Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think it's really all in her head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think it's really all in her head?

the way "restless" ends it seems like we are to believe that Buffy really is insane and that all she's been through with the vampires and the scoobies is just in her head. The episode is intentionally left open ended. Techincally it is all in Joss's head (with the help of various writers), but it seems too much of a stretch, that one person can have such complex plots going on in their brain.

At least she wasn't looking at a Sunny Dale snowglobe at the end of the episode.
    "Screw you, dawn! Hope that doesn't get taken out of context."

I think you mean "Normal Again". And I personally like the idea that the entire show is imagined. Not that I would actually want Joss to come out and state, "Yeah, Buffy's crazy." But I like that the option is always there. It provides a very intriguing way of looking at the show. If Buffy's making it all up, then what function does each character serve her psyche? Why did she choose to die twice? Why have her dad leave? etc.

Comment

sorry yeah I meant "normal again." the dreaminess of "restless" is what I got mixed up I think.

Even though I know the show is written, so either way the whole Buffyverse is fiction, I think having the character of Buffy creating it all is like a double negative, if that makes sense. hahaha

I like to get really wrapped up in a show and its "reality." so if the shows "reality" were a figment in someone's head, well then. that would just suck! hahaha
      "Screw you, dawn! Hope that doesn't get taken out of context."

Comment

I don't think that's the point of the episode was to suggest that Buffy is imagining it all. The whole mental hospital idea was just a plot device to get Buffy out of her depression. Of course Joss couldn't help teasing the audience with the idea that it was all imagined.

The point of the hospital was to give Buffy, in the true depths of her depression, an easy option out. She was in a comfortable world with no monsters, her parents were still back together and alive and free of the more immediate responsibilities of her life. In the end it came down to a choice between her friends and a comforting white room. A part of her knows that it's not the truth but she still goes for the easy comfort as she has become so disconnected from her friends that she does not have the will power to miss such an opportunity. However she relents realizing how important the relationship between all of them is and brings her to the realization that no matter how cut off she's feeling she still does care for her friends enough to make a great sacrifice to be with them.

Normal Again is so often confused for a stand-alone but it really is the turning point of Buffy's arc in Season Six

Comment

"Normal Again" is what makes Buffy fight off her depression. What she imagines is in her head, it?s not real. That episode is also meant to describe her mental state at the moment. I mean, she is willing to drown herself in this fantasy world rather than face her real life.

Comment

This illusion also was very scary "opponent" to fight. The "real world scenario" that was created for her semed so very rational and plausible, whereas her real backstory suddenly seemed so far-fetched in comparison and fit to let her doubt it was real, and her parents still being together, and more importantly, her mother still alive, was a great temptation for her.

If you have a dream, how would you know it is a dream if you haven't woken up yet?
            Sin is what I feast upon
            I'm forging my crematorium
            Your tomb is waiting here for you
            Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

i always giggle with buffy/giles when they are laughing about it when they reunite in grave...

GILES: (laughing) Duct tape?
              BUFFY: (laughing) On their mouths. So the demon could eat them...
              GILES: Because they were figments.

BUFFY: All of it! You, Sunnydale ... And I was just some nutcase in L.A.
              GILES: (still laughing) Of course. Why didn't we see it before?

Comment

It would be interesting to think that it was all in Buffy's head, it would take the show to a whole new level in a way, but it can't be because of Angel (the series), there is no way Buffy imagined Angel going off to LA with Cordelia and some Irish-half demon called Doyle and everything else that happens.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                  It would be interesting to think that it was all in Buffy's head, it would take the show to a whole new level in a way, but it can't be because of Angel (the series), there is no way Buffy imagined Angel going off to LA with Cordelia and some Irish-half demon called Doyle and everything else that happens.
                  Good point, I guess that kinda ruins the whole I wonder what is really going on. Cuz there is no way she could have imagined all that too. It's still cool to look at it in a sense that Buffy possibly could be dreaming it up. It just makes the show that much more attracting and interesting.

Comment

But I thought all interpretations were plausable? I have read some wonderful analysis on Normal Again and how Spike, Willow, and Xander make up the doctor, mom, and dad etc. and I am sure that it was made that way to give the audience the fun of figuring out what Buffy was doing to deal and finally break out of her depression....however I do think that there is something to be said in the possibility that it is all made up because it is great to make fun of the creative world we are watching and all that is apart of it. Especially when there were fans who were not loving the direction of the show...many since Dawn's arrival...I applauded the understanding Joss and the writers had for all different views from the fans and of course the ability to make fun of themselves in a way. I thought both ways it was absolutely brilliant and one of my favorite episodes in all the Buffyverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      She would have one creative mind if she thought of two different verses at once lol. I had never thought about it that way before. I always thought that it could be a possibility that the whole thing was made up, but now I see that it can't be. But what an intriguing idea to make the viewers go how? what? when? lol That's the great thing about Buffy and Angel, they always keep you guessing

Originally posted by Pagy View Post
                      i always giggle with buffy/giles when they are laughing about it when they reunite in grave...

GILES: (laughing) Duct tape?
                      BUFFY: (laughing) On their mouths. So the demon could eat them...
                      GILES: Because they were figments.

BUFFY: All of it! You, Sunnydale ... And I was just some nutcase in L.A.
                      GILES: (still laughing) Of course. Why didn't we see it before?
                      Definetly one of the best/funniest moments on the show And a nice light hearted moment between Buffy and Giles.

Originally posted by Bloodsucker View Post
                      This illusion also was very scary "opponent" to fight. The "real world scenario" that was created for her semed so very rational and plausible, whereas her real backstory suddenly seemed so far-fetched in comparison and fit to let her doubt it was real, and her parents still being together, and more importantly, her mother still alive, was a great temptation for her.

If you have a dream, how would you know it is a dream if you haven't woken up yet?
                      Exactly ..great analysis It puts the actual real world verses Buffy's and everyone elses real world. Just like Bloodsucker says, its truly not that far-fetched. So how would one not get confused and want to stay where its light and safe. Verses the seemingly dark and hard life that she has now. If I were her I can not quite say what I would do. In the show she had just been resurected and yanked out of peace. Then she sees how calm the enviorment is in her 'unreal' reality. Tough choice
                      Originally posted by buffyholic View Post
                      "Normal Again" is what makes Buffy fight off her depression. What she imagines is in her head, it?s not real. That episode is also meant to describe her mental state at the moment. I mean, she is willing to drown herself in this fantasy world rather than face her real life.
                      It was a great way to show her mental state too. She had to bring herslef back from a lot I think. Her mother and father were there. She had no real obligations. No monsters, vampires, magic...all just so easy. For her to break out of the depression using the episode was genious. It just goes to show that Buffy is just as strong as she has ever been, if not stronger.

Originally posted by XavierZane View Post
                      It provides a very intriguing way of looking at the show. If Buffy's making it all up, then what function does each character serve her psyche? Why did she choose to die twice? Why have her dad leave? etc.
                      I have thought about this before. I did not come up with much besides she wanted to make an exciting life for herself. But if it is really her own world then I don't understand her decisions about her father. I always thought that she might have created Dawn to have someone that would be there for her. Another person that she could love with all her heart, and not have them leave her. But like I said before, IMO she had Dawn come into her fantasy as this big magical key to keep her fantasy exciting. I still am puzzled by her choice to kill her mother. Any thoughts ?
                      Last edited by bradyml57; 30-01-09, 04:25 AM.
                      Oz: Hey.
                      Oz: That girl. Who is she?
                      Devon: She's an exchange student. I think she's from South America.
                      Oz: No, not her. The Eskimo!

Comment

Originally posted by XavierZane View Post
                        If Buffy's making it all up, then what function does each character serve her psyche? Why did she choose to die twice? Why have her dad leave? etc.
                        I think she chose to die at those times because she felt that she had done and enough and helped the world as much as she believed she could. She had hope that there must be something better after her life as a slayer. For her father, I honestly don't no what to think. She has some warped view of her dad in her crazy reality? Or maybe she still felt she was the reason her parents divorced, and chose to have the life in sunnydale as a slayer to be with her Mom?

Originally posted by bradyml57 View Post
                        I have thought about this before. I did not come up with much besides she wanted to make an exciting life for herself. But if it is really her own world then I don't understand her decisions about her father. I always thought that she might have created Dawn to have someone that would be there for her. Another person that she could love with all her heart, and not have them leave her. But like I said before, IMO she had Dawn come into her fantasy as this big magical key to keep her fantasy exciting. I still am puzzled by her choice to kill her mother. Any thoughts ?
                        Although we'll never get to disect Buffy's thoughts an mind, I think the reason she killed her mother and brought Dawn into her life was maybe because she felt that her mother was giving up hope that Buffy would never be sane, so she brought in a sister that would always care for her, and that would never give up hope on Buffy because she never really existed prior the asylum. Or she was an excuse to have a reason to try and escape her life again becuase now Riley was gone, and everyone seemed happy. Willow and Tara, Xander and Anya, Giles - well Giles, but still happy, and everyone could take care of Dawn. Maybe she brought her in to make things have a happy ending, and have her friends remember her through Dawn. I dunno that's just one my guess's.

Comment

Working...
                        X