Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.25 Living Doll Covers and Solicitation

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #25

Written by Doug Petrie, penciled by Georges Jeanty, inked by Andy Owens, colored by Michelle Madsen, covers by Jeanty and Jo Chen.

Doug Petrie, formerly a writer and director on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series, joins Buffy Season Eight with "Living Doll." The spell little Dawnie got whacked with by the Thricewise demon she angered just keeps . . . evolving. First, she's a giant; then, she's a centaur; now, she's a . . . what?! Buffy, ever busy saving the world, will finally have to take action regarding her little sis when Dawn's mysterious disappearance makes it a priority. At least, she better be in some sort of danger, or Buffy's going to kick her butt for wasting precious time acting like an attention-seeking teen -- which is what Dawn is, after all.

40 pages, $2.99, in stores on May 6.

Spoiler:

And I can't see how anyone feels that Buffy hasn't been neglecting Dawn's state. Look at doll!Dawn in Jeanty's variant - her clothes are ratty and worn like a forgotten toy. Symbolic much. And what the heck is that in Chen's cover? Is that Kenny?

Buffy's going to kick her butt for wasting precious time acting like an attention-seeking teen -- which is what Dawn is, after all.
    Or how about her sister who's in trouble? *sigh* Glad this is finally going to be dealt with here.
    Last edited by Emmie; 05-02-09, 09:17 PM.
    sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

I'm guessing that must be Kenny in the cover... ick. Just looking at that cover is making me a Xander/Dawn 'shipper. Like, an enthusiastic one. That is nasty.

It's odd that Xander isn't even mentioned in the blurb, when he's one of the characters that is supposed to be the focus of this issue.
    Last edited by KingofCretins; 05-02-09, 09:18 PM.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Besides the fact that Kenny is barf-worthy, it is a beautiful cover!
      I have loved you. - Ser Jorah Mormont

Comment

Well, when Joss said he was getting weirder when he was older he wasn't kidding. I predict that Illyria in her original form will be Xander's hookup.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmie View Post
          And I can't see how anyone feels that Buffy hasn't been neglecting Dawn's state. Look at doll!Dawn in Jeanty's variant - her clothes are ratty and worn like a forgotten toy. Symbolic much. And what the heck is that in Chen's cover? Is that Kenny?
          I thought Buffy ignoring Dawn was a big theme in S8. It's obvious that only Xander and Willow are working on helping Dawn while Buffy is too busy with the big picture.

In #21 we see Buffy talking on the phone dealing with the new crisis while in the background Xander and Willow are trying to find a spell to get Dawn back to normal. Spell backfired, Xander, Willow and Dawn are scared and startled. Buffy still didn't notice.
          Made by Trickyboxes
          Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
            I thought Buffy ignoring Dawn was a big theme in S8. It's obvious that only Xander and Willow are working on helping Dawn while Buffy is too busy with the big picture.

In #21 we see Buffy talking on the phone dealing with the new crisis while in the background Xander and Willow are trying to find a spell to get Dawn back to normal. Spell backfired, Xander, Willow and Dawn are scared and startled. Buffy still didn't notice.
            I was more remarking at the older discussion over this topic where the opposing stance was that Buffy was clearly doing nothing wrong in regards to Dawn. I'm glad Buffy is finally being forced to deal with helping Dawn and I've felt that Dawn's condition has been an untended smoking gun ever since Issue #1.
            sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

Kenny and Illyria should get together and compare tentacled appendage sizes.

Comment

Why do so many demons look like cute and silly creatures is season 8? I'm not sure what that thing is in the first cover, but it looks idiotic. Beautiful cover, but that thing is just silly. Also Dawn looks very, very pretty.

And Dawn wears the same clothes as Drusilla's dolls. Creepy, but I'm happy that we finally deal with Dawn and how badly she is treated at times.

Comment

The Chen cover makes Dawn look gorgeous but I had no clue what on earth it what she was dancing with until you guys made me realised it probably is Kenny, in his true form at least.

I loved the snarky tone of the solicitation for this issue, particularly "At least, she better be in some sort of danger, or Buffy's going to kick her butt for wasting precious time acting like an attention-seeking teen -- which is what Dawn is, after all." After *that* it's pretty obvious Buffy ignoring Dawn's needs was a very intentional plot point of the story and that Buffy isn't meant to be viewed in a favourable light for how she's put the mission before her sister. I love that, it's a great touch and once again just keeps strengthening Buffy's arc and the big themes of the season, she's lost the mission bro.

Also, are we thinking this is going to be the end of the Dawn/Thricewise/Kenny/Transformation sub plot? Or is it just going to revolve around her third and final transformation? If everyone is correct in guessing that’s Kenny Dawn’s dancing with, are we thinking he appears in this issue?

Jeanty's variant was also quite fun, I love how it reverses the roles of Buffy and Dawn from Chen's Issue #4 cover of 'The Long Way Home' with Buffy now holding Dawn in the palm of her hand.
                  Last edited by vampmogs; 05-02-09, 10:50 PM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

My first thought when looking at the Chen cover, "OMG Beauty and the Booger?" My 2nd thought, "Is that Kenny?" My 3rd thought, "Oh please don't let that be Xander turned into something... weird." I'm already icky on the idea of D/X but that goes to a whole other level.

Comment

I think this is it for the transforming Dawn arc, actually -- just a hunch. The covers tip it for me. On the Jeanty cover, yes, she's a doll. On the Chen cover, she's a normal woman (and almost painfully beautifully drawn). Either one of these is non-literal in any sense, or she's going to be back to normal. If one of them is figurative, I think it's Jeanty's. For one thing, it's based on a figurative cover, for another, it's too thematic -- Dawn has always been a "doll" to Buffy, an object to care for and protect, more than a sister.

The blurb is interesting... the blurbs are there to gear our expectations, and this one raises an interesting question -- Dawn is missing, but is she actually in trouble? She *better* be, it says, because Dawn will be mad. What if she's not in trouble? I have a feeling that she and Xander (since the issue revolves around them) go off the reservation to find Kenny or somehow solve Dawn's problem. Maybe this results in her being a doll temporarily, but still resolved by the end of the issue.

Now, another theory -- it's a common device in fanfic about Xander/Dawn, of which there is a ton, that they get together in secret or are somehow discovered by Buffy, to her great unhappiness. Could that be the "trouble" that Dawn is in when Buffy finds her?
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

My first theory is that Dawn goes "missing" because as a doll, she's too small to be noticed.

My other theory is that somehow Kenny spirits her away to his home dimension (leaving a doll behind as a changeling?) to be with him forever. All very Celtic myth-y, and let's hope Dawn doesn't eat or drink anything while she's there, or when she gets back to Earth it'll be Fray's time-period.

Comment

I think the speculation that we're being set up for a Xander/Dawn relationship is going to be proven to be unfounded. Frankly, I'm hoping that's what happens.

It's odd that Xander isn't even mentioned in the blurb, when he's one of the characters that is supposed to be the focus of this issue.
                          Well, remember that Scott Allie originally said on the DH Buffy Zone that the arc following Faith's would be "Xander-centric," and yet he ended playing third banana to Buffy/Satsu and Dracula.

I suspect one of the following will happen:

1) Something will happen with Xander, separate from the Buffy/Dawn/Thricewise business, that is somehow linked to the Twilight plot.

2) Whatever focus on Xander was supposed to happen in this issue has been postponed for a later story.

3) In keeping with true Jossian fashion, whatever "drama" was supposed to be coming Xander's way has been dropped for this season, or will turn out to be some background event that never reaches the level of an actual plot.

I'm honestly expecting #3, myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippcomet View Post
                            I think the speculation that we're being set up for a Xander/Dawn relationship is going to be proven to be unfounded. Frankly, I'm hoping that's what happens.

Well, remember that Scott Allie originally said on the DH Buffy Zone that the arc following Faith's would be "Xander-centric," and yet he ended playing third banana to Buffy/Satsu and Dracula.

I suspect one of the following will happen:

1) Something will happen with Xander, separate from the Buffy/Dawn/Thricewise business, that is somehow linked to the Twilight plot.

2) Whatever focus on Xander was supposed to happen in this issue has been postponed for a later story.

3) In keeping with true Jossian fashion, whatever "drama" was supposed to be coming Xander's way has been dropped for this season, or will turn out to be some background event that never reaches the level of an actual plot.

I'm honestly expecting #3, myself.

I'm not opposed to Xander/Dawn, so that's not an issue for me, although I'd prefer Buffy/Xander obviously. I'd take Xander/Faith, too. Guy needs another meaningful relationship.

You might be right about any of these. On one hand, #1 is better than #3, but is it? Because #1 would mean almost certainly that Xander is in cahoots with or actually is Twilight (both of which are casuistry and terribly continuity editing and also sort of obvious ways to go and stupid), or it means he's about to be victimized by Twilight very seriously. Would you rather have him evil, badly hurt or worse, or just marginalized?

I'm not as worried about him or any of the Scoobies going bad, though -- Allie said that he expected the Core Four to all be together again before the season is done. #3, though, I doubt that, too, not when Allie is willing to say Xander probably has the second best arc in Season 8.
                            Last edited by KingofCretins; 06-02-09, 04:13 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Banner by LRae12

Comment

Hubba hubba! It's Kenny! LMAO.

It looks like Artemis of Ephesus' tier of egg breasts, ice plant, a vagina (or rather the Pit of Tarkoon) and some squid arms. He also looks vaguely like Illyria's dwarfed cousin.

Dawn looks beautiful, though! I want her tavern wench dress.

"Thricewise" seems to have a few meanings: "thrice wise" as in "three times wise"--Dawn gets three forms that will make her wiser in the end and the fact that Kenny's true appearance has three bulbous, egg breast-shaped eyes. He's into the number three.
                              Last edited by NileQT87; 06-02-09, 05:22 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                              "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Hello everyone. First time poster but long time lurker. The cover is beautiful and disturbing at the same time. Dawn doesn't seem to be resisting whatever this thing is...I'm assuming it's Kenny...in fact she seems to be pretty caught up in the moment, so I'm wondering...could she be in love with Kenny? It reminds me of Buffy kissing and stroking Angel's vampire face in WML ...shown beautifully in NileQT87's avatar. Maybe Dawn cares about Kenny so much that she doesn't notice when he changes form.

Comment

I think that Kenny will pull the same trick as the puppetmaster in Heroes. He will take Dawn's free will away and make her his. So she will never leave him or even think about others.

But still, the real form of Kenny still looks too silly to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bonnaleah View Post
                                    Hello everyone. First time poster but long time lurker. The cover is beautiful and disturbing at the same time. Dawn doesn't seem to be resisting whatever this thing is...I'm assuming it's Kenny...in fact she seems to be pretty caught up in the moment, so I'm wondering...could she be in love with Kenny? It reminds me of Buffy kissing and stroking Angel's vampire face in WML ...shown beautifully in NileQT87's avatar. Maybe Dawn cares about Kenny so much that she doesn't notice when he changes form.
                                    I don't believe Dawn had ever seen Kenny in his true form or had any idea he was a Thricewise. Or if she did, she tried to repress it. In 'The Long Way Home' Buffy and Dawn are having an argument that everyone knew, including Giles who "only ever spoke to him on the phone" but Dawn was apparently clueless.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Not what I expected from Chen's cover, but I'm undecided about it, I think I prefer Jeanty's this time, mainly because it's a play on Chen's #4 cover, but also because there is more symbolism, in my opinion.

Is there any reason why Dawn's doll necklace looks kind of like that thing Kumiko, Raidon and Toru were using to turn Slayers back? Is there some kind of symbolism to the colour and shape, in a way it also looks kind of like that egg thing in Anywhere But Here.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                                        The blurb is interesting... the blurbs are there to gear our expectations, and this one raises an interesting question -- Dawn is missing, but is she actually in trouble? She *better* be, it says, because Dawn will be mad.
                                        The blurb says, "at least, she better be in some sort of danger, or Buffy's going to kick her butt for wasting precious time"

The way I interpreted it was that it would be *Buffy* who's mad if Dawn isn't in trouble, not Dawn. Buffy being too swept up in the "bigger picture" finds Dawn's problems not high on her list of priorities and the solicitation is implying that if Dawn isn't really in trouble, she's wasted Buffy's time for more "important" things- like saving the world and protecting her slayers. From what I've gathered from the solicitation it's been hinted at that Buffy will find Dawn's plight somewhat irritating in this issue and will probably have to be pushed into helping her out when she really wants to be focusing on other things, which fits with her neglect of Dawn all season and how she cares more about the bigger picture that the individuals involved- unless of course you're a slayer, or Xander and Willow.

What's actually interesting though is that whilst this fits with Buffy's arc this season, it's really a pretty great commentary on the Buffy/Dawn relationship in general. Not so much for season five but pretty much anything after that, season seven being a big example of this. Season eight isn't the first season where Buffy's took other matters as preference over Dawn, it's good that we're finally seeing that come to a head. It makes me think of that awful 'Lies My Parents Told Me' where Spike clocks Dawn over the head with a freakin bed and Buffy runs to his bloody side rather than hers, leaving Willow to tend to her poor sister.. Bleh! (though it did have the nice very brief moment of Buffy stroking a sleeping Dawn tenderly at the end of that ep)
                                        Last edited by vampmogs; 06-02-09, 12:58 PM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Working...
                                        X