Buffy's Bad Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy's Bad Advice

I just started re-watching the series for the millionth time and I noticed a common theme....whenever Buffy gives advice (specifically to Willow) someone almost dies.

This is evident in "Welcome to the Hellmouth" when she tells Willow to seize the day and she goes for a walk with a vampire.

This comes up again in season two's "Phases" when Buffy tells Willow to make the first move since Oz had yet to kiss her, which led to Willow going over to Oz's house and almost being eaten by him.

Now this isn't to say that Buffy is the only one dolling out bad advice. Willow tells Buffy (indirectly) to sleep with Angel and we all know where that led.

Just something that I found interesting. Where else in the series has advice been given and endangered the recipient?
    "To read makes our speaking English good"

"Whenever Giles sends me on a mission, he always says 'Please.' And afterwards I get a cookie."

Willow also bounces Buffy's carpe diem advice from WTTH back to her in Surprise. Needless to say it did not end well for her. Or Angel. Or Jenny. I can't think of anything else though...

{tumblr}
    AKA nonbeliever93

Comment

When faced with the angry spirit of an slaughtered Native American tribe the way to sort then out is exterminate them entirely

Comment

Originally posted by saturn5 View Post
        When faced with the angry spirit of an slaughtered Native American tribe the way to sort then out is exterminate them entirely
        Ah actually I think that was pretty good advice. "It's kill or be killed here take your bloody pick." They were demon spirits trying to harm innocent people. Giles and Spike were right.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I agree with Mogs here. That people were murdered in the past isn't justification for those spirits to kill innocents nowadays. Destroy them is the only way to go here.

I don't know if this Bad Advice thing was intended by the writers at all, or if they rather needed the characters in a certain place or position and simply needed a solid reason to bring them there, and advice or encouragement from a close friend often make a very good reson.
          Sin is what I feast upon
          I'm forging my crematorium
          Your tomb is waiting here for you
          Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I think that at some point in BTVS atleast one character gave bad advice to another character.It's not b/c they didn't care about their friends. They all had their best interests at heart. Buffy didn't know Willow would choose the only vamp in the Bronze to take a walk with, Buffy also didn't know that Oz was a werewolf when she told Willow to make the first move.

The advice was good as her intentions. But you have to remember, They did live in Sunnydale and they did live on a hellmouth. So Buffy could have told Willow to buy a sock puppet and she probably still would have gotten into trouble.
            Spike: "Aww, Poor watcher, Did your life flash before your eyes? Cup of tea, Cup of tea, Almost got shagged, Cup of tea"

Comment

Originally posted by Zombierella View Post
              The advice was good as her intentions. But you have to remember, They did live in Sunnydale and they did live on a hellmouth. So Buffy could have told Willow to buy a sock puppet and she probably still would have gotten into trouble.
              Thanks for this - it cheered up a real bad day at the office

Personally, I think it just showed that people make mistakes, it doesn't matter if you're on a hellmouth or not, there's always the wrong guy/girl (OK, not a vampire or werewolf ) and people are impulsive sometimes.

I hope that makes sense
              sigpic

Thank you Captain Oats for my Banner & Avi

Comment

Sometimes advice may be, objectively viewed, sensible and rational, but then soem circumstance turns up that you can't possibly have anticipated - and it turns out to be "bad advice".
                Sin is what I feast upon
                I'm forging my crematorium
                Your tomb is waiting here for you
                Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Working...
                X