Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In 'Tabula Rasa' was it fair for Giles to leave ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 'Tabula Rasa' was it fair for Giles to leave ?

Was it right for Giles to leave when Buffy needed him most ? Or was she depending on him for too many things ?
    Oz: Hey.
    Oz: That girl. Who is she?
    Devon: She's an exchange student. I think she's from South America.
    Oz: No, not her. The Eskimo!

I personally think it was a bad decision for Giles to leave. His point is valid, but I think he could have held off a few months before enforcing it.

On the flip side, though, he can't live his life solely for Buffy. If he wants to go to England, for whatever reason, it's his right to do so.

Comment

I think that Giles had the right to leave, but I think that he made the wrong decision or at least the wrong decision for the reason he gave. When he left Buffy he already knew that Buffy was not in a very good place. She was torn out of heaven and she had financial and emotional problems. That in combination with her duties as a slayer and her responsibility for Dawn was for me enough reason to say that Giles should've been there for her if he had no real reasons to leave her but her being depending too much on him. He is paid to be Buffy's watcher and him leaving her when she was an emotional wreck was just weird.

I agree with XavierZane that Giles should live his own life and has the right to do that. And if he had a sick family member or a very interesting job I would be okay with it. But he never gave any other reason than the one where he didn't want Buffy depending on him too much. Give the girl a break.
      Last edited by Nina; 23-12-08, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I think Giles did leave because he cared to much. He knew if he was there he'd help to much which can also be damaging. It wasn't a decision of logic but one made with the heart.

In his eyes she has all the knowledge he can impart as a Watcher and him being there is only increasing her dependency on him. I can't blame him too much (Buffy has be responsible for her own actions in Season 6 and to her credit she owns up them) although he wasn't strong enough to be there and not help too much.

Comment

Buffy needed somebody she could lean on. She carried heavy responsibilities and had little to live for. Nobody lifted a finger to get her back into college. IMO the departure of Giles, on top of everything else, drove her in Spike's direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            IMO the departure of Giles, on top of everything else, drove her in Spike's direction.
            I couldn't have said it better myself But hey, no complaints here Buffy's dark phase during the show was interesting to watch. It was wrong how she used Spike though.

I think that Buffy did become too dependant on Giles, but he didn't have to leave the way he did. She just got sucked back down to Earth and is still getting used to how things work. He could have set up some ground rules or something. Especially since Giles is so important to her. She trusts him more than anyone, and for him to go broke her.

For Gile's sake though, he probably thought that his leaving would help Buffy get back to normal faster. Well stand on her own two feet without someone to constantly lean on is a better comparison. He did have every right to leave I guess.
            Last edited by bradyml57; 24-12-08, 10:08 PM.
            Oz: Hey.
            Oz: That girl. Who is she?
            Devon: She's an exchange student. I think she's from South America.
            Oz: No, not her. The Eskimo!

Comment

Originally posted by kana View Post
              I think Giles did leave because he cared too much. He knew if he was there he'd help to much which can also be damaging. It wasn't a decision of logic but one made with the heart.

In his eyes she has all the knowledge he can impart as a Watcher and him being there is only increasing her dependency on him. I can't blame him too much (Buffy has be responsible for her own actions in Season 6 and to her credit she owns up them)
              I agree with Kana. There comes a time in the every hero's adventure when one must stand on their own. Giles knew that Buffy was becoming too dependent on him, and if you watch the episode closely, you can see the moment he realizes this. Of course she could've failed utterly to do this, there is always that danger, but that eventual moment of independence was what he was training her for since the beginning. It is a heart centered and necessary decision, as Giles or anyone could think of any number of reasons not to leave.

If one follows other similar motifs in related films and books, this theme is repeated in various ways, with the hero having to finally make a break with the mentor, wizard, jedi master, whatever. Buffy all this time has been a hero, but always under the expert tutelage of Giles. With the departure of Giles, Buffy has to assimilate her training, find her own center, and finally be the hero in totality. Giles returns later, of course, but in a different role than before, and the relationship with Buffy-as-hero obviously different, as now she is able to make her own, life-and-death critical choices, independent of consultation (a lead-in to later events in Season 7).
              Last edited by Madhermit; 25-12-08, 09:22 AM. Reason: missing word

Comment

Like previous posters, I do think Giles' departure led to the Spuffy House of Pain storyline. Giles had every right to leave and I do think Buffy needed to grow, but at the same time the timing SUCKED. If Buffy hadnt of died and Giles left during the same time in season 6 she may have been fine but her mum's death, her own resurrection and giles leaving was way too much for her.

Giles leaving probably caused him a lot of unbearable pain but I think it took guts to do it when he did. Sorry if I contradicted myself in this post, I do it daily lol.

Comment

I'll agree with most others Yes, like Xavier says, Giles has a right to leave and lead his own life. But, as Nina and some others pointed out, bad timing. Buffy is very vulnerable, and I don't think he quite realises how vulnerable she really is at this moment. I wonder if he still would have gone if he had truly seen what was going on with her.
                  Sin is what I feast upon
                  I'm forging my crematorium
                  Your tomb is waiting here for you
                  Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Working...
                  X