Back in the Good ol' Days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the Good ol' Days...

Hello everybody! I was looking over some of my Buffy comics non-Season Eight like The Origin, Viva las Buffy, Slayer Interrupted, and A Stake to the Heart. Basically Buffy's life pre-sunnydale, those comics.

Although the Origin was based mostly off the original movie, and the following Comics were never officially canon, I always considered them to be real in the my Buffyverse so that I'd know what happened inbetween the gap.

My question to everyone is how they viewed the comics, and if they consider them canon in their minds. They are based loosely on the information we were given in the shows like Buffy's time in the asylum for instance, so are we to assume they have more truth to them than some other comics after's Buffy arrival in Sunnydale? We will never know officially what Buffy's life was like pre-Sunnydale, but if Joss had ever mentioned anything about them I would love to know! Thanks for your help! I'd love to hear your ideas!

Well, The Origin is basically canonical...

Joss Whedon: The Origin comic, though I have issues with it, CAN pretty much be accepted as canonical. They did a cool job of combining the movie script (the SCRIPT) with the series, that was nice, and using the series Merrick ...

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Originally posted by TheChosen View Post
      Although the Origin was based mostly off the original movie, and the following Comics were never officially canon, I always considered them to be real in the my Buffyverse so that I'd know what happened inbetween the gap.

My question to everyone is how they viewed the comics, and if they consider them canon in their minds.
      "The Origin" is canon, as are Fray, Tales of the Slayers and Tales of the Vampires. Apart from S8 and Angel: After the Fall, no other comics are. But they're still great reads (overall) and now helpfully collected in the Omnibi, which are ~$16 each on Amazon.
      Cordially,
      Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
      Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I personally would love if Joss were to declare "Viva Las Buffy" canon, because it was very fun, and it really explained why Pike wasn't around, why they weren't in touch.

I'd love to know what issues Joss does have with "Origin" -- I wonder if it's
        Spoiler:
        Merrick's death and Buffy basically being "saved" by him and Pike.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Yeah, I agree with TheChosen in that as far as I'm concerned all the Buffy "Year One" stories happened. "The Origin", "Viva Las Buffy", "Slayer Interupted", "Hoopy the Bear", "Angel's we Have seen on High", "A Stake to the Heart" etc. They are all good stories that fill in missing information and they don't hurt the canon too much. So until Joss chooses to explore that territory with conflicting information (and let's face it, that's not gonna happen), as far as I'm concerned those stories happened in MY Buffyverse.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the year 1 stories (I mentally have to redraw The Origin, though. The gray-haired fugly guy masquerading as dear, cute Luke Perry's Pike is a disgrace). The art is just straight-up awful. It makes the movie look serious. So, on that front, the comic didn't exactly succeed in making the story any less campy; it's actually worse.

I prefer to take the movie, The Origin and everything hinted at in the series and mentally combine them. For me, the faces of the Hemery crew are the movie faces with the exception of Buffy and Merrick. Unfortunately, Richard Riehle just didn't have enough screen time in BtVS to completely erase Donald Sutherland's performance for me. I also have to mentally insert the Angel flashback scenes and Buffy's X-Acto knife story. The Origin actually got Richard Riehle's appearance completely wrong, too (he wasn't balding or with sideburns).

As far as the rest of the comics in the year one run... They're all better than The Origin. Better yet, they use Luke Perry's appearance, contain Angel and Whistler (yay) and have infinitesimally better art.

I really wish they'd redo The Origin with a different artist and try to put in more of the good scenes in the movie that were chopped out for lack of page space in the comic. It actually lost more than it gained, IMO.

And Joss' original script didn't have ANY of the changes made in the BtVS T.V. series (and don't let him make you think different!). The burning down the school, loss of the birthmark and cramps, changing it from a winter prom to a spring prom, changing the year of high school, being called outside of the school rather than in the gym, killing Grueller (it's confirmed in the script that he plays left tackle) with an X-Acto knife, going to Vegas, the death of Zeph the mechanic (comic only), etc... were not in his script.

Arriving at a castle door (the movie ends with a vague riding off into the sunrise), football rather than basketball, an additional flashback and Merrick's death were the big changes.

It seems like Joss made all that fuss over Merrick killing himself rather than being staked by Lothos. Frankly, Lothos killing Merrick actually made Lothos twice the character and Merrick killing himself made him half the character (I accept it has changed in canon, but I prefer the movie's version way more).

The Origin comic actually messes up with fixing Grueller's death according to The Harvest and the script which identifies Grueller as the left tackle. And we still have a mention of the darn senior prom in the comic rather than a freshman dance. Who were the editors?! The only thing they managed to do was explain away the Tyler/Jeffery thing by making them two different people.

As far as the vampire rules... I'll take slightly dorky, floaty, photographless vampires that don't go poof over stupid-looking green vampires with red eyes seen in The Origin. That is probably the ultimate failure of that comic. It didn't even try to fix the vampires to the ones we see the T.V. series. It actually made them worse.

In fact, I would say if you want canon, go with Joss' actual movie script if you don't like the movie or The Origin:

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/b...re_slayer.html
            Last edited by NileQT87; 31-01-09, 05:56 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
            "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

I agree the Original made it so much worse. It's unbelievable some of the stuff they did. From the vampires to everything else, I would pay to have it redone properly. When I restart the series, I always watch the movie and read the Year One comics, but when it comes to the Origin, I use the movie to tell me what happened, and just imagine the Gym is burnt down. Then everything is in place for Viva Las Buffy, Dawn and Hoopy the Bear (WHICH IS MY FAVOURITE COMIC DESPITE IT'S CHILDISH THEME: i find it hilarous ) Slayer Interrupted, and A Stake to the Heart.

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
              As far as the rest of the comics in the year one run... They're all better than The Origin. Better yet, they use Luke Perry's appearance, contain Angel and Whistler (yay) and have infinitesimally better art.
              Agree 100% there. Luke Perry looked like some old hobo off the street with some serious graying issues. But every other comic I love the artwork. It's amazing!

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
              ... were not in his script. Arriving at a castle door (which suddenly turns into Vegas in The Origin--Vegas isn't mentioned in the script), an additional flashback and Merrick's death (the movie ends with a vague riding off into the sunrise) were the big changes.
              Okay, so was that supposed to be Vegas in the Origin when they arrive at the castle, cuz it just seems kinda random. And then in the comic Xander mentions Prostitution is legal in Nevada, but she hasn't told them Viva Las Buffy yet. So is that supposed to be Vegas.

For the most part, so many changes were made I just get confused!

Comment

Working...
              X