Buffy 8.14 "Wolves at the Gate", Part III Spoiler Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy 8.14 "Wolves at the Gate", Part III Spoiler Discussion Thread

Dark Horse has released a preview of the next issue.

Buffy 8.14 Preview

Spoiler:
    Very cool and creepy way to jump into the second half of the arc, with Aiko strung up on the side of a Tokyo building... these vamps would make Angelus proud.
    KingofCretins
    What?
    Last edited by KingofCretins; 01-05-08, 11:59 PM.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

BTW KoC your link brings us to the last page of the preview. Not that it matters, I was just letting you know.

Spoiler:
    Why does Buffy always have to cut down the bodies?! Someone else needs to start doing it. This girls done it way too many times. So apparently after cutting down the girl Buffy ends up with a mummy. Huh. Didn't expect that. We'll see what happens I guess.
    T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

Spoiler:
      That was creepy, and the mummy thing is a little bit weird. But it's a nice preview, it predicts a good issue.

Comment

Spoiler:
        Oooh, very chilling. I actually gasped out loud. So far, so very good. Of course, if she follows this with an "everyone sucks but me" speech, then all bets are off. But I have hope. Also, I wonder how this is going to tie in with Dracula? You can't really have a 'funny' Xander/Renee/Dracula scene right after Aiko's just been brutally slaughtered, y'know? So *crosses fingers* maybe all of the Xander-buttmonkey scenes are done with.
        The story's kinda bland. It's about this guy named Dumbledore Calrissian who needs to return the ring back to Mordor.

Comment

Does everything really need to be in spoiler boxes when the thread title itself says 'spoiler'? But anyway:

Spoiler:
          1. The page where Buffy carries Aiko's body past the other people into what I assume is their Japanese base is very reminiscent of the similar scene in Fray. If the next panel starts with her saying "I have something to say" we'll know it's deliberate.

2. On the first page, someone standing close to Buffy is reading out the Japanese text and translating it into English. Given that Satsu is stood right next to Buffy in the next panel, I think it's pretty obvious who that was. Which does answer one question that cam up a while ago: Satsu is not only of Japanese ethnicity, she speaks Japanese. (There was speculation that she might be Asian-American or similar rather than an actual Nihonjin.)

Comment

It's about damn time we have a preview. Ah, but at least there's only less than a week 'til its release.
            Originally posted by LaJaula View Post
            Oooh, very chilling. I actually gasped out loud. So far, so very good. Of course, if she follows this with an "everyone sucks but me" speech, then all bets are off.
            I think we can all agree that at this point in the story, "everybody sucks but me" is the last thought on Buffy's mind. It's more like "I, and only I, suck." But, honestly man, poor Buffy. She's being given equal number of guilt trips -- if not more -- than she got in season five. It's ashamed none of her Scooby friends are having any heart-to-heart talks about her issues. Xander didn't give her much comfort in "Anywhere But Here" with his "maybe you're not supposed to feel it." I guess that's why she turned to Satsu...
            sigpic

Comment

Wow. Just wow.

Spoiler:
              I was actually pretty moved by those pages. They were horrifying and I agree with King, Angelus would be proud. Seeing Buffy carrying Aiko's corpse was horrifying, and seeing the expressions on all the other slayer's faces was just terrible.

Also answers another question where more of Buffy's stolen money went, those slayers are living in pretty fancy digs.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Stormwreath, it's my own habit, not like site policy -- even on a spoiler thread, I usually spoiler until the book itself is out, just for the sake of the mis-clickers. After it's released, they're on their own in a spoiler thread, IMO.

As psyche-out ploys go, it's really awesome. Now I'm really torn... I don't know if I want Toru and the gang to just be one offs, they are pretty cool looking.

Now, I do have to wonder something, and it goes along with my "Angelus would be proud remark" -- (spoilers for 8.17 cover)
                Spoiler:
                if that really is Drusilla on the Jeanty cover with Harth... this is the kind of thing that has her fingerprints all over it. It does make me wonder if she's coming back as some sort of prominent figure this season.
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

Poor Buffy. I also gasped at the preview, total deja vu from 'Get It Done'. I thought this arc was going to suck but those first pages have pulled me in emotionally and Im really looking forward to it now

And Im also expecting a speech but I know it wont be of the 'everbody sucks' variety. Buffy is gonna deinately feel like she hasnt changed the world at all
                  allthings
                  Hellmouth Tourist
                  Last edited by allthings; 02-05-08, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Oh god.
                    Spoiler:
                    That brought tears to my eyes. The silent panels were beautiful. Reminds me of something I cannot remember. Oh, I know! Siegfried's funeral. Doo doo, do dooooo do do do do doooo. Ok, I'm singing it to myself.[/randomwagner]

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Nice opening, a level of creepy that we haven't get achieved this season, which is very good. For all his faults, it looks like Goddard can still do creepy well.

Spoiler:
                      Wonder how long Toru was up there? I'm amazed no one noticed before Buffy and Co.

Now to touch on what Stormwreath said about no knowing that Satsu is a native, we kinda knew that since #11, in the scene where we saw Satsu getting her powers she was pretty clearly in a Japanese school uniform, (though Japanese high schools don't have lockers as such). So since then I have been of the impression that they are at least trying to make her authentic japanese. I still say she would have had to live in the US for a few years to speak english as well as she does.

I have hope for this arc again, last issue was rather bleh, but here's hoping we get some cool stuff from the issues that remain, and that the pace picks up a bit. I mean less happens per issue in these than in NFFY!

Comment

Originally posted by bishopcruz View Post
                        So since then I have been of the impression that they are at least trying to make her authentic japanese. I still say she would have had to live in the US for a few years to speak english as well as she does.
                        No need for that. I know many who speak perfect English, with an American accent as well, and they had never set a foot in America. American movies, songs and novels were the reason they spoke English so well.

Three more preview pages for season 8 #14 have been added to the ones released yesterday.

Sosa lola
                        Last edited by Sosa lola; 02-05-08, 10:07 PM.
                        Made by Trickyboxes
                        Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Spoiler:
                          1. Poor Buffy. She looks so upset and lonely.
                          2. Awwww, to Willow's, "And Xander!"
                          3. Where's Renee? Running behind, I guess.
                          4. I really don't know what to think about Drac's last comment. I hope we're supposed to be disgusted with him, not laugh, because....that's not funny.
                          5. Dracula looks kinda like Johnny Depp.
                          The story's kinda bland. It's about this guy named Dumbledore Calrissian who needs to return the ring back to Mordor.

Comment

Originally posted by LaJaula View Post
                            Spoiler:

4. I really don't know what to think about Drac's last comment. I hope we're supposed to be disgusted with him, not laugh, because....that's not funny.
                            Spoiler:
                            I laughed. Is that bad? Come on, it's a comic. They're not always supposed to be serious. Especially in Buffy. There's always funny moments in very serious ones. Or I just laugh at inappropriate times, it is possible.

I'm liking it so far. Not really used to seeing the actual comics pages since I'm a transcript reader but they look pretty good. I still don't know why they wrapped her up like a mummy though. I mean there are many ways to wrap a body up but why would you spend time to put a wrap around it like a mummy?

Comment

Thanks for the extra pages Sosa!

Spoiler:
                              That's a nice seen between Buffy and Willow. People have wondered if Willow even likes Buffy anymore and I think this shows that she still does.

Poor Buffy, she looks really broken up over this. The writers are doing such a better job with her this season. Some were wondering if we were going to get a "everybody sucks but me" speech, but I doubt it. She looks really upset and is showing her emotions which is always a good thing, she's not trying to hide how she feels. So kudos for Buffy.

And Drac's comment about Aiko's body... I think it was meant to be disgusting and humorous in that really dark kinda way. But they're trying to show that he's very much the evil bastard he's meant to be. I'm happy for that, I didn't want the writers to forgot their dealing with a vampire here.

Also I agree that it was sweet to see Willow's enthusiastic "and Xander!'

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Me, I think it's adorable the way Willow...
                                Spoiler:
                                sniffs her armpits after Dracula accuses her of having an "acrid stench". Poor Willow...

Comment

Ahhh, I love Willow. She's so adorable in these pages. I'm really feeling the Scooby Core reassembling themselves. The season began with just Xander and Buffy, Willow's drifting herself back in (not easily though), and Giles.... well, he's coming up, I'm sure! I like this season.

And I'm also loving Dracula's suit. That's what I'm talking about! Ditch that tacky cape, and go for the high-class Victorian suit. Honestly, had he been dressed that way in "Buffy VS. Dracula," I might have enjoyed the episode...

I'm liking this arc alot already! Although does anyone find this arc to be very Jane Espenson-esque? I feel like it does -- partially because it's a Buffy comedy episode which is Espenson's style, as opposed to Goddard's. Oh, well, like I said, I like it so far.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Hey guys. Got back from Europe yesterday, just read #13 and the new preview.
                                    Also loved Willow in 13 and what we've seen of 14. I'm a bit confused because Buffy's doing the wrong thing then the right thing a lot this series. Can't get an idea of what's going on with her. Also loving Dracula's presence, funny and arch.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Something I was thinking about after 8.13 appears to have come to fruition in these preview pages. The "Angelus would be proud" moment? Absolutely confirms that Toru *wanted* Buffy to come, and likely wanted her to come in force. Lambs to the slaughter, ducks in a barrel, mass de-Slayerization neat as you please. The plan anyway, but no idea if it's going to happen in full or in part. I'm still in the school of thought that it would be sorta cool if Joss brought the Slayer population way down. It sort of tracks with the season so far -- I think of the prologue summaries as having thematic and narrative purpose, and in the first several it seemed to always point to the estimated number of Slayers in the world. To quote the great American philosophers Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar, "it seemed extraneous at the time".
                                      sigpic
                                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                                        Something I was thinking about after 8.13 appears to have come to fruition in these preview pages. The "Angelus would be proud" moment? Absolutely confirms that Toru *wanted* Buffy to come, and likely wanted her to come in force. Lambs to the slaughter, ducks in a barrel, mass de-Slayerization neat as you please. The plan anyway, but no idea if it's going to happen in full or in part. I'm still in the school of thought that it would be sorta cool if Joss brought the Slayer population way down. It sort of tracks with the season so far -- I think of the prologue summaries as having thematic and narrative purpose, and in the first several it seemed to always point to the estimated number of Slayers in the world. To quote the great American philosophers Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar, "it seemed extraneous at the time".
                                        Wasn't there like a quote somewhere that said the slayer line would take a big hit? That quote makes perfect sense if this is in fact what they're going to do. The whole "Lambs to the slaughter" seems to be what's happening. Although, are all the slayers meeting up in Japan? If so, that doesn't make too much sense tbh. I understand they're up against a major opponent (since the villain has the scythe) but I don't think it would be that great of an idea to bring everyone there.

Is there any news on Dawn yet? You know, how she will get to Japan, is she prego's? 'Cause you know these are important questions that need to be answered. Hopefully they'll be answered soon. I'm still banking on her arriving there like Falkor from the Never Ending Story. Just wait, it'll happen. *nods*

Comment

Working...
                                        X