Things Readers Want.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things Readers Want.

So i thought i might make a thread about what the readers and fans would like to see in season eight and even season nine. Whether its the return of another character, a death, and intriguing story line. What do you want? You can comment on others and see if they have ideas that you agree with.

So here is what i would like to see:

-The next season should not be titled season nine in my opinion. Bring over Angel from After The Fall and name the series Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel Season One.
    -So it has been stated by Joss that he regards the Buffy Movie to be set in a parallel universe to the normal one. How about and arc where Buffy is transported over the Movie universe and we could see what is happening in the world of Kristy Swanson's Buffy. (Would like comments for this one)
    -I would love to see the return on Cordelia
    -This isn't a really big one but i would like all the characters to loose their fake memories of dawn. So all the fake memories of dawn that were planted in there by the monks should be reverted to the true memories. Dawn could then see what her life was like as the key.
    -Oz becoming a main character again.

What would you like?

Things I would like…

-Twilight is a new character, not someone we know already. Much more interesting, imo, if they give him some other reason for wearing a mask…perhaps it’s because of the type of person/creature he is? Or because he’s known to some of his allies?

- That all the plot strands get paid off nicely…Dawn’s transformations serve a greater purpose, Buffy and Giles’s tensions and oppositions come to a head, Willow and Saga Vaskui’s interactions ditto, and the Buffy/Willow plotline plays out in a twisty, torturous but ultimately satisfying way.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

- A return of Oz would totally make my day. As long as it's taciturn, knowing, make-me-squee Oz and not some heavy-handed Oz that's gone through too many life changes.
      - More interaction between the gang, and some bonding.
      - A return of Giles and Faith
      Movies I've seen this year: http://www.listsofbests.com/list/54273
      Movies I own: http://bluelove.dvdaf.com/owned

Comment

Buffy and Angel taken away from Joss and given to someone who has a clue and some originality.

Kurt Buisek and Bruce Kalish would be my top two choices.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, didn't take long for this to get hijacked into another ripping-Season-8-apart thread. There never seem to be fewer than two such threads at a time.

Things I would like in Season 8 --
          • Faith and Giles to return sooner rather than later.
          • Oz' return to be permanent and not just a one-arc guest appearance.
          • Xander to get into a relationship with a Summers woman, preferably the elder.
          • All the Scoobies alive and still good guys
          sigpic
          Banner by LRae12

Comment

1) No more Dark!Willow. It's so lame!
            2) Tara, come back! Preferably as a regular.
            3) Get rid of Dawn/Xander. Ewww.
            4) Reverse the slayer spell.
            5) Let Buffy be in a happy, normal, relationship for once.
            6) they should have never killed Renee. Too late though.

Comment

Set a limit to the number of old characters they bring back... Amy, Warren, Ethan, Oz... it's getting predictable. Tara would be the last straw. Instead, spend some time developing and flashing out the newer characters - Satsu, Leah and Rowena (too late for Renee, obviously), and perhaps also Kennedy, Vi, Rona and Andrew.

Originally posted by KingofCretins
              All the Scoobies alive and still good guys
              This.
              Also, the Slayer spell still active. And preferably Willow still in a relationship with Kennedy, though that would depend on how they break up if she isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Buffy and Angel taken away from Joss and given to someone who has a clue and some originality.
                You talk a big show, but I haven't seen your body of work, yet. Maybe you'd like to point me to something I can review?
                "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  Well, didn't take long for this to get hijacked into another ripping-Season-8-apart thread. There never seem to be fewer than two such threads at a time.
                  That's why I really miss all the discussions on Usenet - at least there, you have a killfile for posters and threads...
                  "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan Hawthorn View Post
                    You talk a big show, but I haven't seen your body of work, yet. Maybe you'd like to point me to something I can review?
                    I'll freely admit here and now that I'm no creative genius and that the things I've written are at best mediocre.

The difference is I'm willing to admit my efforts are subpar and have either done what I can to improve or in some cases abandoned what I was doing rather then continue to mangle the characters and stories.

So I know I suck and stink at some things. That doesn't mean I cannot criticize or judge another person's work, particularly when said person is employed in this field. I don't know what you're trying to get at by saying "I talk a good game" then apparently implying there needst to be minium qualifications of a certain level or standard in order to express an opinion on any given subject.

If that is indeed what you are trying to do.

As for the link check your pm's in a bit.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'll freely admit here and now that I'm no creative genius and that the things I've written are at best mediocre.

The difference is I'm willing to admit my efforts are subpar and have either done what I can to improve or in some cases abandoned what I was doing rather then continue to mangle the characters and stories.

So I know I suck and stink at some things. That doesn't mean I cannot criticize or judge another person's work, particularly when said person is employed in this field. I don't know what you're trying to get at by saying "I talk a good game" then apparently implying there needst to be minium qualifications of a certain level or standard in order to express an opinion on any given subject.

If that is indeed what you are trying to do.
                      No. My point is that I have yet to see any comment that doesn't give the appearance of criticizing for the sake of criticizing; "Buffy and Angel taken away from Joss and given to someone who has a clue and some originality" can by no stretch of the imagination be claimed as a reasonable "critique," That pretty much places Whedon's work well below the "mediocre" that you judge your own, so if his stuff sells, surely yours should.

Flat out: is there anything in the entire Whedon canon that meets your standards of acceptability? And if not, why are you bothering with it? Seems to me it would be less stressful to find someone whose work actually pleases you - like maybe Kurt Busiek or Bruce Kalish, perhaps. I'm frankly mystified as to why people who give every appearance of hating everything that's been done with the story would torment themselves by continuing to follow it. Personally, I give a TV show two or three episodes, and a comic six issues; if I don't like them by the end of that time, I write them off and get on with my life.

As for the link check your pm's in a bit.
                      Got it. I will read it. And, rest assured: I don't read a lot of fanfic, but so far, I've been kinder to fanfic I despised than what I've been reading here.

Comment

Can I just ask why you're reading season 8? You've made it your mission to hate anything Joss does in some weird personal vendetta against the man so what's the need to continue reading anything Buffyverse related, seeing as how it'll always be Joss Whedon's world? Given your comments you think the series has lacked originality for some time, pre-dating season 8, so it seems rather pointless in you continuing to invest time into something you don't plan to ever enjoy as long as he's at the wheel, which he always will be?

Things I'd like to see;

1) Permanent return of Giles. I love his character, I miss his character, I'd love to see him stay when he returns. I love Faith but I think part of her appeal is showing up, showing us how brilliant her character is then leaving for a while before the shine wears of so I don't mind as much if she isn't permanent. But Giles, gotta have Giles.

2) Kennedy being very, very jealous of Oz

3) A real Xander/Willow bonding scene or even a scene of them confronting each other, perhaps Willow confronting Xander about Buffy's decisions, or Xander confronting Willow over Vasuki.

4) Warren get the absolute tar kicked outta him...

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                          Things I would like in Season 8 --
                          • Faith and Giles to return sooner rather than later.
                          • Oz' return to be permanent and not just a one-arc guest appearance.
                          Originally posted by smashed View Post
                          1) 4) Reverse the slayer spell.
                          • Riley IS Twilight! (pleaseohpleaseohplease)
                          • Buffy knows Spike is alive.
                          Last edited by ThePoet's<3; 22-08-08, 05:02 AM.
                          -TP<3
                          "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                          - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Just one, really:

- Have the issues dive into the characters ala "No Future for You" or "A Beautiful Sunset." These plot-driven issues, like "Long Way Home" and "Time of Your Life", don't engage me in the characters. I get it: Buffy is pist the government is on their tail-- but what about her issues with men? Why is her relationship with Dawn so strained? I want to see her point of view on everything, as we did in "A Beautiful Sunset" thoroughly. Make that for all the characters!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore View Post
                              Things I would like?

-Twilight is a new character, not someone we know already. Much more interesting, imo, if they give him some other reason for wearing a mask?perhaps it's because of the type of person/creature he is? Or because he's known to some of his allies?

- That all the plot strands get paid off nicely?Dawn's transformations serve a greater purpose, Buffy and Giles's tensions and oppositions come to a head, Willow and Saga Vaskui's interactions ditto, and the Buffy/Willow plotline plays out in a twisty, torturous but ultimately satisfying way.
                              Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Comment

I want the comics to be double the length they currently are. Waiting half a year for what essentially would be one episode of Buffy is too long.

Comment

Waiting half a year for what essentially would be one episode of Buffy is too long.
                                  I don't even think they equate to being that long do they? I think it was someone else on here who said that in real time their more like a 20min segment.

It takes me, what 10 mins to read the things. Then back to another long wait.

*ETA* What do you mean an entire story arc? Yeah, still too long, but sadly it's the nature of the medium.

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                                    I don't even think they equate to being that long do they? I think it was someone else on here who said that in real time their more like a 20min segment.
                                    I think I worked out once that there's the same amount of dialogue in a 43-minute episode of 'Buffy' as in about three issues of the comics. So as a rule of thumb, I assumed that a four-issue arc was equal to a double episode (such as 'What's My Line' or 'Graduation Day'), and a single-issue standalone was equal to a (very short) single episode.

Comment

Originally posted by stormwreath View Post
                                      I think I worked out once that there's the same amount of dialogue in a 43-minute episode of 'Buffy' as in about three issues of the comics. So as a rule of thumb, I assumed that a four-issue arc was equal to a double episode (such as 'What's My Line' or 'Graduation Day'), and a single-issue standalone was equal to a (very short) single episode.
                                      Darkhorse is advertising one arc as one episode in their ?No Future For You' TPB adverts, and generally that's how I've always viewed them. For me if it's got a new title it's a new episode basically, but I think we can all view them however we like really.

Generally for me, one issue is one act. That's how it always feels for me with issue one being the set up, with issue two being the middle part before things really start running (probably why they're most people's least favourite) with issue three setting up the big doom and gloom and then issue four being the big climatic conclusion, just like an eppy

But either way, by the end of it I'm satisfied we got a whole 'episodes' worth out of one act, or even one standalone. I mean yeah in the standalones we don't have as much dialouge but enough happens to qualify for one episode of a televised season in my opinion.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                                        1) Permanent return of Giles. I love his character, I miss his character, I'd love to see him stay when he returns. I love Faith but I think part of her appeal is showing up, showing us how brilliant her character is then leaving for a while before the shine wears of so I don't mind as much if she isn't permanent. But Giles, gotta have Giles.

3) A real Xander/Willow bonding scene or even a scene of them confronting each other, perhaps Willow confronting Xander about Buffy's decisions, or Xander confronting Willow over Vasuki.
                                        This are two of the things I really want to see. I miss the whole Xander/Willow friendship in the comics. And Giles needs to come back, with or without Faith. Faith can go to LA after ATF or come back ... I like Faith but I don't really need her in season 8 right now ... (And before the whole 'ATF has already too many characters' comments, I suspect that the team is not that large anymore after ATF.)

I also agree with;
                                        Originally posted by Weredog
                                        - Have the issues dive into the characters ala "No Future for You" or "A Beautiful Sunset." These plot-driven issues, like "Long Way Home" and "Time of Your Life", don't engage me in the characters. I get it: Buffy is pist the government is on their tail-- but what about her issues with men? Why is her relationship with Dawn so strained? I want to see her point of view on everything, as we did in "A Beautiful Sunset" thoroughly. Make that for all the characters!
                                        NFFY and ABS are my two favourite stories, and I would love it when give me more insight in the characters ... I want to know how Buffy really feels about being a leader and how far she wants to go with protecting those. Or Willow and her Magic journey .... or Xander and his feelings about the girls around him.

And I my most important wish for the comics;
                                        Originally posted by Wolfie Gilmore
                                        - That all the plot strands get paid off nicely…Dawn’s transformations serve a greater purpose, Buffy and Giles’s tensions and oppositions come to a head, Willow and Saga Vaskui’s interactions ditto, and the Buffy/Willow plotline plays out in a twisty, torturous but ultimately satisfying way.
                                        I'm done with unfinished storylines ... season 7 had too many. Season 8 needs to heal me ...

further;
                                        I'm okay with Twilight being a known character, but I don't want it to be a 'good' character. Twilight has some points about the danger of many slayers but the guy is evil ... and I would hate it if one of the good guys gets changed into Twilight ... just for the big shock. If Twilight was just against all those slayers and tried to stop it without murder, bombs, working with Warren and Amy .. but with talking or a debat maybe ... I would be okay with it being Riley or Angel ... or Giles. But right now, I prefer a new character or a forgotten character. And I prefer not another 'back from the death' character.

Since season 5 we had storylines about Buffy feeling alone and different. It's interesting that 2000 slayers don't make her feel less alone but I'm also kind of tired to hear that she is alone every single season ... this season it's not just Buffy but also her best friend starts saying it. We get it, Buffy is alone. Characters like Faith, Giles, Wesley or Angel must be much more alone ... still it's not their storyline for 4 seasons. Give the girl a new emotional storyline or let her have peace with this one ... or make it a less important storyline in her story.

I want to see Dana and the 'Damage' storyline explained. Who did it and why?

Comment

Working...
                                        X