Buffy, always crashing into windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy, always crashing into windows

have any of you noticed that Buffy has a thing for throwing or crashing herself into windows when she's fighting demons or something?(with the exception of saving the monk from Glory in a huge building, she actually through herself to save him) i've noticed it's something she does ocassionally it's like if it's become part of her.

Originally posted by SarahRegi View Post
    have any of you noticed that Buffy has a thing for throwing or crashing herself into windows when she's fighting demons or something?(with the exception of saving the monk from Glory in a huge building, she actually through herself to save him) i've noticed it's something she does ocassionally it's like if it's become part of her.
    My friends and I have noticed the same thing, and sometimes it is for no apparent reason. I can think of two main examples, one being far more bizarre than the other though. The first instance being in Graduation Day II when Buffy grabs Faith and throws them both out of the apartment window. Now I don't know exactly know why she felt she had to do this; perhaps to harm Faith, but it'd harm her as well?

The second instance being the most bizarre of all has to be when Glory tears open the wall to Tara's old apartment and finds Buffy, Dawn, Willow and Tara inside. At the start of Spiral after Glory discovers Dawn is the key Buffy snatches Dawn and rushes for the door. Rather than just kicking it open or even grabbing the handle like a normal person and opening it, Buffy grabs Dawn and throws herself backwards through the door and onto the floor. Now if it weren't for Willow who managed to hurl Glory backwards with some mojo I'm convinced Glory would have snatched Buffy and Dawn straight away. The time it took for them both to get back onto their feet was much longer than it would have been if Buffy and Dawn had just ran out the door. I've never quite understood why Buffy felt she needed to hurl them both through the door?

I think this boils down to the stunt people being bored rather than anything else. As for example, Buffy always has to do a nice roll to get away from her opponent rather than walking away. In the episode Dark Ages Buffy has to do this little flip and roll over the library counter to face Giles' old friend, when she could have easily just leapt over the counter.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
      My friends and I have noticed the same thing, and sometimes it is for no apparent reason. I can think of two main examples, one being far more bizarre than the other though. The first instance being in Graduation Day II when Buffy grabs Faith and throws them both out of the apartment window. Now I don't know exactly know why she felt she had to do this; perhaps to harm Faith, but it'd harm her as well?

The second instance being the most bizarre of all has to be when Glory tears open the wall to Tara's old apartment and finds Buffy, Dawn, Willow and Tara inside. At the start of Spiral after Glory discovers Dawn is the key Buffy snatches Dawn and rushes for the door. Rather than just kicking it open or even grabbing the handle like a normal person and opening it, Buffy grabs Dawn and throws herself backwards through the door and onto the floor. Now if it weren't for Willow who managed to hurl Glory backwards with some mojo I'm convinced Glory would have snatched Buffy and Dawn straight away. The time it took for them both to get back onto their feet was much longer than it would have been if Buffy and Dawn had just ran out the door. I've never quite understood why Buffy felt she needed to hurl them both through the door?

I think this boils down to the stunt people being bored rather than anything else. As for example, Buffy always has to do a nice roll to get away from her opponent rather than walking away. In the episode Dark Ages Buffy has to do this little flip and roll over the library counter to face Giles' old friend, when she could have easily just leapt over the counter.

I never thought of it that way before, but it's so true...I'm trying to think, the first instance of window crashing was when she threw Angel out of her house in Angel. Now, how did she explain that to her mother when they got home from the hospital? 'Uh, mom, you cut your self on a BBQ fork, and in you extreme pain and blood loss ran screaming into the living room, yanked the fork from your neck and proceeded to hurl it through the living room window, then ran screaming back to the kitchen and proceeded to collapse' 'what mom? no the cops didn't FIND the BBQ fork outside, I, uh, picked it up and washed it off, I mean, really, the blood, then realized it was ruined and threw it out of the ambulance window because I thought - hey, we can always get a new one!'

(yes, I did eat paint chips as a child... )
      sigpic

Comment

I'm still wondering after all these years why Buffy never gets cut from all the window-falling-through and wood-and-rock-punching she does. Seriously...she jumps through at least 10 windows, punches at least 5 floors or pieces of wood and doesn't get one scratch. Xander punches a wall once and gets a bloody fist, but Buffy can punch through a frat house floor and not have anything happen to her hand? She just never ends up as bloodied as normal humans would, even in Showtime when a cement wall falls on her - wouldn't that at least break a couple limbs? When Glory throws her into the opposite wall of the factory in No Place Like Home with one blow, shouldn't she have a broken jaw, or be knocked unconscious or something?

And vampmogs - excellent point, there really isn't a reason to go through a door when it means falling down and taking a few seconds to get back up.
        Buffy: It sounds like it's difficult for you. Maybe your sister makes it hard for you to establish your own identity. You said she's controlling, she doesn't let you make your own decisions -
        Dawn: Yeah, and she borrows my clothes without asking.

Comment

Originally posted by redrevo View Post
          I'm still wondering after all these years why Buffy never gets cut from all the window-falling-through and wood-and-rock-punching she does. Seriously...she jumps through at least 10 windows, punches at least 5 floors or pieces of wood and doesn't get one scratch. Xander punches a wall once and gets a bloody fist, but Buffy can punch through a frat house floor and not have anything happen to her hand? She just never ends up as bloodied as normal humans would, even in Showtime when a cement wall falls on her - wouldn't that at least break a couple limbs? When Glory throws her into the opposite wall of the factory in No Place Like Home with one blow, shouldn't she have a broken jaw, or be knocked unconscious or something?
          Exactly! But in the episode Bad Eggs, Cordelia can knock Buffy out cold with one swing of something hard, but she doesn't get hurt jumping out of a 3 story window! Also, in Seeing Red - the infamous bathroom scene, you mean to tell me slipping and falling and bumping her head on the bathtub constitutes 'I'm hurt?' please! And when Xander came in after the fact, and Buffy had bruises on her thigh - from what? She didn't have a scratch on her from punching through that frat house floor. I just think it's funny, and inconsistent...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
            Also, in Seeing Red - the infamous bathroom scene, you mean to tell me slipping and falling and bumping her head on the bathtub constitutes 'I'm hurt?' please!
            I think she was referring to the fact that she was hurt from the Gravestone Hit earlier that evening.

I do agree though, I think that with the amount of times Buffy jumped through windows, I think she was trying to set a world record or something.
            Yeah yeah yeah! I can just see it now!

'Buffy Summers: World Record for Jumping Through Windows....[Insert preferred number here].'

I don't understand how she didn't get any cuts or bruises though, or how she *didn't* get knocked out, but she could by: Glory (as said above) Cordy, (also as said above) and even Caleb.

sigpic
            ♥ He never got out of the cockadoodie car! ♥

Comment

Gosh, I'm a little late! LOL

Anyway with that scene vampmogs gave as an example, I always remembered it being Faith who first went on that weird balcony thing inside and then Buffy jumped over the rail and kicked Faith in the face doing so. Then after when the Mayor comes to investigate he says something like "No. No, she took the fight outside. My Faith doesn't like to be cooped up."
              So in Buffy's defense for that one!! LOL

No, but really, Buffy does do a lot of unnecessary jumps through windows and doors instead of doing the less expensive and less damaging open a door with a kick her something...
              Just under it, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post
                Exactly! But in the episode Bad Eggs, Cordelia can knock Buffy out cold with one swing of something hard, but she doesn't get hurt jumping out of a 3 story window! Also, in Seeing Red - the infamous bathroom scene, you mean to tell me slipping and falling and bumping her head on the bathtub constitutes 'I'm hurt?' please! And when Xander came in after the fact, and Buffy had bruises on her thigh - from what? She didn't have a scratch on her from punching through that frat house floor. I just think it's funny, and inconsistent...
                in S7 they always mentioned that slayer heal faster than normal humans. so i guess that explains a bit why she never really got hurt. the times i recall seeing her very hurt were when she had to face the councils test and when she tried to fight those ugly looking vamps alone when all the potential slayers emerged. she was really messed up in that episode.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahRegi View Post
                  in S7 they always mentioned that slayer heal faster than normal humans. so i guess that explains a bit why she never really got hurt. the times i recall seeing her very hurt were when she had to face the councils test and when she tried to fight those ugly looking vamps alone when all the potential slayers emerged. she was really messed up in that episode.
                  Yeah but she lost her slayer powers as part of the councils test which explains why she was hurt then and the Turok Han beat the crap out of her. Buffy is a slayer so she can handle pain a lot easier than other humans, in the Buffyverse being supernaturally strong also seems to prevent one from being very injured during fights. Both Warren and Willow mystically make themselves supernaturally strong and neither suffer cuts or bruises during their counters with Buffy, nor does she for that matter.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Yeah but she lost her slayer powers as part of the councils test which explains why she was hurt then and the Turok Han beat the crap out of her. Buffy is a slayer so she can handle pain a lot easier than other humans, in the Buffyverse being supernaturally strong also seems to prevent one from being very injured during fights. Both Warren and Willow mystically make themselves supernaturally strong and neither suffer cuts or bruises during their counters with Buffy, nor does she for that matter.
                    ohh that's right!!! i forgot that part when she loses her slayer strength.
                    but yeah in other ocassions she has been beaten pretty hard. like this other time when in S4, at college, the punky vamp girl hurts her arm.

but going back to when she threw herself out of the building with the monk in her arms, she didn't get hurt. it was kind of cool to watch too, just think being able to jump out of a building and land on your back on the ground and just get up and walk like nothing.

Comment

Working...
                    X