Buffy's PR nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy's PR nightmare

I just posted on Livejournal about this, but thought it would be an interesting debate to have here. My question to you is... what should Buffy do about her PR disaster - vampires are seen as cuddly, Slayers as deadly. How to reverse that situation?

Some suggestions (not all serious, but just to get the ball roling):

Buffy and co are not at the world's popular table these days. What can they do about it? Buffy thinks they should lie low and bide their time. But what might their "proactive with pep" options be? Surely they can outmanouvre Harmony, who's not exactly a tactical genius. Though, perhaps her stupidity puts her in tune with the average pitch level of the chat show circuit.

So, what can Buffy do? Perhps she could...

...hire CJ Cregg as a spin doctor. She'd have them rehabilitated in no time. Ok, that's not a serious suggestion. Though they could always create a portal to the Westingverse. Just saying.

... or hire some former Sunnydale alumni/residents to go on talk shows and be living testimonials for Buffy. Out of all those people she saved, I'm sure there are a few who'd just love to be reality tv stars, so it shouldn't be that hard to convince them to speak up. I think this could work nicely, and would have the advantage of being true. If that really is a PR advantage.

... she could stage some large-scale vampire rescue scenarios, prove that they're helping people, and show what vampires are really like.

... with that in mind, they could film a documentary about vampires, with no slayers in necessarilym just showing what they really do.

... they could magically kidnap Harmony and stuff a soul up her ass

... or I've added some other options in the poll. One I'm actually quite into is the idea of working with Giles and milking his contact list - I'm sure there must be some old Council contacts in high places who could help her out of her sticky place.
    What else, do you think?
    Create a "Slayers Gone Wild" reality show. People will focus on how hot slayers are, not how deadly.
    19.35%
    Kill Harmony, quietly, then start a PR campaign.
    6.45%
    Work with Giles and use his Watcherly contacts, perhaps with M15 or the CIA, to spin the story
    35.48%
    Give Harmony a soul and hope she stops all her nonsense
    12.90%
    Go dark, as Buffy plans
    25.81%
    Last edited by Wolfie Gilmore; 08-02-09, 05:01 PM.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Get Angel and Spike to explain vampires to the world with their newfound popularity and why they are different than vampires like Harmony. Have them vouch for Buffy. Let them tell about what vampires are really like using their own past histories as evidence.

Go with Lorne's idea of making a movie using the two-vampires-in-love-with-a-Slayer plotline (the idea that audiences would go ape over it), except milk Buffy's history in the media. It might get Buffy a few points because it beats Harmony's sensationalism factor (beating her at her own game with an even more sensationalist story) and it disproves that Buffy hates all vampires. Buffy wouldn't even need the presence of her vampire beaus to sell that story. Make the audience think that she is the coolest thing around. Let's face it, juicy, sordid details of melodramatic human/vampire romance beats a fluffy, pink vampire reality show.

If all else fails, have Willow stuff a soul into Harmony. Or use it as a threat to see if Harmony backs down.
    Last edited by NileQT87; 09-02-09, 12:15 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Killing Harmony would be disastrous now, as it would only reinforce the view of the Slayers that the public is being fed. Soledad was an idiot, as her public move looked like nothing more than an attempt by a complete nutcase to murder a TV star; people who know what vampires really are wouldn't be fooled, but for the general public (most of whom have never had any contact with the supernatural and probably wouldn't even believe Harmony really is a genuine vampire at this point), would believe only what they saw, which was their ditzy blonde flavor of the month defending herself against a crazed assailant. And it's debatable how much of that they saw; those shows are not broadcast live, and careful editing could easily make things look even worse for the Slayers.

Going underground would be nearly as bad. There is nothing people fear and hate more than things they don't know and understand. Enough damage has already been done that there's no guarantee anything would repair it, but the only real option with any chance of success is for the Slayers to go full public with the history of the Slayer line.

Not that there aren't people who'd call for their heads anyway, on the grounds that their long-cherished beliefs would be contradicted.

Some religious groups in the Real World would not in any way be able to tolerate the existence of vampires because of the offense to their sensibilities (I mean, look at the evangelists who proclaim themselves and their followers "soldiers" in a "war against Satan".) But these same religious groups would be gunning for the Slayers just as much, because Slayer history doesn't jibe with the Biblical version - not to mention, if some of these guys are virulently anti-women's rights, and refer to any suggestion that women should have a voice in their own home as "witchcraft", imagine what they'd think about the Slayer line, not to mention finding out that the Slayers actually do have witches in their employ, and witches whose magick actually works.

Homophobic groups like a certain well-known "pastor" in Kansas would have a field day with the "militant lesbian" image (even if there was no Satsu or Kennedy or Willow, does anyone really think that would stop these guys from using that?)

The First Slayer was African; think that would set well with white supremacist groups? Or the fact that Slayers can be called from any ethnic group anywhere in the world?

The fact is, the Slayers would have a tough time countering what's already been presented to the public, no matter what they do. As often as not, the first opinion voiced is assumed by the average person to be correct. Don't believe that? Talk to people about criminal trials, and pay attention to how many people believe that "they wouldn't have been arrested if they weren't guilty", no matter how how flimsy the case may be against the accused or how many times convictions are overturned because the convicted person was found to be innocent of the crime. All it takes is making an accusation and the general public assumes that it's true.

Oh - and Buffy is one of the last people who needs to be speaking publicly. Absolutely use her as the "poster girl", but she's not a public speaker, too easily flustered, and too quick-tempered to be put on the spot. Same goes for Faith, or Kennedy, or Willow, or pretty much any of the others we're familiar with.
      "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

I don't think that giving Harmony a soul would fix anything. From what we know, she is still the only vampire who is less evil as a vampire than as a human. A soul makes Harmony evil. Or at least, she won't care or change I think.

The people who could do some good PR for Buffy, are the ones that she turned her back on; Angel, Spike or Giles could do something. Angel and Spike, because like Nile already pointed, are famous and loved by the people. And Giles is the person with the right connections (like already stated in the poll.). So the best thing for Buffy to do, is contacting these people and asking them to help her out. (I doubt that any of these three people actually like the new adoration of vampires.)

If she is too proud to do this;

-She should let Andrew make some PR clips.
        -Look for some girls without a shady past and make them poster girls.
        -Also a campain where slayers actual help people would do good.
        -Or make sure that some good journalists find out about the real nature of vampires.
        Last edited by Nina; 08-02-09, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I don't think Harmony was "more evil" as a human. As a human, she was mean, spoilt and immature but that's nothing that can't be grown out of given time and experience. As a vampire, she has an inherently evil nature. She must drink blood to survive and enjoys the suffering of others. The only reason we -the audience find her "nicer" as a vampire is because she's been taken down a few notches and we've seen how emotionally vulnrable she can be. I don't think her "niceness" has anything to do with her vampire status and lack of soul, but rather the fact that highschool is over and people in the real world aren't going to put up with her crap. We've seen her bullied at work much like she used to bully people at school. We've seen guys treat her like dirt. I think this is the sort of thing that helps the audience relate to and feel sypathy for Harm. This is dispite her being a vampire, not because of it. I think putting a soul back in Harmony might do more good than people think. I think that as nasty as Harmony was, she'd still be horrified that the killed people. Remember how much of an uncaring jerk Angel was before he was sired? Looking at the situation logicly, I don't think putting Harmony's soul back is a bad idea... I mean it certainly can't hurt the situation.

But I doubt the writers will do that, and I don't think I'd want them to anyway. We've already had the "vampire with a soul" storyline, the "ex/demon, ex vampire" storyline done several times. I don't think we need another vamp with a soul, even if the logic behind it works pretty well.

And for a pro-slayer, anti-vampire spokesperson? I'd suggest Anne. She understands exactly how the public feels about vampires becasue she used to feel that way herself. She could tell the public about how she was nearly killed by vampires until Buffy saved her. In fact Buffy has saved Anne's life twice. I think Anne would make a great spokesperson and people would respect her.

Comment

Originally posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
            And for a pro-slayer, anti-vampire spokesperson? I'd suggest Anne. She understands exactly how the public feels about vampires becasue she used to feel that way herself. She could tell the public about how she was nearly killed by vampires until Buffy saved her. In fact Buffy has saved Anne's life twice. I think Anne would make a great spokesperson and people would respect her.
            Oh what a fantastic idea! You deserve a rep for that, it's brilliant Anne would be great as she was able to inspire all this trust and faith from the kids in her community in LA, and yes- she could be a possible spokeswoman for Buffy as Buffy had saved her life and impacted her in such a huge way. And what's even better is that narratively it works as a tie in to 'Lie to Me' when this whole concept was first explored. What a great idea to have a girl who was once foolish enough to believe vampires were misunderstood come out and tell the world how foolish they now are.

It could be the slayer’s tag line;

ANNE: I thought vampires were the coolest."

ANGEL: What changed?

ANNE: I met one.

Completely agree about Harmony by the way- being a high school bitca isn't the same kinda "evil" as being a murderous vampire. Her change in attitude was simply because Harmony's self described "golden years" were over and she wasn't popular anymore. As a vampire she had no friends, was treat like crap by Spike, was hated by her co-workers and had no place- it just grounded her a little. She didn't have a reason to be as sure of herself and when she did, such as 'Disharmony' when she joined the vampire cult, she reverted back to her old self. The whole 'Predators and Prey' arc kind of shows how diabolical she can be if she wants to be.
            Last edited by vampmogs; 09-02-09, 09:22 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I think in some ways they maybe need to sacrifice some humans. Hearing vampires are evil horrible beings is one thing, but seeing it is something else entirely. Spike and Angel could explain it all, but considering how meek harmony is compared to other vampires its not hard to see why people think vampires aren't really all that bad. Showing that Harmony is actually an exception to the rule (unless the vampire is souled) and that vampires will kill you without any just cause or reason simply because they can and want blood may go a long way to helping the slayers.

Comment

Surely it can't be that hard to either dig up footage, or set up a hidden camera to get footage of a vampire violently attacking someone?

Speaking of camera footage, whatever happened to Andrew's home videos of his adventures with the scoobs? I'm pretty sure he got some footage of vampires attacking Buffy in a graveyard, and he may have even got some ubervamp action on film. He has footage of Spike being surly and angry. Wasn't the whole point of his film to share with future generations? I think some of his footage might come in handy about now. Unless the camera was destroyed and I'm just forgetting it.

People have suggested that one of the scoobies should get on TV and have a debate with Harmony. I think this is a good idea, but since we're dealing with Harmony here, the Slayers have a golden opportunity to not only make vampires look evil, but stupid as well. It wouldn't be hard to trick and humiliate Harmony on TV, and let's face it: the public would eat that right up. People love seeing stars humilated. If I might paraphrase from the first Spider-man movie, there's one thing people love seeing more than a hero, and that's to see the hero fall.

Here's how I might like to play things if I were in Buffy's position:

Spoiler:

Buffy: So Harmony, you don't kill people for blood, right?
                Harmony: I certainly do not.
                Buffy: I'll have to give you that one. 2004, wasn't it? When Wolfram and Hart introduced that "zero tollerence" policy for killing humans? That's when you decided not to kill and be a nice vampire?
                Harmony: That's correct.
                Buffy: But you were sired in 1999!
                Harmony: Oh, crap. Um, I guess I didn't kill before 2004 either...
                Buffy: Don't be shy about it Harm! We went to highschool together! I even kinda admire your bravery.
                Harmony: You do?
                Buffy: Yeah, you died helping us fight vampires. You were really brave. It's one of the hardest things I find about being a Slayer, is that you can't save everyone. I'm sorry about that Harmony. Anyway, let's talk about that law firm you worked for. Rumor has it that they sent an entire city to hell. And you were thier receptionist.
                Harmony: Um... that's ridiculous.
                Buffy: Well it's not my place to judge. Let's just say it's your word against millions of others. So Harm, do you like my necklace? Just to show no hard feelings, I want you to have it. No, I insist. The cross will look so pretty on you. Surely your not prejudiced against America's largest religeous group?

Comment

I believe the white hats will have a very hard job showing to the media they're in the right side. Most of them could be placed doing wrong things. Buffy could be accused of murder (Caleb and one of the Knights in Spiral) Faith is fugitive, Willow killed Warren, Xander was responsible for Once More With Feelings, Angel and Spike murdered people even after get their souls, Lorne too. The Scoobies could even be claimed as terrorists as Gen. Voll showed the Sunnydale crater.

People have suggested that one of the scoobies should get on TV and have a debate with Harmony. I think this is a good idea
                  With Harmony yes, but if Twilight take someone more prepered, he could make the things even worst trouing lots of accusations over Buffy.
                  Sorry, I don't speak English.

Comment

Vampire in rug - I like the idea of making Harmony wear a cross. Get the religious right on your side, they'll mobilise a lot of people. Also, Andrew's footage would come in handy now... but I think that got lost in the Sunnydale collapse? I can just imagine him telling Buffy off for not saving that.

Mind you, I'm sure they've got lots more footage from their surveiillance equipment. Perhaps Harmony would complain that it's doctored?

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by jj.bsb View Post
                      I believe the white hats will have a very hard job showing to the media they're in the right side. Most of them could be placed doing wrong things. Buffy could be accused of murder (Caleb and one of the Knights in Spiral) Faith is fugitive, Willow killed Warren, Xander was responsible for Once More With Feelings, Angel and Spike murdered people even after get their souls, Lorne too. The Scoobies could even be claimed as terrorists as Gen. Voll showed the Sunnydale crater.

Caleb and the Knight of the Byzantium were both done in self defence, I think even Twilight himself would have a hard time trying to pass those off as "murders". And even if someone wanted to make that argument, there's really no evidence connecting them to Buffy. I don't think either of those guys will be missed by anyone in the world and thier corpses have long since decomposed at the bottom of the Sunnydale crater.

Faith: yeah, it might be a wise move keeping her out of the spotlight.

Willow: There's really no proof to connect her to Warren and Rack. Unless Warren decides to spill the beans himself, the public isn't going to find out. And I doubt a gross skinnless guy would want to walk outside and be seen by anyone, let alone do any public speaking.

Xander: One again, no solid evidence for the public to connect him to the deaths in OMWF. The corpses were burned up, and are now lying at the bottom of a crater. Any DNA evidence would lead back to Sweet, not Xander.

Lorne is currently a public hero. I imagine his misdeeds will be swept under the rug. Same goes for Spike and Angel.

Comment

Speaking of camera footage, whatever happened to Andrew's home videos of his adventures with the scoobs? I'm pretty sure he got some footage of vampires attacking Buffy in a graveyard, and he may have even got some ubervamp action on film. He has footage of Spike being surly and angry. Wasn't the whole point of his film to share with future generations? I think some of his footage might come in handy about now. Unless the camera was destroyed and I'm just forgetting it.
                        It's more than likely the camera was lost in the Sunnydale crater. Which is a pity, as you say, it could have come in handy right now. Though in saying that I'm not sure having footage of Buffy looking for vampires with a crossbow would really send the right image out right now? We get why she should be patrolling and how there's nothing wrong with it the same way we know why Soledad was justified in attacking Harmony, but to the public a patrol would look like Buffy's a killer of the prowl looking for her next "innocent" vampire victim, and they are simply defending themselves.

Better to catch a vamp in action IMO.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Caleb and the Knight of the Byzantium were both done in self defence, I think even Twilight himself would have a hard time trying to pass those off as "murders". And even if someone wanted to make that argument, there's really no evidence connecting them to Buffy. I don't think either of those guys will be missed by anyone in the world and thier corpses have long since decomposed at the bottom of the Sunnydale crater.
                          Self defence still should have been proved in court. I don’t recall if the Knights taked their men’s bodies in the other case, the police should have a neat axe craved in one with Buffy prints. Caleb’s remains (if he isn’t Twilight) should have in the same crater Voll’s soldiers find out Amy (that “Luxor Casino” place was in Sunnydale city or near?) and the bones fractures could be linked with the Schyte. Buffy should have a nice file in the police (I don’t think wasn’t some net backup) with suspections of murders of Ted, Kendra (and arrest resistance) and the Deputy. Even Faith being condemned by this Buffy still lied to the cops. She probably had let many finger prints hair and other stuffs in many crime scenes. Add that to same burned gymnasium in L.A. and the entire Sunnydale High. It all will give her some hard time to defend herself from a terrorism charge for destroyed her hole hometown, as Gen Voll claimed.

Willow: There's really no proof to connect her to Warren and Rack. Unless Warren decides to spill the beans himself, the public isn't going to find out. And I doubt a gross skinnless guy would want to walk outside and be seen by anyone, let alone do any public speaking.
                          If Rack’s body was found (he stayed in the different location room?) the was Willow’s prints and hair. Warren was last saw running and and android of him was “killed” by her in front of a bus. If the police connect that to some jail invasion to his former house mates cell, maybe (a little difficult but plausible) they could find his trails in the forest with blood of both of them.

Xander: One again, no solid evidence for the public to connect him to the deaths in OMWF. The corpses were burned up, and are now lying at the bottom of a crater. Any DNA evidence would lead back to Sweet, not Xander.
                          Yeah, that will be hard to prove, however he sumoned the red dancer. So it is just someone bring that incident in front of a camera and Xander will have trouble to explain it.

Lorne is currently a public hero. I imagine his misdeeds will be swept under the rug. Same goes for Spike and Angel.
                          Public heroes are free from everything? Including murder? They could be heroes now, but if their tough deeds are bring to the public, maybe the things change.

My point is that even our beloved characters have some black spots that if looked very hard could lead to more problems. Probably Anne is the best option as a spoken person. But still, she could have trouble if those things are bring back.

Originally Posted by Vampire in Rug
                          Speaking of camera footage, whatever happened to Andrew's home videos of his adventures with the scoobs?
                          Didn’t Gigi had some Buffy footage from Sunnydale?

Comment

Originally posted by jj.bsb View Post
                            Self defence still should have been proved in court. I don’t recall if the Knights taked their men’s bodies in the other case, the police should have a neat axe craved in one with Buffy prints.
                            The Knight's claim to be a "secret order" and have managed to be secret for all these years. I'm sure they didn't just leave their bodies lying around on the road for anybody to see them.

Caleb’s remains (if he isn’t Twilight) should have in the same crater Voll’s soldiers find out Amy (that “Luxor Casino” place was in Sunnydale city or near?) and the bones fractures could be linked with the Schyte.
                            It's more than likely that Caleb's remains (if he isn't Twilight) have decomposed now. Probably helped by being flattened and crushed by Sunnydale's buildings as well. That is if his body wasn't one of the ones Amy ate.. Gross huh? No wonder she's so deranged and pissed, Eek!

Buffy should have a nice file in the police (I don’t think wasn’t some net backup) with suspections of murders of Ted, Kendra (and arrest resistance) and the Deputy. Even Faith being condemned by this Buffy still lied to the cops. She probably had let many finger prints hair and other stuffs in many crime scenes. Add that to same burned gymnasium in L.A. and the entire Sunnydale High. It all will give her some hard time to defend herself from a terrorism charge for destroyed her hole hometown, as Gen Voll claimed.
                            Yeah but "suspicion" is just that. I don't think the police are even allowed to give out that information publicly without making an official arrest of Buffy which they never did. Ted's 'body" left the morgue remember, Buffy was found not-guilty of what happened to Kendra and Faith was charged for the murder of the Deputy. Buffy was also let off with the burned down gymnasium, "the fire Marshall said it could have been mice." If people dug all this stuff up on Buffy it's not really a strong argument, a lot of "what ifs" which would pretty much have to end up with, "but she was never charged" or "she was proven innocent" or "there was no sufficient evidence" Ect.

If Rack’s body was found (he stayed in the different location room?) the was Willow’s prints and hair.
                            I doubt anyone found Rack, the police would have never found him. Besides, why would they have Willow's prints and/or hair on file?

Warren was last saw running and and android of him was “killed” by her in front of a bus. If the police connect that to some jail invasion to his former house mates cell, maybe (a little difficult but plausible) they could find his trails in the forest with blood of both of them.
                            Buffy and Xander likely talk the android after Willow teleported out of there, they had a car so they probably just plonked it on the back seat. They were pretty used to cleaning up after messes to avoid the authorities and a suspicious human android is probably one of those cases. And even so, if they find trails of blood in the forest (a forest that doesn't exist anymore, and this happened *years* ago by now) they don't have anything to go on? Where's the body, there isn't one.. unless as someone pointed out, a skinless Warren feels like coming out.

Didn’t Gigi had some Buffy footage from Sunnydale?
                            Yup, Roden supplied it to her and I'm guessing Twilight supplied it to him as Roden was working for Twilight. It'd be cool if they revisited that and Twilight showed Buffy in some compromising footage, perhaps he could edit it to look like Buffy's some ruthless killer of the defenceless undead?

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

It's more than likely that Caleb's remains (if he isn't Twilight) have decomposed now. Probably helped by being flattened and crushed by Sunnydale's buildings as well. That is if his body wasn't one of the ones Amy ate.. Gross huh? No wonder she's so deranged and pissed, Eek!
                              Am I watching much "Bones" and "CSI" where they could find the weapon and way corpse was murdered even years after it and in terrible conditions?

Yeah but "suspicion" is just that. I don't think the police are even allowed to give out that information publicly without making an official arrest of Buffy which they never did. Ted's 'body" left the morgue remember, Buffy was found not-guilty of what happened to Kendra and Faith was charged for the murder of the Deputy. Buffy was also let off with the burned down gymnasium, "the fire Marshall said it could have been mice." If people dug all this stuff up on Buffy it's not really a strong argument, a lot of "what ifs" which would pretty much have to end up with, "but she was never charged" or "she was proven innocent" or "there was no sufficient evidence" Ect.
                              Ok. But isn't the intention to being at public to make her/the slayers image better? If the answers she will have will be "but she was never charged" or "she was proven innocent" or "there was no sufficient evidence" to a lot of accusations her attempt to show a good side to the public won't be too strong.

I doubt anyone found Rack, the police would have never found him. Besides, why would they have Willow's prints and/or hair on file?
                              Cause she invaded o police station and confronted armed cops?

Buffy and Xander likely talk the android after Willow teleported out of there, they had a car so they probably just plonked it on the back seat. They were pretty used to cleaning up after messes to avoid the authorities and a suspicious human android is probably one of those cases. And even so, if they find trails of blood in the forest (a forest that doesn't exist anymore, and this happened *years* ago by now) they don't have anything to go on? Where's the body, there isn't one.. unless as someone pointed out, a skinless Warren feels like coming out.
                              Yeah, but there was people in the bus who saw everything. And in the forest, I'm not saying that they could find something now, but probably the police should have done some investigation in the past.

perhaps he could edit it to look like Buffy's some ruthless killer of the defenceless undead?
                              Yes, I could totally see this becaming an "Anita Blake"/True Blood" ? Vampires and demons are citizens and to kill them you'll need a justice order.
                              Last edited by jj.bsb; 10-02-09, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I'm so glad this thread was started because frankly I've been finding myself getting frustrated with the way that Buffy has been handling the entire situation. If I were her firstly I would cut out this crap about being less than human. While I love the character its time for her to get out of this sugar coated bubble she has wrapped herself in and see things for the way they are. It's being underground and ?less than human' as she put it that has gotten Buffy and her organisation into this situation at first. While I understand the need for things to have been ran like this while the supernatural secret still existed in the verse. Now that vampires and all of the other things that run in the night have become public it's time for her organisation to do so as well.

Otherwise she is simply doing what her enemies want, allowing both herself and the organisation behind her to be seen as this shady organisation that is plotting against everyone underground. Though to be honest Buffy's stance on the entire thing hasn't surprised me very much. We've seen her transformation from as early as ?Buffy VS Dracula' from the girl that we met in ?Welcome to the Hellmouth' a girl who put maintaining her humanity at the same level as her slayer duties to the supernatural obsessed woman we have now who quite frankly in some ways has gotten what its been like to be human. I think the writers have been making the fact that Buffy's total acceptance of the slayer part of her taking over her entire life has come at the cost of her previous ability to know from a human stance right and wrong. Just look at some of the decisions she has made this season from her involvement in thievery to support the slayer organisation, to her anger at Gigi at not killing people but for killing *other slayers*. This is but the latest of a number of idiotic decisions Buffy has made this season.

So how should she put this right? Well as other posters have said the first thing I would have Buffy do is to counter Harmony's media propaganda with some of her own. Have Buffy herself along with some of the other girls present their argument in a popular day time talk show which is known to be watched by loads of people. After all with a story like this I imagine any television station would be more than willing to give them air time. I would have Buffy highlight her own history as a slayer telling people about the amount of times that she has had to save the world at personal expense. Not only that, but she should make sure to reference her history and involvement with Angel and her Spike. Through mentioning this she is highlighting that she is not this psycho discriminating killer that Harmony and her propaganda managers have been making her out to be.

Not only that but to back up everything that she has been saying have some of the people she has met over the years back her up publicly also. Have people such as Anne a brilliant suggestion made by another poster tell people about her own encounters with vampire, that she too was deluded enough to think of them as this big wonderful thing until she actually met one of them. However don't have her be the only human to help them present their argument what about the other Sunnydale High students who fought with Buffy against the mayor during ?Graduation day II'

However more importantly have both Angel and Spike tell the people of their own personal experiences with others of their kind. They are both seen as Heroes because of their role in After the Fall and result anything they say on the matter is going to have a strong impact with the general population. She should totally use their position to their advantage and I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping out the good fight in this way.

Finally one thing I would have her do and I don't think anyone has suggested this yet is at some point speak in a public forum. Arrange meetings which either Buffy herself or the other Scoobies will attend where regular people rather than just celebrities will be able to ask her questions. This will help to make Buffy appear as more of a human to regular people and will be a great way of ensuring that Buffy gives everyone the information they need to see that Vampires aren't the cute cuddly toys that Harmony and her team are making them out to be, but evil blood sucking fiends who could kill them in an instant. She could even ask them how many of them have lost people they loved due to mysterious marks which look like bites and thus bringing the truth of the issue closer to home.

Just some of my thoughts on this issue let me know what you thought
                                Livejournal

Avatar made by Shameless666 of Livejournal

Comment

I don’t know that Buffy's response is entirely stupid. I suspect that supernatural PR isn’t quite the level playing field people seem to be assuming and Buffy is one person who would have access to good evidence to the contrary. After all if vampires and other demons (and Slayers) have been part of this world since the beginning it’s a little suspicious that they’ve never made even the local news bulletins until now and the only information about them is hidden away in ancient texts and the “Journal of everyone thinks I’m insane.” So unless journalists are very different from how they are in our world you’ve got to suspect that there’s something or someone with the will and ability to suppress all those “vamp bites man stories” but that for some reason it’s decided to let the Harmony thing pass. But if it likes the Harmony spin on things it’s unlikely to be so lenient about any Slayer led attempts to set the record straight.

So I think Buffy has two options besides the one of simply accepting the imbalance and lying low before they get spun any worse. One is to try and find out what or who this force that's been stopping the signal getting through to the public is (a la Serenity). Alternatively, I think she could build on the kind of viral campaign that they’re successfully using to recruit new Slayers (a la Dr Horrible).

Comment

I went with kill Harmony for a couple reasons: I feel like her character has REALLY overstayed her welcome. She was charming, funny, etc. etc., but I'm kind of done with her. The reasons for not killing her are almost as ridiculous as the reasons for not killing Spike from seasons 3-7 Buffy. Giving her a soul would just be too much, let's STOP ensouling vampires. Two is plenty.
                                    You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

Killing Harmony would be a big no-no. In my opinion, Buffy has much more reason to allow Harmony to live than Spike in seasons three to seven.

Killing Harmony would make her a martyr just like Buffy said. That would pretty much kill any hope Buffy has of redeeming herself to the public. The public would feel sorry for the cute, blonde, funny vampire who's eternal life has been tragicly cut short. Until the public's perception of Harmony changes, killing her would be just about the worst thing Buffy could do. It truly would make the slayers look like Nazi's. It would also raise all sorts of hairy questions about the freedom of speech. Harmony isn't actually killing anyone at the moment, the only grounds Buffy really has to kill her on is that she's making vampires popular. And to kill someone for having an opinion -even a blatantly incorrect or morally corrupt opinion is not cool at all. The public has every right to worship vampires. It's a stupid mistake of course, but it's a mistake that people have every right to make. It's not Buffy's place to decide what's best for the public to hear on TV. It's her place to stop the misconceptions and spread the truth to those willing to listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Vampmaster View Post
                                        I'm so glad this thread was started because frankly I've been finding myself getting frustrated with the way that Buffy has been handling the entire situation. If I were her firstly I would cut out this crap about being less than human. While I love the character its time for her to get out of this sugar coated bubble she has wrapped herself in and see things for the way they are. It's being underground and ?less than human' as she put it that has gotten Buffy and her organisation into this situation at first. While I understand the need for things to have been ran like this while the supernatural secret still existed in the verse. Now that vampires and all of the other things that run in the night have become public it's time for her organisation to do so as well.
                                        Agreed. The public like transparency, they like something they understand and can see, having Buffy opt to go "under group" makes them appear as if they've got something to hide from the rest of the world. It seems an entirely silly move on Buffy's part as it does nothing but make them appear as morally shifty and dangerous which is exactly what the vampires are saying in the first place. But I think it goes back to this;

Otherwise she is simply doing what her enemies want, allowing both herself and the organisation behind her to be seen as this shady organisation that is plotting against everyone underground. Though to be honest Buffy's stance on the entire thing hasn't surprised me very much. We've seen her transformation from as early as ?Buffy VS Dracula' from the girl that we met in ?Welcome to the Hellmouth' a girl who put maintaining her humanity at the same level as her slayer duties to the supernatural obsessed woman we have now who quite frankly in some ways has gotten what its been like to be human. I think the writers have been making the fact that Buffy's total acceptance of the slayer part of her taking over her entire life has come at the cost of her previous ability to know from a human stance right and wrong. Just look at some of the decisions she has made this season from her involvement in thievery to support the slayer organisation, to her anger at Gigi at not killing people but for killing *other slayers*. This is but the latest of a number of idiotic decisions Buffy has made this season.
                                        You're absolutely right on all counts. Buffy's forgetting what it's like to be human because she's stopped focusing on and is focusing on her slayer half instead. That's why she can't relate to them and that's why she's made a foolish decision now by wanting them to be under ground, because she doesn't get humanity anymore. However, whilst I agree this started way back in 'Buffy VS Dracula' I think it also is due to the fact of her circumstances ever since 'Chosen.' It's a lot like Angel in season 5 at Wolfram and Hart and how Lorne said that everyone can start looking like an ants when you're kind of the castle. Buffy's kind of the same in a way. She's queen of her own castle (or was) hidden away in the moors, surrounded completely by other slayers (except for Xander) and completely engrossed in this world. There's no general human contact with the outside world, no chance to just be normal, and she's now forgotten what that is like.

So how should she put this right? Well as other posters have said the first thing I would have Buffy do is to counter Harmony's media propaganda with some of her own. Have Buffy herself along with some of the other girls present their argument in a popular day time talk show which is known to be watched by loads of people. After all with a story like this I imagine any television station would be more than willing to give them air time. I would have Buffy highlight her own history as a slayer telling people about the amount of times that she has had to save the world at personal expense. Not only that, but she should make sure to reference her history and involvement with Angel and her Spike. Through mentioning this she is highlighting that she is not this psycho discriminating killer that Harmony and her propaganda managers have been making her out to be.
                                        Agreed. Or she could even just go out in public. Have all the slayers around the world go out to dinner or a club, or something really normal like a movie. Make them appear as what they actually are, human girls.

However more importantly have both Angel and Spike tell the people of their own personal experiences with others of their kind. They are both seen as Heroes because of their role in After the Fall and result anything they say on the matter is going to have a strong impact with the general population. She should totally use their position to their advantage and I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping out the good fight in this way.
                                        Agreed, and I actually think it's possible they could some of LA on their side. After all there was nasty vamps in Hell A just like there were Angel and Spike, have people talk about their experiences with the not so pleasant variety of vamp.

Finally one thing I would have her do and I don't think anyone has suggested this yet is at some point speak in a public forum. Arrange meetings which either Buffy herself or the other Scoobies will attend where regular people rather than just celebrities will be able to ask her questions. This will help to make Buffy appear as more of a human to regular people and will be a great way of ensuring that Buffy gives everyone the information they need to see that Vampires aren't the cute cuddly toys that Harmony and her team are making them out to be, but evil blood sucking fiends who could kill them in an instant. She could even ask them how many of them have lost people they loved due to mysterious marks which look like bites and thus bringing the truth of the issue closer to home.
                                        Speaking in public forums is a great idea. I wouldn't mind an open debate between Buffy and Harmony on live television, a lot of people would tune into that. Or you know what, have Buffy go on Oprah! If she make Oprah get on her side than from what I've gathered, America will soon follow

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Working...
                                        X