Joss Talks About Buffy S8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joss Talks About Buffy S8

New Joss interview covering various things.Here's his Buffy Season 8 comments.

Vice Magazine - JOSS WHEDON -

Can I ask you some geek-out questions?

Totally!

Or, um, is it irritating at this point to still be answering questions about Buffy?

Depends on the question. Good luck. We're all behind you. We're rooting for you.

Between the end of the show and the beginning of the comic, what happened? It seemed like Buffy was so excited to start having a normal life, and then right away in the comic she's basically gone Aeon Flux. That's about as much the reverse of an organic California blond as I can imagine.

Mmm-hmm. Well, the first thing you do at the beginning of any season is make everything bad so that you can have something to fight against. You take whatever resolution you had and say, Well, what were the consequences of that? Besides that, I was dealing with the fact that I had created a future where none of the things she had apparently accomplished had actually happened-I wrote them before I wrote her doing them, and that was a mistake. So trying to reconcile the two led to the tone of season eight. It is a little intense but it hopefully has a goofy side to it.

It definitely has a silliness, with famous actors showing up in dreams and fantasies, but in general it seems more sexualized than the TV show.

More sexualized than season six?

Yeah, totally! Even just the way the characters are rendered.

It's a comic book. But I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. To me it seems pretty restrained. Usually. And I've just gotten weirder so that may be the problem.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

I'm confused by Joss' response to "that was a mistake." Is he referring to the fact he'd already written the future first shown in 'Fray' and had to reconcile the Buffy franchise with that? I could see how it could be limiting, but it's also riveting to see how Point A ends up with Points B. Or is he refering to the shape of the storytelling where we're dropped in the middle and gather bits of the puzzle from the past and how we got there as we go?

I agree with him about it not being "over sexualised." I mean my god, what character's body shape has been altered in the slightest way other than Xanders? Who might I add, seems part of his character, his new found confidence and purpose and who we actually *see* training as an explanation for why he's become more toned up.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that Joss is going to make Fray's future AU so he can tell the story he wants to? If writing Fray's future was such a big mistake and limits season 8 that much.
      sigpic

Comment

It's very possible. But guys, do we really want Fray's future to happen? It's such a bleak horrible future, wouldn't we want it to be prevented? I think it's been clear since 'Time of Your Life' Joss is playing with the idea, because why show Buffy the future if you didn't want her to try and change it? Though, in saying that, perhaps Buffy had to see it to make the future happen? As I've said before, not a big 'Doctor Who' fan but what from what I've gathered, timelines connect like that, and it fits with what Willow said about what happens in Fray's time will make Fray's time come to be.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
          I agree with him about it not being "over sexualised." I mean my god, what character's body shape has been altered in the slightest way other than Xanders? Who might I add, seems part of his character, his new found confidence and purpose and who we actually *see* training as an explanation for why he's become more toned up.
          Buffy is altered, not just the art like with Illyria in ATF, but the girl in the chain needed a boobjob/push-up bra because her boobs were too small to be Buffy's. Which is of course quite ridicilous if you look at SMG's chest (thinking that Buffy didn't return to her season 1 body because SMG didn't.). I never got why they went with that, not only is it incorrect because Buffy has small breasts (something Joss was proud of in the past), but why should it be pointed out?
          Nina
          and her haircut.
          Last edited by Nina; 05-11-08, 11:20 AM.

Comment

God I hate Vice magazine. They genuinely think it's clever to swear. But every now and then they do seem to get good people for interviews.

I like the answer about him just getting weirder.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
              Buffy is altered, not just the art like with Illyria in ATF, but the girl in the chain needed a boobjob/push-up bra because her boobs were too small to be Buffy's. Which is of course quite ridicilous if you look at SMG's chest (thinking that Buffy didn't return to her season 1 body because SMG didn't.). I never got why they went with that, not only is it incorrect because Buffy has small breasts (something Joss was proud of in the past), but why should it be pointed out?
              For the sake of the joke obviously, but there's no reason that we don't have to believe she put some of her curves back on anyway. In fact, I believe it may have been a fanfic from Wolfie where Spike spots Buffy/Xander having a secret rendezvous and he comments on how Buffy has put a bit of weight back on and looks far healthier. Just like loosing weight, people can gain it to. And of course we can also read the line as Rona having her usual bitchy snark, it can be interpreted either way and it's not a stretch to think Rona had a little dig at Buffy there, she did that for the entire seventh season.

But one line for the sake of the joke doesn’t warrant a comment that the way the characters are drawn are overly sexualised. Because as far as I can see, Buffy more or less has kept her tiny frame, same for Willow, as I said above, the only character to have any change in his appearance is Xander which is fitting given his character’s progress.

Unless they’re talking about the Willow/Saga interactions, but again I think that symbolises far more than just “hey lets show some sexy” which can’t compare to some of the past seasons, as Joss rightfully points out, in particular season six, in these matters. It's not exactly giving 'True Blood' a run for its money is it?

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I clearly didn't get the joke, and I still don't really get it. And from what I saw on the net, a lot of people didn't get the joke. I think that the interviewer was thinking about this while asking the question. Maybe the joke doesn't work because Buffy is also painted more curvy again.

Comment

I clearly didn't get the joke, and I still don't really get it. And from what I saw on the net, a lot of people didn't get the joke. I think that the interviewer was thinking about this while asking the question. Maybe the joke doesn't work because Buffy is also painted more curvy again.
                  I think "joke" is the wrong word here. I don't think there was necessarily a "joke" to it, I just think it was meant to be a humorous quirky line as she's sizing the decoy up. Honestly, I'm surprised it's been given so much attention really.

I agree that Buffy's a bit more curvy, but nothing extreme. I'm happy she's drawn that way anyway, I think she looked far more healthier when she had some curve on her and I'd like to think she put some of that weight back on. It's not as if it's even come close to the likes of the early issue of Atf comis, I mean Nina anyone? And even that I didn't have a major issue with.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I'm not a fan of the curvy comic women Urru gives us at all (I mean, Jenny is very curvy ... but she is no Pamela Anderson and Amy was never really curvy.). But I guess that I've to deal with that part of the comics. I don't mind curvy comic!Buffy because like I said, it's aprt of the comicbook, it was the line that made me dislike it because I never took the line as a funny line but as a serious one. I guess that I'm sensitive about the idea that women need to be curvy. I prefer curvy women anytime, but if a woman is flat, they should rock it and I'm not a fan if some men (pencillers/writers) decide that the girl should have more boob. SMG/Buffy is flat now, and they should deal with it.

[/overreacting]

Comment

I'm not a fan of the curvy comic women Urru gives us at all (I mean, Jenny is very curvy ... but she is no Pamela Anderson and Amy was never really curvy.). But I guess that I've to deal with that part of the comics. I don't mind curvy comic!Buffy because like I said, it's aprt of the comicbook, it was the line that made me dislike it because I never took the line as a funny line but as a serious one. I guess that I'm sensitive about the idea that women need to be curvy. I prefer curvy women anytime, but if a woman is flat, they should rock it and I'm not a fan if some men (pencillers/writers) decide that the girl should have more boob. SMG/Buffy is flat now, and they should deal with it.

[/overreacting]
                      Well to be fair, Joss said how he told Jeanty and all his artists that he wants his women drawn like real women, and I think they've managed that pretty well. Faith had pretty big boobs, but then she always has, and they weren't comic-sized boobs by any means So Joss deserves credit for going out of his way to make sure they're drawn better.

I only prefer curvy women when I know that they're not naturally "flat" if you get my drift. Amy Acker seems naturally skinny, you can just tell, whereas SMG got very skinny whereas we saw it wasn't natural for her because she had a more curvy body earlier on.

Joss probably didn't even think about it when he wrote that line though, but it also could have something to do with his directions to Jeanty to "draw Buffy, not SMG." Is Buffy's character "skinny" or that SMG? I guess it's up to us to decide. But just because SMG is still very skinny I don't think it should dictate as to how Buffy should look in the eigth season, because she's not playing Buffy right now

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I agree that season 8 is doing a better job with curvy women than Urru (although, he seems to changed his way of painting women, the Anderson curves are gone). And I'm happy that by now, all the pencillers found a way to draw a women without the crazy curves.

And for me Buffy is looking like SMG, just like she always was. And I agree that if SMG dyes her hair purple and let herself go and becomes fat, Buffy wouldn't look like that. But as long SMG looks like she did on BtVS, Buffy looks like that for me. And 1.5 years full of training and being really tired don't give me the feeling that Buffy would gain weight. So for me, Buffy is still SMG skinny.

I guess that for me the real problem was taking that line serious.

Comment

I think it's more sexualised than Season 6 in that we see quite a bit of female nudity (which was almost entirely nonexistent in the TV show, what with its focus on female empowerment). Otherwise, no, nothing extreme.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

The female nudity was something that they started with in Ats season 4. Since that season we saw Cordelia, Nina and Illyria without clothes. I don't really see that as sexualised. As long it makes sense and it isn't just for the nudity. Only the Willow fantasies are maybe a bit pushing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enisy View Post
                              I think it's more sexualised than Season 6 in that we see quite a bit of female nudity (which was almost entirely nonexistent in the TV show, what with its focus on female empowerment). Otherwise, no, nothing extreme.
                              yeah, but we don't see people having sex in public places or experimenting with handcuffs and chains. i agree with Joss that ultimately the comics are being pretty restrained. and we haven't seen female nudity in the comics, we've seen hints of female nudity. in exactly the same way that the show was chock full of hints of male nudity. i think overall there were a lot more hints of male nudity on the show than there have been hints of female nudity in the comics.

as to the question of whether the characters have been sexualized in their illustration, especially buffy, again I have to say no. buffy has become slightly curvier, but one of the best things about the comics is that it frees the characters from the actors portraying them. whether or not SMP is skinny now, she has in the past been curvier. especially in season 1 and 2 she had a pretty ample bust. in addition, the character of buffy also has been portrayed by kristy swanson, who was quite curvy. the comic can draw upon any of that to inform it's current version of buffy, so it's perfectly within character for buffy to be portrayed as such.
                              XavierZane
                              Book Guy
                              Last edited by XavierZane; 05-11-08, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Joss probably didn't even think about it when he wrote that line though, but it also could have something to do with his directions to Jeanty to "draw Buffy, not SMG." Is Buffy's character "skinny" or that SMG? I guess it's up to us to decide
                                Season 8 is a TV tie in/spin off, nothing more, nothing less, and to think that folks are going to be happy with any old drawing that doesn't resemble the actress who played her for all those years seems rather odd to me at least. After all the show came first not the comic after all and the comic would not have existed without the parent product.

Comment

And the show was just a tie-in/spin off/re-imagining of the movie. The movie came first, and the show wouldn't have existed without it's parent product. The character of Buffy exists outside of the portrayal by Sarah. That's why the instruction "draw buffy, not smg" is so apt.

Comment

Even Joss has said that the movie was a big mistake. Nothing like he originally envisaged. Thats why he went back to the drawing board so to speak and got together a script for a TV version.

Also the movie was just a poorly received one off. The series was a completely different matter altogether. It was the show not the movie that became a success and spawned other spin offs such as this comic.

Buffy as a character was a success partly because of SMG portrayal in the part and thinking otherwise is really downplaying what she and the other actors achieved over the course of it's run..

Comment

Fact is, without the movie we may have never gotten the show. And the movie set up much of the mythology that we saw in the show, even if a lot of the crazier movie stuff was dropped. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that while Sarah Michelle Gellar contributed massively to the Buffy character we all know and love, and SMG will always be a part of Buffy her appearence isn't the be all and end all. We don't need a photo of SMG for her to be Buffy.

And y'know Georges Jeanty's Buffy does resemble SMG so it's not really an issue anyway.

Comment

Fact is, without the movie we may have never gotten the show.
                                        Sorry I disagree. The series could have easily been made without the movie.

Lets face it, how many of the general public have even heard of the thing, let alone seen it.
                                        And personally I'm not keen on Jeanty's artwork at all. (oh there's a surprise I know.)
                                        sueworld
                                        Banned
                                        Last edited by sueworld; 05-11-08, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X