Season Eight = Season One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Eight = Season One

I've been reading reviews of Buffy S8 and Angel-Spike: After the Fall on LJ since they started. I've noticed how some of the Angel: After the Fall fans call Buffy S8 "Season One", like they compare it to S1 of Buffy. Almost all their reviews they just can't stop referring to S8 as S1.

Why is that? Is it because S8 has things that didn't happen on TV like giants? But then also After the Fall has weird things happening, like George the fish.

Because seriously, I see nothing of S1 in S8. Xander isn't the same as 16 year old Xander. Willow isn't the same as 16 year old Willow. And while Buffy learned to joke around instead of being a stiff emotionless leader, she's also not the same as 16 year old Buffy, who was too careless and romantic-driven.

S1 didn't have lesbians and mature storylines like Buffy/Satsu. S1 didn't have the complicated storyline of Buffy's detachment from everything. S1 doesn't have a complicated story-arc with mysteries and few clues. It was mostly: Buffy slays vampires and must kill The Master.

So again, why do they call it S1?

Is it because they hate it? (Most possibly) Is it because Buffy learned to loosen up a little? Is it because it's in a comic form? Is it because of the art?

If you hate it, just say I hate it. If it because Buffy is joking around, it's not like she was a stone without feeling in S7, she joked around with her friends and Spike. If it's because it's a comic, then After the Fall is also a comic. If it's because of the art, then blame the artist, not the storyline.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

I've never seen it, and I've no idea why some people do it. My guess; between season 7 and 8 is a big gap of time and season 8 is a complete new situation ... season 1 of the era with more than 2 slayers and a new setting, new characters etc.. Angel:ATF still has all the already known characters (okay ... George and Dragon are new .. but no major characters like Satsu or Renee.), in LA and it's what happens after NFA without a time gap of more than a year.

Like I said, I never saw it ... but I'm also not sure if they see it as a negative thing to call it season 1 ... and I doubt that they compare it to season 1, because almost nothing is the same.

I won't do it myself, but if their reason is what I think that it is ... I don't think that it's a really bad thing. They see it as a new chapter in Buffy's life.
    Nina
    and her haircut.
    Last edited by Nina; 09-08-08, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sosa lola View Post
      If you hate it, just say I hate it.
      Never gonna happen. Too many pretentious asses who can't admit that their personal likes and dislikes are just that - personal opinion. Always gotta try and rationalize'em as "objective fact." Waste of time trying to carry on a conversation with them.
      "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
        I've never seen it, and I've no idea why some people do it.
        It's mostly on LJ, never seen it in forums, so that's a plus. And it sure looks like they're using this comparison as an insult to S8. Because I agree with you, S8 is like S1, S4 and S6 that it's a new chapter: different themes and setting. I'm guessing, and I could be wrong, that they call it S1 because they think the storyline in childish and the characters act like their 16 year old persona, which is all very wrong and I'm not sure why they think that.

I don't want to generalize, but all of those I've seen who call S8 "A S1 look alike" are Spike fans. So maybe, they just didn't get invested in S8 because Spike isn't there -which some admitted it and there's nothing wrong with that reasoning- not to mention that Buffy never mentioned Spike except for his appearance in her threesome fantasy. Many Spike fans were offended by that.
        Made by Trickyboxes
        Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

It's just such a weird comparison. Season 8 is quite similar to season 4, in some ways (following on from "Graduation Day"/"Chosen", which are similar finales, involving the military, etc), so I'd get that comparison.

Season 1 is a classic, even if one dislikes most of the episodes, while season 8 is not a classic (yet). Season 1 is very monster-of-the-week-centric, season 8 seems extremely arc-centric so far. Where's the similarity?

Comment

I think it seems somewhat like season 1 in the sense that there was a huge break during which we have no idea what happened (like the movie and season 1) and are slowly getting filled in, ie Xander spending a year with Dracula and Willow seeing the snake woman (like season 1 where we found out Buffy had burnt down the gym, been expelled etc.)

I think also because it's a totally new storyline, there are now hundreds of slayers, including Buffy and Faith and in a way we're getting re-introduced to the characters because of the changes they've been through.

That's the only way I see it being like season 1.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, as Matt says, I think they're thinking of it (definitely seen one LJ saying as much explicitly) as a completely new story, that's not really Buffy.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

It's easy to rationalise it as that for those who aren't getting their own way...

LJ is pretty negative about season 8 in general, aside from a few exceptions. Each to their own an’ all but I do find some comments posted on there more than a tad hypercritical and it seems like there’s double standards when it comes to season eight.

I'm pretty sure the season one comments are meant to be negative, it's certainly what I've gathered from the context. I've viewed some saying they were going to treat season 8 like they would season one before the comic even came out, I don't think some were that interested to really give it a go at all. *shrugs*
                vampmogs
                Slayer Supporter
                Last edited by vampmogs; 04-11-09, 11:36 AM.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

And essentially we are back to the three Scoobies. That's very much Season 8 minus Giles.
                  -TP<3
                  "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                  - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                    I think it seems somewhat like season 1 in the sense that there was a huge break during which we have no idea what happened (like the movie and season 1).
                    Sorry, but I have to point out that the movie and season 1 take place in different universes. The people who make the season 8 = season 1 remark might be referring to this (i.e. they are saying that s8 takes place in a different universe everything that came before it), of course, but given the number of people who fail to realise the above, I doubt that somehow.
                    Anon
                    Hellmouth Tourist
                    Last edited by Anon; 11-08-08, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                      It's easy to rationalise it as that for those who aren't getting their own way...

LJ is pretty negative about season 8 in general, aside from a few exceptions. Each to their own an’ all but I do find some comments posted on there more than a tad hypercritical and it seems like there’s double standards when it comes to season eight.

I'm pretty sure the season one comments are meant to be negative, it's certainly what I've gathered from the context. I've viewed some saying they were going to treat season 8 like they would season one before the comic even came out, I don't think some were that interested to really give it a go at all. Shrugs.
                      First off I've never seen it called 'season one' myself. Secondly Calling some folks genuine concerns about season 8 'hypercritical' is a bit rich. It's the easy way to just blindside other peoples genuine criticisms of this series just by labeling them all 'Spike fans' (ha as if that meant anything) or those who just aren't getting their own way or who don't want to give it a chance.

Many Buffy fans on lj started buying this series when it first came out, but slowly got more and more disillusioned with it as time went on, till now it has a very small presence in online fandom over there. Most of the active side of the fanbase have either gone elsewhere or have just chosen to ignore it. I think most were disappointed with the whole 'Buffy rebooted' feel to it, and Joss's desire to ignore filling in the gaps between the end of Chosen and now. Because of that some felt it was even more cut off from the original series, which I agree didn't help matters. Especially those who were new to the comic medium who this was a 'brave new world' in more ways then one.

I never, ever thought we'd see Spike or Angel in this thing, and yet I still bought it, and read it. My concerns with it are due to a number of factures which all revolve around character development and plotting.

If people have a problem with the comics then thats upto them surely?

Some people online are just going to have to get used to the idea that not everyones embracing these comics with the same gusto as others and think that season 8 isn't quite as wonderful as some keep pointing out.
                      sueworld
                      Banned
                      Last edited by sueworld; 11-08-08, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                        First off I've never seen it called 'season one' myself.
                        Hmm, I must try and find the link. It's someone's livejournal...she also does reviews of AtF. I don't think she really dislikes season 8 though, so it's not necessarily from a slamming-it perspective... she just thinks it's very different from the show. Or maybe she does dislike it...but anyway, the point being, she wasn't calling it season one of Buffy, but season one of a completely new show. I guess, like a spin off of Buffy?

But there may be people who are calling it season one too, not sure.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I'm afraid I have to agree with her then. Most of this feels like a very new show to me. Parts of it completely unrecognizable as the series I once loved.

But If others love it, well thats more then fine by me.

At least some form of the Buffyverse is still out there for folks to talk about which must be a good thing.

Comment

I'm afraid I have to agree with her then. Most of this feels like a very new show to me. Parts of it completely unrecognizable as the series I once loved.

But If others love it, well thats more then fine by me.

At least some form of the Buffyverse is still out there for folks to talk about which must be a good thing.
                            It is a different show. I was thinking about this earlier at work: Buffy the Comic is more like LOST than the TV show that preceded it. One thing I didn't like about the show was that it stuck to a formula and never deviated from it. Every year we had a Big Bad, an attempted apocalypse, and a few filler episodes. That was all. Now we have a huge story with set in different times, with all sorts of characters. It's daunting for former Buffy fans. I think we should have been eased into this sort of thing. Maybe season eight should have been something else and season nine dealing with Twilight. Because if the end of magic isn't adverted then this will be the last season of Buffy...

Comment

Buffy the Comic is more like LOST than the TV show that preceded it.
                              Oh blimey, maybe that explains why I don't think much of it then.

Every year we had a Big Bad, an attempted apocalypse, and a few filler episodes.
                              Oh dear, thats rather a large oversimplification really. Each season had far more going for it plot wise then that. Thats what made it such compelling viewing for me at least.

Now we have a huge story with set in different times, with all sorts of characters.
                              And there's the problem. So far It's too crowded and too muddled in places in my opinion. Not seemingly helped by Joss's desire to still ignore filing in large sections of back story, character motivation and plot.

Yes, it's all probaly going to lead somewhere (I bloody well hope so after all that!) but for some it's all unwound far too slowly and with too many gaps in logic.

I've stopped buying them, but instead borrow them from a friend now as I'm not that bothered If I read an issue on time anymore, but I hope at the end of all this some original idea will arise that will have made it all worth it, and show those who didn't read it just what they missed.
                              sueworld
                              Banned
                              Last edited by sueworld; 11-08-08, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Similar to season one? Really? Although I regard season eight as its individual season for numerous reasons, I do see some slight parallels to season four and seven. For instance, the alliance between the government and demons, how the government perceive Slayers, Buffy's struggle leading powerful women, Willow's control of her powers post-Dark, etc. If anything, I would say season eight is what season four and seven knocked for but not out of the park (due to budget costs, strained schedules).
                                sigpic

Comment

Some people online are just going to have to get used to the idea that not everyones embracing these comics with the same gusto as others and think that season 8 isn't quite as wonderful as some keep pointing out.
                                  Believe it or not, Sue, we all "get" that. Thing is, some of us who aren't in complete denial also "get" that there's an annoying cluster of posters all over the 'net who went into this with the attitude that it was gonna suck, long before the first issue was ever written, let alone hit the shelves. On usenet, they call'em trolls.
                                  "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

On usenet, they call'em trolls.
                                    Or just people with opinions different from your own.

Folks on lj at least seemed more then up for this series when it was first announced.
                                    sueworld
                                    Banned
                                    Last edited by sueworld; 12-08-08, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Or just people with opinions different from your own.
                                      Ri-ight. Believe what you want, but there's a big difference between people who post honestly held opinions and those who just try to stir up as much trouble as they can in as many places as they can find to post. I really didn't think it took a rocket scientist to tell the difference, but maybe I was wrong...

Comment

What does it mater what others think or say? you're enjoying it, so great.

The comic seems to be selling well, so what damage is being done by a few folks not liking it and saying so? In all fandoms you very rarely have everyone agreeing with everything or sharing some kind of weird 'hive mind'.

It's not harming sales, you're still buying it, and others folks are still loving it, so end of story I would have thought.
                                        sueworld
                                        Banned
                                        Last edited by sueworld; 12-08-08, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X