Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Beautiful Sunset

Hey

Thought I might as well start this thread for the upcoming episode of season 8. Yes I'm aware we've just had "Anywhere But Here" but figured it is never too early

Plus wanted somewhere, where I could post this link...

http://www.slayalive.com/index.cgi?a...ead=1199749857

BEWARE OF SLIGHT SPOILERS FOR ISSUE 11 AND ISSUE 12..

So thoughts on the comments on this issue and on Issue 12 are all welcome in this thread.

Firstly, do we think that Buffy will be betrayed in this issue as we saw in "Anywhere But Here" given how her clothes match those of the "A Beautiful Sunset" cover?

How badly are we thinking Twilight is going to kick her arse?

And... in relation to the article;

Spoiler:
    Any thoughts on why Jeanty thinks we'll be talking about Issue 12 for years?

Vampmogs

~ Banner by Nina ~

Well, I think Jeanty's comment is probably related to the other one he made about Joss "not being able to do that". Clearly we have a shock in store. It's looking more and more like it's going to be a Scoob betrayal in my eyes.

As for Twilight and Buffy's arse, it depends how much of a physical threat they want to make him, or is he supposed to be more of just a clever, manipulative type. It does look like Buffy's going to get a bit of a whipping from someone though.
    OkinawanSteel
    Hellmouth Tourist
    Last edited by OkinawanSteel; 08-01-08, 11:59 AM.

Comment

The 8.11 cover makes it pretty clear he's handing out the beating himself. I have no problem with him being both a considerable physical threat as well as a mastermind. I am going to guess and say he is probably between Angelus and Adam on the raw physical power scale. So, ranging from only about even with Buffy herself to marginally stronger.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

I don't know about anyone else but I sure do prefer to have Twilight's identity to be never revealed. It just adds a mystic quality to his strength.
        sigpic

Comment

Rather than start a new thread for it, I figured this was the place to do it -- what is your wishlist for 8.11? What storylines would you like advanced and what do you expect to get?

1. Some advancement of the Satsu-in-love-with-Buffy story. They are going to be alone together for the first time since 8.04, and I don't want this to just stew without any further development. Will Satsu cop to it? Will Buffy let her down easy? Will Buffy screw it up?

2. Some confirmation of further contact with Faith or Giles, even if just a mention, or to establish that they have the guidebook.

3. Twilight to be a complete badass

4. Some hints on the traitor's identity. Subtle ones, but just honest to goodness clues that we can debate, and not this feeling that it just isn't coming up.

5. Some Willow and Xander scene -- can't believe they haven't talked alone yet! Or at least some dialogue between Xander and Willow or Buffy about the events of "Anywhere But Here" (both of the stories).
          sigpic
          Banner by LRae12

Comment

You pretty much covered most of it

Unlike the last two standlones that we've gotten, I hope this one will advance the plot. Specifically, the Twilight deal. At this point, I feel like shouting at Joss "I get it! End of magic is comin'! Now answer the other questions!"

One thing that I liked about "Anywhere But Here" was it's excessive dosage of foreshadowing. I just know that ten issues from now, I'll re-read this issue and be like "Oh, right, we should've known!" Very much like "Restless" in a sense.
            However, I hope "A Beautiful Sunset" is NOT like that. Like I said, I want this one to take a good step forward in this season's arc. I'm fairly certain Twilight's identity won't be revealed in this issue (if ever it will be), but I want him to finally ground himself in the Buffyverse by kicking Buffy's ass like there's no tomorrow. I want to shit my pants scared after reading this issue.
            sigpic

Comment

This Twilight thing is quite confusing.
              So he/they aim to end the age of magic, which means; no demons, no magic, no slayer(s). In a way this is what Buffy has been fighting for, but not all demons are bad.. we're in this really gray area. Seems like Joss is saying you need to take the bad with the good, but you also can't let power corrupt you. Hm k, not so confused now.

For #11 .. I'm not sure. Some Xander/Willow/Buffy/maybe Giles (being in the same room talking) panels would be great. Haven't seen that in quite a while, but I doubt I'll be getting it.

Maybe some more hints as to what has been going on between now and Chosen.

Also yeah, this Satsu thing confirmed and or dealt with someway.
              sigpic

Comment

I doubt it'll happen, but how about this:

Satsu lets slip that she's in love with Buffy.

Buffy tries to let her down gently, but says it's not going to happen.

Satsu talks wistfully about not being able to be together with the person she loves.

Buffy agrees, and we get a flashback scene of Buffy dreaming about being together again with the man she loves more than anyone else in the world, but can't be with. And his name is... < fill in the blank here >...

Comment

You mean the man she can't be with because they share too much responsibility and she wouldn't want to undermine either of their authority in front of the 100 odd Slayers living under the same roof as them?

What? Shut up.

You know, I'm not saying actually have Buffy really retcon her sexuality -- doesn't make sense for her or for anyone else, narratively, or statistically -- but it *would* be interesting to have Satsu make so empassioned a case for Buffy's love that Buffy really doesn't know what to say, and they just leave it hanging from there for a while.
                  sigpic
                  Banner by LRae12

Comment

I wonder if there would be a temptation on Buffy's part, not because she has a bi-sexual bone in her body, but because she's feeling increasingly isolated from both the demon world and the human world. If she came to feel like only her sister Slayers can really understand her, then wouldn't that start to change the calculus for potential partners?

I'm not at all vested in that -- but I put it out as a possibility. The only non-Slayer she's not having issues with at the moment is Xander. But it looks like that might be set to change in the next few issues.

Stormwreath -- I like your scenario. Of course, how much I like it depends on whether or not the blank is filled in correctly. (hint: not with a brooding guy with a big forehead). But, somehow I doubt it's a scenario we're actually going to see.
                    sigpic
                    "I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." Banner Credit: Vampmogs

Comment

I did carefully leave that name blank in my scenario because I knew there'd be arguments about it otherwise.

ETA: and I can imagine them drawing a panel in the comic of Buffy in her dream-flashback snuggled blissfully against her lover's chest, his arms around her... and the panel cut off at the guy's neck so we can't see his face. Oh, the arguments there'd be as people tried to prove with screencaps and logic who it actually was holding her...

And yes, I really could imagine Buffy getting into a relationship with Satsu because she's lonely, and Satsu is in love with her and she values her supportiveness and doesn't want to upset her. And while Buffy isn't sexually attracted to Satsu at all, she's not squicked by the idea either (see what I posted above about her relationship with Willow) and so is willing to go through the motions because it means so much to Satsu.

And then Buffy meets a man she likes (either an existing or new character) and falls totally in love with him (or realises she's been in love all along, if the man in question is Xander ), and has to break the news to Satsu... resulting in heartache and misery and betrayal.

I'm not sure Joss would be willing to go there himself, but someone should definitely write the fic...
                      stormwreath
                      Hellmouth Tourist
                      Last edited by stormwreath; 12-01-08, 01:18 AM.

Comment

It sounds plausible, but it walks a fine line. You risk *really* pissing off some folk if they give the impression that Buffy is just moonlighting, or posing, or whatever a more specific slang term would be for just affecting being bisexual or lesbian.

Better for everyone if they just skip ahead to her and Xander being in love

Buffy/Satsu fic would be easier and more common if we got some more personality insight into Satsu.

ETA: and I can imagine them drawing a panel in the comic of Buffy in her dream-flashback snuggled blissfully against her lover's chest, his arms around her... and the panel cut off at the guy's neck so we can't see his face. Oh, the arguments there'd be as people tried to prove with screencaps and logic who it actually was holding her...
                        Oh, great... pages of discussion arguing over chest hair patterns and nipple position based on screencaps from "Beauty and the Beasts", "Go Fish", and "Showtime".
                        sigpic
                        Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post

Oh, great... pages of discussion arguing over chest hair patterns and nipple position based on screencaps from "Beauty and the Beasts", "Go Fish", and "Showtime".
                          *That* could be enough to totally put me off the comics.
                          sigpic
                          "I don't want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear." Banner Credit: Vampmogs

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                            Some Willow and Xander scene -- can't believe they haven't talked alone yet! Or at least some dialogue between Xander and Willow or Buffy about the events of "Anywhere But Here" (both of the stories).
                            This reminds me about another strange and offputting consequence of Xander apparently having been under Drac's thrall. It's not only weird that it would take Buffy a year to find and 'rescue' Xander. It's even more weird that Willow hasn't done anything at all. Sure, she has been gone a month. But, a) there's still a half year missing and b) probably none, because Willow has been gone for the past half year and she came back exactly on the right moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie View Post
                              *That* could be enough to totally put me off the comics.
                              I second that.

I would really like to see some Xander and Willow convo as well. Feel like it is the only thing really missing from the Scooby interaction so far this season. But I'm kinda getting the impression this arc is going to be a little Xander centric so maybe they'll have more time to give it to us.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Hello, first time posting, some-time lurker. Anyway, a question: Does anybody know of any longterm/diehard Willow/Xander 'shippers reading the comics? I'm not one, myself, but I remember when back in the day W/X was a massively popular 'ship and there were still some diehards hoping against hope as recently as Grave or the beginning of Season 7 that the story would end up with W/X. Or did the continued depiction of Willow as a lesbian finally kill it? Either way, I'm curious, as it's about the only old-school 'ship that doesn't get mentioned or discussed anymore; I've even seen more people request the return of Cordelia than I have seen mention W/X.

Comment

Well, I'm not a die-hard, longtime Xander/Willow 'shipper, but it's always one of my favorites in terms of things that I think could or should happen.

Right now, I'd say it's off the table. I still don't think anyone could very rationally argue that, at the very least, Xander and Oz are still guys who Willow could get into a lasting, happy relationship with. But, she's clearly still involved with Kennedy, and cares for her more than even in Season 7.

Xander/Cordy is another relationship that could have gotten relaunched very believably, but I don't see a way to bring Cordy back or any real chance that they would.
                                  sigpic
                                  Banner by LRae12

Comment

Let see...

I want Twilight to be Riley because Sam was cruelly killed by a Demon they were trying to track and now he just wants all demons dead. And he remembers his training with the Innitiative and this new Demon Hunting group he's been a part of since AYW (and before) is the new "Twilight" organization. Actually, that would count as a betrayal of Buffy as well... So it would end up NOT being one of the Scoobs!!

I want to know who the mole could be!!

What's up with the original Slayer potentials?? Vi?

KingofCretins - Oh, great... pages of discussion arguing over chest hair patterns and nipple position based on screencaps from "Beauty and the Beasts", "Go Fish", and "Showtime".
                                    No that would be "Wrecked", "Gone", "Dead Things"...

Another round of "My Favorite Fantasy" starring a blond vampire...
                                    -TP<3
                                    "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                                    - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Riley being Twilight would, to me, pretty much immediately put the mole blame right back on Renee, with the plausible reason being that she's related to Lt. Molter and cooperating (or being made to cooperate) to be spared by Twilight.

Poet, you've got a good feel on what the Riley motivation would look like if its him.

As far as the Slayers from Sunnydale, there were six that survived other than Buffy and Faith -- Vi, Rona, Kennedy, Shannon, Chao-Ahn, and Caridad.

Vi and Rona were both in "The Chain" -- Rona recruiting the decoy, and Vi appearing as Andrew's wife in the Slayer commercial. Kennedy, obviously, is still very much involved with Willow. The other three, we've never heard anything about.
                                      sigpic
                                      Banner by LRae12

Comment

I do hope Joss doesn't chose poor old Riley.

Apart from it would be the Buffyverse inequivalent of 'shooting fish in a barrel' it would be so unoriginal.

Comment

Working...
                                        X