Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffy Issue 10 sneak peak. Spoilers, thoughts, feelings, speculation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy Issue 10 sneak peak. Spoilers, thoughts, feelings, speculation?

Hey everyone

We've got a sneak peak at Buffy Issue 10 and the lucky winner of the Myspace contest who now has a role in the story. I'm not sure if this is a cover or a panel inside the book but it is quite amazing and drawn differently from what we've previously seen. Here is the link, scroll downwards and you'll see the panel of Buffy, Willow and the contest winner.

http://www.darkhorse.com/zones/buffy/editor.php

Thoughts and feelings anyone?
    Spoiler:
    Buffy, Willow and the new player seem to be in a field somewhere, kind of looks like a farm. I wonder if this is Scotland and the land surrounding the BHC or somewhere else?

I think Issue 10 is going to deal with Warren's return and how Willow is dealing with this and perhaps some of the things she has been up to on her travels? Are we thinking Willow has met this woman somewhere and developed a bond wth her? Are we thinking this woman will be a slayer, a witch, an ordinary person or something else?

We've been told that in Issue 10
    Spoiler:
    Joss wrote three pages over in dialouge for Buffy and Willow because he just couldn't stop, he loved them so much. I wonder what they'll be talking about? Apparently in an upcoming issue Buffy was supposed to "cry, hard" I'm thinking Issue 10 may be the issue for this to happen, there has been speculation this one is going to be a tear jerker? Perhaps Tara memories?

Enjoy, discuss

Vampmogs

~ Banner by Nina ~

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
    http://www.darkhorse.com/zones/buffy/editor.php

Thoughts and feelings anyone?
    Spoiler:
    Buffy, Willow and the new player seem to be in a field somewhere, kind of looks like a farm. I wonder if this is Scotland and the land surrounding the BHC or somewhere else?

I think Issue 10 is going to deal with Warren's return and how Willow is dealing with this and perhaps some of the things she has been up to on her travels? Are we thinking Willow has met this woman somewhere and developed a bond wth her? Are we thinking this woman will be a slayer, a witch, an ordinary person or something else?

We've been told that in Issue 10
    Spoiler:
    Joss wrote three pages over in dialouge for Buffy and Willow because he just couldn't stop, he loved them so much. I wonder what they'll be talking about? Apparently in an upcoming issue Buffy was supposed to "cry, hard" I'm thinking Issue 10 may be the issue for this to happen, there has been speculation this one is going to be a tear jerker? Perhaps Tara memories?

Enjoy, discuss

Vampmogs
    From what I remember the "lucky winner" is a woman with either mental or physical disabilities whose husband wrote in to say jossverse was her fantasy release and it had helped them all keep going. I think "deserving" is probably more accurate than "lucky" and the tears would arise from the RL character in the issue. We'll probably hear more from the comicstrip people, but an interview with Joss at the time made it clear how blown away he was by his RL character's courage and he made her more of a focus in the story than he originally intended. I'm leaving this out of spoilers because RL doesn't fit into spoilers, and I'm remembering I first got into BtVS because of a friend who watched it throughout surgery for cancer.
    Last edited by ferdy-m; 28-09-07, 09:34 AM.
    * supporting the WGA strikers *

Comment

I was wondering if anyone would have problems with the character of Robin (the myspace winner) if they didn't portray her in the way she is in real life? What I mean by this is that Robin in RL has a mental disability, I don't know what it is but she does have one and IMO it would feel a bit odd if she didn't have one in the comics? I'd prefer it if Joss added her into the season exactly how she was at least as foundations and then add other things on, like her being a slayer, a witch or whatever.

On a totally superficial level I'd find it equally as odd if a overweight person had won the contest and they had chose to draw her as skinny instead or the other way around. Would this offend anyone?

Of course the character isn't going to be exactly like Robin but I hope they portray her as realistically as possible.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Of course the character isn't going to be exactly like Robin but I hope they portray her as realistically as possible.
        Robin has schizophrenia and BPD - how real do we want our real to be? Do we want to see people as they have the potential to be - the hero in them - or do we want Joss to reinforce the image everyone has the winner's wife, Robin, as subject of pity?

It's an interesting mental challenge, which JW may or may not address, that Robin with her pitiful mental "disability" may actually be getting insights which us with our able-bodied squishy frontal lobes, are missing? In which case, I'd rather read about that than reinforce an image this woman and her family suffer enough from - a bright-eyed, oh-so-kindly-meant twitching at the net curtains of the lives of people who are "different."

For any creative work, I prefer to see the image challenged, not endorsed. For social disability benefit and parking spaces and making allowances generally, sure, bring on the face value, we need to be shocked into action. But as it's Joss, I'm sure we'll get some insight that'll help the winner's wife, everybody else who suffers from a mental disability, and a reminder that being "normal" is not all it's cracked up to be. In "Normal Again" JW came down on the side of not being normal - that if BtVS was a fantasy, it was a valid fantasy.
        * supporting the WGA strikers *

Comment

On a totally superficial level I'd find it equally as odd if a overweight person had won the contest and they had chose to draw her as skinny instead or the other way around. Would this offend anyone?
          Sidebar-stroke-rant, but...I think a lot of people are probably more accepting of mental disability (of certain kinds) than they are of obesity. EG when Kerry Katona said she was bipolar, no one gave a toss...but she puts on a couple of pounds? Outrage in the schlocky celeb rags!

[/endrant]

Anyway. I think a realistic portrayal of any person in a Buffy comic would be problematic, because part of Buffy is about the melodrama, the larger than life qualities. So I think there needs to be some tweaking of a real person to make them fit into the universe. As to portraying someone with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder (assuming that's what BPD is?)...it's tricky ground, but I hope they don't avoid it altogether. It depends on the severity of the disorder of course...I've got various friends who are bipolar, and while it gives them certain problems, it can also give you great creativity and energy. So it'd be interesting if they gave the woman a metaphorical power that's also a curse.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Valid points all and it is a dilemma. I think I'd like to see Robin with her diseases as Joss promised to give her a place in the season, not someone completely different who has the same name as her. However, I agree that she is going to be tweaked slightly, and needs to be to fit into the reality of Btvs. I personally believe Joss will make her a very important and influential character who will have a lasting impact on the season and our characters, I think Joss implied as much. It'd be interesting as you both have stated to make what we see as her 'weakness' into something incredibly powerful. I have a feeling that he character will be connected to Willow somehow and if this is the case I suspect she will teach our witch some important lesson or ability. Regardless of her role I have faith that Joss will show her in a good light and not just an object of our pity.

In her husband's shot essay he made mention of her connecting to Dru and later River and both were depicted as being very useful and strong women because of their thoughts and view on the world. It aided both characters, I suspect Joss will do the same with Robin.

Side note: If she is called Robin in the season, which I suspect she will be. Is this the first time in Btvs history that we've had two characters named the same with this Robin and Robin Wood?

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

well, we had buffy anne, anne steele, anne pratt--william's mother, anna the maid, anya--another form of said name...

liam and william are funnily enough, two forms of the same name.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
              "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

My guess is that Willow has spent the year using her power to help Robin. It'll be the Buffyverse version of the real life situation. Willow will represent the Buffyverse helping Robin.

Comment

Something makes me believe this storyline will be on the same level that Issue 5 was - a stand alone issue. This character will probably introduce someting to Slayer Inc and the Big 3 for this issue and then we won't really hear about her anymore but more about whatever aspect they introduce through her story. Perhaps she will elaborate on the difficulties the new Slayers have with their new roles and how they accept them.

I picture her perhaps like Dana. Someone with special abilities but with bigger real life problems. I'm very interested in how they will address her mental illness.
                  -TP<3
                  "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                  - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

Is anyone else totally jealous of Robin? .....Nope just me then
                    Not for the mental challenge of course, she totally deserves all the happiness this brings her and her husband, but yeah would be cool to be drawn along side Buffy I'll be interested to see how's she's worked into the story. AndI loved this quote from you ferdy-m:

In "Normal Again" JW came down on the side of not being normal - that if BtVS was a fantasy, it was a valid fantasy.
                    It has so many levels.
                    sigpic

Comment

We should probably close my thread now as KingofCretins has opened up a new one with a synopsis of what the issue will be about as well as the amazing cover for the issue. Future discussion would probably be better in there.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Working...
                      X