The Scythe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scythe...

Does anyone else on this forum wish they could get their hands on one of those replica Scythes that Factory X seem to make at the moment? I'm really contemplating buying one, they look so cool!

http://www.globalgear.com.au/prod1499.htm
    The master wants you. Throw away your cross, face the master. Your faith against his faith... Could you do that? Is your faith enough?... Then do it... Throw away the cross. Face the master. Faith against faith...

I'd rather have this: http://www.globalgear.com.au/prod1521.htm
    Sin is what I feast upon
    I'm forging my crematorium
    Your tomb is waiting here for you
    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

My friend almost bought the scythe but at the last minute decided not to. I do remember him commenting on how nice the people at Factory X were though, if that's any help. Though it'd be great to have one, to be honest I don't know what I'd do with it and I'd rather save my money for other things at the moment. But it is very cool

As is that sword replica, that’s a very sweet prop

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Yep, not much money here either. I have my sabre, though (yep, precisely one of those things you see Giles and Wesley practise with), and I'll get a second one soon since tournament regulations require you bring at least two. That'll have to be enough for me.
        Sin is what I feast upon
        Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I really like the sound it makes. It?s really cool. But what I really wanted to get my hands on was that boomerang shown in "Anne".

Comment

bronzed mr. pointy > *

Comment

Mr Pointy? Where?

Oh btw, does Buffy still have the very same Mr Pointy Kendra gave her later on? That one looks fairly characteristic with its "twisted" form, and I don't recall seeing it again.
              Sin is what I feast upon
              Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

i only recall the "buffy stake" available for sale (the one commonly used in season 2)

I don't think you ever see mr. pointy after becoming1 and buffy mentions that she had it bronzed.

Comment

Never really liked the look of the scythe. I always thought it looked too 'clean' and too bright red. Felt it needed aging more to make it look a bit more realistic somehow.

The whole thing also didn't seem to fit design wise with the rest of the Buffyverse. It looked too much like some kind of toy if you get my drift.

Comment

Yes, I do, and I understand very well what you mean, I sort of feel the same. Too garishly red for an ancient artefact, in a way, not like I would have imagined a thing like that to look.
                    Sin is what I feast upon
                    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Imagine what it would have looked like if either the red had been 'kicked back' more or dropped altogether in favor for a bronze colour or something.

I have to say I wince every time I see it. Even in the comics it looks a bit silly somehow.

Comment

Bronze would lok better, in m opinion. Less agressively shiny.
                        Sin is what I feast upon
                        Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

On the other hand....

GILES: It appears to be paranormal in origin.
                          WILLOW: How can you tell?
                          GILES: Well, it's so shiny.
                          Cordially,
                          Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                          Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I love the look of the Scythe, even though it is in no way actually a scythe. It's more correctly an axe. It made sense that it was pristine -- first, it's got some supernatural properties, second, it's never actually been used until Buffy gets it. What didn't make sense about it is it's construction -- it's very industrial. The metal is clearly not hand-forged, there are the holes in the haft that are pretty modern to reduce the weight, but it looks like something manufactured. And it's really not enough to know that it was thought up for "Fray", since it was established in that story as being old, part of the Slayer heritage. The design and construction are anachronistic.

The thing that confused me most about it was Buffy's claim that it kills "three ways" -- I've never figured that out. It's an axe, it's a stabbing weapon with the stake, and... and... what? As a bludgeon with the back of the axe head?
                            sigpic
                            Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
                              it's never actually been used until Buffy gets it.
                              Not exactly - it was used once before, to kill the last True Demon on Earth on the site of what would become Sunnydale. My personal fanwank is that the demon's body turned into solid rock over the millennia, and that rock is what we see the Scythe embedded in in 'Touched'/'End of Days'.

I agree with you that it looks suspiciously modern and industrial-looking for a weapon forged thousands of years ago - but then, it was presumably created and shaped through mystical means rather than by a blacksmith beating it out on an anvil.

The thing that confused me most about it was Buffy's claim that it kills "three ways" -- I've never figured that out. It's an axe, it's a stabbing weapon with the stake, and... and... what? As a bludgeon with the back of the axe head?
                              Remember she's just killed three Ubervamps with it when she says that, each of them in a different way. From the shooting script:

Buffy, holding the scythe by its handle, PUNCHES Uber One right in the throat - with the scythe's BLADE. The Blade goes right through its NECK in one solid motion. Decapitated, the Uber DUSTS before Buffy can even pull back her fist.

And while this punch is still extended, Ubers Two and Three rush Buffy from behind. They move fast - but Buffy spins and the STAKE end of the scythe goes right through Uber Two with a hideous CRUNCH - passing through his stone-hard breast bone and into his heart.

ROARING, Uber Two DUSTS. Leaving only Uber Three, who GRABS Buffy and in the same motion HURLS HER hard onto the metal grating. Then JUMPS HER.

Buffy ROLLS BACWARD, out of Uber Three's reach, and, coming up, FLIPS THE scythe over into position so once she's on her feet facing Uber Three ---

She's in perfect position to use the thing as an AXE. Which she does, cutting Uber Three's HEAD OFF. It DUSTS instantly.

Comment

I agree with you that it looks suspiciously modern and industrial-looking for a weapon forged thousands of years ago
                                And thats what I didn't like about it. It looked too 'just off the assembly line' to me.

but then, it was presumably created and shaped through mystical means rather than by a blacksmith beating it out on an anvil.
                                And someone with a poor idea of design IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by stormwreath View Post
                                  Not exactly - it was used once before, to kill the last True Demon on Earth on the site of what would become Sunnydale. My personal fanwank is that the demon's body turned into solid rock over the millennia, and that rock is what we see the Scythe embedded in in 'Touched'/'End of Days'.
                                  That's a very good fanwank. Especially considering how Acathla turned to stone when he was originally killed. And it makes sense that only a Slayer could pull the scythe out of the rock it's embedded in.

As for the scythe itself, I don't especially like it. Since when has Buffy been about the fancy weapons? I don't mind Melaka Fray using it in the future; something as strange looking as the scythe fits right in with her world, but I've never really liked it on Buffy. And as others have said, for an ancient weapon it's too clean looking and too industrial.

Buffy's been killing monsters just fine for years with makeshift stakes. I don't think she needs a cool fancy weapon.

Comment

I was at DragonCon - last day - and spied a Scythe going home on a luggage carrier...I just wanted to pick it up and see what it felt like...but I didn't...
                                    -TP<3
                                    "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
                                    - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

True, good wanking there, Storm. I like the dead demon turned to rock thing.

Well, yes, Buffy never needed a fancy weapon... but on the other hand, she has a fairly "fancy job" fighting evil, and in that great battle against the First it is pretty much a symbol, so I liked the concept of the scythe.
                                      Sin is what I feast upon
                                      Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

The scythe itself never bothered me. Its appearance and existence are pretty much covered by the Rule Of Cool. What does kinda bother me is the sudden appearance -- in the series finale -- of a group of "Guardians" that has supposedly existed since before the beginning of recorded history to watch the Watchers. But they've had to stay hidden and, thus, never stepped in in all the time the Watchers have been controlling, manipulating, coercing, and (occasionally) killing Slayers. and they just happen to have a lair in a fairly clean, well-lit masoleum in Sunnydale that Buffy just happens to have never have looked in before. Oh, and the Guardian hanging out in said lair is old enough to have been one of the ones who put the scythe in the rock (which, BTW, kinda rules out a Slayer doing it) yet she can be killed by a simple neck twist. That all kinda bugs me.
                                        Cordially,
                                        Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                                        Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Working...
                                        X