The 1992 Buffy Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1992 Buffy Movie

Lets start off where it really all began, back with Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry back in 1992.

The Good
    Kristy is lovely, perhaps even more so than SMG, especially in her nightie. Love the scene where she rides the motorbike and some of the valleytalk. Principal Murray is also funny as is the 'What time is it?' gag. Love the idea that 'PMS is our secret weapon'
    Paul Ruebens is good especially his death scene. And that's pretty much it

The Bad
    Personally I think both Merrick and Lothos are way over the top. The Buffy/Pike relationship lacks credibility although it's interesting to think about Buffy/Oz? Angel is sorely missed. Kristy's lovely but nowhere near as good an actress as SMG. The finale is also not up to much. It's an OK film but it lacks verve

The Other
    Quite a cast, double Oscar winner Hilary Swank, Ben Affleck, Ricky Lake etc. Reputedly Seth Green has a small role but I've never spotted him. You can certainly see the beginnings of the Buffy characters here;
    Pike=Oz
    Jennifer=Cordy
    Kimberly=Harmony
    Andy=Xander
    Cassandra=Willow (although she dies!)
    Murray=Flutie
    No Ford from 'Lie to Me' though. The only characters to cross from the movie to the series are Buffy, Joyce, Hank and Merrick (in flashback in Becoming pt2). Joyce's 'What time?' line to Buffy is also repeated there but in a very different context. Joyce remarks to Buffy in 'Fear Itself' that she's not the social butterfly she used to be and also in WTTH that she's read parenting books.
    I saw Luke Perry in 'When Harry Met Sally' with AH and he was very good (and certainly still a hit with the girls). A shame we never see Pike again in the series although he does return in the comics. I don't really think the romance between him and Buffy works, we sorely miss Angel/Spike. If you look at the video cover it has both him and Kristy, by the time it comes out on DVD it's just her.
    Buffy later describes her pre-Slayer personality as Cordelia-like and she is. Ironically Merrick quotes Corinthians about putting away childish things but it's by clinging to her non-slayer life that Buffy is the most successful Slayer ever. She does recall the memories of past Slayers just as Dana does in Damaged so this is presumably something shared by all Slayers
    Buffy says she aims to graduate, go to Europe, marry Christian Slater and die. By the end of Angel she's done 3 out of 4 (wouldn't it have been cool if they got the Immortal to be played by Christian Slater?)
    Now of course if Normal Again is real then Buffy's delusion starts at the point she 'meets' Merrick and ends at the final scene of Chosen (the Buffy comics her dreams and/or perhaps she writes them for a living?). On the plus side although none of her Sunnydale characters exist it means that folks like Cassandra she based them on are still alive so she still has her Scooby-Gang and both parents when she gets out of the asylum. And she can always find a new Faith and Angel/Spike and name her daughter Dawn.
    Lots of continuity changes. Vamps don't dust and can fly. Buffy doesn't miss the heart first time out as she later claims. It's much more overtly christian with the Slayer clearly god's instrument. Buffy has a built in vamp-detector which is alluded to in the series but not so strongly.
    More cruelty to cats!
    Good soundtrack from the Divinyls, they also did 'I touch myself' which Buffy recalls listening to in 'Lie to Me'

Questions;
    Merrick says he is reincarnated but is that just him or all Watchers?
    Do Faith and co all have the birthmark Buffy had removed?

The Buffy movie is ok. I don?t relate this movie with this series, for me it?s separate but it?s fun to watch how everthing started.
    For me, this is a light movie. There are stuff that are over the top, like Lothos and some of his minions, but it?s fun to spend an evening and we get to see David Arquette, Luke Perry and Hilary Swank.

Comment

I couldn't stand the movie myself. I found watching it to be a pretty cringe worthy experience sadly.

I quit like Swanson's Buffy, and I like that fact she was a little less 'frail' looking then Gellar so that helped when it came to the fight scenes, but as to the rest of it, including the flying vamps with pointed ears, and the overall campness of it, it was just a awful.

Comment

Count me as Oliver Pike's fangirl. Seriously. I'm still rooting for him to show up again in canon.

It's another reason I love the year 1 comics where we finally find out why Pike separated from Buffy and we get to see Angel's story inserted into the film/The Origin and continued until right before Welcome to the Hellmouth with him following her with Whistler (even an appearance by Lilah!). Joyce, Dawn, Hank, Xander, Willow, Giles, Cordy, Harmony and Jesse are all in those comics, too, which is neat.

I despise The Origin so much (mostly the atrocious art which I refuse to acknowledge as an official representation of the story and characters--and you think the movie is cheesy?! The vampires are green!--and the fact that it still has canonical mistakes) that I mentally have to make a mental mixture of the script, the film and the comic.

Joss' script is here: http://sfy.ru/sfy.html?script=buffy_the_vampire_slayer

Joss' vision changed between the script and the series, so don't listen to his garbage about how the film is so different from his script (it isn't!). Most of the changes made to the mythology actually were centered around Buffy not knowing Angel was a vampire for seven episodes. That's why the Slayer PMS, non-changing faces, etc... of the film were rewritten for the series. The dustings were invented so the Scoobies didn't have to clean up bodies and the vampires made to seem less human. The mole was done away with and Merrick was turned into a normal Watcher instead of a reincarnated one. Buffy's age and burning down the gym (NOT in the script) were changed for the series.

Pike is definitely Oz-like. The prom scene with the cardboard jungle and the "Buffy, you're not like other girls." "Yes, I am." dialog is as good as anything found in Buffy's series relationships. I add him as Buffy's fourth most important boyfriend that she has had.

And there's even more Pike to love in the rest of the year 1 comics (which in my mind happened). He's definitely one of the best things in that film.

I like the film. So, sue me. And I love the '80s/'90s feel of the soundtrack. "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore", "Little Heaven" and "We Close Our Eyes" are wonderful. I also love the fact that the end song's title is almost foreshadowing of "Close Your Eyes".

Also, I can't get behind Richard Riehle as Merrick still. I'm stuck thinking of him as Muff Potter from Tom & Huck because he really didn't get enough of a role in Becoming, pt. 1 to reinvent the character. Donald Sutherland is still the first actor I think of when I think of Merrick. I actually enjoyed his performance a lot. Richard Riehle didn't do anything with the part and was a far less likable Merrick. And I still think they improved the film by having Lothos stake Merrick rather than Merrick shooting himself. It makes Lothos infinitely less pathetic as a villain--it actually gives him something bad to do other than kill Cassandra--and made Merrick significantly more likable/empathetic.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
        "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Joss has publicly spoken out about how difficult Sutherland was to work with and how he would invent lines for Merrick and much to Whedon's frustration, the director would allow him to do so. The impression I got was that Whedon thought Sutherland felt he was superior to everyone else on set.

Personally I didn’t think he played Merrick well at all but I’ve never been a fan of him in anything I’ve seen him in. I thought he was pretty awful in the short-lived ‘Commander in Chief’ and what I’ve seen of him in ‘Dirty Sexy Money.’

My favourite scene in the movie is definitely when Buffy and Merrick bond though, when she discusses what she plans to be when she grows up and he makes a joke. It is a very sweet scene and a hint at what is to come with Buffy/Giles in the actual series. It’s one of very few moments in that movie which show off the stories possible potential. I also liked the “you’re not like other girls” “yes I am” line as well.

Thought the movie was pretty terrible though… *HATED* Lothos’ lackey. Ugh… When he takes ages to die.. That was also something Whedon didn’t script and the director left in after the actor spontaneously did it to be funny. You can tell.. It’s horrendous.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

I have to say i liked the movie, but it isn't anything compared to the series.., it just makes you ponder, what if they made a movie soon with the tv actors, i know the rumors, and joss had denied them, but if it happens..its gotta happen soon, theyre not going to stay young forever
            http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...uy/Bander2.png
            "Can I have you? Uuhh, can I help you?"
            "We've fought some blood-sucking fiends, and that's all been a good time. But I want more. I wanna dance "with you. "

Comment

I can't see a movie with the original cast ever being made now. It's far too late for that as most of the main actors have moved on.

I could see though in a few years it being remade with a completely new cast. A sort of Buffy 'next Gen'.

Comment

I loved that movie and I still kind of do. It's not what the series is, no, it's not as deep, not as resonant (it does have its moments), but it's funny as hell and proves that, if nothing else, Buffy does *work* as camp, that's just not how it works the *best*.

First of all, nothing busted everybody up in the theatre like Paul Reubens refusing to actually stay dead. It was funny in Monty Python and, y'know what? Still funny.

The "Benny, you're floating!" conversation is hilarious to me.

The debate over the theme for dance.

Stephen Root. I have no doubt Joss would have used him on the show if he could have. One of the best comedy character actors of all time.

I think Kristy Swanson was authentically Buffy in several bits -- I liked her with Pike during/after the dance. I liked her handling of the knife being thrown at her head. She and Donald Sutherland had a good chemistry that, I'm sorry, if you have *any* kind of emotional investment in Buffy's pre-Sunnydale story, it came from their performance together.

I am torn on whether I agree with Nile about Lothos staking Merrick vs. Merrick killing himself. Merrick killing himself had a real plot legitimacy -- keeping himself from, once turned, revealing Buffy's identity. In the movie, it works, too, but, uh, could it have been staged worse? He just stands there. It's terrible.
                sigpic
                Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  First of all, nothing busted everybody up in the theatre like Paul Reubens refusing to actually stay dead. It was funny in Monty Python and, y'know what? Still funny.
                  That's easily the greatest part in the movie. When he starts to kick the wall is when I am literally ROFLing! I thought that part was funny when I was 2, and at 19, I still think that part's funny. And my god, has it been this long since it came out? Time sure does fly.

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                  Stephen Root. I have no doubt Joss would have used him on the show if he could have. One of the best comedy character actors of all time.
                  "Detention!.....Detention!......Detention!........ ............Detention, detention." Stephen as the principal trying to keep everything under control was hysterical. You can't help but laugh when he starts putting the detention slips on all of the vamp bodies.

I honestly love and adore this movie still to this day. It basically helped start and maintain my vampire obsession my entire life. Well, that and Interview with the Vampire. The Buffy movie has yet to get old imo. It was cheesy to begin with and let's face it, cheesy never gets old. I will always prefer Buffy the show over it, but I will never put down the Buffy movie. It's tastic, and I love it!
                  T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

I still cringe when this is re shown on TV. I always think it helps give a terribly misleading view of the series.

Nowonder Joss hated it so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                      I can't see a movie with the original cast ever being made now. It's far too late for that as most of the main actors have moved on.

I could see though in a few years it being remade with a completely new cast. A sort of Buffy 'next Gen'.
                      You've got to remember you don't need the whole cast, basically you only need SMG. If Dollhouse isn't a success and SMG decided she would want to do it that's all you need. But the ending to Buffy was so good I almost don't want movie. A few TV movies focusing on Spike or Faith etc would be welcome

Comment

I don't believe you even need her really.

If they decided to remake the entire franchise many years down the line, like they did with next gen, and many other TV shows, then she'd be too old to play Buffy really, unless it was as a cameo.

Comment

She's only 32 and still looks a million dollars (as Maxim proved), if we set it in real life Buffy would be 29 by now so it shouldn't be a problem

Comment

Yes, but I'm not talking about now, or even within the next five years, but say 10 to 20 years down the line. These TV 're-boots' are often done many, many years after the originals have stopped airing and usually recast with an all new, and much younger cast, but using the original premise.

SMG would be too old by then, unless it was a Cameo.
                            Last edited by sueworld; 31-03-09, 12:06 PM.

Comment

im not much of a fan of the film. but i do find myself watchin git on tv when it on, just one of those films.
                              most people have come to know the chachters as sarah playing buffy and so on. if they were to remake it in years to come it wouldnt be the same but id give it ago. i couldnt imagine watching buffy the vampire slayer and not have sarah play her or the rest of the cast.

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
                                Yes, but I'm not talking about now, or even within the next five years, but say 10 to 20 years down the line. These TV 're-boots' are often done many, many years after the originals have stopped airing and usually recast with an all new, and much younger cast, but using the original premise.

SMG would be too old by then, unless it was a Cameo.

20 years down the line she'll probably look like Kristine Sutherland now (no bad thing!. If that were the case she could play the beloved head of the Slayer's Academy. welcoming a new girl to the fold
                                (think Lynda Carter in Sky High?)

Comment

I really hate the idea of BTVS becoming a knock off of Harry Potter. Having a "Slayer Academy" with Buffy as headmistress is not the direction I want to see the series go in. A lot of people don't like the military like setup of Buffy's headquarters and while I can see where they are coming from, it's still much, much better than having the castle be presented as a highschool for girls with superpowers.

I don't want to see Buffy become Dumbledore, I'm hoping that in 20 years she's enjoying a well earned retirement from Slaying.

Also we know that at some point all supernatural nasties are going to be banished from this dimension, paving the way for Fray's future.

Comment

I'm not necessarily saying 'Slayer Academy', I'm saying that a Buffy movie in 10-20 years time could be the story of a new Slayer being welcomed into the fold and Buffy and co could be the Watcher's Council, sending out a new Watcher to take care of her

Comment

Originally posted by saturn5 View Post
                                      Lets start off where it really all began, back with Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry back in 1992.

The Good
                                      Kristy is lovely, perhaps even more so than SMG, especially in her nightie. Love the scene where she rides the motorbike and some of the valleytalk. Principal Murray is also funny as is the 'What time is it?' gag. Love the idea that 'PMS is our secret weapon'
                                      Paul Ruebens is good especially his death scene. And that's pretty much it

The Bad
                                      Personally I think both Merrick and Lothos are way over the top. The Buffy/Pike relationship lacks credibility although it's interesting to think about Buffy/Oz? Angel is sorely missed. Kristy's lovely but nowhere near as good an actress as SMG. The finale is also not up to much. It's an OK film but it lacks verve

The Other
                                      Quite a cast, double Oscar winner Hilary Swank, Ben Affleck, Ricky Lake etc. Reputedly Seth Green has a small role but I've never spotted him. You can certainly see the beginnings of the Buffy characters here;
                                      Pike=Oz
                                      Jennifer=Cordy
                                      Kimberly=Harmony
                                      Andy=Xander
                                      Cassandra=Willow (although she dies!)
                                      Murray=Flutie
                                      No Ford from 'Lie to Me' though. The only characters to cross from the movie to the series are Buffy, Joyce, Hank and Merrick (in flashback in Becoming pt2). Joyce's 'What time?' line to Buffy is also repeated there but in a very different context. Joyce remarks to Buffy in 'Fear Itself' that she's not the social butterfly she used to be and also in WTTH that she's read parenting books.
                                      I saw Luke Perry in 'When Harry Met Sally' with AH and he was very good (and certainly still a hit with the girls). A shame we never see Pike again in the series although he does return in the comics. I don't really think the romance between him and Buffy works, we sorely miss Angel/Spike. If you look at the video cover it has both him and Kristy, by the time it comes out on DVD it's just her.
                                      Buffy later describes her pre-Slayer personality as Cordelia-like and she is. Ironically Merrick quotes Corinthians about putting away childish things but it's by clinging to her non-slayer life that Buffy is the most successful Slayer ever. She does recall the memories of past Slayers just as Dana does in Damaged so this is presumably something shared by all Slayers
                                      Buffy says she aims to graduate, go to Europe, marry Christian Slater and die. By the end of Angel she's done 3 out of 4 (wouldn't it have been cool if they got the Immortal to be played by Christian Slater?)
                                      Now of course if Normal Again is real then Buffy's delusion starts at the point she 'meets' Merrick and ends at the final scene of Chosen (the Buffy comics her dreams and/or perhaps she writes them for a living?). On the plus side although none of her Sunnydale characters exist it means that folks like Cassandra she based them on are still alive so she still has her Scooby-Gang and both parents when she gets out of the asylum. And she can always find a new Faith and Angel/Spike and name her daughter Dawn.
                                      Lots of continuity changes. Vamps don't dust and can fly. Buffy doesn't miss the heart first time out as she later claims. It's much more overtly christian with the Slayer clearly god's instrument. Buffy has a built in vamp-detector which is alluded to in the series but not so strongly.
                                      More cruelty to cats!
                                      Good soundtrack from the Divinyls, they also did 'I touch myself' which Buffy recalls listening to in 'Lie to Me'

Questions;
                                      Merrick says he is reincarnated but is that just him or all Watchers?
                                      Do Faith and co all have the birthmark Buffy had removed?
                                      I think the film is hilarious. Sure its a bit campy, but entertaining.
                                      Every Slayer has a death wish. Even you.
                                      ?I think it?s the title of the show. Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It?s like a line in the sand. And unless you appreciate irony and are somewhat sophisticated you?re not going to watch that show.?
                                      - James Marsters

Comment

Working...
                                      X