8.17 "Time of Your Life" Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.17 "Time of Your Life" Covers

So we don't have a preview for 8.14 (still!), but we do have the covers for the second part of "Time of Your Life."

Jo Chen Cover
    Georges Jeanty Cover

I love Chen's cover. Although, what exactly are Buffy and Fray standing on? A glass floor?
    And who's that guy on Jeanty's cover? Warren and Amy? Oh, and praise the lord, we still have vampires -- and lots of 'em!
    sigpic

Originally posted by Weredog View Post
    So we don't have a preview for 8.14 (still!), but we do have the covers for the second part of "Time of Your Life."

Jo Chen Cover
    Georges Jeanty Cover

I love Chen's cover. Although, what exactly are Buffy and Fray standing on? A glass floor?
    And who's that guy on Jeanty's cover? Warren and Amy? Oh, and praise the lord, we still have vampires -- and lots of 'em!
    That fish dude that Fray works for lives under a glass floor, presumably that's where they are?

EDIT: yes it is, just scrolled down and you can see him
    Last edited by Wolfie Gilmore; 18-04-08, 06:09 PM.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I don't think that is Amy and Warren on the Jeanty's cover, I mean, I get where you're coming from because Amy and Warren did sort of just disappear, but where would Warren have got his skin from?
      For some reason, I know the girl is shadowy, but I want to say Drusilla.
      I mean for the first reason nobody knows what happened to Drusilla after she was in Crush in season 5 and it'd be just like her to either live until that future time or to find somebody who could send her into the future. For the second reason her dress looks kind of Drusilla-like and the third being the vampires at their feet.

Then again it could be two completely new characters, but I don't get why they would draw them on the cover unless people knew who they were.
      sigpic

Comment

I've never read Fray, but didn't she had an evil little brother? Maybe he is the one on the cover?

I love the covers, but the Chen one looks different, I love it ... but somethings looks different as the other Chen covers. Maybe it's just me.
        And I love Buffy's clothes on that cover.
        Last edited by Nina; 18-04-08, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
          I never read Fray, but didn't she had an evil little brother? Maybe he is the one on the cover?
          Yes, that's him. Reminds me of Tim from the Books of Magic.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

it looks like the creature from the black lagoon meets p.t. barnum's fiji mermaid. lmao.

it really looks like warren and amy to me (even amy's shadowed face). though warren looks like he's been turned into a pre-teen version of himself. if that's fray's brother, hey, maybe fray's some future ancestor of warren and amy or the brother is some reincarnation of warren. they look alike.
            Last edited by NileQT87; 18-04-08, 09:57 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
            "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

That is Harth Fray on the Jeanty cover. Here's the bullet points on him --
              Spoiler:
              he is a vampire, was turned before Fray even knew what a vampire (or "lurk") was, let alone what she was. And he has an extraordinary power no vampire has ever enjoyed. He is Fray's fraternal twin, and as such, inherited part of the Slayer legacy -- he possesses the collective memory and heritage of the Slayer line, as well as the prophetic dreams. Fray doesn't have that, only the physical attributes.

It's a little unclear who's on the cover *with* him. The only guess I have, based on the style of dress... and this is going to sound full-on nutty, but *awesome*...
              Spoiler:
              Drusilla?
              sigpic
              Banner by LRae12

Comment

The guy in Jeanty's cover looks so much like Oz.

Covers For Buffy Season 8 #17 and interview with assistant editor Sierra Hahn about the Time Of Your Life arc.

Comic Book Resources > CBR News: NYCC: Into the Fray - Hahn talks new "Buffy" arc

NYCC: Into the Fray - Hahn talks new "Buffy" arc

by Emmett Furey, Staff Writer

Fri, April 18th, 2008 at 8:18AM PST

Updated: Fri, April 18th, 2008 at 8:25AM PST

"Buffy" fans recognized the weapon that was stolen from the vampire slayer in the pages of "Buffy: Season 8" #12 as the slayer scythe that was bequeathed to her at the end of season seven of the TV series. Die-hard "Buffy" fans recognized it as the scythe wielded by future slayer Melaka Fray in the pages of the Joss Whedon penned "Fray" comic book mini series published by Dark Horse in 2001. And where the slayer scythe goes, Fray is not far behind. CBR News spoke with "Buffy: Season 8" assistant editor Sierra Hahn about the upcoming Buffy/Fray crossover.

It all begins with "Buffy" #16, the first installment of Joss Whedon's four issue arc entitled "Time of Your Life." "Willow's been given some intriguing information that involves Buffy, the Scythe, and New York City," Hahn said. "Adventure and chaos ensue and Buffy finds herself in the presence of one Melaka Fray." Hahn wasn't allowed to say much more than that, but she did reveal that Season 8 regulars Kennedy and Violet are featured prominently in the story, as are familiar faces from the "Fray" comics.

The events in the "Fray" comics take place hundreds of years after Buffy Summers' turn as the slayer. One of the major threats in "Buffy: Season 8" is a future without magic, and come Fray's time, that future has come to pass. "‘Time of Your Life' will get closer to figuring out what happened in the past that created Fray's future," Hahn said. "The death of magic would not only put an end to multiple Slayers, but all Slayers." Indeed, when Fray takes the mantle as slayer, no one had held that title for hundreds of years.

At the heart of "Fray" is the dysfunctional relationship between Melaka Fray, her twin brother Harth, and their sister Erin. To begin with, Melaka and Erin are on different sides of the law: Erin is a police officer and Melaka is a petty thief. On top of that, Erin has harbored resentment against Melaka for years for her part in the death of their brother. But Erin and Melaka come to realize that Harth had not been murdered as they had long believed: Harth had, in fact, been turned, by a lurk (more commonly known as a vampire). From Fray's perspective, the events in "Time of Your Life" take place after those of the "Fray" mini-series. "In this arc, Fray knows she's the Slayer, who or what her brother, Harth, has become, and has a much more functional relationship with her big sis, Erin," Hahn confirmed.

Ever since Whedon and artist Karl Moline co-created the character of Melaka Fray, the pair have been chomping at the bit to return to her world. "Returning to ‘Fray' was something both Joss and Karl wanted to do, but it needed to be the right time," Hahn said. "When Joss and series editor, Scott Allie, first began discussing the series they knew Fray would play an important part in Season 8. Then they had to determine when in the storyline Buffy and Fray would meet and how much would need to happen in Buffy's world before we could really get the two together. We've been working on this arc since September, but it was planned out long before issue #1 went on sale."

Hahn said there are many layers to being an assistant editor. "You're constantly having to change gears according to the work coming in, and the work going out," Hahn said. Hahn's duties include, but are not limited to, proofreading, continuity, deadline management, and word-balloon layout. "In the midst of all of that, I'm also writing solicitation copy, mapping out collected editions of the comics, and writing back-jacket copy. Then it begins all over again. It can be hard work, but also a ton of fun. I mean, hello, I get to work on ‘Buffy' comics!"

"We're all psyched to be re-visiting Fray," Hahn said. "Getting to see her and Buffy duke it out is weirdly thrilling. They're both so tough, so smart, and just... cool. Fray is such a fun character with her own unique style and way of speaking that she leaves a lot of room for both Joss and Karl to play." Hahn said there aren't currently any plans in place for Fray stories after "Time of Your Life," but she suspects this won't be the last fans see of the future slayer. "Buffy: Season 8" #16 his stands on July 2nd.

Cover art for Buffy #17

Alternate cover for Buffy #17

Made by Trickyboxes
                Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  It's a little unclear who's on the cover *with* him.
                  Dude, even though I know it's impossible because of the way she died, but then again, it IS the Whedonverse, wouldn't it be so awesome if it was
                  Spoiler:
                  Loo??

OH and in light of this crossover, I'm going to be doing some Fray comic scans on Mirror Mirror soon if anyone is interested

Comment

i think i really need to attempt to read fray again. i never could get into it. i'm reading it now.

it's definitely harth. fish-boy is gunther. i'm not sure the girl is erin (and that's not loo--two arms).
                    Last edited by NileQT87; 19-04-08, 12:31 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

I like both covers. Makes me wonder, though, if maybe Fray's brother is actually Twilight...

Comment

Is that a creature from "Go fish"? Warren looks happy (yep, he's got some skin, congrats).
                        Adam: "These are lies. [throws S8 comics in the trash] None of this is real. The world has been changed. It's intriguing but it's wrong."
                        Vampire: "Feels ok to me."
                        Adam: "You're under his spell just like the others. I seem to be the only one who is not." (c) 4.17 Superstar.

Comment

Way to not read the thread, Ntshpp. As has been made clear a couple times, the "fish" is Gunther, Fray's employer (if you watched "Firefly" without being just as negative, Gunther is Badger to Fray's Mal). The boy you see on the Jeanty cover is Fray's vampire brother, Harth.

Seriously, if you've read "Fray" and come away with it with that kind of hostility, you never were much of a Whedon fan. Indifference, *maybe*, outright disdain, impossible. "Fray" is one of the top 2 or 3 stories he's ever told.
                          sigpic
                          Banner by LRae12

Comment

It's so cool to see Buffy standing there on the glass floor with Fray. It's something that stuck out when i read Fray awhile ago and I never imagined Buffy would be there someday. So nifty*

Comment

*facedesk* totally forgot about Loo's one-armedness (that's so a word now.)

The girl couldn't be Erin. Erin isn't a little girl. Though I do hope to see her again! GAH! I'm so excited for this. I love the Chen cover, it's great to have her back. She really captures Buffy.

Also, Harth couldn't be Twilight. Again, too young.

Comment

Originally posted by NimNams View Post
                                I like both covers. Makes me wonder, though, if maybe Fray's brother is actually Twilight...
                                Fray's brother can't be Twilight for one simple reason. He was born WAY WAY WAY after and became a vampire way after. Impossible unless he timed travle.

I am looking forward for this one. Buffy season 8 so far has one of the best plot lines since season 5.

Josh.

Click for art and tomfooleries

Comment

Originally posted by ntshpp View Post
                                  Is that a creature from "Go fish"? Warren looks happy (yep, he's got some skin, congrats).
                                  I have no idea why you would even begin to surmise that was Warren. At no time has Warren ever worn glasses. And as you noted, he's skinless.

Comment

Sure, I heard something about comics named "Fray". Never read it though.

What if Whedon made this crossover arc only to get attention to his previous comics "Fray"? Maybe, in future, we will see issues where Buffy meets River! Excellent idea Joss, that will certainly boost the "Firefly" sales!

I'm telling you, this guy is totally sold out!
                                    Adam: "These are lies. [throws S8 comics in the trash] None of this is real. The world has been changed. It's intriguing but it's wrong."
                                    Adam: "You're under his spell just like the others. I seem to be the only one who is not." (c) 4.17 Superstar.

Comment

Originally posted by ntshpp View Post
                                      What if Whedon made this crossover arc only to get attention to his previous comics "Fray"? Maybe, in future, we will see issues where Buffy meets River! Excellent idea Joss, that will certainly boost the "Firefly" sales!
                                      "Fray" has the license to appear in "Buffy" and vice versa simply because they share the same universe. "Buffy, "Buffy: Movie," "Angel", "Buffy comics", "Angel comics" all share the same universe, and crossover merely expand this universe.

"Firefly" on the other hand doesn't share the same universe as the Buffyverse. Therefore, crossovers would not be deemed rational.
                                      sigpic

Comment

I think that's mainly not from "same universe" stuff, but from "same copyrights". Angel and Spike are blood and flesh of buffyverse, but alas?

Comment

Working...
                                        X