Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of the Episodes Chosen: What is Your Favorite Episode of BTVS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of the Episodes Chosen: What is Your Favorite Episode of BTVS?

Looking over a lot of Message Boards.. You often see many of the same episodes mentioned as being amoung BTVS Fans Favorites. I put together a list of most of the episodes I've seen that often make the lists of many fans most favorite episodes..

Narrowing it down can you vote for your MOST Favorite BTVS Episode on the Poll?

Explain why it's your favorite episode and then list three other episodes that are your close runner ups.

-----

My Choice is Fool For Love
    From the amazing acting, to the camera work, to the chemistry between Sarah and James and the delicious crossover with ATS/BTVS. It's just the most amazing episode for me. I love those episodes that allow me , as a viewer, to dig deeper into a character's past. Spike has always been one of my most favorite characters, and to see an entire episode dedicated to his past and his POV.. and to really get the intensity of his emotions both as a human and a vampire, when it comes to love and relationships was a thrill for me.

I loved the shock that in life he was really a soft sort of weak man, still a sort of type who was ruled by his emotions and to see that never really changed even through his very dark decention as he became a vampire and joined up with Drucilla, Angelus and Darla.

And I loved seeing the advancement of what became one of the most amazing and favorite parts of the show for me and that Spike's character evolution and Spike/Buffy's relationship evolution.
    Prophesy Girl
    4.76%
    Innocence
    3.17%
    Passion
    11.11%
    Becoming pt 1 and 2
    11.11%
    Doppelgangland
    3.17%
    Graduation pt 1 and 2
    3.17%
    The Prom
    0.00%
    The Wish
    1.59%
    This Year's Girl/Who Are You?
    0.00%
    Hush
    1.59%
    Restless
    1.59%
    Fool For Love
    15.87%
    The Body
    6.35%
    The Gift
    9.52%
    Once More With Feeling
    17.46%
    Tabula Rasa
    3.17%
    Normal Again
    0.00%
    Conversations with Dead People
    3.17%
    Chosen
    1.59%
    Other (Explain)
    1.59%
    Joss Whedon: What I basically said was 'Play the romance. Be proud of him. Love him when you say you love him.. - Spike and Buffy in Chosen
    TV Guide: Spike and Buffy #1 Hottest Scene- March 2008

The Gift all the way. It has been my favorite episode for years now and I'm not turning my back on it. I have been amazed by it. The beginning, the middle, and the end are all truly fantastic. The teaser with the "I'm just a girl" line blows me away. The epic sacrifice at the end is so moving and just so fantastic Also, the giant battle and Glory's death and Tara/Willow getting reunited and Spike almost dying to save Dawn, and Anya pushing Xander away from the falling rubble, the proposal, aww!!!! I love it all so much.

The three runner ups out of the eppys on the poll for me are...(in no order)

1. "Becoming" (Parts 1 & 2) - because it is so fantastic, so action-packed, so interesting, so wonderfully acting, so emotional, and just an all-around fantastic episode. This is a close second for my all-time fav eppy of Buffy.

2. "Restless" - blows me away. Not a huge fan of dream sequences but holy mother frakking crap, this episode is just so intriguing. I love the non-traditional finale done right!

3. "The Body" - makes me cry. I hate to rewatch it, but damn, this episode is top-notch in every field: direction, writing, acting, editing, and score (I know there isn't music, which is why it's top-notch ) So emotionally fantastic.

Comment

My Three Follow Ups would be:

Once More with Feeling:
      I just think the episode is genius. You know it was the 6th season and you think that by then a show just can't top themselves then Joss pulls this out of his hat. It was so inventive, to just have the characters belt out their intermost feelings like that. And each had their own tone and feeling to them.

The Gift:
      For me it was probably one of the most emotional episodes ever in the history of the show. I just think it showed at heart who Buffy was. The beginning actually has one of my most favorite moments. Where Buffy is just saving this guy from a vampire and he says "You're just a girl" and she says "That's what I've been saying" or something like that.
      It hits home and basically says it.. she's just a girl and yet she has this HUGE mission and responsibilty on her shoulders and by the end of the show you see that she accepts it and it's beautifully tragic.

Becoming PT 1 and 2:
      I think season 2 really stepped BTVS's game up. And you see a sudden shift of darkness in the show. Throughout the season it's all been leading up to this showdown with Angelus. The coming of Acthala, Spike being mobile and Dru/Angelus being in the dark about it, Dru killing Kenda, Spike/Buffy pact, Joyce finding out about Buffy and their fight, Willow returning Angel's soul just as Buffy is forced to send him to hell, Buffy leaving town. Just some huge dramatic moments where it leaves you wondering how in the hell will it pick up from here?
      Joss Whedon: What I basically said was 'Play the romance. Be proud of him. Love him when you say you love him.. - Spike and Buffy in Chosen

Comment

Passion

It was the only time a big bad really shocked me, I was so sure that Jenny would be saved in the end. But instead Angel got to play with her, Giles and the other scoobies in a very sadistic way. Also Angelus' voice over is a favourite of mine. I think that's the main reason why I love this episode so much, the shock and understanding that it's on.

Also the acting is amazing, it's by far ASH's best episode and also SMG, AH, RM and DB are totally on.

runners up;

2. Innocence
        3. Becoming part 2
        4. Restless
        5. Prophecy Girl
        Last edited by Nina; 11-02-09, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Very difficult Nina! Why do you do this to me? lol
          I chose Tabula Rasa. This episode, rather brilliantly and methaphorically speaking of course, transforms all the characters to a "clean slate", a "Tabula Rasa".
          I think the Randy/Joan thing is just hilarious. The spell explores all the characters as they could be but are not. Very interesting stuff. And how cool is the loan shark? And of course, the first ever real Spuffy kiss....

I think it's so sweet that, despite having no idea who they are, Buffy and Dawn automatically know they are sisters. It's also interesting that Anya and Xander have no connection (which forshadows their doomed relationship), while Xander is intially attracted to Willow. While adversely, Buffy and Spike band together as allies and have no bad will between them, and Willow and Tara obviously sense something about eachother and seem at ease from the start.

Spike also seems to forshadow getting a soul later when he assumes he is a good vampire with a soul. Could just be a ironic nod at Angel...but I think it's a hint at his eventual getting of the soul. And how funny is it when Buffy/Joan says: "A vampire with a soul? How lame is that!" Us Spuffies find that quite delightful Also noted is that Randy means sexually aroused in British slang...

Spike's entire rationalization speech for why he's a vampire helping the "helpless" is an almost direct description of Angel's life and motives....

Good stuff
          Every Slayer has a death wish. Even you.
          ?I think it?s the title of the show. Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It?s like a line in the sand. And unless you appreciate irony and are somewhat sophisticated you?re not going to watch that show.?
          - James Marsters

Comment

Difficult indeed. I really can't say which is m favourite episode because I have many. Of the above, I picked Becoming 1 & 2, but if I had to list all my favourites, it would be a long list indeed.
            Sin is what I feast upon
            I'm forging my crematorium
            Your tomb is waiting here for you
            Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

This is so hard! I have so many favourites, it becomes tough to choose, even 5. But I chose The Gift, followed by Becoming pt 2, Fool for Love, Restless, Once more with Feeling and more. I just can?t choose a particular number of episodes.

Comment

Yeah, join the club.
                Sin is what I feast upon
                Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

The gift. I love that episode.

It has all of Buffy. If there's anything that explains Buffy better, it's The Gift. It talks about Self Sacrifice, Death, Relationship, Love, Lose, and etc...
                  It's just so amazing.

Click for art and tomfooleries

Comment

Originally posted by LifeIsJustThis View Post
                    Very difficult Nina! Why do you do this to me? lol
                    What did I do?

The credits for this thread should all go to Dazzling.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                      What did I do?

The credits for this thread should all go to Dazzling.

I'll take them!

So sorry though. It is a hard choice.. It's easy to make up the options. Then when it comes to making your own choice you're like "uh oh.. I'm scr****"!"

Comment

Got to be Hush, the one time that Buffy was genuinely eerie.
                        The Department of Occult Investigation.
                        For when you're harassed by the horrific.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                          Passion

It was the only time a big bad really shocked me, I was so sure that Jenny would be saved in the end. But instead Angel got to play with her, Giles and the other scoobies in a very sadistic way. Also Angelus' voice over is a favourite of mine. I think that's the main reason why I love this episode so much, the shock and understanding that it's on.

Also the acting is amazing, it's by far ASH's best episode and also SMG, AH, RM and DB are totally on.
                          I totally agree and for the same reason.

Passion is just... humming... right down to the disk falling between the desk to ash & smg standing on jenny's grave. it's such a huge moment for buffy as a character.

angelus' voice over is beautiful and insightful in an episode where he is pure evil. the scene where he watches buffy & willow receive the phone call gives me chills just thinking about it... all to end with sarah's head falling and the cryptic smile from david.

and here i thought i was the only person in love with Passion where most people would go with once more or hush...

Comment

The Wish...

By far my favorite EVER episode of Buffy, it proposed a 'what if' question...

What if Buffy had never come to Sunnydale and the Master had risen like he intended to in 'Welcome to the Hellmouth'?

I loved this whole episode,

1. Meeting Anya for the very first time
                            2. Seeing Vamp Willow and Vamp Xander for the first time
                            3. The return of the Master (my favorite big bad EVER!)
                            4. Seeing Cordelia bite the dust (no pun intended)
                            5. Seeing a cynical, joyless and battle hardened Buffy appear on the scene (who I thought was somewhere inbetween Kendra and Faith in terms of her personality)
                            6. Watching the bizarre final moments as the Scoobies battle each other and kill each other one by one
                            7. Finally seeing the Master get his revenge on Buffy by violently breaking her neck at the end of the episode, and finally;
                            8. No mention of Spike anywhere!

There is not one thing about this episode I do not like, it will always be my favorite!
                            The master wants you. Throw away your cross, face the master. Your faith against his faith... Could you do that? Is your faith enough?... Then do it... Throw away the cross. Face the master. Faith against faith...

Comment

I voted for The Body, Normal Again and Conversations With Dead People are second and third.

The Body was brilliant, such a great episode, the acting was fantastic and there was so much realism to it, I just wish that the vampire hadn't been at the end and it would've been even better, just to see if there could've been an episode of Buffy without any mention of the supernatural, would it have been ripped apart by critics without the vampire?

Normal Again was great again, I could've lived without the skanky demon that made it all come about though, that and the continuity error where Buffy said she had been in an institution before, yet she clearly hadn't because you would've heard about it from Joyce. That said, I love the premise of the episode, the way it completely denies the existence of the show, I know Buffy's world was obviously the real one, otherwise Angel wouldn't exist because Buffy can't imagine all of those other characters too, but I just think it was great how they tried to defy everything by making you think, "Hang on, what if Buffy never had left that institution? What if none of that was real?"

Conversations With Dead People, I could've lived without the Holden parts which subsequently led to the crap story with Spike killing people again, like I care, but the rest was great, if only Nick Brendon had been in it, visited by Jesse or somebody, I think that would've been brilliant, or Larry. I loved how we were subtly led to believe it was really Cassie until she turned into the right bitch at the end and I love Dawn's sections, it shows her becoming strong and independent, dealing with the situation herself. I'm still in denial about whether it was Joyce or not, I'm fairly certain it was her, there's no way the first could've eminated all of that light into the room, but that could've been as a result of the Banishing spell.
                              sigpic

Comment

I reacted on Impulse. I would definitely have said the Gift, and a bunch of others, but Conversations with Dead People is the most recent one I've seen and it is so good!

Mostly, it's because it's just works in all aspects. Number one: Azura Skye's Cassey was amazing! And her conversation with Willow as Tara. CHILLS! Oh now I really want to watch it again. Although I'm happy she died so that she could be Cassey again, I wish she had stayed alive and become Dawn's friend! Then they could have started the the Scoobies all over. Except called it The Scoobies Ultimate. Too cheesy right? :XD

Comment

Graduation Day Pt 1 & 2 Although I would just pick part 2. I love a lot of the episodes on the list but I always feel a lot more overwhelmed by this episode. The scene when everyone stands up to help fight the mayor, just sends shivers down my spine it is great that they are all willing to put their lives on the line to help save the world. I also love the fight scene between Faith and Buffy in Part 1 and when Buffy makes Angel drink from her.

I think because of Becoming, The Gift and Restless this finale is often overlooked but I thought it was a brilliant ending to a brilliant season.
                                  sigpic

Comment

I think this is another statement of the greatness of the season! Having such a hard time deciding the best or even your favourite episode. That, for me is another reason why I feel Buffy so unique, and magical, and different from other shows.

Don?t forget: March, 10th is Buffy?s birthday!

Comment

Hang on... she says she's a Capricorn at the cusp of Aquarius, so that would make it January, right?
                                      Sin is what I feast upon
                                      Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsucker View Post
                                        Hang on... she says she's a Capricorn at the cusp of Aquarius, so that would make it January, right?
                                        I'm pretty sure bh means the show's birthday: 3/10/09 is the 12th anniversary of the series premiere.
                                        Cordially,
                                        Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                                        Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Working...
                                        X