New Buffy Movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Buffy Movie?

Rumors floating around the interwebzzz suggest there is a NEW Buffy movie along the horizons? Does anyone have any cold hard facts? I need links people! Any information would be great!
    Well, I can sparkle like Edward too!

God I hope so... Highly doubt it though... Every once in a while new rumors about a movie come out, but they're always lies.
    What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Comment

Linkage?

I've got to agree with Cliomiao on this one, and avoid getting my hopes up. I had the most horrible thought the other day, of some second rate Hollywood film director thinking he could do better than Whedon and remaking Buffy in some poor film.
      My skills are as varied as they are impractical.

Comment

Also, Whedon's very budy with Dollhouse, and Sarah, Allyson and David are busy with nw tv programmes of their own... And Buffy with a different director and a different cast just wouldn't be the same. I don't hope in a buffy movie anymore, I'm just happy we got atleast the comics (whuch I think are great, anyway, so no complaining there).
        What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Comment

Sorry Superdanny. The rumour got started from the End of Show website and then picked up by newsfeeds across the globe.

End of Show is run by people I know...in fact, one of them occasionally pokes their nose in here (Doubleshiny). The article is linked below:

http://www.endofshow.com/2008/11/24/...isnt-over-yet/

I don't think Kevin had any idea that the next day he would wake up to it being announced on the local BBC radio station...funny and also a testament to the power of the internets!
          A Bear! You made a Bear! Undo IT!!!

Comment

Although the prospect of a Buffy movie is mouth-watering, I believe it should be left as it is... I didn't even bother with the comics that followed after both shows ended. The actors have moved on since then, have other commitments and whose to say whether they'd have the same chemistry which made the show so great to begin with? Besides al that they're all getting on a bit, they were already portraying characters younger than themselves back then so if they were to make the move they couldn't pick up from where the show left off, they'd have to set the story further down the line and possibly fll the void of the "inbetween" with an intro explaining what's happened since.

Comment

Actually, I've started to like the idea of new movie with new actors. Or better yet, a TV-show.
              Or I'd like a spin-off TV-show with new activated slayers (and maybe some old Buffy & Angel actors popping in now and then to add the verse a sense of "reality").
              I am quite sure though that there will never be a Buffy movie with the old cast, and I actually think it should be that way. I really can't picture a storyline about Buffy & co in their thirties that would be so great as to hold my interest. Because, obviously that storyline wouldn't include any of the vampires as they're not supposed to get older.
              sigpic
              banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

Indeed, Missperoxide, I've always thought it would be cool if, in a few years (maybe once he's done with Dollhouse, assuming it catches on), Joss Whedon did a brand new TV show with brand new characters in the Buffyverse in order to show the impact of the Slayer Spell and the destruction of Wolfram & Hart on the world.
                My skills are as varied as they are impractical.

Comment

I think the best route and something that Joss might have more interest in for the sake of it being extremely different, would be a Fray spin-off. That's the only one I can see Joss think as being worth doing for him artistically.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                  "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

A "Fray" movie would be frickin' fantastic. Now that I've seen brunette Kristen Bell in the "Fanboys" previews, I nominate her. Or Mila Kunis.

A "Buffy" movie would, realistically, already be a reset. New cast, back to high school. Sarah is the youngest of the principals besides Michelle, and she's going to be 32 in May. The Buffy character, even if the movie picked up after Season 8, is 24. If the movie picked up after Season 7, she's 22. I had a general idea for a plot that works for them with the characters in their late 20s, but it's probably not anything a studio would go for.

I think a "Fray" movie would be a much better idea.
                    sigpic
                    Banner by LRae12

Comment

I haven't heard of anything concrete but a potential movie is certainly being discussed, which won't hurt our chance of getting one. That would be amazing.

Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

Comment

The idea of a Buffy movie sounds awesome. Any ideas who would play our favourite heroine though, as much as I love SMG she's a little old.

Joss
                        Fire bad tree pretty

Comment

Looking at Paley I really don't get why people think SMG couldn't pull it off playing a few years younger Buffy? I certainly think she could, she didn't look that old and with some make-up I really think she could do it. I mean I think NB did a fantastic job pulling off a high school Xander and he was ancient at the time! I think Ally could pull it of, Michelle could and even NB, he’s put on a lot of weight but doesn’t look so much older that it wouldn’t be believable at all.

As far as the vamps go? Well neither Angel or Spike are a necessity to a Buffy movie as neither are Btvs characters anymore but I think they could work it. Judging by how DB looks in ‘Bones’ he looks younger and fitter than he has in years. He looks more like his younger Angel-self than he did throughout Ats s5 that’s for sure, so I think he’d have no trouble reprising his role. I actually think DB with some makeup and without the stubble could look more like Angel used to in Btvs and early Ats more than ever. JM looks considerably older but who cares? If you look at Spike in s2 of Btvs and see how he looks in Ats s5 he’s aged a hell of a lot! It didn’t stop them from keeping him in the show? Yes they’re supposed to be vampires and not age but they did age right in front of our eyes and we all forgave it because we know it’s not possible to prevent that, it’s easily overlooked. It's certainly not going to ruin the movie for us is it?

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Huh, very good point. Little bit of makeup she'd be good as new lol. DB and JM aren't exactly a nessecity to the movie, as you said. Although be good to see them in the movie if they do create one. Which btw lets say they do what would they base it around time frame wise?

Joss
                            Fire bad tree pretty

Comment

Who knows? It's very simple not to contradict either the show or season eight if they placed the movie in-between. That way people who haven't read season eight don't need to, to watch this movie and people who do don't have to re-write history in their head. Joss said he would de-canonise season eight so to speak if he had to for a movie, which only he has the right to do, but it's not a necessity at all really and would be rather odd? He's invested a large amount of his time into developing a story he wanted to share with us about what Buffy's been up to and with a spare year and a half between season seven and season eight there's plenty of room he can work with, without needing to contradict that. So he doesn’t have to and he’s creative enough to make it work.

I think it’d be lame to set it before ‘Chosen’ though as it’s too much in the past and we could set it after season eight finishes but Joss already said he's got season nine all worked out in his head so that would be doubtful.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by vampmogs View Post
                                Who knows? It's very simple not to contradict either the show or season eight if they placed the movie in-between. That way people who haven't read season eight don't need to, to watch this movie and people who do don't have to re-write history in their head. Joss said he would de-canonise season eight so to speak if he had to for a movie, which only he has the right to do, but it's not a necessity at all really and would be rather odd? He's invested a large amount of his time into developing a story he wanted to share with us about what Buffy's been up to and with a spare year and a half between season seven and season eight there's plenty of room he can work with, without needing to contradict that. So he doesn't have to and he's creative enough to make it work.

I think it'd be lame to set it before ?Chosen' though as it's too much in the past and we could set it after season eight finishes but Joss already said he's got season nine all worked out in his head so that would be doubtful.
                                Hmm, ok thanks

Joss
                                Fire bad tree pretty

Comment

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer! Coming to theatres this summer!"
                                  viewer says: "They're re-releasing that crappy movie? Or have I somehow been transported back to 1992?"

hahaha. If they did make one clearly it would be better then the original movie. But the season long arcs seem such an important part of the story telling that idk if a movie would work. I remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons that the first movie didn't work was cuz the story needed to be told over time; like the show.

However if they could somehow make it work and get the original cast then I would DEFINITELY watch it!

I like the idea someone mentioned, about a new show set in the Buffyverse, but with NEW characters.
                                  For example, it could be like the Star Trek universe. Where they have a bunch of different shows with different characters but all set in the same universe, and some characters do tend to cross over.

Next time I have lunch with Joss Whedon (hahahah) I will propose that idea to him.

Another slayer show i don't think would be the best bet though.

Spoiler:
                                  Especially since it seems the slayer line is about to be terminated, thus fulfilling Fray's future predicament.

It would be too similar to Buffy TVS. Instead going a different direction would be better. Angel went a slightly different direction. So if there were a new show it would be cool if it were focused on a supporting character, Faith, Spike, Illyria, RIPPER, and putting them in a new setting. Fray could work too with the proper budget for the flying cars and such. Or more likely brand new characters in new setting but in the same buffyverse. Though a direct character spin off seems most appealing, a show with completely new characters has an interesting appeal as well. A fresh start in the familiar buffyverse.
                                  "Screw you, dawn! Hope that doesn't get taken out of context."

Comment

It wouldn't matter if the actors aged. They can do crazy wonderful things in Hollywood with makeup, lighting and computers to make someone look younger. Did you see sex and the city?!

Comment

No matter what you can do with lighting or makeup to make an aged actor appear younger, it's never going to be as realistic as if you just used a younger actor.

Seriously, I think we need to let this one go.

It's been what, six years since the show ended? I don't think the general public cares anymore. Yes, there's a smallish cult following but if this movie is hypotheticly going to be made it needs to turn a profit. And this franchise isn't exactly very accesable to new viewers at this point. It's not like Serenity where everything can be recapped pretty quickly. The ammount of recapping needed for a Buffyverse movie is insane.

Not to mention that the actors have aged, some of whom are supposed to be immortal. If Joss decides to keep the season 8 comics in continuity it's going to be even more confusing to new viewers than it already is. And if he decides to disregard the comics he's going to piss off the hardcore fans. It's a lose/lose situation.

And it wouldn't surprise me if Joss has lost some of his passion for the Buffyverse. And who can blame him? He's spent a megaton of creative energy on Buffy and Angel for more than ten years now. I'm sure he's got a ton of new ideas that he'd like to try out. And I'd love to see them. Would you trade in Firefly for another season of Buffy? I certainly wouldn't.

I think it's time to maybe let this franchise die a somewhat dignified death. Don't get me wrong, I love the Buffyverse. I love it so much that I'd hate for it to turn into Highlander -a series that has long overstayed its welcome and just does not freaking end no matter how many crappy sequals they make.

Comment

Would you trade in Firefly for another season of Buffy? I certainly wouldn't.
                                        *leaps up and down waving her hands like a mad thing* Oh I would!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X