Giles & Buffy - The surrogate Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giles & Buffy - The surrogate Dad

I just love the relationship that builds between Giles and Buffy through out the series. I thought perhaps it would be fun to have a discussion thread about their relationship and how it affected them, their friends, Buffy's slaying, etc.

So, what were some of your favorite Buffy/Giles moments? How do you think their relationship effected the world of slaying? Please discuss!

One of my favorite Buffy/Giles moments was in Helpless when Travors fires Giles for having "a father's love for the child". It was so bittersweet because Buffy was mad at him and distrusting him for poisoning her, but yet I think she felt relief that somebody else affirmed the fact that Giles loved her like her father should have, and she was grateful for that, and returned that love at the same time that she was angry with him. It was so touching the way Giles started to help clean her woulds at the end...the look on Buffy's face really portrayed the conflicting emotions of anger and love, and it's one of my favorite Giles/Buffy scenes.
    sigpic

I like the "Helpless" moment with Buffy and Giles as well. It's the first time we really see Giles being "Father-like" with Buffy and Buffy reacting in such a way to say, "I love you, but right now I hate you."

I've always enjoyed their exchanges anyway. My favorite Buffy/Giles moment is during "Checkpoint" where Buffy is expected to perform like a trained poodle. Giles tries to help her as she fights, against Quentin's request. Then Buffy finally takes a stand and tells the Council that without her, they aren't needed. Giles coughs into his hand "retroactive"... priceless.

In season 4 when Giles discovers Maggie Walsh, he expresses a truly fatherly attitude about Buffy, but gets insulted when Maggie even suggests the idea that Buffy hasn't had a strong father figure in her life. I think that once Giles and Buffy accepted their roles, they fit quite well into each other's lives.

Giles plays the father to all the Scoobies, expressing disappointment with Willow when she misuses the dark magicks, then constantly reprimanding Xander (mostly in the earlier seasons) because his real father's love is for Buffy.

Despite all the drama, conflict, anger, love and hate, Giles will always be there for Buffy, much like any father would be for his real daughter. Buffy is as real a daughter as possibly could be to Giles, and vice versa.
    The good fight, yeah? You never know until you've been tested. I get that now. ~Doyle, "Hero"

Comment

oooh, I love all of those moments you pointed out Cordy C

Another one that comes to mind is in Flooded? I think when Giles gives Buffy money to pay her bills and she tells him it's the first time she's felt safe, kinda like having mom back...that is one of the sweetest Buffy/Giles daughter/father moments. He takes care of her both emotionally and financially which any good father would do.

Also, I loved that Giles was sensitive enough to Buffy's needs to think up a fake 'spell' to keep Acathla dormant in order to get her to talk about what happened with Angel. And then she finally opened up about it, and it really helped her. Then at the end when Willow was asking Giles if she could help with the spell, and he told her 'there is no spell'...I was like awwww...he so loves her and wants to take care of her. And that was pre-Helpless, too.
      sigpic

Comment

I agree with all the moments mentioned. Especially the Helpless one. It's so rare that the whole father/daughter thing is overtly pointed out like that. I mean, everyone knows it's there, but it's usually portrayed so subtly. That scene was nice.

And while it's not "sweet" or anything, I really love the little exchanges between Buffy and Giles in Giles' kitchen during Pangs. So cute and funny. Like the following...

Giles: Tell me again why we're not doing this at your house?

Buffy: Giles, if you would like to get by in American society,
        then you are going to have to follow our traditions. You're the
        patriarch. You have to host the festivities, or it's all meaningless.

Giles: And this is in no way an elaborate scheme to stick me
        with the cleanup?

Buffy: How about that ceremonial knife, huh? Pretty juicy
        piece of clue-age, don't you think?
        ~a si i-dhuath u-orthor~

Comment

My favorite moment is a sad moment, in Passion. in the end she goes "i can't do it without you" and they fall into each other arms or something like that.. I lost buffy's image of giles into something else. A relationship.

Comment

My favorite Giles moment with Buffy was actually not a happy one. It was "Revelations", and his quiet, unrelenting scolding of Buffy's keeping Angel hidden.

Giles: (interrupts) Be quiet. (slowly turns to face her) (sternly) I
            won't remind you that the fate of the world often lies with the Slayer.
            What would be the point? Nor shall I remind you that you've jeopardized
            the lives of all that you hold dear by harboring a known murderer. But
            sadly, I must remind you that Angel tortured me... for hours... for
            pleasure. You should have told me he was alive. You didn't. You have no
            respect for me, or the job I perform.
            sigpic
            Banner by LRae12

Comment

My favorite Buffy/ Giles moment is in Grave, the scene in the training room. It's played very father/ daughter. Giles bursting into laughter because he realizes exactly how foolish he was and how absurd everything Buffy just told him was. It's the comedy of errors...

Love that scene... Could watch it a dozen times and not be bored.

Valyssia

Comment

I just watched Consequences last night and was reminded of the great scene between Giles & Buffy after Faith told Giles about Buffy 'killing' the deputy mayor. I loved that scene in his office when he told her he knew it was Faith...so very fatherly to me for some reason...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by omri View Post
                  My favorite moment is a sad moment, in Passion. in the end she goes "i can't do it without you" and they fall into each other arms
                  That is one of my favortie scenes of them as well. Another one I enjoy is the moment that they share at the end of the "Lie to Me" episode and then I can't forget when he was singing to her in "OMWF".
                  "Love isn't brains, children, it's blood...blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it."
                  - Spike
                  http://world3.monstersgame.us/?ac=vid&vid=383001568

Comment

Working...
                  X