Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A possible upcoming Angel appearence? SPOILERS

Hey

Well apparently at the Dollhouse Comic-Con panel Joss was asked questions about season eight and when Angel would show up. This is how it went down;

When are we going to see Angel in season 8 of Buffy?

Joss Whedon "Probably when it's the most painful"

That seems like pretty common knowledge by now, but it could just as easily be teasing. But then Buffyfest reported that he also said this;

Buffyfest-"After Joss said the above quote, he then commented that Angel will appear when Georges Jeanty can get the drawing right. He said he talked to Jeanty and he was having trouble with it. My immediate thought was: Why is Jeanty drawing Angel????"

So are we thinking Angel is 100% appearing sometime soon in season eight? And if so what are we guessing his role will be? Was Joss just teasing?

Vamps

~ Banner by Nina ~

Funny that Jeanty as trouble drawing Angel. I believe that it was Stephen Mooney who said that Angel was the most easy one. I believe that he said that it was 'easy' to draw Angel because of DB's strong features.

But didn't Joss already said once that Angel and Spike would show their faces in BtVS season 8 (or 9?).

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
      Funny that Jeanty as trouble drawing Angel. I believe that it was Stephen Mooney who said that Angel was the most easy one. I believe that he said that it was 'easy' to draw Angel because of DB's strong features.
      I think he has strong features that make him recognisable, like you know who it is but I don't think a lot of people have drawn him all that well. I'm not a big fan of the art in 'Aftermath' what so ever. But I just find it weird that both Joss and Jeanty as suddenly so worried about it? He has already drawn Angel in 'The Long Way Home.'

But didn't Joss already said once that Angel and Spike would show their faces in BtVS season 8 (or 9?).
      Well some people think it was never going to happen and Allie has never wanted to confirm it. I think this is really the first quote since Joss' comments about them appearing sparingly way back when the comic started, that's pretty much confirmed Angel is said to make an appearance.

But like I said, Joss could have just been teasing? I wasn't there but he's a pretty witty sarcastic guy so it's possible his tone has been lost in translation when it's recounted on the net, I think it's a but suspicious they're so worried about Jenny getting the likeness of a character he's already drawn once before and when it hasn't really been that much of an issue with him and any other character. He admits he didn't feel like he got Faith's likeness down until the end of that arc but Joss didn't wait for him to get used to her, so why Angel?

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I wonder why that is (about Jeanty drawing Angel). He seems to draw a pretty good Angel from what I've seen.

In fact, looky here (there are sketches of both Angel and Spike): http://www.kabalounge.com/buffy/buffygallery

From my personal drawing knowledge, Angel really is one of the easiest to draw. If there's anyone that the artists seem to have trouble with, it's Urru with Wesley. Angel and Spike both have pretty obvious features when it comes to drawing them. And Buffy can always be differentiated from any other blonde girl by her nose.

Though I am *SO* glad that Angel is going to be in season 8. He's insanely relevant to the plotline right now.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
        "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

I posted the link to the full video in the Dollhouse thread. I don't think he was teasing, vampmogs, but listen and judge for yourself (don't want to make any claims of proof.) Michelle (from Buffyfest) reeeeeaaally believes that it means Angel is Twilight. She loves that theory.

Dammit, if only we had done the Georges Jeanty interview and the Dollhouse panel in reverse order, we could've asked Georges to comment.

Comment

I watched it and got to say that he seemed to mostly be joking to me? The Georges comment just seemed like a joke I don't think he was being serious? I think he was being serious about the "most pain" comment but not about Jeanty having trouble drawing him, he was just goofing around about Angel's big forehead. But you were actually there, so I'd rather take your word for it.
            Last edited by vampmogs; 09-02-09, 11:15 PM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by Buffyfest View Post
              I posted the link to the full video in the Dollhouse thread. I don't think he was teasing, vampmogs, but listen and judge for yourself (don't want to make any claims of proof.) Michelle (from Buffyfest) reeeeeaaally believes that it means Angel is Twilight. She loves that theory.

Dammit, if only we had done the Georges Jeanty interview and the Dollhouse panel in reverse order, we could've asked Georges to comment.
              Yep...that's the first thing I thought, that Angel (probably Angelus, really.) must be "Twilight". Why else would his appearance be "the most painful" moment for Buffy? Unless of course, Angelus is Twilight and has also remembered "that move" because he saw Buffy slice Caleb in two and wants to exterminate the slayer line? How do we explain the ability to fly? Does the new WarriorAngel character on "Aftermath" die and give Angel his flight ability? (assuming he can fly.)
              This would be the third time Angelus would be at large. (season 2 Buffy, season 4 Angel, season 6 Angel/season 8 buffy?)

Just a theory...but I think it fits!

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                But you were actually there, so I'd rather take your word for it.
                I'd rather you didn't...it's prolly just the wishful thinking part of my brain auto-tuning Joss's sarcasm to my liking!

Michelle's pretty convinced though. Can't break her Twilight theory no matter what. She's sure that Georges is drawing foreheads right now. I don't think we'll have to wait much longer to find out, though.

Originally posted by Chace View Post
                Yep...that's the first thing I thought, that Angel (probably Angelus, really.) must be "Twilight".
                Well again, it's Michelle's theory, but it worked better when Connor was still dead. Something about it being Angel more than Angelus b/c he'd be livid over the death of his son and wanting to end magic(k). Now that that's been reset, it doesn't really apply.

I personally still think Twilight is Giles but that's a whole other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                  I watched it and got to say that he seemed to mostly be joking to me? The Georges comment just seemed like a joke I don't think he was being serious? I think he was being serious about the "most pain" comment but not about Jeanty having trouble drawing him, he was just goofing around about Angel's big forehead. But you were actually there, so I'd rather take your word for it.
                  I think Joss was being silly but still serious. Consider his reaction to Nathan Fillion teasing Serenity 2 (not gonna happen) - he dropped his head in his hands, called Nathan a name and said he's playing the audience like a yo-yo. After that happened, he then talked about Angel. So Joss is very aware that any answer to a question that isn't a no, is going to be taken as a yes or at least a strong probability.
                  sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

I doubt that Angel would play the role of bad guy or betrayer in season 8. If he was playing such a big role, it would make sense if Joss would go on with planning his story. You can't let Brian write stories about Angel without any input and make him a bad guy on the other show. And it is a missed shot, if Angel is Twilight or the betrayer, he could be developped on his own show. Angel being a bad guy would be the worst 'shock effect' plot in the 'verse and I doubt that IDW would like it.

So I still think that Angel will return and be the person who shows Buffy the right way. Or he is there when something bad happens in her life. But I don't think that he is the reason for the pain.

I think that Joss wasn't joking about Angel's return as well. But again, I still try to remember where I saw that Joss said that both; Angel and Spike, would visit BtVS.
                    Last edited by Nina; 10-02-09, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I tend to think Angel is only Twilight if this is indeed the last year of either franchise.
                      sigpic

Comment

We've already seen that Jeanty can draw both Angel and Spike, not from the link given above, but from Buffy's dreamspace sequence in #3, they were pretty well done, even if they weren't that detailed.

I hope Angel shows up because I think the gap between the two shows needs to be bridged, it's getting wider and I think it needs to be clarified what each character does and doesn't know.
                        Last edited by Matt; 12-02-09, 03:08 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Moreover, he and Buffy have meant so much to each other they can't possibly walk out of each other's life and never meet again.

Angel as the bad guy? Well, Angelus as the bad guy, duh (and he makes a magnificent villain, so I'd actually appreciate the idea), but Angel? It would sort of destroy the character, wouldn't it? It would be entirely out of character for him, in my opinion.
                          Sin is what I feast upon
                          I'm forging my crematorium
                          Your tomb is waiting here for you
                          Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsucker View Post
                            It would sort of destroy the character, wouldn't it? It would be entirely out of character for him, in my opinion.
                            Making a stand against Buffy if he feels she's lost her way isn't really OOC. Angel's capable of big picture thinking and would be exactly the kind of guy who would do that. However, Twilight wants *genocide* of all the slayers and is manipulating the world to like vampires, both of which I'd find pretty OOC for Angel to want or do.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

And if he thought Buffy had lost her way, would he not try to contact her in person first? I just can't see him setting up some evil scheme, assuming a pseudonym and plannign a lethal strike at her, no matter what she does. He even helps Faith in AtS I after all she's done, so he would do that kind of thing a lot more readily for Buffy, wouldn't he?
                              Sin is what I feast upon
                              Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Agreed. Twilight isn't Angel. I don't think Dark Horse would risk doing that what with Angel having his own canon comics over on IDW. Making Angel become Twilight would put Dark Horse in a position where they either have to (a) ignore the IDW stuff, or (b) work with IDW to steer the character in this direction. Both options are pretty messy, disagreeable and way too much work for both parties.

Plus there's the fact that Angel has already been the big bad. And it's not like him to put on a mask and act under a fake name. I doubt Angel would work with Riley and I don't think he wants to rid the world of magic seeing as how most of his friends and family are magical creatures. Himself included.

Comment

I'm not convinced that Angel isn't going to be Twilight yet. I hope he isn't. Same with Giles, I hope it isn't him either. Or Xander.

Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

Comment

Has anyone imagined that Twilight might be Pike or Hank? I encountered this theory in previous forums, and people have made some pretty convincing arguments that Whedon could retcon Hank or Pike to be hiding in the background throughout the series, building up resentment or something. He certainly did this with Amy on the whole Warren thing. Why not on those two?

Comment

Do we know at all that he is one of the characters who have already made an appearance? (dumb newbie question )
                                      Sin is what I feast upon
                                      Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I think I've got it.

Twilight is the infusion of Amy and Warren!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X