Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retroactive Effects

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Retroactive Effects

    Does Season 8 affect the way you view previous Buffy and Angel seasons, and if so, are those effects positive or negative?

    In my case...


    Positive Effects:

    - I now find Kennedy much more likable when I rewatch Season 7, because of the vulnerability and endearing snark she's displayed in Season 8. I even find Willow/Kennedy hot in certain scenes, like the montage in Touched.

    - The Girl in Question is a hell of a lot funnier and a hell of a lot less enraging, knowing that our Buffy wasn't actually partying in Rome and dating the Immortal.

    - Xander/Dawn is looking 'shippable to me as early as Season 7, because of all the cuteness and flirting in Season 8.

    - I no longer have to wrack my brain over the mixed bag that is the empowerment spell in Chosen, because Season 8 is doing it for me, better than Damage did in Season 5 of Angel.

    - I can stomach The Killer in Me the slightest bit more than I used to, because of the retcon regarding Amy's character.


    Negative Effects:

    - Buffy's smile in Chosen, not quite as hopeful and optimistic as it used to be.

    - I occasionally roll my eyes at Buffy's indignation over Parker and her breakup speech in As You Were, since she's gonna use Satsu just the same a couple of years later, this time without the excuse of a depression.

    - I have to shove The Long Way Home out of my mind when rewatching Villains, 'cause it just makes next to no sense.

    - I like Willow less.

    - I'm hurt and annoyed about Anya's death and Xander's subdued reaction in Chosen, since it's all been similarly swept under the rug in the comics -- one throwaway mention in the midst of an absurd narration by Andrew, and a new Red Shirt girlfriend for Xander.


    More later.

    (set made by Francy for me)

  • #2
    I agree with several of yours, particularly seeing how things like "Damage" and "The Girl in Question" take shape understanding more of how the Slayers were organized.

    As far as a negative, Buffy's apparent healing with Giles in "Chosen" seems to have gone for nothing, since they are farther apart then they've ever been. Likewise, her relationship with Faith. But that one doesn't bother me as much -- it ever will be that way between the two of them, and at least in "No Future For You", we did have the very important moment of Buffy's concern for Faith after she let her up out of the water.

    Buffy/Xander moments are stronger, especially the beginning of Season 7, because we find that they are again, to quote Willow, the two who are the two as Season 8 begins as well.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

    Comment


    • #3
      Positive Effects:

      - I like how Tara's death is acknowledged as Willow's punishment for bringing Buffy back. "Magic has consequences." And Willow lost her girlfriend because she brought Buffy back.

      - I'm so glad that Buffy isn't dating someone called the Immortal, first of all, the Immortal is so cheesy as a name and character, and second of all, there's no way Buffy would go partying and leave the mess she'd caused to her friends to take care of.

      - The Buffy/Xander strong friendship started from S7 and kept going in S8. I love that.

      - I like how Buffy's choice to turn the potentials into slayers backfired and now Buffy has to deal with it.

      - I love Willow mentioning that she and Tara were like Dawn's parents, because they really were in S6.

      - The fact that Willow and Xander were the ones taking care of Dawn in S7 while Buffy was too busy with her responsibilities is played out in S8 as well, but at least it won't be ignored in this season like it was in S7.

      - I'm glad Buffy finally went through a healthy sexual experience in which she parted with Satsu on good terms, first time Buffy's relationship with someone ends with understanding and smiles.

      - I can watch Buffy vs Dracula and listen to Xander's butt-monkey speech with a smile, knowing that he'll stand up to Dracula and shuts him up eventually.


      Negative Effects:

      - I can't enjoy Warren's death like I used to.

      - I was happy with the send off of Riley's character, and I'm scared that they'll ruin him for me. I love Riley.
      Made by Trickyboxes
      Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

      Comment


      • #4
        Great thread, Enisy!

        Originally posted by Enisy View Post
        Positive Effects:

        - I now find Kennedy much more likable when I rewatch Season 7, because of the vulnerability and endearing snark she's displayed in Season 8. I even find Willow/Kennedy hot in certain scenes, like the montage in Touched.

        - The Girl in Question is a hell of a lot funnier and a hell of a lot less enraging, knowing that our Buffy wasn't actually partying in Rome and dating the Immortal.

        - Xander/Dawn is looking 'shippable to me as early as Season 7, because of all the cuteness and flirting in Season 8.

        - I no longer have to wrack my brain over the mixed bag that is the empowerment spell in Chosen, because Season 8 is doing it for me, better than Damage did in Season 5 of Angel.

        - I can stomach The Killer in Me the slightest bit more than I used to, because of the retcon regarding Amy's character.
        Agree with all of these.


        Originally posted by Enisy View Post
        Negative Effects:

        - Buffy's smile in Chosen, not quite as hopeful and optimistic as it used to be.

        - I occasionally roll my eyes at Buffy's indignation over Parker and her breakup speech in As You Were, since she's gonna use Satsu just the same a couple of years later, this time without the excuse of a depression.

        - I have to shove The Long Way Home out of my mind when rewatching Villains, 'cause it just makes next to no sense.

        - I like Willow less.

        - I'm hurt and annoyed about Anya's death and Xander's subdued reaction in Chosen, since it's all been similarly swept under the rug in the comics -- one throwaway mention in the midst of an absurd narration by Andrew, and a new Red Shirt girlfriend for Xander.
        I agree with you here, too. The only thing I'd quibble with is there's a huge difference between Buffy/Parker and Buffy/Satsu - respect. Parker went on to insult Buffy in front of Riley and the guys, basically confirming our suspicions that his front of soulfully sensitive was just a way to get laid. With Buffy/Satsu, Buffy was upfront and honest from the start and I imagine they ended up in bed together after a heated moment of physical attraction. The love wasn't there on Buffy's side but the attraction was. And Satsu knew this going in.

        Sometimes you can have intimate encounters without it being the end of the world. There's something pretty amazing about the human need for touch - it's undeniable. And really, the best person to criticize Buffy's treatment of Satsu would be Satsu herself and she seems to have dealt with it in a healthy fashion. Why did it end so healthily? Open communication. Buffy was completely open and honest in her interactions with Satsu. She never falsely raised Satsu' expectations on the emotional front (unlike Parker). Buffy/Satsu was a depiction of an adult relationship where two hearts are unequally involved yet equally physically attracted. The makings of a short, passionate interlude but not a lengthy, soul-shaking affair.

        Now here's some more on how Season 8 has re-shaped my view of the previous seasons.

        Positives

        - Dracula is now badass in Season 5. Re-watching Buffy vs. Dracula makes me better understand that he's already incredibly depressed and lonely at this point, the reason why he goes to seek out the slayer as his kindred. And that it's really just a game to him to try to shake off his ennui. Wolves at the Gate added so much depth to his character, making him more than just the caricature they offered in the Season 5 episode. Keeping the future story in mind, I'm able to add that depth when I rewatch.

        - The Scythe becomes even more cool when watching Buffy find it in Touched because I now have all these future scenarios of it being used in battle and it's symbolism for Slayer power and the line. It's also so poignant to see Buffy discovering it in the stone then realizing what she'll do to Fray's Scythe in ToYL.

        - Season 7 gets even better imo when you realize the themes of power continue to be explored in Season 8.

        Negatives

        - Buffy's speeches about morality in BtVS and not accepting money for slaying in Season 6 really grate when you realize she's robbing banks in Season 8. How the mighty have fallen.

        - Warren's death in Villains and Willow's dark arc are completely undermined by his return in The Long Way Home.

        - The bandaid patchwork done in Chosen to make them all friends again just doesn't work when we later see that Willow has been avoiding Buffy and blaming her for Tara's death and that Giles is even more distanced from her. While it rang as a bit shallow and false the first time I watched Chosen, it really doesn't work now after the events of Season 8.
        Last edited by Emmie; 17-01-09, 12:53 AM.
        sigpic

        Banner Set by thedothatgirl

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Emmie View Post
          I agree with you here, too. The only thing I'd quibble with is there's a huge difference between Buffy/Parker and Buffy/Satsu - respect. Parker went on to insult Buffy in front of Riley and the guys, basically confirming our suspicions that his front of soulfully sensitive was just a way to get laid. With Buffy/Satsu, Buffy was upfront and honest from the start and I imagine they ended up in bed together after a heated moment of physical attraction. The love wasn't there on Buffy's side but the attraction was. And Satsu knew this going in.
          Couldn't agree more, I never felt it was like Buffy/Parker or Buffy/Spike whatsoever. Buffy didn't "trick" Satsu into having sex with her like Parker did to Buffy, I think that's blatantly bashing the Buffster to be honest. Buffy never pretended to be really into Satsu to get her into the sack, nor did she pretend to be to "busy" to talk to Satsu again whilst already moving onto a new potential to play with. Buffy was upfront from the very beginning with Satsu, she tells it straight in 'A Beautiful Sunset' and it's made clear Satsu knows where she stands and where Buffy stands, "you're not gay." They also talk bluntly and honestly about it in ?Wolves At The Gate' just after the deed and their break-up scene is one of my favourite moments of the season.

          It's not "using someone" to have sex with them in a time of need, not if you make it clear where you stand with that person and they choose to engage in that intimacy with you regardless. Both girls went into it for different reasons and both girls came out of it happier. You can have sex with someone without needing a commitment, it's just important your honest about that and you don't even pretend otherwise before getting involved with that person.

          Now for my list

          Positives:

          1) I like Dracula in 'Buffy VS Dracula.' I agree with others in saying that it's made him appear far cooler, and far more evolved. And it adds new to layers to wanting to seek Buffy out. And I second Sosa's new found appreciation for Xander's "butt-monkey" speech in that episode seeing as how that played out in season eight.

          2) I don't mind the Buffy/Giles "repair" in 'Chosen' anymore. I always accepted it because it was alll we were giving but I thought it was terrible how they swept it under the rug and tried to resolve all their problems with a simple smile, season eight has shown it's not all dandy and I can look at 'Chosen' with some more fondness now.

          3) Xander's pre-battle advice in 'Dirty Girls' has more layers now, I look at him giving orders to the potentials and advice for the battle and I just think of his new role in season eight.

          4) The Killer In Me makes a lot more sense. I know to bring Warren back seems to be an unpopular choice by most, but I think it's done wonders for that horrible season seven episode. It now makes perfect sense that Amy would turn Willow into Warren, that she'd been spying on Willow enough to know she went dark but people still loved by her friends and why she knew about Kennedy and all the potentials. And it adds even more layers onto Amy, I look at her in this episode and I can completely see how she's been twisted and shaped into the person she is now in season eight, especially with the added crazy

          I can't say I've found the season has had a negative effect on any seasons before it though? The only thing I could say is that I hope they don't harm Riley's character too much? I think I'd like it more if they make his turn be a result of something that happened after we last saw him in 'As You Were' and not something that happened before that or even when he was still in Sunnydale. It'd give his haters an excuse to bash the poor character more than they already do.

          ~ Banner by Nina ~

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vampmogs
            It's not "using someone" to have sex with them in a time of need, not if you make it clear where you stand with that person and they choose to engage in that intimacy with you regardless.
            Spike/Buffy: "Sex in a time of need" -- check. "Clear where [Buffy] stands with [Spike]" -- check. "Latter chooses to engage in that intimacy regardless" -- check.

            And yet.

            So far, I haven't seen any convincing arguments as to why Buffy was using Spike (as she admitted multiple times in Season 6 and 7), but wasn't using Satsu. She made it clear to Satsu (post-coitus) that that's as far as it went, sure; but she had also made it clear to Spike that "they didn't have a thing, they had this". She was nice to Satsu afterwards, sure; but Parker had also brought her coffee.

            Way I see it, it only ended in smiles and warm fuzzies because Satsu was a very sweet and accepting gal, as opposed to moral-compass-less Season 6 Spike -- not because of anything Buffy did.

            Buffy/Satsu did have one positive retroactive effect for me, though: payoff for the sexual liberation angle of Season 6. We didn't get that in Season 7, since Buffy and Spike only had one possible sexual encounter in Chosen, and that was offscreen, but we did get it with Buffy/Satsu.

            Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
            - I like how Tara's death is acknowledged as Willow's punishment for bringing Buffy back. "Magic has consequences." And Willow lost her girlfriend because she brought Buffy back.
            Great point. I loved that.

            (set made by Francy for me)

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm not going to rehash Buffy/Satsu, but I will say it does nothing to make Buffy's romantic woes in the televised seasons more sympathetic. Hell, even Scott Hope... she basically gives him the old "c'mere c'mere c'mere oh get away get away get away".

              "Buffy vs. Dracula" *is* a much better episode now that that you know what motivated Dracula. Hell, it's probably why he gave up so easily, he was still bored, it stopped being fun, so he left.

              "The Killer In Me" -- Amy said she didn't know what the curse would do, but why believe her? In fact, why even believe it was a curse? It could have been a bona fide spell to feed on Willow's guilt, and in the process, turn her into Warren. *Real* Warren. Give him a new body.

              Speaking of "The Killer in Me", Riley's situation is more interesting now. His orders were to leave Spike up to Buffy. Was that a test? To see how sound her judgment was anymore? We know what he thought of Spike, and the only reason he had ever not killed him was deference to Buffy.
              sigpic
              Banner by LRae12

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Enisy View Post
                So far, I haven't seen any convincing arguments as to why Buffy was using Spike (as she admitted multiple times in Season 6 and 7), but wasn't using Satsu. She made it clear to Satsu (post-coitus) that that's as far as it went, sure; but she had also made it clear to Spike that "they didn't have a thing, they had this". She was nice to Satsu afterwards, sure; but Parker had also brought her coffee.
                I think it's where you draw the line. Sex is never just sex, it's always happens for a reason. There's always an element of "using" sex to achieve something, wether it be a simple act of achieving momentary pleasure because you need that feeling, using it as an expression of love or using it for comfort, there's always going to be that element attached to sex. You need it and you use it to achieve something.

                The difference with Buffy/Satsu and Buffy/Spike is that a) Buffy actually recognised Satsu as a human being and respected Satsu, b) Unlike Spike, Satsu actually understood what Buffy was thinking and feeling and never mistook this as something it wasn't and c) this was never destructive to Buffy or Satsu both girls came out of it happy and fulfilled.

                It was very different from Buffy/Spike.

                And the whole Parker thing? I still find it a pretty horrible insult to Buffy's character to claim she's basically Parker 2.0 Parker intentionally tricked Buffy into coming across as something he wasn't to get her into the sack, Willow called him out on his ridiculous schemes. Buffy never did that. Parker intentionally led Buffy on to believe there'd be some kind of commitment involved with this whereas Buffy made it clear before the sex and after the sex that there wasn't. She never intentionally pretended to be looking for something she wasn't so she'd get what she could out of Satsu. And Satsu vocalises all of this.

                ~ Banner by Nina ~

                Comment


                • #9
                  I really don't want to speak for anybody or put words into anybody's mouths, but I do have to wonder if disappointment about the Buffy/Spike sexual relationship could have something to do with the fact that when Season 6 originally aired, so many fans of Spuffy just wanted, almost desperately so, Buffy's reason for sleeping with Spike to be because she was in love with him after all and just wouldn't admit it, and yet that wasn't the direction the writers said they were going in?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm afraid to say I derailed this thread by bringing up the dreaded Buffy/Satsu debate. Let's try to swing it back around to the Original Topic.

                    Okay, so:

                    Positive Effects:

                    - The lack of socializing/chill time in the comics makes me cherish the moments at the Bronze or everybody hanging out at Giles' or sitting at the Magic Box.
                    sigpic

                    Banner Set by thedothatgirl

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Kinda a negative effect;

                      * I look at 'Chosen' and know that Faith's going to have a very hard time after this and not become bestest buds with the Scoobs....

                      * I look at Willow's glowy white hair and already begin to ask myself "what on earth went wrong, why didn't you learn your lesson!"

                      ~ Banner by Nina ~

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Emmie View Post
                        - The bandaid patchwork done in Chosen to make them all friends again just doesn't work when we later see that Willow has been avoiding Buffy and blaming her for Tara's death and that Giles is even more distanced from her. While it rang as a bit shallow and false the first time I watched Chosen, it really doesn't work now after the events of Season 8.
                        I've always believed that Buffy and Xander were the only ones close by the end of S7. I think it was the way SMG and NB held hands as they walked in the hall and gazed into each other's eyes in Chosen that sold it for me. And I've always argued about it with core-four-haters. When S8 arrived and Buffy and Xander appeared to be the only two close, I was so happy to be right. I threw it in the haters' faces. LOL
                        Made by Trickyboxes
                        Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Emmie View Post

                          Positive Effects:

                          - The lack of socializing/chill time in the comics makes me cherish the moments at the Bronze or everybody hanging out at Giles' or sitting at the Magic Box.
                          Same here. One of the main things I hate about how this series is how they fractionalized the main characters practically from the start.

                          Yes, I imagine thats all part of JW's 'master plan' but it just doesn't help with actually wanting to care about any of them really, and I just can't muster the same enthusiasm for any of the thinly drawn OC's as I can with the established cast, which doesn't help of course.

                          The positive elements for me in season 8?.....Oh god thats a hard one...the return of Harmony, and Xander/Drac? Thats about it for me sadly.
                          sueworld
                          Banned
                          Last edited by sueworld; 17-01-09, 05:40 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Emmie is right about the increasing OTness of our discussion, so I won't comment further on the Buffy/Satsu affair, other than to say I'm not convinced. Oh, but:

                            Originally posted by Skippcomet View Post
                            I really don't want to speak for anybody or put words into anybody's mouths, but I do have to wonder if disappointment about the Buffy/Spike sexual relationship could have something to do with the fact that when Season 6 originally aired, so many fans of Spuffy just wanted, almost desperately so, Buffy's reason for sleeping with Spike to be because she was in love with him after all and just wouldn't admit it, and yet that wasn't the direction the writers said they were going in?
                            Since I'm the only Spike/Buffy fan partaking in the debate, I have to assume that was directed to me, so... what makes you think I'm disappointed with Buffy and Spike's sexual relationship, and how does that alleged disappointment have anything to do with the subject at hand? And that's as nice a reply as I can manage, because I think that jab was really uncalled for.

                            Anyway.

                            Positive Effect:

                            - After meeting layered and likable Slayers like the anonymous girl in The Chain, Soledad in Harmonic Divergence and, to a lesser extent, Satsu and Renee, I begin to see the Potentials in Season 7 a bit more like characters instead of cannon fodder. ("Casualties... It just sounds so... casual. These are girls that I got killed.")

                            Negative Effect:

                            - The lack of reaction to Cordelia's death (in both Angel and Buffy) grates even more after Buffy's "Maybe someday she'll be dead and you'll be a sorceress supreme" line (and Allie's confirmation that Buffy does, in fact, know about her death).

                            (set made by Francy for me)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                              I think it’s where you draw the line. Sex is never just sex, it’s always happens for a reason. There’s always an element of “using” sex to achieve something, wether it be a simple act of achieving momentary pleasure because you need that feeling, using it as an expression of love or using it for comfort, there’s always going to be that element attached to sex. You need it and you use it to achieve something.

                              The difference with Buffy/Satsu and Buffy/Spike is that a) Buffy actually recognised Satsu as a human being and respected Satsu, b) Unlike Spike, Satsu actually understood what Buffy was thinking and feeling and never mistook this as something it wasn’t and c) this was never destructive to Buffy or Satsu both girls came out of it happy and fulfilled.

                              It was very different from Buffy/Spike.

                              And the whole Parker thing… I still find it a pretty horrible insult to Buffy’s character to claim she’s basically Parker 2.0 Parker intentionally tricked Buffy into coming across as something he wasn’t to get her into the sack, Willow called him out on his ridiculous schemes. Buffy never did that. Parker intentionally led Buffy on to believe there’d be some kind of commitment involved with this whereas Buffy made it clear before the sex and after the sex that there wasn’t. She never intentionally pretended to be looking for something she wasn’t so she’d get what she could out of Satsu. And Satsu vocalises all of this.
                              While I agree with you about Buffy/Satsu not being the same as Spuffy, I can buy that comparison much more than with Buffy/Parker. Buffy is no where near Parker when she was with Satsu. Parker lied to get a girl into the sack, Buffy was being honest from the beginning. Parker ignores the girls after he sleeps with them, Buffy talked about their sex with Satsu and never ignored her. Parker didn't respect the girls he slept with, Buffy respects Satsu. Huge diff.

                              With Buffy/Satsu and Buffy/Spike, I think the sole difference here is respect. Buffy respected Satsu, but she didn't respect Spike (I'm talking about S6 here). There's also gentleness and civility between Buffy and Satsu that wasn't there with Buffy and Spike. Plus, Buffy/Satsu was sweet compared to the violence of Buffy/Spike. Buffy and Satsu went out of the sexual experience with smiles and contentment while Spike and Buffy got out of it with more pain and self-loathing.

                              The similarities are that Buffy sought Satsu for connection because she was lonely and under a lot of pressure, kinda the same as why she slept with Spike. Buffy was honest with both Satsu and Spike about it being just sex with no commitment, the difference lies in Satsu and Spike. Satsu believed Buffy and accepted, Spike didn't believe Buffy and thought there's more to it than just sex.

                              Originally posted by Enisy View Post
                              Since I'm the only Spike/Buffy fan partaking in the debate, I have to assume that was directed to me, so... what makes you think I'm disappointed with Buffy and Spike's sexual relationship, and how does that alleged disappointment have anything to do with the subject at hand? And that's as nice a reply as I can manage, because I think that jab was really uncalled for.
                              I agree. It was uncalled for, and I have enjoyed the Spuffy relationship in S6 (I'm a Spuffy fan in closet, about to come out)
                              Sosa lola
                              Moderator
                              Last edited by Sosa lola; 17-01-09, 02:47 PM.
                              Made by Trickyboxes
                              Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                These are pretty much mentioned by others already actually.

                                Positive effects:
                                Buffy and The Immortal retcon. Very clever, very funny, makes TGIQ even better now (and I already loved that episode anyway).

                                Dracula seems like an actual character.

                                Harmony's back! And with two cute dogs!

                                The fact that the Slayer Spell backfired and there are some serious issues about that that Buffy has to deal with (and hopefully more in the future).

                                Negative effects:
                                There are many many things I don't like about S8, but speaking about the retroactive effects, main thing for me is:

                                Warren. I say no more.



                                Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
                                I agree. It was uncalled for, and I have enjoyed the Spuffy relationship in S6 (I'm a Spuffy fan in closet, about to come out)
                                Come, Sosa, it's great out here!
                                sigpic
                                banner by litzie avatar by diane

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Anybody who felt my previous comment was a "jab" at Spuffies or them in particular is mistaken; I was not trying to attack anybody. I was commenting on a theme of disappointment I had observed in many fans of Spuffy I had observed when the show was originally airing. I apologize to Enisy and anybody who thought I was attacking or criticizing them (and since my home computer's modem stopped working a couple of months ago, today's the first day I've been back to see the response).

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Glad that it's not really Buffy in The Girl in Question, because that would be just so OOC for her in that situation.

                                    Glad to hear that we learn more about Dracula, too.

                                    About Warren's return I agree with those who posted before me - unnecessary, and undermines Willow's murdering him as a crucial event in her life. Altogether, dead people return far too often (and no, I'm not referring to vampires here ), it's the same with Wesley in ATF. Don't get me wrong, I like Wesley, but his reappearance makes his sacrifice les significant, and it is even more so with Warren, who just died and sort of "got reloaded", popping up again like almost nothing happened. It just undermines the finality of death, makes death a lot less serious than it really is.
                                    Sin is what I feast upon
                                    I'm forging my crematorium
                                    Your tomb is waiting here for you
                                    Welcome to my ritual

                                    -Judas Priest, Death

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Skippcomet View Post
                                      I was commenting on a theme of disappointment I had observed in many fans of Spuffy I had observed when the show was originally airing.

                                      I doubt THAT many Spuffy fans were very disappointed while the show was running...I think we got what we wanted. Spuffy fans are disappointed(or disgruntled) NOW because Joss has really given years of B/S interaction no respect so far, because we haven't heard anything about Spike being alive in the comics!!! Though I'm still giving him time to redeem himself...

                                      I've just started reading the comics online. And here I thought I couldn't read them cause I couldn't get the actual comics...I'd been missing the whole 'Sticky: Season 8 transcripts' thing. What an idgit.

                                      So far my view just from The Long Way Home parts are:

                                      Positive - I missed Buffy and the gang so much. I'd be happy to hear anything about them.

                                      Negative -
                                      - I miss the old low-tech, research at the magic shop/library BTVS. I don't like all the do-dads.
                                      - I want the gang to be back together. What happened to Buffy/Willow heart-to-hearts?
                                      - I miss Giles!!(although I felt this way in season 7, and even season 6 to some extent..I miss the OLD Giles)
                                      - Nothing has been said on Spike dying and then coming back
                                      - Anya has been kicked by the wayside
                                      - I know that this is kind of the whole theme...but I don't like there being gazillions of slayers.
                                      - So far Willow is far too 'cool'...I think she aught to show some of her old nerdiness - I know it's in there somewhere!!
                                      - It being a COMIC. It is better than nothing, but special epis like Hush and Once More With Feeling will never be again.

                                      You know, most of my negatives are just due to the fact that I don't like change, and I want things to go back to the way they were. I feel so old.
                                      -
                                      I have loved you. - Ser Jorah Mormont

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by BloodyHell View Post
                                        - Nothing has been said on Spike dying and then coming back
                                        - Anya has been kicked by the wayside
                                        Season Eight takes place at least a year and a half after 'Chosen.' The Scoobies wouldn't still be grieving so long after the deaths of these characters. Were they still talking about Jenny by the time s3 of Btvs ended? Was Buffy still grieving over Joyce by the time s6 ended? Heck, Buffy was prepared to get on with her life and move on three episodes after Angel died in ‘Faith, Hope & Trick.’ It’d be frankly, OOC and unrealistic to depict these characters talking about and grieving over people who died over a year and a half ago when they’ve never done it in the past.

                                        They face death everyday, they've lost a lot of people they were close to, life goes on. Season Eight has to be about moving fowards, as does any season of Btvs and not just an opportunity for Joss to reflect on the past. He created this story because he has new stories to tell.
                                        vampmogs
                                        Slayer Supporter
                                        Last edited by vampmogs; 22-01-09, 01:31 AM.

                                        ~ Banner by Nina ~

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X