6 episodes to get someone hooked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 episodes to get someone hooked?

So, I'm a longtime Buffy fan, and my girlfriend has agreed to watch any 6 episodes I choose as long as I will sit through 12 episodes of Friends(gag). she's never seen any, and I'm hoping to get her hooked, as she currently has terrible taste in TV(she watches MTV, for god's sake). I've been thinking about it for a while, and I think I am going to choose the following:

Season 1-Angel
    Season 2-Surprise and Innocence.
    Season 4-Hush
    Season 5-The Gift
    Season 6- Once more with feeling.

I'm not too sure about the gift, it relied really heavily on your emotional investment in the characters involved, but the others seem solid. The Buffy/Angel romance is epic, and hush and OMWF are no brainers. Do you guys see any flaws here? other things that a newcomer might not appreciate? or any suggestions of more effective episodes?

PS- I dismissed season 7 altogether because, as amazing as it was, I think the dynamic with the potentials would be too confusing.

I agree The Gift could be risky. The rest are perfect choices. Passions could be good?

Comment

No episodes from Season 3?

And I agree that The Gift doesn't seem right. It's too dependent on the build-up to the finale and the emotional punch relies on the viewer being attached to Buffy when she jumps.
      sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

1. Welcome to the Hellmouth
        2. The Harvest
        3. Angel
        4. Prophecy Girl
        5. Surprise
        6. Innocence

or

1. Angel
        2. School Hard
        3. What's My Line?, pt. 1
        4. What's My Line?, pt. 2
        5. Surprise
        6. Innocence

At the end of Innocence, if it doesn't get her to continue watching, it might be a lost cause. This way its all introductory information from the same arc and there's a character flow.
        Last edited by NileQT87; 09-03-09, 10:42 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
        "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Not sure if I can give good advise on this.

If you want to pick one episode from season 6, I'd recommend "Smashed" instead of "Once more with feeling." The scene where Buffy and Spike beat up on each other, then went on each other might be more effective at getting someone "hooked up" than all the musicals "Once more with feeling" has.

If you can only choose 6, how can you pick both "Surprise" and "Innocence?"
          I'd suggest you to pick the one Buffy uses the rocket launcher if you can only choose one of them.

The rest I don't have much to say, except that you might also want to pick at least one episode with dynamic action. I know you already chose not to pick one from season 7, but I think you should consider "Show Time," in which Buffy takes out the uber Vamp
          Last edited by DarkRobin; 09-03-09, 10:50 PM.

Comment

I must agree that there does need to be something from Season 3...It's my favourite season so I'm biased!

I'd have to go with Enemies - but its difficult cos of the all the background you need. Defnitely Innocence over Surprise to get someone hooked but I love Surprise - the Buffy and Angel love in this episode is just exquisite!

Comment

I always thought that the "What's my Line" episodes are the greatest way to introduce a person to the show. It has a decent story, explains the series well and has a nice combination of the whole series. And more important, it doesn't spoil much. I would never introduce a person with episodes that are part of a good arc. Also no episodes of the last seasons because it spoils many character developments and changes in the cast.

I think that I would show the next episodes;

1. Welcome to the Hellmouth
              2. The Harvest
              3. Angel
              4. What's My Line part 1
              5. What's my Line part 2
              6. Halloween or Lie to Me

Comment

Ooh Lie to Me is a GOOD call!

Comment

I think heavily arc-based episodes like Surprise and Innocence might be a bit risky for newcomers to the show. I'd recommend...

1) Welcome to the Hellmouth
                  2) The Harvest
                  3) Angel
                  4) School Hard
                  5) Hush
                  6) Once More, With Feeling
                  Last edited by Enisy; 10-03-09, 12:14 AM.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

Hmm. I would probably go with

1. Welcome to the Hellmouth.

Not the strongest ep but an essential ep for the set up of the show and where the characters are really introduced

2. Prophecy Girl.

A little spoilery as it's the season finale but it's a hard heart that isn't moved by Buffy's speech to Giles.

3. I only have eyes for you

A personal favourite. The combo of surprise & innocence is good but if you get her hooked then it might be better to view those eps in context and this ep has towering performances from SMG and DB and a real aura of tragedy.

4. Gingerbread.

Controversial! Not everyone's cup of tea but an ep that I think says a lot about the way Buffy deconstructs popular myths and it has deeper meanings to the fun. If not this then I'd plump for Helpless.

5. Hush

Cos it's Hush, and it has the silent lecture scene.

6. Triangle.

Again a good comedy ep to balance out the earlier drama based eps and Anya in full flow. If you haven't got her by now then throwing Anya at her should definitely do the trick.

I wouldn't go past season 4 because that takes us into Dawn territory which needs quite a bit of splainy and season 6, although I love it to death is probably a bit too dark for an initial introduction
                    Last edited by tangent; 12-07-09, 03:02 PM.
                    JUST ENOUGH KILL

sigpic
                    Banner by Ciderdrinker

Comment

Angel
                      Surprise
                      Innocence
                      IOHEFY
                      Becoming Pts 1 & 2

If that doesn't get her hooked, nothing will.
                      Cordially,
                      Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                      Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Originally posted by Emmie View Post
                        No episodes from Season 3?
                        I discounted a lot of 3 because I didn't want to have to explain Faith. I love faith, but I was trying to keep things as simple as possible. I might also have to drop OMWF, even though it is by far my favorite episode, for the same reason. Too much backstory. I could explain willow and tara easily enough, but Spuffy and Giles' backstory there could be too confusing.

Also, everyone seems to be jumping on welcome to the Hellmouth, but it was BORING. I think I can explain the premis as we go, I don't want to start off on such a low note.

Originally posted by DarkRobin View Post
                        Not sure if I can give good advise on this.

If you can only choose 6, how can you pick both "Surprise" and "Innocence?"
                        I'd suggest you to pick the one Buffy uses the rocket launcher if you can only choose one of them.
                        I chose Surprise and innocence because I wanted to have a little continuity, rather than jumping around for all 6 episodes. Plus they fit nicely with "Angel" as my first three episodes to make her watch. Also, I like how Enisy calls Surprise and Innocence arc-based but recommends OMWF.

Triangle isn't a bad idea, I could substitute that for The Gift. Good idea adding a little bit of comedy to the mix, that is part of the mixture that makes all of Whedon's endeavors amazing.

Feel free to keep posting suggestions, I have a few more days to decide, I'm really trying to put a lot of thought into this.

Comment

Originally posted by nicbennett View Post
                          I discounted a lot of 3 because I didn't want to have to explain Faith. I love faith, but I was trying to keep things as simple as possible. I might also have to drop OMWF, even though it is by far my favorite episode, for the same reason. Too much backstory. I could explain willow and tara easily enough, but Spuffy and Giles' backstory there could be too confusing.

Also, everyone seems to be jumping on welcome to the Hellmouth, but it was BORING. I think I can explain the premis as we go, I don't want to start off on such a low note.
                          You know what's a great introductory episode from Season 3 that has no Faith, is really funny and action-filled? Earshot.

I'll second the recommendations for the Surprise/Innocence two-parter. That's how I got hooked on the show for good. It explains Buffy/Angel in the first part, has a great villain introduced and defeated in the two eps, and shows the incredibly angsty downfall of B/A.

So far, I'd say great episodes that are entertaining in themselves:

Angel
                          Prophecy Girl
                          Surprise/Innocence
                          Earshot
                          Hush

I also like Nile's suggestion of keeping it within a continuity:

1. Angel
                          2. School Hard
                          3. What's My Line?, pt. 1
                          4. What's My Line?, pt. 2
                          5. Surprise
                          6. Innocence
                          sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

Originally posted by nicbennett View Post
                            I chose Surprise and innocence because I wanted to have a little continuity, rather than jumping around for all 6 episodes. Plus they fit nicely with "Angel" as my first three episodes to make her watch. Also, I like how Enisy calls Surprise and Innocence arc-based but recommends OMWF.
                            "Once More, With Feeling" has arc elements, but it is indubitably a standalone episode, unlike "Surprise" and "Innocence". And although some things in later-season episodes like "Hush" and "Once More, With Feeling" may need explanation, I would recommend them so she can get a handle on the different aesthetics of each season. Who knows which characters or themes will grab her.

At any rate, it's your choice.
                            Last edited by Enisy; 10-03-09, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Emmie I was totally gonna jump on 'Earshot!' I love that episode - when Buffy goes to try and read Angel's mind! Awesome.

'The Zeppo' is a pretty funny episode and kinda out of the loop a little bit. You always need a bit of Xander to get you hooked!

Comment

hmm, earshot is an awesome idea, I had forgotten about that. There is so many great eps, it's hard to choose just 6.

Comment

Sure is, its an awesome idea though. I might suggest it to my boyfriend!!

Comment

what do you guys think of Tabula Rasa as a lighter episode to mix in? too much to handle without the willow/tara story?

Comment

Tabula Rasa is a weak version of Spin the Bottle, which outdoes it in every way.

No, I recommend trying to keep an introductory continuity rather than random episodes from all over the place. And comedy episodes are not the way to show that the series is any different than a lot of stuff on T.V. A bit of one of the better plots with serialized character continuity is better to show how the show is more unique. Innocence is the greatest cliffhanger, because it's not too far in the story, but it makes the person want to find out what comes next.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                                      "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

The gal is trying to get him to watch "Friends", though, so odds are she likes her some comedy.

Comment

Working...
                                        X