Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moonlight - NEW VAMPIRE SHOW! Is it just like Angel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonlight - NEW VAMPIRE SHOW! Is it just like Angel?

Well, to follow up on the interest Lifetime created with "Blood Ties" last season seems CBS is offereing "Moonlight".

And guess what?? It's about a Vampire Detective!!! Sound familiar??

Here's the linky to the CBS site regarding the show:
    http://alpha.cbs.com/primetime/moonlight//

Wow! Looks pretty slick!! (Does the blond chick look a little like - Elizabeth Rohm who played Kate in Angel??http://alpha.cbs.com/primetime/moonl...ia_myles.shtml)

Here's the shows synopsis:

About the ShowMick St. John is a captivating, charming and immortal private investigator from Los Angeles, who defies the traditional blood-sucking norms of his vampire tendencies by using his wit and powerful supernatural abilities to help the living. In a life-altering twist of fate, Mick was "bitten" 60 years ago by his new bride, the seductive Coraline. Forever 30 years of age, Mick's as handsome and charismatic as the day he was "turned," and he eschews others of his kind who view humans only as a source of nourishment. With only a handful of like-minded confidantes for company, including the eternally young, wealthy and mischievous Josef, a hedge fund trader who relishes his uniqueness, (HEY! Could this be Spike?!?!? - TP<3)Mick fills his infinite days protecting the living.

One night years ago, a single act of kindness changed Mick when he saved a young girl's life, making him want to be a better vampire. Now their paths cross again and Mick develops a distinctive bond with Beth Turner, who has grown into a beautiful, ambitious Internet investigative reporter. Reconnecting with her unleashes feelings Mick knows he can't pursue without exposing that part of him that would make him a monster in Beth's eyes. As Mick lives between two realities, fighting his adversaries among the undead and falling in love, he discovers the mysteries and pleasures that a valuable life has to offer.
    Supposely, there will be some new "vampire rules" as I like to call them. Nick will have the ability to move around in the daytime. And I'm sure other differences will appear.

But can't help notice the similarities the show has to our favorite Angel show. Is it just that vampires make great detectives? Or are they trying to capitalize on the fandom of those who miss Angel??

I'm gonna check it out when it premieres - I'm a (dare I say it) "sucker" for vampires shows!!

Anyone else going to check this out too?? Does it sound like another Angel show??
    -TP<3
    "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
    - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably have to give it a chance. Man, but I too am a sucker for those vampires. I have a feeling this won't work out though. It really is a bit too much like Angel-though the freezer bit was new. If CBS wanted a vamp show they should have made a try for Angel when it got canceled. TV people are really not so clever sometimes.
    "All I ask is that... that you try to see me."

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian's Kitten View Post
      Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably have to give it a chance. Man, but I too am a sucker for those vampires. I have a feeling this won't work out though. It really is a bit too much like Angel-though the freezer bit was new. If CBS wanted a vamp show they should have made a try for Angel when it got canceled. TV people are really not so clever sometimes.
      Forgot about the freezer part!! That's way "cool"!

Like you I will give it a try. I do believe I read that at Comic Con the Q&A for the creators of the show audience members asked how the show was different from Angel.

Being a vampire-based show, it's drawing obviously comparisons to "Buffy" and "Angel", but Silver and the cast were to quick to point out that MOONLIGHT is a unique show unto itself and has its own voice and style despite the shared vampire theme.

Wooden stakes cannot kill "Moonlight's" vampires, but beheading or fire can. Vampires cannot fly, but have a high vertical leap, can "move real fast," and have super-human abilities like enhanced strength, hearing, and smell. Notably, sunlight makes these vampires uncomfortable, but it does not kill them. (also garlic, crosses and Holy Water have not affect on them as well...)

O'Laughlin, also contrasting "Moonlight" against "Buffy" and "Angel," said, "It only deals with vampires in 2007, who walk among us." The show is "based on realism, not otherworldly creatures."
      So I think they are dealing with the criticism and comparison by - HEY! Making it like "Forever Knight"!

Interesting also that it's created by David Greenwalt - who produced Angel and Buffy!!!
      -TP<3
      "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

The vampire detective is certainly nothing new. It's been done lots of times. :/

I don't think I will be watching. If it sticks around and people seem to enjoy it THEN I might give it a chance. But it's not doing much for me right now. I was never big on vampires actually. Buffy and Angel are the exception.
        sigpic
        follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I'm interested because I'm a fan of Jason Dohring, Sophia Myles, and Shannyn Sossamon. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have watched it until like people started talking about how good it was. But i dunno it seems like it might be kind of interesting. I need to fill the Angel-sized whole in my heart lol.

Comment

I like the actors in the show especially Jason dorhing cuz I loved him on veronica mars. Im going to miss that show. But anyways Yeah Im going to watch it even though I My doubs that Its too much like Angel.
            sigpic

Comment

Well I will watch it, just don't let it be on Channel 10, Charmed, Torchwood and Smallville have all suffered because of it and Supernatural bound to be next (It took about a year or two before we saw the whole season of 7/8 of Charmed, and don't get me started on Smallville)..

It sahould be interesting, have they started fliming yet? And also, this might give the actors of Angel/Buffy to come on (Yes a bit of me hopes Amber gets a role or something, oh and James, and Sarah as avampire, that would be funny since we already seen a Vampire Amber/Tara verison, why not Sarah?).

Edit: When I looked at that first link, one oif those images reminded me of Glenn Quinn....

Hilda Celeriac: You better tell me everything or I am gonna go Lex Luthor on your ass!
              Hey guys, if you know Amber is coming to Brisbane or anywhere near it, then page me (Well PM, just referencing Buffy)

Comment

Yes, they have started filming. I have promo pics on my site and I have seen the ep stills up to episode three.

The show was actually recast after the initial pilot and most of the actors were changed...which is how Dohring and Sossamon ended up on the show...
                sigpic
                follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

Originally posted by Nikole View Post
                  I'm interested because I'm a fan of Jason Dohring, Sophia Myles, and Shannyn Sossamon. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have watched it until like people started talking about how good it was. But i dunno it seems like it might be kind of interesting. I need to fill the Angel-sized whole in my heart lol.
                  Yeah, I adore Dohring, and like Myles (she was an awesome vamp in Underworld!), so they're definitely turn-ons! Even if it is kind of a rip-off of Angel, I too am a sucker for vampire shows, so I will be at least trying it out, though I suspect it won't last long, especially not in a Friday night time slot! (I don't think I can watch tommorrow night!). Thank goodness for online viewing nowadays!

PS--Jenni, I adore your new banner set--yay for Bones!
                  Promise that you'll return to me.

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I will probably watch it tomorrow night if I'm not busy when it comes on but it seems like a show that I won't get into.I just like to give new shows a try.

Comment

i'm already sharpening my claws for tonight. i'll give it a chance, but i promise to shred it if it is as bad as it sounds.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                      "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

I'm actually kind of excited to see it, if only to see Jason Dohring (who I adore, and who will be EXCELLENT in the role described, he's so good for that, I predict he'll steal the show!).

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

"It all started with a girl..."

HHHHMMmmm... Where HAVE I heard that phrase?!? LOL!!

Okay - I'm really liking this show so far!!! Alex O'Loughlin makes a pretty hott vampire!! The overall feel and look of the show has large scale attraction to it - making it different from Angel in that aspect but I like the simplistic "non-demon" storylines!! And that's what I liked about Forever Knight. Now it may not stay that way - and that's okay too!

We are getting some of the "flash-back" scenes like in Forever Knight as well. Although Angel had the occasional episode that went back in the history of the vampires it did not maintain that catch every episode. If Moonlight continues to FB in each episode it will be more like FK.

Also - did you notice the "Classic Car"?? Anyone catch what make and model it was?? It was almost like the creators wanted us to know it was an old car but didn't want to call too much attention to it. LOL!! (cross-discussion with Forever Knight thread - https://www.buffyforums.net/sh...67&postcount=3)

Some of my favorite lines from the episode:

Josef - "Now we got the food mouthing off about the farmer?"

Beth: She was into vampires
                          Nick: Yeah. I hear their back in fashion

And Jason Doering - FANTASTIC!!! I love the Josef character!!!! I do love my naughty boyz.

Oh and loved the Evanescence music!! Always perect music for vampire/angsty shows!! LOL!!!

I'll be watching next week!!!
                          ThePoet's<3
                          I am NOT Twilight!!
                          Last edited by ThePoet's<3; 29-09-07, 04:11 AM.
                          -TP<3

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Well, I'm impressed. I expected to throw up at the TV, but I actually liked it. Nothing great or fantastic, but amusing and entertaining

First off, Jason Dohring. Ah, this is the PERFECT role for him! And I mean PERFECT! He was amazing as Josef and I'm mad that even though he's a regular, he got two damn scenes, which makes me pissed! One of my favorite lines from him:

Josef: I know you have that whole attraction to mortals, and I'm fine with that....well, sorta.

I just love JD as Josef! Can't wait to see more of him! He was definitely the highlight of the show.

Is it just me, or is Beth like an exact replica of Kate? I really like that actress, she's great. Her interactions with Mike (is that it?) are nice but I don't think the actor that plays Mike is that strong. I think the other cast members will push it up over him. He's not bad, but not really special.

The vampire mythology they brought in is strange....very strange, and I'm not sure if I like it. They make vampires this indestructible thing. I guess that's not too bad, but it seems strange to me. They withstand anything except decapitation and fire.....bugs me

I liked the twist. The plot was okay, nothing outstanding, but kept me watching.

Overall, it was nice. I'll be watching. WANT MORE JOSEF!

Comment

Hmmmm....I have to say this is the one new show I've watched this year that completely sucked. I found the writing to be lame, the acting pitiful, and the complete Angel rip-off unforgivable. And I didn't have any pre-conceived prejudices coming in. Quite the contrary, I was actually looking forward to the premeire. But it just didn't get it done for me. I watched the first half-hour, and then shut off the TV and watched the Grey's premeire on the abc website. Now that was television... Needless to say, I won't be continuing this show. But since I didn't like it and found it dumb, I'm sure it will be picked up and will continue for many seasons... It's only the shows that I find very good and entertaining *coughtheNinecough* that networks seem to let die.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBoy View Post
                                Well, I'm impressed. I expected to throw up at the TV, but I actually liked it. Nothing great or fantastic, but amusing and entertaining

First off, Jason Dohring. Ah, this is the PERFECT role for him! And I mean PERFECT! He was amazing as Josef and I'm mad that even though he's a regular, he got two damn scenes, which makes me pissed! One of my favorite lines from him:

Josef: I know you have that whole attraction to mortals, and I'm fine with that....well, sorta.

I just love JD as Josef! Can't wait to see more of him! He was definitely the highlight of the show.

Is it just me, or is Beth like an exact replica of Kate? I really like that actress, she's great. Her interactions with Mike (is that it?) are nice but I don't think the actor that plays Mike is that strong. I think the other cast members will push it up over him. He's not bad, but not really special.

The vampire mythology they brought in is strange....very strange, and I'm not sure if I like it. They make vampires this indestructible thing. I guess that's not too bad, but it seems strange to me. They withstand anything except decapitation and fire.....bugs me

I liked the twist. The plot was okay, nothing outstanding, but kept me watching.

Overall, it was nice. I'll be watching. WANT MORE JOSEF!

I agree with you on several points -

Alex O'Loughlin needs to step up the acting. He's got some great lines in there - he needs to add his own personal slant to them. As you said, Jason Doering's Josef stole every scene he was in!!! And yes - I want to see more of him!! Maybe they will do "Flashbacks" of the vampires so we can see more of them in the episodes!!

Oh Beth looks so much like Elizabeth Rohm who played Kate in Angel. I thought so from the moment I saw her!!

Kate Lockley - Elizabeth Rohm

Beth Turner - Sophia Myles

The vampire rules are rather strange... I do wish everyone would get together and agree on a set of rules for vampires and stick with it!!LOL!! Although decapitation has always been a "vampire rule". Usually, it was then stuffed with garlic. Not often - but there were some - vamps were decaptitated in Buffy.

Speed has also been a vampire rule - it was used mostly in Angel - along wiith the big jumps - and only once by Spike in Buffy.

I actually did like some of the Angel comparisons. I think they will keep them to a limit. It may have been the producer's way of saying - "yeah I kknow you think it's like Angel - lets show you a little bit of how - but it's not completely like Angel. I actually found it to be more like Forever Knight and Dresden Files.

I'll watch for a while - I"ve been sucked in!!!!
                                -TP<3

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Hmm...I gotta say I agree with LRae, this show is terrible! I was cringing from the very beginning, with that stupid fake imaginary interview, which seemed to be "Oh, we need to explain crap but we can't think of a more creative way to do it, so here, have an infodump!" Even as much as I adore JD, he didn't seem to be at the top of his game here--though he was the best part, along with Kevin Weisman (the guy who was the techie on Alias--love him!). I agree with one review that said
                                  Moonlight" would be way cooler if Mick, Josef and Beth sat around Josef's poolside lair and traded snarks all night.
                                  My fave line by him was the "vampire solidarity, rah rah!"--which was so Logan! Oh, and the "veagan soy blood" line! Though why is JD always cast as the rich boy?

And I found the mystery a little bit interesting--vampire cult (a little darker than the one on Buffy) with a sexually abusive teacher--oooh, scandalous! (Though perhaps even more unrealistic than the demons--like the college wouldn't fire a professor like that teaching lectures like that and known to be associated with a cult, and connected to several student deaths?! PLEASE!). Speaking of the college, was I the only one doing a double-take when they mentioned that it was Hearst College? Is this now an official fictional institution of higher education? Did they decide that it wasn't enough to just rip off ATS and FK--why not VM as well?

But yeah, for the most part the writing was very lame, Sophia and Mick don't have much chemistry at all, all their scenes felt forced, the writing was bad and cheesy, and there was too much blatant ATS-ripping off (bad ex-girlfriend who keeps showing up and who the main vampire tries to kill by BURNING (perhaps he watched "Redefinition" for that tip?!), the EXACT SAME CAR, the EXACT SAME IN BETWEEN SHOTS OF THOSE BUILDINGS, MOVING FAST--maybe they just borrowed the shots from ATS? I mean, obviously it's in the same city, but the way the shots were all fast and quick, it looked JUST LIKE ON ANGEL. Then there's blood in the fridge (though I guess they changed it by making him inject blood into himself instead of drinking it--but why?! Ewww! Others drink blood....), working with a Kate clone on the case, the "disappearing thing"). I was cringing nearly the whole time.

Now, I don't mind not having a set vamp mythology--personally I found the vamps on BTVS/ATS to be somewhat lame mythology wise, especially those silly faces--though the ones they had here weren't much better. Some aspects of these vamps reminded me of some of the vamps in some books I really liked by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes--like not being killed by sunlight, not being killed by a stake to the heart, etc. Some of his powers though, like the "seeing the past and future" thing just seemed ridiculous however.

And like LRae, I was actually going into this show feeling excited and eager to see it--so it's not preconceptions weighing me down. Overall, a great disappointment--but unlike LRae, I feel this one's going to be cancelled pretty quickly, given how bad it is, and the bad reviews--it reminds me of a werewolf show called "Wolf Creek" or something in that way. Though to be truthful, in my heart of hearts I never expected it to last anyway.

I think I still might watch it online until it does get cancelled though--call me a glutton for punishment!

icon by sireesanswar

Comment

I'm not going to go into much detail but I didn't like it at all.I thought most the acting sucked and it was well lame to me.The vampire rules were kinda weird although they are some similar to the Anne Rice rules but for those that did like it,no big it just wasn't my taste

Comment

I hate to say it because I really wanted to like this show but I have to agree with most people here, this premiere was really lame. I'm a sucker for vampire shows ( ) and I adore Jason Dohring so I thought I'd give it a chance, despite the Angel rip-off-ness of it all.

I thought this series premiere was rather boring and the lead character does not intrigue me at all. The actor who plays Mick does not seem to be the most versatile, at least not in this episode. And I found Mick's backstory really not that interesting. I guess I'm spoiled from BTVS and Ats in that regard. Also, Mick's motivation for becoming a "good vampire" was also not very clearly shown IMO.

Jason Dohring's performance was okay, although it was a pity that he had only two scenes in the entire ep. I thought he was better in the second scene and yeah I guess there is room for improvement in his acting. But I guess as an actor you have to grow into your role a bit.

Originally posted by sherrilina View Post
                                      My fave line by him was the "vampire solidarity, rah rah!"--which was so Logan! Oh, and the "veagan soy blood" line! Though why is JD always cast as the rich boy?
                                      I know! Those lines made me laugh out aloud. I like that JD plays another bad boy but yeah I have no idea why he always plays rich guys. Well his character is certainly the most intriguing of the entire show.

Speaking of the college, was I the only one doing a double-take when they mentioned that it was Hearst College? Is this now an official fictional institution of higher education? Did they decide that it wasn't enough to just rip off ATS and FK--why not VM as well?
                                      I know! I was like WTF? Maybe they tried to give us VM fans a little something but I thought it was rather irritating.

and there was too much blatant ATS-ripping off (bad ex-girlfriend who keeps showing up and who the main vampire tries to kill by BURNING (perhaps he watched "Redefinition" for that tip?!), the EXACT SAME CAR, the EXACT SAME IN BETWEEN SHOTS OF THOSE BUILDINGS, MOVING FAST--maybe they just borrowed the shots from ATS? I mean, obviously it's in the same city, but the way the shots were all fast and quick, it looked JUST LIKE ON ANGEL.
                                      I totally agree. In fact, this really pissed me off, that they used the same night shots as on Ats. I hope they are at least paying Joss something for so blatantly ripping off his show.

So I don't know, I might watch the second ep just for Jason Dohring but if this show does not rapidly improve and also if this show is all about the MOTW without any seasonal arc to speak of whatsoever, then I will stop watching it and rather rewatch my Ats DVDs.

Comment

here are all the comparisons i could think of:

los angeles = los angeles

"it started with a girl" = "it started with a girl" -- line stolen right out of angel's first episode, "city of"

frequent flashy overhead intercut shots of los angeles skyscrapers = moonlight pretty much just stole footage here

angel stands on top of skyscrapers like batman ("billowy coat, king of pain") = mick does the same in the trailers... the coat billows

angel fights with roundhouse kicks and tossing people in the air = mick does the same

angel is famous for kicking down doorways = mick does the same in the footage rescuing beth

angel isn't afraid to rip off a few body parts = mick says he isn't afraid to rip off a few body parts

angel killed his sire (darla) only for her to return = mick thinks he killed his sire (coraline) only for her to return

angel tries to burn darla and drusilla with fire = mick tries to burn coraline with fire

drusilla dresses about a century out-of-date and is totally off her rocker = coraline dresses about a century out-of-date and seems a bit off her rocker

spike, the smart-ass vampire looks at humans as "happy meals with legs" = josef, the smart-ass vampire looks at humans as just food

angel, who hates what he is = mick, who hates what he is

angel has a gloomy apartment with a big easy chair = mick has a gloomy apartment with a big easy chair

angel has I.V. bags or pig's blood in his fridge that he gets from the butcher = mick has vials of human blood he gets from the morgue

cordelia provides angel his daily blood and cracks jokes about "o positive" and such = mexican mortician provides mick his daily blood and cracks jokes about "o positive" and such

angel in love with BLONDE mortal who is hip to the current generation (buffy) = mick in love with BLONDE mortal who is hip to the current generation (beth)

private detective (kinda--it's only a cover) = private detective

angel saw love of his life before he was formerly introduced to her (angel in becoming pt. 1) = mick saw love of his life before he was formerly introduced to her (mick in pilot)

drives '67 plymouth convertible = drives antique convertible

vampires have super speed, acute hearing and smell = ditto

angel has the occasional bad vampire pun ("manpire"/"i'm tired of always being the dead one") = mick has the occasional bad vampire pun ("being a vampire sucks")

angel is shown to sniff blood at a crime scene and knows whose blood it is--people not in the know are amazed when he just seems to have guessed = mick is shown to sniff blood at a crime scene and knows whose blood it is--people not in the know are amazed when he just seems to have guessed

angel's first mission out involved meeting a girl in a coffee shop (she becomes a victim) = beth meets one of the victims in a diner

the girl in the coffee shop, tina, knew a previous victim of russell winters that was killed = the girl in the diner knew a previous victim of the cult leader that was killed

angel hovers in the shadows of a daylight funeral for someone killed by vampires (trevor lockley) = mick hovers in the tree shade of a daylight funeral for someone killed by a vampire cult leader

angel's first mission--he ends up having to rescue the main girl of the series (cordelia) from russell winters, who has lured cordelia to his mansion = mick's first series mission--he ends up having to rescue the main girl of the series (beth) from vampire cult leader, who has lured beth to his cult meeting

at the start of the relationship with buffy, angel saves buffy only to get slashed in the ribs = at the start of the relationship with beth, mick saves beth only to get stabbed in the ribs

angel has an alcoholic metaphor = mick has a heroin junkie metaphor

angel frequently pops in and out, teasing buffy because he always seems to disappear and pop up behind her = beth is getting frustrated with mick always appearing and disappearing on her

angel drops anvils of hints that he's a vampire on buffy before she actually finds out = mick drops anvils of hints that he's a vampire on beth before she actually finds out

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                                        "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Working...
                                        X