• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covers and blurb for Issue 23!

Click me!

Jo Chen Cover
    Georges Jeanty Cover

Drew Z. Greenberg (W), Georges Jeanty (P/Cover), Andy Owens (I), Michelle Madsen (C), and Jo Chen (Cover)

On sale Mar 4
    FC, 40 pages
    $2.99
    Ongoing

It's Buffy--and Andrew--on a mission in Italy . . . together! Awkward? Yes!

Since Harmony's television stunt, the ensuing of general vampire-love from the masses, and the destruction of the Scotland base, operations at Slayer headquarters have been somewhat strained. Rogue Slayers--Simone and her gang--have not been helping Slayer-civilian relations with their attacks against the military, bank robbing, and occasional snitching at Hot Topic. Now, Andrew has a lead on how to gain intel on Simone's plans . . . but he has to go to Italy--now! With Xander and Willow busy holding together their Slayer legions Buffy seems to be the only one with an open schedule to act as Andrew's backup. Hours of travel . . . just Buffy and Andrew . . . Really?

- I think this might be the first time I like the Jeanty cover more than the Chen one.

- Italy? Really? Any chance that we're going to finally lay eyes on the Immortal? *g*

- Also: Buffy, Andrew... what about that Spike-and-Angel-shaped elephant in the room, huh?

- Simone, as most people predicted.

(set made by Francy for me)

I'm somewhat curious..

Harmony's TV stunt? Maybe she saves someone's life?

As for Simone...
    Spoiler:
    methinks after this little adventure with FDW, Buffy kills the rouge slayer.

And we know at least Willow in the past is still alive as well.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Willow... yeah, the covers, blurbs and previews months in advance kind of kill the suspense, don't they?

As for Simone, I've never really been interested in her (she's more of a phenomenon than a character, and that phenomenon is more interesting in its sneaky, toned-down Buffy-variation)... so I wouldn't mind if this is the last we see of her.
      Last edited by Enisy; 08-11-08, 02:01 AM.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Buffy/Andrew - hilariousness should ensue.
        Xander/Willow - the one real pair we haven't seen much of this season, great to see them finally together.

Comment

Ok, just noticed something weird in the Chen cover. Swords? Maybe it's a deliberate callback to Becoming and Buffy's fight with Angelus, but swords? Really?

Buffy's trying to take down the new Slayer currently in love with the almighty gun. The uber-dramatic glare over swords just seems wrong somehow. Maybe it's textual and will be validated but even so...swords? Huh?
          sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

Wow. The Chen cover is quite disturbing! Simone is one scary lookin' chick!

The Jeanty cover reminds me of "James Bond" movie! LOL!

I think having Andrew and Buffy together - hmmm... Maybe he will talk about the time Spike and Angel chased after the decoy?? Or maybe Buffy herself will bring it up? Wouldn't she know about it?
            -TP<3
            "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
            - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

By Harmony's TV stunt I think it means she is the one who outs the existance of vampires.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmie View Post
                Ok, just noticed something weird in the Chen cover. Swords? Maybe it's a deliberate callback to Becoming and Buffy's fight with Angelus, but swords? Really?

Buffy's trying to take down the new Slayer currently in love with the almighty gun. The uber-dramatic glare over swords just seems wrong somehow. Maybe it's textual and will be validated but even so...swords? Huh?
                Maybe she catches up with Simone in a bank vault full of ancient treasures, including swords...?

But otherwise, maybe it's just symbolic?

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

id say it's symbolic, only because Simone has a hook for a hand in Chen's cover a la Peter Pan? Did Peter and Hook fight with those type of swords?
                  Just one rule... I don't want to date a twin... I've been traded before.

Comment

Love the covers, and of course the Jo Chen cover is prettier but I agree with Enisy. I like the Jeanty cover more.

I still don't get the logic behind Andrew being the one that takes care of the rough slayers. From all the scoobies he would be the last I put in charge of those girls. But okay, Buffy and Andrew. That could be fantastic.
                    Last edited by Nina; 08-11-08, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Oh dear lord I personally find that that drawing of Buffy by Jeanty horrible. Why the oversized head, for a start? I have to say I still prefer Chen's version as per.

I doubt we'll get anything about Spike or Angel as per, but then why should we I suppose.

I'm afraid I'm paralyzed with not caring about this arc. I never was much of a fan of Andrew. He always seemed like one of Joss's more self indulgent jokes stretched out for far too long.

Comment

I think this may be the first time I actually prefer Jeanty's cover over Chen's, there's nothing wrong with it, but I just prefer the other one. Maybe Chen can't draw Andrew?

Anyway, interesting, Buffy and Andrew in Italy where Angel and Spike thought Buffy was to begin with, are we by any chance going to find out about the other decoy? Isn't it also a bit chancy Buffy being in the same place as her alternate?

As for the Willow and Xander thing, that's good beause we haven't seen much of them so far, but it kind of leaves the tension from what happens in #19 deminished.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by modifiedblind View Post
                          id say it's symbolic, only because Simone has a hook for a hand in Chen's cover a la Peter Pan?
                          Huh?? That's Simone's rapier. We're looking at the front of her knuckles around the grip, with a solid curved knuckle bow extending from the guard to the pommel instead of a basket guard - just like the one Buffy is holding, but seen from a different angle.
                          "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

Yup, once again I'm liking Jeanty's cover more than Chen's. I love her Dark Willow on issue 19, but 20, 21, 22, and 23 have all left me kind of cold. I think i might have reached my saturation point for her photorealism attempts. Same thing happened with Alex Ross. At first I loved every single image that man created, but nowadays I can hardly look at his stuff I find it so incredibly boring.

This issue looks great! I just hope they don't completely shunt Andrew to the sidelines and focus totally on Buffy. I'd love to get some more development of Andrew.

Comment

I don't know, this isn't one of my favorite Chen covers, but I haven't really been crazy about most of Jeanty's. The best thing about this one, IMO, is the "Oh, brother" look on Buffy's face.
                              "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

Originally posted by RAZOR0018 View Post
                                By Harmony's TV stunt I think it means she is the one who outs the existance of vampires.
                                I think that's a given but the blurb states 'vampire love' suggesting that she does something very positive in the eyes of many.

I'm wondering if she save someone or something and in the process reveals her vampire nature.
                                sigpic

Comment

It's possible that her being all funny and sweet is enough. Maybe they see vampires as those poor creatures who don't get enough love? (Like those people in 'Lie to Me') Especially when people find out that slayers are robbing banks or when they find out about Simone's latest crime.

I've the feeling that every Scooby and Team Angel member is going to regret not staking Harmony.

Comment

Originally posted by modifiedblind View Post
                                    id say it's symbolic, only because Simone has a hook for a hand in Chen's cover a la Peter Pan? Did Peter and Hook fight with those type of swords?

I think that "hook" you're referring to is actually the design of her shirt, like some quirty cartoon thing, it looks kind of pungent to me, like an onion. And if it is supposed to be a hook then I think Simone's got stunted, it looks kind of wooded and puny for a hook.

As for Simone holding a sword instead, maybe she finds the allure of weapons such as that? Or maybe it's the only thing to hand when she finally meets Buffy. I'd guess it's actually got nothing to do with the actual issue and that it was just a good way to show both Buffy and Simone on the same cover, she couldn't have really done the same thing with guns could she?
                                    sigpic

Comment

Yay new info! And I'm loving the idea of this issue, can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Can't decide which cover I like best, I think Chen's is pretty stunning, I agree that Simone really does look like one scary chick and I love her Buffy, so strong and powerful, and *pissed.* But Jeanty's is great to, love his picture of Buffy and her facial expression, I think it's wonderful.

Yeah, very interesting that they're going to Italy we might get a Spike/Angel mention and I *hope* we see the Immortal or the other slayer decoy, though the story might be too packed as it is already with the Simone story.

The blurb does spoiler the past issues, we can assume that Willow survives the next arc and we know that Harmony's TV show is the thing that sets everything off badly, love that it's all very tense and hey- maybe we'll get some quality Xander/Willow time which has been lacking of late.

Can't wait for this issue.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

A question about Faith and Giles' upcoming issue, can anyone see them being brought in to take the "new" rogue slayer off to rehabilitate her?

As soon as we got info on this arc I knew that Simone was going to be in it somewhere and considering what Faith and Giles said at the end of NFFY it seemed kind of obvious they would step in with her.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X