Buffy; Issue# 22 covers and blurb. [Spoilers]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy; Issue# 22 covers and blurb. [Spoilers]

Today the covers and blurb were posted on darkhorse.com.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER #22

Written by Steven S. DeKnight, penciled by Georges Jeanty, inked by Andy Owens, colored by Michelle Madsen, covers by Jo Chen and Jeanty.

Vampires are the hottest thing around -- forget hipsters; being a bloodsucking fiend is where's it's at! Slayers must take the good fight underground if they're to avoid any bad press from the general public.

When Kennedy is sent to Japan to evaluate Satsu's efforts as team leader, they are taken by surprise by some fierce furry creatures who want to do nothing more than destroy Buffy (surprise!), while Twilight remains the captain of the anti-Slayer ship. Steven S. DeKnight (Angel, Smallville, Dollhouse) teams with series artist Georges Jeanty in "Swell."

Love the covers, Satsu looks a bit like Drusilla ... but that's probably me.
    And those little vampire cats (?) are looking a bit weird ... they look cute ... with sharp fangs.
    Last edited by Nina; 09-10-08, 11:15 PM.

Could Kennedy and Satsu get it onnn?

Comment

Another staggeringly beautiful Chen cover! Truly lovely.

Not so keen on the Jeanty version as usual, and the 'Vamp tots' are sorta of cute, but rather stupid looking.

Comment

Jo Chen nailed Kennedy, as she has all characters so far. And wow, if Satsu had looked that hot in the interior art, I might have been 'shipping Buffy/Satsu by now. (Kidding. Mostly.)

I'm looking forward to this issue, as Stephen S. DeKnight was one of my favourite writers in the televised seasons of Buffy and Angel ("Dead Things", "Seeing Red", "Destiny", "Shells"...)

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Originally posted by Enisy View Post
          Jo Chen nailed Kennedy, as she has all characters so far. And wow, if Satsu had looked that hot in the interior art, I might have been 'shipping Buffy/Satsu by now. (Kidding. Mostly.)
          I already am. Although I actually thought the 'Wolves at the Gate' version of Satsu was quite hot enough already. I wonder if Jo Chen modelled this picture of her on anyone specific? Does anyone recognise her?

Defnitely agreed on Kennedy. That's a perfect likeness of Iyari. And I'm intrigued by the notion that she's senior enough to be performing inspection tours of Slayer Squad Leaders... and yes, it's an open question what the status of her relationship with Willow will be in four episodes' time...

Comment

Originally posted by stormwreath View Post
            I already am. Although I actually thought the 'Wolves at the Gate' version of Satsu was quite hot enough already. I wonder if Jo Chen modelled this picture of her on anyone specific? Does anyone recognise her?

Defnitely agreed on Kennedy. That's a perfect likeness of Iyari. And I'm intrigued by the notion that she's senior enough to be performing inspection tours of Slayer Squad Leaders... and yes, it's an open question what the status of her relationship with Willow will be in four episodes' time...
            At first glance she looked strangely familiar to me and I can't put my finger on it....I will though.

hell, I think through the face she looks a lot like Nicole kidman, but that's not who I'm thinking of...

And I agree, that's a great likeness of Iyari.
            sigpic

Comment

I love Buffy's expression on Jeanty's cover. She's looking down all, "I'm sorry...WHAT?!"

I like Jo Chen's cover, but I get tired of covers that hinge mostly on good likenesses and semi-photographic realism. And I agree that WaTG Satsu was plenty hot enough for me.

Comment

vvery pretty indeed!

I was expecting it to be hotter though. Just my personal taste is all, but it is another beautifully done cover.

Comment

Chen Cover is AWESOME! Spot on with Kennedy! But Satsu - well she doesn't look like a "Satsu". And oh I would be SO happy if Kennedy and Satsu get together!!

But I like Satsu's outfit - less trendy - more kick-butt!

The Jeanty (forgive me Georges... ) no likey very much... I think those are little vampire Teddy Bears.
                  -TP<3
                  "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                  - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Now I remember who she reminds me of (Satsu) in the new cover....Jena Malone!

sigpic

Comment

Another beautiful Jo Chen cover. Kinda odd, as the realism is part of what I love about her covers, yet on the other hand, I'm one of the few who are growing more and more discontent with the work of Alex Ross. I don't know, her covers are just so damn pretty.

Comment

Beautiful Jo Chen cover. Not a bad cover by Jeanty but I find myself always enjoying his interior art but not so much his covers. His art is better when it's fluid an in the action and not static, like a pose ect.

The Chen cover is gorgeous, she's nailed Kennedy, and I love her depiction of Satsu. It's as if we've placed a "real face" to the character now, which is very awesome. She also reminds me of someone to, but I can't put my finger on it.

I also find it interesting that Kennedy has enough authority to do this now, and it also shows Buffy's thought about her leadership and she evaluates those she puts in charge.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by ThePoet's<3 View Post
                          Chen Cover is AWESOME! Spot on with Kennedy! But Satsu - well she doesn't look like a "Satsu". And oh I would be SO happy if Kennedy and Satsu get together!!

But I like Satsu's outfit - less trendy - more kick-butt!

The Jeanty (forgive me Georges... ) no likey very much... I think those are little vampire Teddy Bears.
                          I like Satsu's outfit too, it's very serious looking, but still stylish in a way.

I also think Jeanty's cover isn't too great, I never really like his covers that much. The style is always different to the interior art and is never as tight. The few exceptions being the "After These Messages" and the Seven Samurai inspired "Wolves at the Gate, Part 4" covers.

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                          Beautiful Jo Chen cover. Not a bad cover by Jeanty but I find myself always enjoying his interior art but not so much his covers. His art is better when it's fluid an in the action and not static, like a pose ect.

The Chen cover is gorgeous, she's nailed Kennedy, and I love her depiction of Satsu. It's as if we've placed a "real face" to the character now, which is very awesome. She also reminds me of someone to, but I can't put my finger on it.

I also find it interesting that Kennedy has enough authority to do this now, and it also shows Buffy's thought about her leadership and she evaluates those she puts in charge.
                          I was very happy Kennedy has that kind of authority now. She is the kind of character that would thrive on that responsibility, it suits her character perfectly. I'm still wondering if she has a squad of her own. I would really like to get some more Kennedy backstory, she's like Faith, in that we never really got much of their personal or professional history before Sunnydale. Flashback stories always have a special place in my heart.

It's great that we get to see a realistic version of Satsu, makes me wish we see her on screen sometime.
                          Last edited by dane5by5; 10-10-08, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I'm happy that Kennedy has a more authorative role in this issue. We saw her in Season 7 be given responsibilities by Buffy to lead the SIT's with training drills. She had a watcher for quite a long time clearly and faught in the hellmouth. Rona and Vi we've seen have been given commands of their own so Kennedy deserves something as well. The Slayers who were there in the hellmoth probably also helped in gathering up new slayers and helping trin some, so its natural they are slightly above some people in the pecking order.

I'd like to see more of Kennedy away from Willow she's an interesting slayer, she's always seemed to me to be an interesting mix or Faith and Buffy, so it'll be nice to see how she does on her own. It'll interesting to see how she's evolved from Season 7. Plus its good to see two newer characters get some storytime. i just hope they haven't put two lesbian characters together in an issue purely with the idea of trying to create some sexual tension or a fling/short romance.

Comment

Originally posted by dinamo View Post
                              I just hope they haven't put two lesbian characters together in an issue purely with the idea of trying to create some sexual tension or a fling/short romance.
                              Oh I'm sure they'll be some kind of joke, or discussion on Satsu's fling with Buffy ect. I doubt the writers could pass up on that

It's doubtful given that Buffy probably won't be around at all, and they'll be preoccupied, but I'd love it if we got a scene with Kennedy being her usual bratty self with Buffy and seeing Satsu's reaction to that. Ever since season eight began I've always thought how interesting it'd be for someone like Satsu to see how Kennedy interacts with Buffy. Satsu shows her respect, trusts her as a leader, and as we know, deeply cares for Buffy, I've always thought it'd be interesting to see her reaction to how Kennedy treats her. The two are polar opposites.

I'm also very happy to know we're going to get Satsu and Kennedy acting out on their own and not with either Buffy or Willow, which is what we usually get. It'll be interesting to see these two kids out on their own without their partners being the centre of their attention.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                                She also reminds me of someone to, but I can't put my finger on it.
                                Same here. I think she looks a bit like Olivia Williams there, maybe?

Great cover though. Girls with sabres = cool. I'm looking forward to this issue a lot.

Comment

Great cover as always, although my one fault is that Satsu doesn't look that oriental, not like she did in the interior, it might just be the expression Chen went for, but she definitely nailed Kennedy, as she has done so many times before.

The Jeanty's cover is quite interesting, the little vampire creatures, does this mean that vampires have now started experimenting on animals?

Also, as this is set in Tokyo does that mean that we might find out what happened to Kumiko? We assume she was dusted, but we only actually saw Raidon and Toru slain, so maybe a return?

Anyway, as for the blurb it sounds like a good twist, having the Slayers become the public enemy and the vampires becoming famous. Although if the creatures want to destroy Buffy what the hell does that make them? They can't be animals because they don't tend to have vendettas against humans and they can't be humans as you can see? Maybe being vampiric makes them hone in on attacking Slayers.

As this is called Swell that kind of shows they're all gonna have different titles, I'm guessing for the TPB it's just gonna be called #21-25.
                                  sigpic

Comment

First cover looks like a Video game cover, It's Ninja Gaiden this time with women.

Second cover... Vampire moggles.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Amazing cover by Jo Chen. She got Kennedy down and Satsu looks different from what I've pictured her but she's still beautiful. I wonder how these two will interact, I kind hope they'll have the same conversation that Stormwreath wrote here:

http://stormwreath.livejournal.com/58220.html

Check it out, guys. So much fun.
                                      Made by Trickyboxes
                                      Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                                        Great cover as always, although my one fault is that Satsu doesn't look that oriental, not like she did in the interior, it might just be the expression Chen went for, but she definitely nailed Kennedy, as she has done so many times before.
                                        That's what I was missing in her look as well - she doesn't look Japanese here an the interior covers she has more of what I picture her of looking like.

I'm glad the "kitty-cat" stuff is gone on the cover - although it may not be on the interior. I think that was one of my "bents" with she and Buffy getting together was the "age" and "maturity" level of the character.

The "Kitty" stuff - hat with ears, keychains and swag dripping off every appendage - although it expressed her individuality - it also made her seem very immature.

Anyway, as for the blurb it sounds like a good twist, having the Slayers become the public enemy and the vampires becoming famous. Although if the creatures want to destroy Buffy what the hell does that make them? They can't be animals because they don't tend to have vendettas against humans and they can't be humans as you can see? Maybe being vampiric makes them hone in on attacking Slayers.

As this is called Swell that kind of shows they're all gonna have different titles, I'm guessing for the TPB it's just gonna be called #21-25.
                                        It' reminds me a bit of the storyline of Ultraviolet. Humans against the Hemophages. Pretty much puts the Slayers out of business!

However, other humans cannot think that Vampires killing them is "cool". So - maybe like in True Blood they won't think of humans as "happy meals with legs"!! They will all drink animal blood or "something".
                                        -TP<3
                                        "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                                        - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Working...
                                        X