X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wolves at the Gate, Part 2" Covers

Georges Jenty Cover
    Jon Foster Cover

If you look at Jeanty's cover, it very much looks like Dracula! Looks like Drac's back in the Buffyverse. Nice!
    sigpic

Dude, I'm excited about the blurb! Gives me hopes for a non-traitor Xander!

I agree, that really does look like Dracula on the variant, but he's hardly an old ally -- I'm thinking we get Dracula *and* Oz! Xander makes the most sense to reach out to either of them, though. He was Drac's minion, buttmonkey or not, and things with Willow and Oz would be awkward, he and Buffy weren't that tight, but Xander and Oz were almost hetero lifemates in Season 3 and Season 4.
    sigpic
    Banner by LRae12

Comment

Oz coming back would be awesome! But I doubt he will. Simply because that would just add more eggs to Willow's basket. I mean, we only found out in the last issue that she's still very much in love with Kennedy. The Willow/Tara and Willow/Kennedy 'ship fans are divided as they are. Bringing Oz back, even if he doesn't rekindle with Willow, would just split fans even more. I think it's just a little too early for Oz to come back, in terms of "where" Willow is emotionally.

And I also hope that the ubervamps the blurb refers to are not the Turok-Hans. I thought they were great in season 7, but I want new villains.
      sigpic

Comment

Um... Willow/Tara isn't coming back. She's allowed to have a relationship, and she's in love with Kennedy. I'm okay with them now. And we've been promised Oz! So I'll take Oz sooner than later. I'm really hoping that, in true comic form, he's mastered the wolf in him enough to change on demand.

I doubt it's turok-han... the 8.12 blurb mentioned unusual powers or something, and they've seen turok-han.
        sigpic
        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Okay, um, does Xander not change his clothes now? He's like a cartoon character.

My guess: It's Oz. The vampires have a special power, probably something to do with wolves, so, he recruits Oz to help them understand them (Wolves) better.

Comment

Well, considering "Tales of the Vampires" is canon, Dracula IS an old ally of Xander's. He loved Xander in that story. And... Joss said he was going to address the TotV Xander story in question. So Dracula is most definitely the old ally, IMO. Would explain the "torn-looking-Xander" on the main cover which, by the way, is the worst 'main cover' we've seen so far in the series. Sorry, Foster.

Comment

Originally posted by patxshand View Post
              Would explain the "torn-looking-Xander" on the main cover which, by the way, is the worst 'main cover' we've seen so far in the series. Sorry, Foster.
              I don't think it's the worst cover we've seen so far in the series, personally. It's really gorgeous with the colors and backgrounds and the poses. Everything is perfect...except for the likeness of Xander to Nicholas Brendon. That doesn't even bare a resemblence to NB at all. Which is really unfortunate since, like I said: I think the cover is super pretty otherwise. If Xander looked like...Xander, then this might be my favorite - or one of my favorite - covers.

As for the blurb, I'm pretty sure that they just mean that the old ally is Dracula. I wish Oz would be back for this arc but I think they're just saying that it's gonna be Dracula - which is slightly disappointing unless they give him a really good reason to be in the arc.
              wittyCOMEBACK: updated 10/2/10!

YAY! AFA'S! COME CELEBRATE WITH US!

Comment

Well, considering "Tales of the Vampires" is canon, Dracula IS an old ally of Xander's. He loved Xander in that story. And... Joss said he was going to address the TotV Xander story in question. So Dracula is most definitely the old ally, IMO. Would explain the "torn-looking-Xander" on the main cover which, by the way, is the worst 'main cover' we've seen so far in the series. Sorry, Foster.
                I've never seen Joss put the firm "this is what happens" stamp on either "Tales of..." like he did Season 8. I put them in the same grey area as "Asylum" or "Origins" -- only canon when adopted into the canon in other work. And, either way, Xander was his prisoner, right? I don't see how "Antique" or "Buffy vs. Dracula" fits describing him as an ally.

I agree with Heather, I like the cover. I think that's Buffy sitting and Willow standing in the background, though. Or, possibly, Dawn sitting, and that she might get de-giant-sized in 8.12 after tromping around Tokyo. But, aesthetically, I love the cover. Not the distance between Xander and the others, but I like the cover. The variant is whacky fun, too. At least Xander doesn't have to ride bitchseat like Angel always does
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  I've never seen Joss put the firm "this is what happens" stamp on either "Tales of..." like he did Season 8. I put them in the same grey area as "Asylum" or "Origins" -- only canon when adopted into the canon in other work. And, either way, Xander was his prisoner, right? I don't see how "Antique" or "Buffy vs. Dracula" fits describing him as an ally.
                  As far as "Origin," Joss has come out and said it can "pretty much be accepted as canon." As with "Tales of the..." I didn't know there was even debate over its canonical status. The slayers from TotS are shown in "The Chain." Joss has said he plans to address the events of "Antique." Why would he have to address anything if it was not canon?

Xander was a prisoner in "Antique" but, whether he was under a spell or not, he was sad to leave Dracula and Dracula was MORE than sad to see him go. Take that plus the two images we get with the #13 covers (torn looking Xander / Xander and Dracula riding together), then I think we can pretty much say that the ally is the Drac man.

Comment

Of course it is Dracula!

Ha ha. I'm happy he's considered an ally. Xander together with Dracula on a bike, it made me laugh. Though a petty Xander drive his own bike, it is just too funny to see it. He really should be in black leather though.

I don't have a clue who those six persons are on Jeanty's cover though. Probably the vampires with mysterious powers. It's too bad that he could draw that in more detail.

I don't expect Oz, sadly enough.

Comment

*really hopes "Antique" didn't have slashy overtones*

I just assumed it wasn't canon because, unless much more than a year and a half has gone by since "Chosen", I don't buy that Xander spent a YEAR with Dracula, let alone that Buffy would ignore that situation for A YEAR.
                      sigpic
                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

I think the regular cover is one of the most beautiful covers up till now. Also, even when taking in account ToS. He never really was an old ally. Ally is a wrong word in every sense of the meaning an old non-enemy thraller to Xander would be a better description...
                        It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion, maybe we'd know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank, without passion, we'd be truly dead.

Comment

Well, he's a de facto ally now -- unless he's already made a deal with Twilight, like Roden did, Dracula is on Buffy's side by default, because that's the only way the supernatural elements of the world are going to survive.
                          sigpic
                          Banner by LRae12

Comment

Well, he's a de facto ally now -- unless he's already made a deal with Twilight, like Roden did, Dracula is on Buffy's side by default, because that's the only way the supernatural elements of the world are going to survive.
                            It seems more Dracula's style to plainly ignore everything that's going on with Twilight and have his own fun until Twilight interfers with it. Plus this arc might not even be about Twilight at all. Super(I don't wanna use ?ber)vampires don't sound like Twilight at all, but maybe it's another one of his plottings. Anyway, why would Dracula wanna fight vamps like himself.
                            It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion, maybe we'd know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank, without passion, we'd be truly dead.

Comment

Hard to say -- but I think he'd know about Twilight, and not like it, not a classicist like him. He's very romantic about all the power and mystery of his own existence, as well as Buffy's. I'm pretty sure he'd be easy enough to convince to join against him... unless he already has made a deal and is in fact the Lando Calrissian of the Buffyverse, complete with the outfit.
                              sigpic
                              Banner by LRae12

Comment

Hard to say -- but I think he'd know about Twilight, and not like it, not a classicist like him. He's very romantic about all the power and mystery of his own existence, as well as Buffy's. I'm pretty sure he'd be easy enough to convince to join against him... unless he already has made a deal and is in fact the Lando Calrissian of the Buffyverse, complete with the outfit.
                                Right, I forgot about his obsession with Buffy. I think Buffy could probably persuade him to join them for a short while. The idea of hundreds of slayers probably excites him to his very core. Still he's not an old ally to me. As in old you know and why would they future him on the variant and not put him in the description anyway then. I don't see the use of being secretive about it, while putting it on the cover.

Comment

Well, it's Xander who apparently does the recruiting, according to the blurb. That makes sense since, if "Antique" is canon, then Xander has spent a long time hanging around with the Dark Master... bator. As long as Xander is being turned evil or made a buttmonkey, I'll take it Maybe Drac has some Buffy-wooing tips for him, since he has a pretty easy time of it.
                                  sigpic
                                  Banner by LRae12

Comment

Well, it's Xander who apparently does the recruiting, according to the blurb. That makes sense since, if "Antique" is canon, then Xander has spent a long time hanging around with the Dark Master... bator. As long as Xander is being turned evil or made a buttmonkey, I'll take it Maybe Drac has some Buffy-wooing tips for him, since he has a pretty easy time of it.
                                    I still think ally's the wrong word, either that and/or that I want Oz to come back. Oz is king of no emotions on face-having-coolness and being funny at the same time. Still buttmonkey =/= ally to me and what would be really cool, you know, Xander stepping up to Dracula and being a total unbuttmonkey!

Comment

Um... Willow/Tara isn't coming back. She's allowed to have a relationship, and she's in love with Kennedy. I'm okay with them now. And we've been promised Oz! So I'll take Oz sooner than later. I'm really hoping that, in true comic form, he's mastered the wolf in him enough to change on demand.
                                      Yes, I know Willow/Tara is very much dead. Well, Tara specifically.
                                      I was talking about the Willow/Tara 'shippers who are still out there believing the two will make it someday. And I was tying this to "Anywhere But Here" because it dealt with the couple. Scott Allie mentioned in one of the "No Future for You" issues that "Anywhere" was going to make Willow/Tara fans cry, so this confirms that Joss is fully aware that Willow/Tara 'shippers are out and about. But as we found out, "Anywhere" was more pro-Willow/Kennedy than it was Willow/Tara, but either way, we were fed with both. Which is why I would find it very unwise for Joss to bring Oz in the mix just two issues after "Anywhere."
                                      I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather see at least one more appearance of Kennedy before Oz returns and makes Willow gaga.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Doesn't bug me -- I want more Kennedy, too. She was very cool and sympathetic in that scene, and she's a Slayer, one of only a handful that were forged in Sunnydale, I think she's needed in this fight. Make her a regular, and Oz, too! Maybe they'll go Buffy/Oz after all, just to increase the Awkward! between Buffy and Willow Just kidding, but it was funny.
                                        sigpic
                                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Working...
                                        X