Buffy 8.22 "Swell" Spoiler Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy 8.22 "Swell" Spoiler Discussion Thread

"Written by Steven S. DeKnight, penciled by Georges Jeanty, inked by Andy Owens, colored by Michelle Madsen, covers by Jo Chen and Jeanty.

Vampires are the hottest thing around -- forget hipsters; being a bloodsucking fiend is where's it's at! Slayers must take the good fight underground if they're to avoid any bad press from the general public.

When Kennedy is sent to Japan to evaluate Satsu's efforts as team leader, they are taken by surprise by some fierce furry creatures who want to do nothing more than destroy Buffy (surprise!), while Twilight remains the captain of the anti-Slayer ship. Steven S. DeKnight (Angel, Smallville, Dollhouse) teams with series artist Georges Jeanty in "Swell."

40 pages, $2.99, in stores on Feb. 4."

Previews are out for this issue!

Spoiler:

Last edited by Emmie; 20-01-09, 03:00 AM.
    sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

That is hysterically good fun so far. Man Kennedy has really turned into one of my... er, favorite... characters? This season? Hard formulate words sentence to make.

I get the feeling Kennedy has
    Spoiler:
    been down that road of hooking up with a tourist and getting burned before. It's a nice contrast to Kennedy and Willow how they both approach Satsu, and it's kinda why they work together. Kennedy is all about the tough love.

Loving Satsu's outfit, too She's hot, what can I say. I like Xander's taste in 5-some fantasies.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Comment

I know! Isn't it hysterical? I'm loving the Kennedy/Satsu interaction. DeKnight is writing some quality dialogue here and I love how they so nonchalantly dropkick that demon. Hee!

And yeah, Satsu really is looking hot here. Especially in the 'putting on lip gloss panel'. I'm loving Kennedy and her tough love. She really has become a fantastic character in the comics. I'm pro-Kennedy. Yes sir!

Plus, I love how raunchy and suggestive the dialogue is so far.
      sigpic

Comment

Love it so far. The opening panel of Kennedy, her gun, and her parachute is great1

I've been a fan of Kennedy's since watching Season 7, so I love how popular she's becoming. I used to have to steel myself for Kennedy bashing in any Season 7 or Post-Chosen fanfic I read.

I like that Kennedy and Satsu already know each other, and pretty well it seems. They make good friends.

I cannot wait to find out what's in the bag.

Comment

Yowza, too bad Satsu plays for the other team....

Seriously though, love the artwork. And the interaction between the two is great, and I agree with the popular sentiment that Kennedy is so much more likeable in season 8. I'm a fan now and I couldn't stand her in season 7. And while it is definitely just natural and realistic progression that Satsu is being portrayed as having difficulties letting her two nights together with Buffy go, I still can't help but wonder if this is going to play further into the story. This issue will convince me either way though. If by the end of the issue Kennedy's words hit home and she comes to a sorrowful acceptance of things, I'll consider the Satsu-in-love angle done. If things are left unresolved, I'll still like to toy with a Satsu allegiance turn fueld by jealousy/obsession. Even moreso if Xander's hookup ends up being Buffy!
          Sacred Knight
          Hellmouth Tourist
          Last edited by Sacred Knight; 20-01-09, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Awesome! That was just a fantastic read, I'm already digging it more than 'Harmonic Divergence' I gotta say. It just flowed amazingly well, the dialogue was zesty and fun and meaty, I love the further exploration of how Satsu's reflecting on the Buffy/Satsu fling.

And man did I miss Jeanty, I think it's some of his best drawings ever, I love his style! I know he illustrated 'Harmonic Divergence' but I think he was just getting his groove back on, it seems to be well and truly back!

And yeah, I gotta give Kennedy some praise. Man is she better written this season than she was in season seven. I just think it shows how terrible the writing was that season when they can make a character come across as so awful compared to now. Though did anyone else think it was kind of ironic that Kennedy said "Don't be a brat slinky!" and "I don't like amateurs crowding me" cause it's pretty much what I loathed about her character in season seven.. though she did say "that's my profession" so at least she's aware of the fact! It's a little self-deprecating which is fun.

And wow, Satsu, a little bitter me thinks? She didn't like being assessed which adds a new interesting light on her character that's for sure, and she seems rather pissed that Buffy wouldn't come herself which inevitably stirs up more feelings about the time they had together. I also loved Kennedy trying to help her out in the relationship department. But the comment that Satsu's report on the "Korean incident" was vauge could mean two things;

Either;

a) Satsu's began to resent Buffy upon further reflection and is being intentionally "bratty" to piss her off which leads to intentionally vauge reports

or

b) Perhaps Satsu was the man on the inside (unless that's now been confirmed as Riley?) and it's vauge because it was Twilighty.. which could work, it'd be interesting to see if Satsu seduced Buffy, got a job out of it and this worked to Twilight's advantage...

A wicked preview, man I can’t wait for this issue!
            vampmogs
            Slayer Supporter
            Last edited by vampmogs; 20-01-09, 07:27 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Still do not like Kennedy. Oh well - someone has to not like her - I like Spike's blue shirt too.

I did like the way Kennedy called Satsu out on her Brattiness. What is she twelve? She really needs to STAY OUT OF CLAIRES!! Or just stay out of the Mall!

http://www.claires.com/

Jeanty is great in these panels. He's got Kennedy down to a tee! Maybe we should keep Georges out of Claires!! LOL!!

And I would like to know what's in that bag too - why does Satsu seem to be surprised by it when she's been hauling it around!?!
              -TP<3
              "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
              - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

She hasn't been carrying the bag around, that slug demon was. You can first see it clasped in its severed hand in the second panel of the first page.

Comment

I like Kennedy from way back. And, so far, I like Satsu. I strongly suspected they'd butt heads one way or another (we've seen previously that she may be polite and respectful in public, but Satsu isn't exactly "shy and retiring" otherwise.) Despite Kennedy and Willow's long-term absence from Slayer Central, Satsu recognizes Kennedy on sight - not their first meeting, I gather. Maybe Kennedy helped train the Alpha Team?
                  "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

This looks like it's going to be great. Satsu's very pissy, mogs, I agree - quite natural, but I sort of want her to be graceful in rejection. Cos I like characters who are like that - whats her name in four weddings in a funeral, who's in unrequited love with Hugh Grant's character and is very classy about it.

But, she's a teenager, so it's a bit much to expect. I think this team up could be great fun. The comics have definitely changed my mind on Kennedy, as she was never funny enough in the show (or not often, though she had some great llines), but now she's sassy and witty. Love it.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Satsu certainly has grown pretty blunt and, yes, bratty on the subject of Buffy -- reviewing her ass herself and all that. Good pickup, that she and Kennedy have met. That wasn't an "I recognize who you are" type of reaction, they definitely met at some point. I don't think Kennedy trained them unless she was basically their DI -- Alpha Team are Buffy's personal proteges.

Am I the only one that thinks one or both of these characters might be killed off in this issue?
                      KingofCretins
                      What?
                      Last edited by KingofCretins; 20-01-09, 02:19 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                        Satsu certainly has grown pretty blunt and, yes, bratty on the subject of Buffy -- reviewing her ass herself and all that. Good pickup, that she and Kennedy have met. That wasn't an "I recognize who you are" type of reaction, they definitely met at some point. I don't think Kennedy trained them unless she was basically their DI -- Alpha Team are Buffy's personal proteges.

Am I the only one that thinks one or both of these characters might be killed off in this issue?
                        It hadn't occurred to me til now. Thanks for those nightmares :P

I imagine there must have been the odd bit of general slayer meet and greet for at least some of the slayers at some point? Especially if Satsu was picked up (poor choice of words) by the scoobies earlier on than some?

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I've been very curious as to how they went about finding and organizing the Slayers since "Chosen". That's part of why I wrote "Franchises", or at least how it avoided being PWP The gang had a very limited number of people with which to find and organize and recruit and train Slayers... only fourteen that we know of for sure, and we've only seen eleven of them so far in Season 8.
                          sigpic
                          Banner by LRae12

Comment

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant - I would think that, early on, Buffy took charge of training pretty much all of the newly gathered Slayers until a) there were too many for her to train personally, and b) she made sure enough of the senior Slayers were ready to have their own teams handed over - kind of like the Grand Master who lets lower belt ranks help with the beginners until those advanced students are ready to start their own branch of the school.

I hope not, but it's possible. Something else that struck me: Kennedy's advice sounds an awful lot like an "intervention between friends". Even though they've obviously met, would Kennedy know Satsu well enough to be that concerned for her? Or did Willow maybe pick up on something in the vagueness of Satsu's Korean report (considering how conscientious Satsu appeared before, that sounds odd) and suggest it would be a good idea for Kennedy to step in?
                            "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

That constant fear only exists for me when reading After the Fall. Which is kinda good because if a character dies in Season 8, I won't be expecting it.

Originally posted by Rowan Hawthorn View Post
                              Yeah, that's kinda what I meant - I would think that, early on, Buffy took charge of training pretty much all of the newly gathered Slayers until a) there were too many for her to train personally, and b) she made sure enough of the senior Slayers were ready to have their own teams handed over - kind of like the Grand Master who lets lower belt ranks help with the beginners until those advanced students are ready to start their own branch of the school.
                              I'm really loving the imagery of Buffy training all the girls. But it raises the question - where was Faith? Besides Buffy, she's the most experienced at slaying. It's perhaps a sad testament that either Faith wasn't trusted enough to train them (which doesn't jive with Chosen) or Faith rejected that role (which kinda jives with her attitude in NFFY towards Woods' squad). Or could be both - she wasn't trusted enough to train them so that's why she was mocking Woods' noobie squad in NFFY.

Either way, it doesn't seem like a wise management decision to bench one of your most talented slayers when there's 500 new slayers to train. Kennedy has her own squad and Faith doesn't? I guess the writers wanted Faith to keep her oh-so-cool lone wolf status. She's a rebel baby. Oh yeah.
                              sigpic

Comment

I still haven't seen anything that demands Kennedy commands a squad. I read her involvement in "Time of Your Life" as being at the head of a special team specifically for that assignment. The only other times we've seen her were looking like a "kept woman" for Willow. And now we see her on her own. I don't buy that a squad leader is likely to just go here and there so often. If so, being the Tokyo squad leader wouldn't provide Satsu much distance at all. I think Kennedy has some sort of specialized role, possibly doing exactly what she's doing here -- evaluations on the teams and special assignments.

I actually *wasn't* imagining Buffy as training the Slayers in large groups -- we see her training Xander's squad, because she lives there, but I actually saw Kennedy as the one probably doing early training for large numbers. A DI. That would make sense since she already had that job.

I think that, where things were in "Chosen" and how impressed Buffy was with Faith's work, that she'd have been trusted to train Slayers... I just seriously doubt she wanted to. She *hated* that job.
                                sigpic
                                Banner by LRae12

Comment

I love this preview. It seems like Kennedy has really found herself and is secure in the role she has. They've both obviously met before, but it may have only been on maybe a visit of Kennedy's to Scotland or something, or in the early days when Kennedy continued her Season 7 role of helping to train the newer girls.

I said when the cover for this was released that i really hope that this doesn't turn into a two lesbians together storyline thats all about some kind of cheap jokes and titilation. In the first few pages the lesbian thing has already been mentioned I hope thats the end of it, and we just get a good story of the girls kicking demonic ass. However, I do think it was probably realistic that Satsu would mention the other known lesbian slayers coming to see her, i just hope it doesn't turn into something ongoing through the issue.

Comment

I think that, where things were in "Chosen" and how impressed Buffy was with Faith's work, that she'd have been trusted to train Slayers... I just seriously doubt she wanted to. She *hated* that job.
                                    Yeah, I can see Faith turning it down. I think she finds the noob slayers a bit annoying and doesn't want the responsibility. Could Buffy be upset with Faith pre-NFFY because she offered Faith a position in the Slayer Org. and Faith turned her down? It's understandable why Faith would not want to be involved if she doesn't like the gig. But for Buffy to look to the only other seasoned slayer and say, 'Let's help these girls' - that's a huge responsibility. I have to imagine that Buffy would ask Faith considering Andrew (of all people) has his own squad and he has next to no tactical experience.

Considering how I view Buffy and Co. as being spread too thin with this great responsibility to train and lead the slayers, I can imagine how it would perhaps feel like a slap in the face for Faith to say, 'Thanks, but no thanks' when they really needed her involved. Granted, Faith was a bit lost and finally found her own mission in NFFY to help girls who were flirting with a darker path. But she's still responsible for creating the Slayer army - she was in the room when it was first discussed and decided on. Faith seems like the only one who's not involved in Buffy's organization - and maybe that's the reason why. It's Buffy's organization and Faith doesn't want to play with her in charge. Faith wants to find her own path.
                                    Last edited by Emmie; 20-01-09, 05:26 PM.
                                    sigpic

Comment

I doubt that Kennedy is going to be killed off. At least I hope not. Before that happens we need her to find out about Willow's encounters with Saga Vasuki. I think it's pretty obvious that Willow has been hiding that from her. Also I'd like to find out about Kennedy's "magical death" that happened between seasons 7 and 8.

In Scott Allie's most recent Q and A, I believe he mentioned that Buffy herself would be absent from one of the upcoming issues. Was it this issue?

Comment

It will probably be 8.24 "Safe". She's on the variant for 8.22, she's in the story for 8.23, and I think Allie mentioned she's in 8.25. So it's either 8.24, the Faith and Giles issue, or it's later on.

Kennedy does need to find out, but I doubt anything would lead to these two characters hooking up. This is actually the second time I've gotten the impression Kennedy might want a crack at Buffy. I don't see Willow and Oz getting back together because of the ensuing torches and pitchforks. Before the Riley reveal, I thought Buffy and Oz might get together. Still hoping for Buffy/Xander
                                        sigpic
                                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                                        X