Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In 8.39, why didn?t Xander pick up the Scythe and decapitate Angel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 8.39, why didn?t Xander pick up the Scythe and decapitate Angel?

This is based on the flashback in A&F 9.18.

I had assumed that Angel had immediately left the Seed Chamber after Xander 'brushes him off'.

Instead, Angel seems to have been in the Seed Chamber for at least minutes. And it was probably at least minutes before even Willow and/or Spike would have gone back in the Seed Chamber. And it's doubtful Willow would be against dusting Angel; we don't know about Spike (but arguably -- at the time -- he wouldn't be opposed to having Angel dusted).

Angel just murdered Giles and had been Twilight and is responsible for gargantuan death and destruction, the Scythe is mere feet from Xander, and Xander doesn't try to kill Angel?

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
    This is based on the flashback in A&F 9.18.

I had assumed that Angel had immediately left the Seed Chamber after Xander 'brushes him off'.

Instead, Angel seems to have been in the Seed Chamber for at least minutes. And it was probably at least minutes before even Willow and/or Spike would have gone back in the Seed Chamber. And it's doubtful Willow would be against dusting Angel; we don't know about Spike (but arguably -- at the time -- he wouldn't be opposed to having Angel dusted).

Angel just murdered Giles and had been Twilight and is responsible for gargantuan death and destruction, the Scythe is mere feet from Xander, and Xander doesn't try to kill Angel?
    The fact they showed this flashback in 9.18 is a sign they're not done with it and they're aware that we know about this Xander situation is at the center of it. Buffy is going to be forced to face it very soon.

Comment

He's a comfortador. /thread

No, in all seriousness, that is the answer. Xander's nature is not that of the guy that will make the choice of rage/vengeance over a competing interest for protection/comfort. He might choose them against the average, which would be how I'd describe, for instance, going after Spike in "Entropy", but let's say that right as he was about to go after Spike in "Entropy", Willow had collapsed and had a seizure and collapsed. That's what he would have dealt with.

Compare also "Revelation" -- as happy and righteous as he felt assisting Faith on an Angel hunt, it went immediately to the back burner behind Giles' safety and well-being.

Standing there amid the ruins of the world he knew -- Giles dead, Buffy... broken... is he going to finalize his ultimate "I told you so" by going after Angel, or is he going to tend to Buffy? The answer is obvious even when you ask the question. It's why I was never more than half-assedly interested in knowing if he tried to attack Angel or what he thought about Angel at the time at all, because I already knew. Now, if Buffy were rapidly cooling like Giles, he'd have tried to kill Angel. I dare say that if Buffy had been upright and composed, he probably would have tried to kill Angel. But with tending to her and going after Angel?

SNYDER: Are you a soldier?
      XANDER: I'm a comfortador.
      sigpic
      Banner by LRae12

Comment

Yeah, comforting Buffy would have been more of an immediate priority than dusting Angel. Simple as that, really. I do wonder when exactly Angel went catatonic. Was it in the cave and somebody had to drag him out?

Also, you mention Spike showing up and dusting Angel. Sorry, but Spike was in outer-space for weeks. Spike didn't get to give an opinion on whether Angel should be dusted for the same reason that he wasn't at Giles funeral: he was in space.

Comment

Working...
        X