not available outside the U.S.)

Season one consisted of 22 episodes. However the Lifetime Network aired only 12 of them. Then they decided to relaunch "Blood Ties" this past Fall, call it "season 2" and air the remaining unseen 10 episodes from season 1.

Ie: regardless of how it's being done, they haven't actually finished showing those 22 episodes. Ergo and to answer your question, it's not on DVD yet. That said, it will be on January 28, 2008 at least in the UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Ties-C.../dp/B000V9LOHS

The show has a loyal cult following at this point and if you're curious, you can find out more by visiting these sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Ties_(TV_series)

http://www.bloodtiestv.com/ (Canadian based)

http://www.bloodtiescentral.com/ (note: good for screencaps.)

And for both Canadian/American fans wanting to see promos for past and upcoming episodes, you can go here! Make sure to also click the tab for "bonus stuff" as they've included interviews with the cast and crew:

http://tv.yahoo.com/blood-ties/show/...0ujIZ4#4991806

So, there ya go! Hope that helps? "Blood Ties" main attraction of course, is the vampire Henry Fitzroy as played by Canadian actor Kyle Schmid. And if you end-up watching the show for no other reason, at least he's definately a good one, smile...

http://home.cablenet.ca/mhaws/henry.jpg

Comment

Hmmm....maybe I should check this out. I kind of hesitate though as Tudor history buff, lol, given the premise of Henry Fitzroy getting vamped... I do remember a few years back hearing on my Tudor e-mail group that someone had written some books saying Fitzroy had become a vampire. Kind of a weird idea to me....and he died pretty young, only 17--you think the guy playing him looks that young? And have you guys seen what he really looked like, lol? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...95/Fitzroy.jpg Not quite as handsome....

Aslo have you people who've seen the show read the books? How do you think they compare? I wonder about whether the books are worth trying too...
                          Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                            Hmmm....maybe I should check this out. I kind of hesitate though as Tudor history buff, lol, given the premise of Henry Fitzroy getting vamped... I do remember a few years back hearing on my Tudor e-mail group that someone had written some books saying Fitzroy had become a vampire. Kind of a weird idea to me....and he died pretty young, only 17--you think the guy playing him looks that young? And have you guys seen what he really looked like, lol? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...95/Fitzroy.jpg Not quite as handsome....
                            Chuckle; he's definately no Kyle Schmid, that's for sure...

http://www.mylifetime.com/files/imag...8-photo5_0.jpg

However I applaude the writer Tanya Huff for using an actual figure from history in such an original way - for I understand there's a bit of mystery surrounding The Duke of Richmond's death. Most say he died of Tuberculosis, but there were rumours of his having been poisoned by Anne Boleyn, who felt threatened; Henry the VIII wanted a male heir and albeit illegitmate, he had one in the Duke of Richmond. I think that's what inspired Huff and gave her the seeds for the character.

And nope, Kyle isn't 17 year old. In truth he's 23. That said, it's easy enough to suspend your disbelief; I mean, it's not like he's 30 yrs old and playing Clark Kent, eh?

Also have you people who've seen the show read the books? How do you think they compare? I wonder about whether the books are worth trying too...
                            I haven't personally read them myself but based on reviews, apparently they're quite good. Might be worth popping down to your local library and seeing if they've got any copies?

Either way, the TV series is a departure from how Vampires have typically been portrayed, and thus scores points with me for daring to tred new ground. For this is the first time in recent memory where a Vampire gets to be one without having to apologise for it. And I really like that about Henry.

Case in point: he feeds directly off humans. And for the most part they're willing sexual partners only too happy to share their blood in the throws of passion. But he's not above taking it from someone in a dark alley; tasting their "fear" adds zest to the experience. And then there are those occations when it's not about about blood but rather getting information - and once he has it, his charming manner fades and his powers of persuasion are used to make you forget you ever saw him...

http://www.mylifetime.com/files/imag...ason2_14_0.jpg

In short, he's a real Vampire and content to be one. After all, he's had 470 years practice at it.

Comment

Thanks for the info [email protected]! For sure sounds like a show for me - I'll be shooting off to download the eps at Lifetime (I am in the US) - the eyecandy alone is enough to get me interested! Can't wait!
                              sigpic

Comment

OH MY GOD.

The suits at the Lifetime Network are clearly all on Crack. For how else could you begin to explain, let alone account for their recent and stunningly retarded decision to show the LAST two remaining episodes of "Blood Ties" online only in streaming Flash video at their site...

http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/blood-ties

That's right. You've read correctly. After "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" airs tonight Nov 30th, the last two remaining ep's: 2x09 "We'll Meet Again" and 2x10 "Deep Dark" will only be available online, at least in the United States.

NOTE: oddly enough, "We'll Meet Again" is already up (as parts) over at Lifetime's site. Their video player is notorious problematic even for U.S. based fans, so good luck to you.

Up here in Canada, CityTV (owned by CHUM) also airs "Blood Ties" - however they're 4 weeks behind. Meaning Canadians might be faced with a month long wait to catch-up, and for what will likely now be a cliffhanger without an ending.

This is from Denis McGrath's recent blog; he's one of the writers on the show:

"The idea is to always keep plugging, and keep as positive as possible, but honestly I can't see how this gets spun as anything other than bad news.

I don't know, man. You get a committed fan base, they show big love for the show. It's a show that doesn't cost Lifetime a lot. After the splash they made with Army Wives initially, even that seems to have cooled. I just don't know what their thinking is.

There seems, all along, to have been a bit of a disconnect between the online part of Lifetime and the network itself. Somebody at the net side of things clearly likes the show, or hears so much from the fans, maybe, that they're more aware of how this thing's going to be perceived.

It's just really disappointing, though. Because I think the last batch of episodes were really great. We were kicking into a different storytelling style, we were opening up all sorts of great mythology expansions for the future. The script I wrote (that now won't show on TV in the US, I guess, what a drag) is one of my favorite pieces of writing I've ever done. A really cool story that was well-made and well cast. And Peter's season finale was a thing of beauty too.

After not knowing so much, here's what I do know: the cast's options are likely expiring any day. The financing for a Season 2 becomes very difficult because of ownership changes of the Canadian net that financed Season One. (Basically, CHUM, the S1 backer doesn't exist anymore. Part of the assets were sold to CTV, and part to Rogers. That puts who pays for what into dutch.)

This for a show that's doing pretty well in Canada, that sold everywhere, that drew a younger audience to Lifetime in the USA...It's just so goddamn disappointing that it's so hard to get anything made. And even when you do and people like it....

Ah well. Sorry, U.S. fans. We did what we could. If the guys at Kaleidoscope manage to pull this out and put together a Season 2, they're rockstars. But in my gut, I feel....oogy.

(This is, of course, my opinion and mine only, and does not reflect the views of Lifetime, Disney!, Kaleidoscope, Insight in B.C., CityTv, Rogers, or any actual descendants of Henry Fitzroy.)" - Denis McGrath

Sigh.

I'm going to start drinking now. I'll write a review for 2x08 once I've seen it and sobbered up.

Comment

2x08 "The Good, the Bad and The Ugly" has now aired on Lifetime (may the Network rot in Hell.)

After biting my nails all week in anticipation of the moment we get to see Henry and Vicki again, I confess I was disappointed by how that moment played itself out; for he just shows up at the office without any preamble, asking questions like "have you had any headaches..? Strange dreams..?"

(Yes. They were about hearing the last 2 episode won't air on TV, but I digress...)

Ie: Henry shows up to check-up on Vicki & Coreen.

So obviously, he still gives a crap. And in the aftermath of last week's episode, seemingly hasn't given Vicki much of a chance to apologize. And for want of the opportunity to, Vicki's coping as best she can - as indeed, it's not there's a Hallmark Card for stabbing someone with their own sword and drinking their blood.

Now the episode itself was fairly good, as plots go. But there was far too little Henry & Vicki interaction. I think they had maybe 4 scenes together. And if you look at his dialogue over-all, here's what's worth noting:

- When he checks-in on how they're doing, he owns that his motives are selfish.

- When they finally get around to discussing the "elephant in the room" - namely, how pissed-off he still is, he replies: "I wouldn't say mad; more like appalled, offended and indignant."

- Henry also shares "I'd rather be dead, than see you seduced by dark magic; I vowed to protect you from evil; I can't protect you from from yourself."

- And then finally in their last scene, after he arrives intending to save her from psycho boy (although she manages to get the upperhand without his help) Henry softens in the face of Vicki's contriction when she tells him she's sorry and says: "Apology accepted."

And if you put all that together, I think this is where The Duke of Richmond stands:

Henry was outraged by Vicki's high-handedness, as how dare she assume she had the right to pragmatically dismiss his sovereignty; his life belongs to him and him alone. At the same time, she went so far as to use Henry in a dark ritual, exposing him to the very evil he loathes and even worse (from Henry's point of view) to seemingly confirm via her actions, that:

A) Vicki's never really taken him seriously.
                                  B) She's never appreciated what it meant when he vowed to keep her safe.
                                  C) She doesn't care as much for him as she does Mike, and that's why she hasn't been able to see the underlying reason and motive at work, on Henry's part - everything he's done for her since they met, is because on some level, he's been falling in love.

All this time, he's been doing it out of love for her, but also himself; he's already lost too many to "the dark side" and doesn't need another dose of pain and regret.

But the REALLY interesting part was when he told her "I can't protect you from yourself" - for there was a faint hint of resignation in his voice.

I suspect that Henry's reaching a personal fork in the road. I think he's coming to realize that Vicki's always going to be the fool who rushes in for believing her instincts won't fail her and in truth, Henry knows better; having lived long enough to see it happen to others. It may take a while, but fate will catch up with you.

I think he accepted her apology on the surface, but it doesn't mean everything's okay. Far from it.

As it's one thing to protect Vicki from the supernatural, and another to see those efforts wasted on someone who doesn't appear to return his love. He's been through it before with Christina. He thought love could concur all, it didn't. And I suspect he hoped it would be different this time with Vicki - but all he's gotten in return for his emotional investment is another painful disappointment. And he might be ready to cut his losses.

We'll have to wait and see how it ultimately plays itself out, and I for one will never forgive Lifetime for airing the last two episodes online only in the U.S. For if Canadians can't "acquire them" elsewhere, we're screwed until January 2008.

Sigh; Merry Christmas, eh?

Postscript: I couldn't stand it. The not knowing. And caved into the temptation to visit a U.S. based Blood Ties Forum and peek at their reviews for 2x09 "We'll Meet Again" - which has since aired online at Lifetime's site. If you'd like to know what's in store for the characters, here's a general overview - note: that said and ironically, I didn't read everything they'd posted. I skimmed across reviews which began revealling "too much" and limited myself to learning only the following...

Spoiler:
                                  "We'll Meet Again" is a supernatural love story, a tale of soul mates parted. And of a demon plot involving Coreen. In the process of telling it, the writers reportedly give us a gutwrencher; for beneath the surface it's apparently about Henry and Vicki's relationship. I heard Henry's dialogue is loaded with poignant subtext, his words speaking directly to what he's feeling in his own heart, and by all accounts his scenes with Vicki left most fans in sobs. For he comes to the decision it's best if he leaves. Love does not concur all. Vicki's shown him that. Some described it as heart breaking. The best and most difficult episode to watch thus far in the entire series. Holy crap, eh?!

The only thing which makes the above bearible is knowing it's leading into the finale, and no doubt some of that was seed planting. For I remember reading how Tanya Huffy's Blood Books ended; Henry had a proteg? in the novels and after turning Vicki, he and Henry left to live in Vancouver. Vicki wound up with Mike, but remained cordial with Henry, their friendship strong enough to support friendly exchanges. So in the books, they don't end up together. However the producers for Blood Ties have repeatedly said they were not planning to follow Huff's canon in the series. And aside from drawing inspiration from it here and there, they've essentially written a different road for the characters.

I know the finale is a cliffhanger. Personally, I think it'll be about whether or not Coreen can be saved from the demon. I think Henry and Vicki will get together but it won't resolve things between them; he may even say he's thinking about leaving etc. Ie: we won't know how the saga ends. Open ending.

Last edited by Marie; 02-12-07, 11:11 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Such awful news about this show, I really hope it is picked up elsewhere if this crazy network is canceling it! So weird.
                                    As far as the latest episode goes, I liked it but like you Marie I was hoping for more Henry/Vickie interaction. I liked the actor playing Charles Perkins, he was suitably creepy for the role. The premise of the three brothers being tied as one was also good.
                                    I think Christina cox is hoping for a remake of Million Dollar Baby and wants the part of the female boxer....her tough act is getting really annoying. This is such a pity because Schmidt is so terrific as Henry.
                                    I vote for a Henry spin off!

Comment

Such awful news about this show, I really hope it is picked up elsewhere if this crazy network is canceling it! So weird.
                                      Network Television is evil.

As far as the latest episode goes, I liked it but like you Marie I was hoping for more Henry/Vickie interaction. I liked the actor playing Charles Perkins, he was suitably creepy for the role. The premise of the three brothers being tied as one was also good.
                                      Henry & Vicki's dialogue spent most of its time dancing round the elephant in the room despite appearing to discuss it; ie: the fact she stole his blood. And I think that added to the feeling they still weren't connecting and more interaction was needed. I know I'd hoped for an intimate heart-to-heart scene.

And I agree about the casting - he was akin to a Crispin Glover. And for once, I liked the premise, too. It worked because it was creepy while tipping a hat to pop culture with its "Psycho" reference; the mother in the attic hello Norman Bates.

I think Christina cox is hoping for a remake of Million Dollar Baby and wants the part of the female boxer....her tough act is getting really annoying. This is such a pity because Schmidt is so terrific as Henry.
                                      I vote for a Henry spin off!
                                      Oh God yes, she still continues to do that, eh? A pair of balls with hair of them. It's all so overstated. Along with her mannerisms. Basically, the trouble with the performance is that you notice she's giving one. Kyle on the otherhand, plays Henry with more convincing presense. Perhaps for being better cast? Not all actors fit their roles equally.

He's working on a film right now - Joy Ride: End of the Road. After that, don't know. I do know I'd watch a Henry spin-off though, that's for sure!

Ideally however, I want them to renew "Blood Ties" - as in addition to Henry's appeal, I've come to notice something of equal value in the writing, something worthly of praise for I "think" it was inspired by the Jossverse...

Buffy season 6 "Seeing Red" - an attempted rape scene plays out like an act of desperation. Spike doesn't know what else to try. So he tries force, convinced it's the only way. Buffy is in no real danger and so all we're left with is the attempt, and the why behind it. The objective. As context is everything.

Blood Ties "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" - Vicki doesn't know what else to do. She's desperate to save him and "forces" Henry to give his blood; assaulting his sense of self. And it leaves a rift between them after the dust settles.

I think this is "Blood Ties" equvilant to what "Seeing Red" was in season 6; an episode which goes somewhere uneasy. For I've often paused to consider Henry's dialogue while spelunkling its hidden meanings; all the stuff writers inject by way of subtext and the infered, in case it sheds light on Henry/Vicki's relationship. And I think I've spotted something I hadn't before. I think Henry meant he felt violated by her. She crossed that line.

I could be overreaching here of course, reading too much into it, but if the writers are trying to construct a dynamic as complex as Spike and Buffy's, they're succeeding and I applaude them for it. One of the things which made the Jossverse so great was being able to find even more going on beneath the surface. If the writer's have been influenced by Mutant Enemy, I say bravo!

I also noticed another bit of subtext at the end of this episode, when Henry's helping a woozy-headed Vicki to stay on her feet after defeating psycho boy; she quips: "I can't keep doing this.." and Henry responds "I can't keep doing it either..."

And you can read things into that too, eh?

We're near the end of the season now, so of course we're starting to see the bigger picture; where they've been taking us this year. There's going to be a big bang at some point. I keep clinging to something Kyle Schmid said about episode 22:

Spoiler:
                                      he implied that Henry and Vicki get together romanically.

Which would be good news.

Last edited by Marie; 03-12-07, 10:58 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

2x09 &quot;We'll Meet Again&quot; and 2x10 &quot;Deep Dark&quot;....

I've been to Russia and back on the information hiway in my quest to see the last two episodes of "Blood Ties" - a journey which took me into a secret netherworld where mysterious unknows toil and requests are made on bended knee like offerings to the Gods. I'd almost given up hope and then suddenly... a ray of light; ah ah! Gotcha.

And so having seen now the last two episdoes of "Blood Ties" season 1, 2x09 "We'll Meet Again" and 2x10 "Deep Dark".... I can discuss what we've all been waiting for: to know what happens with Henry and Vicki, where the writers decided to leave the fans. And it pains me to say it, but it turns out to be at a fork in the road on the precipise of a cliffhanger. The finale of "Blood Ties" is a dead end with an open ending.

What a huge disappointment. Nothing gets resolved save for something needs to be decided by a character who can't make up her mind.

In a nutshell:

Vicki can't choose between Henry and Mike and as a result, both men decide to cut their losses and move on. Leaving Vicki to swallow the show's second most bitter pill - the first swallowed by us, as without doubt, it's the most unsatisfying way to end both a season and a series; it hasn't been renewed yet and hopes have all but died. For the season's arch assumes a second one will follow, too many question marks where left dangling in the air for it to be sloppy writing. And I wish they hadn't done that.

That said, at least we know now where we stand - it's just ironic that they waited until the finale to address it by, starting with 2x09...

I think it's obvious that Lee, the desperate young man in "We'll Meet Again" who asks Vicki for help in finding his lost soul mate, symbolically represents the longing in Henry's own heart. His plight, his yearning, his eternal devotion to the woman he loves, echoes the star-crossed road Henry's been on to win Vicki over, speaking directly to it by way of the subtext at work in his exchanges with her. Ie: this is a glimpse into Henry's heart and what it shares in common with Lee's. He loves Vicki with the feelings of a poet. Thus all the greater the pain and disappointment suffered when Henry's forced to acknowledge Vicki's cyncism towards romance will never change, in the wake of her inability to "get" where Lee's coming from; she doesn't believe in the power of love and her attitude and position belittlle it in Henry's eyes. They're not on the same page.

And with a heavy heart he makes a call to a trusted old friend named Augustus ( played by a wonderful character actor: Blu Mankuma ) who can assistant him - as Henry's decided to cut his losses and leave Toronto and head west; Vancouver.

Meanwhile...

Mike apparently lives in the real world. For unlike your typical Hollywood show where characters seemingly never need to worry about unemployment, his ongoing involvement in Vicki's cases are taking their toll down at the station. He's been warned repeatedly to do things by the book. He's also dangling by a thread thanks to Vicki; his job and heart are on the chopping block.

Events unfold, Lee ends up in jail after trying to force his soul mate to be with him; he'd been gone too long, she'd grown a older, the timing wasn't right, she was tired of the endless star-crossed nature of their relationship... she'd let go, moved on. Married. A final sad nail in the coffin of what they'd shared.

At the end of episode 2x09, Vicki's attitude towards love is like the tolling of a bell. And we can feel it coming, the writing's on the wall. This is not going to end well.

Coreen starts off "Deep Dark" with a visit to a fortune teller/psychic. She's tricked into letting the demon asteroth posses her body. Vicki's tatoos burn when it happens ( uh oh ) and upon finding and taking Coreen to Henry's apartment where they can guard her, Vicki sets off to save her assistant's soul with Henry & Mike's help and that of a priest recruited by Henry to perform an exorcism.

In the process of saving Coreen and defeating asteroth, which they do, along the way Mike reaches his breaking point with Vicki and let's her have straight between the eyes. She's too guarded emotionally and he's wasted the past year trying to get over her wall. Enough. He's done.

And so is Henry.

In what's arguably the most important scene in the finale, Henry gives it one last try - and with his heart in his eyes, invites Vicki (who knows of his plans to move ) to join him, go with him to Vancouver. Conflicted to the very end, Vicki tells Henry in a voice choked by indecision, that he's got 40 lifetimes left to him and Mike's only got this one, how can she... but it's not like... doesn't Henry know that all this time she's wanted to say yes to him?? Ie: it's not like I don't want you Henry, I just want someone else too.

Henry ultimately conceeds defeat walks out the door, leaving Vicki to choke on her faults and failings as the screen fades to black.

That, in a nutshell, is how "Blood Ties" bids the viewers adu.

And I thought the finale of BTVS season 7 blew chunks of projectile vomit.

These last two episodes were a noticable departure from the lighter fair we've enjoyed until now. The writers did indeed go deep dark. The supernatural aspect, Coreen possessed, was simply a writers device to steer the dialogue so greater underlying themes could be brought up to the surface; the complex nature of friendship, romance, trust, faith - love.

What sucks isn't that the writers went there, but that they ended it like a depressing French film. The characters don't walk off into the sunset even remotely happy and it's a massive bummer if you were hoping to see Henry and Vicki arm in arm. I felt cheated as a viewer, for the arch stretched beyond itself, I think. Again, for clearly thinking there'd be a second season.

Based on where they literally left it, I think they were aiming to relocate the series to the city where it's filmed, for starters. It also dovetails with the books, as Henry leaves for Vancouver in those as well. As to how to get the characters there in season 2...

Mike was suspended baring an interview review. He could end up getting transfered to Vancouver. Thanks to a pretext provided by a case, Vicki ends up in Vancouver and in the end, events unfold, opts to stay.

When you look at it that way, it makes sense how they ended things; a cliffhanger for the fans to pick away at over the summer months, before the new Fall season in Sept. Otherwise, it's a massive WTF? And you want to kick Vicki down the street. Along with the writers for NOT giving us one, last Henry & Vicki scene wherein they at least share a moment of passion.

Sigh. Huge, huge sigh.

But then, I'm biased. I wanted to see more of this below and I'm bummed out.

http://home.cablenet.ca/mhaws/henry_vicki_ban.jpg
                                        Last edited by Marie; 12-12-07, 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                                        X