Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Joss and Brad Meltzer Interview About Season 8 (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Joss and Brad Meltzer Interview About Season 8 (Spoilers)

Joss and Brad Meltzer talked to MTV about where the season is going.

About the one-shot arcs, the characters involved are...

Spoiler:
    Harmony, then combinations of Buffy and Andrew, Kennedy and Satsu, Xander and Dawn, and Giles and Faith.

Joss talks about the major dilemma for Buffy coming out of her visit to Fray's time...

[spoiler]As the time-traveling “Time of Your Life” arc in Dark Horse Comics’ “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight” wraps up, we’re going to start seeing a lot of the characters in the Buffyverse dealing with what’s in store in the future, and the question of whether Buffy’s activation of all the potential Slayers was a good thing.

“Is this like a ‘Terminator’ thing where we can change it?” Whedon asked. “Are things going to be like that in the future, or is it a ‘Terminator 3’ thing where we can’t change it? That’s the question. Can Buffy preserve the world she’s created, or is it going to come crashing down?”[/quote]

And, the most fascinating choice of phrase to me, by far, is something Brad Meltzer said...

Spoiler:
    “Buffy and Xander don’t need me for a new twist,” Meltzer said. “You love the characters already, because they’re terrific. My job isn’t to show you what’s not there, but what you’ve always seen before but never thought was there. I’m going to try my best not to screw it up too badly.”

Can I just have a fanboy flip out over that? "What you've always seen before but never thought was there"?

MTV Interview with Joss and Brad
    Last edited by KingofCretins; 18-09-08, 11:43 PM.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Oh please. Well, at least I know I should stary looking for another series to replace Buffy on my subscriptions list.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Wow, that sounds amazing! I think 2009 will be a fun year for S8, the actual story will start in #21 like I said. I can't wait for the ones with characters' opinions, all of them will be great. I'm amazed that Willow won't geta point of view of her own.
      Made by Trickyboxes
      Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Spoiler:
        These combinations are just on the awesome side of perfect! I'm especially excited to see what business Buffy and Andrew have. Is it about Rome!Buffy? Simone? Spike? Or is Buffy just taking Andrew out to dinner because he was voted Employee of the Year?

About Meltzer's quote...sounds amazing, but I don't wanna get my hopes up too much. I'm like Buffy post Angel; my heart is fragile and can't take another beating.
        Last edited by XavierZane; 19-09-08, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Spoiler:
          I was thinking about the Buffy-Andrew team-up vis a vis Spike, too, but probably too good to be true.

About that Xander/Buffy quote, as I said on Whedonesque: Jeanty stated that, whoever it is that Xander's paired with, it's "more of a hookup [than a relationship]", so I'm not sure Xander/Buffy fans should be squeeing over the prospect. (But I still think it's more likely to be Dawn.)

I'm excited about the Satsu and Kennedy issue. Should be interesting to see the spotlight on the secondary characters for a change.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Nice interview;

Spoiler:
            At least now we know who the standalones will be on and it's good to see that we will see Buffy and... MORE GILES AND FAITH! Can't wait!

The Buffy/Xander thing was pretty interesting...

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

How much do I love Seth Green?

Spoiler:
              [Joss:] "I just saw Seth [Green], and I think I mentioned it to him. He’s the only cast member who actually reads the comics. He gets it, he loves them.”

“Let me be clear,” Green told MTV, “I love that character. I loved playing it, and I love Joss Whedon and his interpretation of it, so anything he sees fit to elaborate on with that character, I’m excited to see.”
              Although I really hope that Oz's character is done well. As for the rest of it, I'm not really sure what to think. I'm glad to see the Giles/Faith issue, and I'm glad that we'll get to see Satsu again and she hasn't just dropped off the face of the planet. That gives me hope that Buffy/Satsu actually had some sort of a purpose. And I also think that the Xander/Dawn issue will probably give us a clear answer on whether or not they're 'going there'. It'll either be shippy, or obviously not, IMO.

The Buffy/Xander comment...well, it does seem very shippy to me, although oddly placed in the article. But... I hope that it isn't. I still think Xander's waaaay too good for Buffy, and I hope that they don't drag him through the mud and make him 'dark' for her. Actually, that'll be my second hope, and right now I'll cling on to the idea that if I squint, I can kinda see a friendship vibe that he's talking about. I never thought that they had such a strong friendship before, but after this issue, I'll definitely see it.
              The story's kinda bland. It's about this guy named Dumbledore Calrissian who needs to return the ring back to Mordor.

Comment

Meltzer's comment...

Spoiler:

It could be shippy or as I think it is, it's the tipping of the hand that Xander is indeed going to be playing the part of Dark Willow while Buffy plays the role of Xander.

In either case, it appears as though those five issues somehow revolve or deal with Willow since she's not mentioned in any of them yet it appears her storyline is the now taking precedence in the comics with the appearance of Snake lady.

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                  Originally posted by Enisy View Post
                  Spoiler:
                  I was thinking about the Buffy-Andrew team-up vis a vis Spike, too, but probably too good to be true.

About that Xander/Buffy quote, as I said on Whedonesque: Jeanty stated that, whoever it is that Xander's paired with, it's "more of a hookup [than a relationship]", so I'm not sure Xander/Buffy fans should be squeeing over the prospect. (But I still think it's more likely to be Dawn.)

With an Andrew and Buffy issue directly following a Harmony issue, I think the idea that Buffy has found out about Spike being alive isn't all that unlikely.

But Jeanty also said that Xander's hookup was coming soon, did he not? Meltzer's arc doesn't start for a year, and won't be ending until almost a year and a half from now. So I'm thinking Xander will get a bit of romance in the next few issues, and then what happens in Meltzer's arc will be separate.

...and there go my hopes, flying all upwards.

Comment

That's quite interesting, especially how Harmony gets her own issue completely to herself and the others have to share, but I'm guessing that Harmony does something to get herself into the spotlight as she's the only vampire who has their own issue?

Also, about the teaming up thing, Buffy and Andrew should be quite a duo from what we saw in Storyteller, or the end of it at least, I'm hoping Spike has nothing to do with it because there's ATF and then the Buffy comics and they seem miles apart and it would make sense for theirs to be about Simone, she was Andrew's operative.

Kennedy and Satsu should also be quite interesting, I'm guessing it says them together as they are going to meet and interact?

Xander and Dawn... as much as I want Bander it just seems like the perfect premise for a Xander/Dawn hook up, unless Dawn's still in centaur form, but that could still be done.

And I'm psyched that Faith and Giles are coming back, mostly the former, but it should be great anyway.

As for Brad Meltzer's quote, it's interesting and I can just imagine everybody's going to be overanalysing what's been there before.

Overall, the arc sounds brilliant, but I seriously can't wait to see the art work and what they're going to do on the cover of the TPB. I'm just so excited.
                    sigpic

Comment

FAITH AND GILES!!!

...and now for some composure.

Seeing more of those two was my main wish currently, so I'm very pleased about that. Xander and Dawn is good too, and Kennedy and Satsu is an interesting choice, that issue certainly has my curiosity.

Comment

My favourite parts were the bit KoC mentioned re
                        Spoiler:
                        Buffy and Xander
                        and, for maximum squee points
                        Spoiler:
                        Buffy and Andrew!....also glad to hear re Faith and Giles! Kennedy and satsu could be really really interesting two...two newly chosen, one who always felt she SHOULD be chosen...while, with Satsu, I feel we still have more to learn about how she views her slayerness. Not so interested in Xander and Dawn because I feel like we've had a lot of them already lately and I want to see Xander interacting with other characters...ooh, unless it's Dawn who winkles out the truth of the Bander that will happen...maybe?

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Gahh, that Meltzer quote has now got my hopes up again...
                          Spoiler:
                          I'm wondering now if this whole Xander/Dawn stuff is meant to throw us off. Their adventure will of course make them bond even more closely, but in a more sibling light rather than romantic which has been teased off-hand in dialogue. I would even wonder now if Buffy's feelings for Xander might be pushed out into the light of day perhaps by some act by Xander protecting Dawn.

I'd just hope that if they DO have plans for Buffy and Xander that nothing happens between him and Dawn. That just delves too much into soap opera territory for me and would really mess up the Buffy and Dawn relationship. I've only been growing to the idea of a Xander and Dawn romance if Buffy was off the table. But this new info makes it seem like that may not be.

Just idle musings of course but I blame the quote for getting my mind rolling on the subject again.
                          Last edited by Sacred Knight; 20-09-08, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I like the idea of Kennedy and Satsu in an issue, but I hope its not all about Willow and Buffy. I'm excited to have more on the secondary characters and maybe learn a bit more about them considering they've both played quite large roles with two major characters but we've learnt little about them as individuals.

Comment

Brad Meltzer's quote got me thinking that a Bander romance is on the cards, if you look at certain parts of the show with Buffy and Xander it kind of makes sense that there was always something there.

Starting in season 1 with Xander's crush on Buffy and the way Buffy reacted when she found out how Xander wanted her in The Pack (she wasn't exactly pushing him away), then he brought her back to life in Prophecy Girl.

Season 2 there's that dance in When She Was Bad, I know it was mostly a jealousy thing, but why him? Why did she choose him to dance with out of all the guys in the Bronze? Not to mention the numerous times she danced with him when he was in a relationship. Then how he hugged her in Phases, again a comfort thing, but I always felt there were some Bander chemistry in that. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered is a given because of the spell, but if you look at the way he rejected her when she handed it to him on a platter speaks in volumes.

Season 3, the way he's the first of her friends she meets up with after being in LA and the way they're at each other's throats at the party. The way Xander wanted to help Buffy in Amends and with the Angel issue, may have also had something to do with his parents.

Mostly seasons 4-7 didn't have as many Bander moments because of the majority either Xander or Buffy were in a relationship, but occasionally, there was the "What Would Buffy Do?" speech in The Freshman, Buffy and Xander's conversation in Into The Woods, the way Buffy and Xander usually got paired to do stuff together and mainly the moment in End of Days where they're in the kitchen.

Even in season 8 there have been moments, like Buffy's dream where she and Xander are in some form of relationship with the kissing and the training room scene.
                              sigpic

Comment

A user on another forum pointed out that, if Buffy and Xander were ever to hook up, it would be a major plot development, and not something that they'd telegraph so blatantly in an interview more than a year in advance. Which, true. It might just be weird phrasing on Meltzer's part.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Not only that, it would also effectively end or rapidly intensify the shipper wars which already destroyed the TV show(s) and are sinking this season as well.

plus it doesn't fit Joss's MO of torturing his characters for as long as possible in the name of drama.

I think Faith is a more likely candidate then Buffy at this point. I said so when that news first came out and I still think so.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Here's the question -- did Meltzer use Buffy and Xander specifically on purpose, or was he just pulling character names out as examples of people we know?

If he chose them on purpose, everything after refers to them -- and the only thing that fits would be that either there was romantic love or lust there all along or some sort of seething antipathy there all along. And it can only be the latter if Joss Whedon has turned into a complete imbecile who never actually read any of the Buffy scripts in the first place.

If Meltzer was just using them at random, then the statements after refer to the overall dynamic between all the characters, and could mean just about anything.

But if it's about Buffy and Xander, it's either a tease of a romance or a sign that Joss has lost any sense of character continuity about these two.
                                    sigpic
                                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                                      Here's the question -- did Meltzer use Buffy and Xander specifically on purpose, or was he just pulling character names out as examples of people we know?
                                      ese two.
                                      He used them in the connection of wrapping off the seasonal arc, which also happen to started out with Buffy and Xander. To me, the war is against the Slayers and with that in particular against Buffy and Xander. Because they build up and lead the Slayer organisation. I don't think it was meant at all in terms of relationship, though I have to confess that it was also my first thought.

Comment

This is the Meltzer who wrote Identity Crisis, correct? Yeah, I'm worried.
                                        Legend of the Seeker
                                        http://www.dadt.com/lots/

Comment

Working...
                                        X