Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Have Been Your All Time Favorite Speeches or Monologues on BTVS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Have Been Your All Time Favorite Speeches or Monologues on BTVS?

BTVS is greatly known for it's amazing dialogue and moreover for seeing the character's POV through some of their shining moments of speeches and/or monologues on the show.

What are your most favorite BTVS Speeches and/or Monologues?

Vote in the poll and List 5 runner up choices
    Buffy in 'Prophesy Girl'
    8.00%
    Angelus in 'Passions' (Voice over for that Episode)
    10.00%
    Spike in 'Beneath You' (Revealing to Buffy that he has a Soul)
    6.00%
    Xander to Willow in 'Grave' (Attempting to Help Grieveing and Dark Willow)
    6.00%
    Anya in 'The Body' (Upset over Joyce's Death)
    6.00%
    Johathan to Buffy (Class Protector) in 'The Prom'
    4.00%
    Buffy to Angel in 'Amends' (Pleading with him to Fight)
    4.00%
    Dark Willow to Warren in 'Villians' (How a small bullet can destroy everything)
    0.00%
    Tara to Willow in 'Entropy' (Making Up With Willow)
    2.00%
    Spike to Buffy in 'Touched' (Encouraging her to Keep Going)
    8.00%
    Oz to Willow in 'Innocence' (Willow Kissage)
    2.00%
    Xander to Anya in 'Into the Woods' (About how he feels for her)
    2.00%
    Buffy to Spike in 'Never Leave Me' (Telling Spike she Believes in Him)
    4.00%
    Cordelia to Harmony in 'Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered' ('You're a Sheep..)
    0.00%
    Buffy's Speech in 'The Gift'
    8.00%
    Xander to Dawn in 'Potencial' (Dawn isn't Ordinary, she's extraordinary)
    8.00%
    Spike's Speech to Buffy in 'Afterlife' ("Every Night I Save You..)
    8.00%
    Buffy's speech to Johnathan in 'Earshot'
    0.00%
    Buffy's speech to everyone in 'Chosen'
    2.00%
    Other (Explain)
    12.00%
    Joss Whedon: What I basically said was 'Play the romance. Be proud of him. Love him when you say you love him.. - Spike and Buffy in Chosen
    TV Guide: Spike and Buffy #1 Hottest Scene- March 2008

For me the one I loved best wasn't in BTVS, but Spikes speech in the episode 'In the Dark' in Angel. "Not the hair. Never the hair!"

"Angel mobile away!!

Comment

Speeches about love are in the most cases way too cheesy for me and I had a gigantic problem with Buffy's speeches in season 7 because those were just bad. And her speech to dawn in Grave was more cheesy than all the love speeches combined. I think that the verse has two really great speeches and those are both by Angel (probably because he is the guy who is thinking about the big picture) and that are his speeches in Epiphany and Deep Down. Those two are powerful and a fantastic explanation about why they fight.

BtVS

My favourite;

Passion. It lies in all of us. Sleeping... waiting... And though unwanted... unbidden... it will stir... open its jaws, and howl. It speaks to us... guides us... Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have?
      It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion, maybe we'd know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank... Without passion, we'd be truly dead.
      - Passion

If I had to pick 4 others (random order);

When I killed him, Angel was cured. Your spell worked at the last minute, Will. I was about to take him out, and, um... something went through him... and he was Angel again. He-he didn't remember anything that he'd done. He just held me. Um, but i-it was... it was too late, and I, I had to. So I, I told him that I loved him... and I kissed him... and I killed him. - Faith, Hope & Trick (It's more SMG's fantastic acting and the power of the scene than the words, but I love it anyway)

Strong is fighting! It's hard, and it's painful, and it's every day. It's what we have to do. And we can do it together. - Amends (I think this is the only good inspiring speech Buffy gave, and it's kind of the raw and early version of Angel's brilliant speeches in Epiphany and Deep Down.)

I don't understand how this all happens. How we go through this. I mean, I knew her, and then she's, there's just a body, and I don't understand why she just can't get back in it and not be dead anymore. It's stupid. It's mortal and stupid. And, and Xander's crying and not talking, and, and I was having fruit punch, and I thought, well, Joyce will never have any more fruit punch ever, and she'll never have eggs, or yawn or brush her hair, not ever, and no one will explain to me why. - The Body (It never really made me cry or anything, but it's a great insight in Anya's character)

I saw what you did last night. You thought you were all special. Miss Sunnydale 2003. And the minute you found out you weren't, you handed the crown to Amanda without a moment's pause. You gave her your power. They'll never know how tough it is, Dawnie, to be the one who isn't chosen. To live so near to the spotlight and never step in it. But I know. I see more than anybody realizes because nobody's watching me. I saw you last night. I see you working here today. You're not special. You're extraordinary. - Potential (I think this is the only moment in season 7 where the writers really put some thought into the 'powerless' characters and show how important and strong they are.)
      Last edited by Nina; 14-12-08, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sueworld View Post
        For me the one I loved best wasn't in BTVS, but Spikes speech in the episode 'In the Dark' in Angel. "Not the hair. Never the hair!"

"Angel mobile away!!

I love that speech too , but I didn't put it on the the poll because it was about speeches on BTVS, and Spike made that speech on ATS.
        Joss Whedon: What I basically said was 'Play the romance. Be proud of him. Love him when you say you love him.. - Spike and Buffy in Chosen

Comment

I had to go with OTHER. Because Buffy's speech at the end of "Bring on the Night" still gives me chills when I hear it. And I am not a huge SMG fan but I found her performance her spectacular. You can hear her voice quiver. Love it.
          sigpic
          follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

I went with other, and I am voting for:

Xander's speech to Buffy from "Into the Woods". Though, I love his confession of romance to Anya, I always like when Xander gets all wise and thoughtful. His Riley speech was great. And coming in second would be his speech to Dawn in "Potential". Xander rocks.

Although Buffy's "Prophecy Girl" speech almost had me. That's just great.
            You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

hmmmmm, I tried to vote for two, but ended up picking Spike's 'Every Night I save you' speech in After Life. Though, I think I got it confused with the one I really meant, which was the 'how long have I been gone' convo at the beginning of After Life when Spike holds Buffy's hands..... But it was a toss up between that and the Beneath You ad-libbed monologue, because that too was just pure acting genius on the part of JM.

But an 'other' that I've always loved was the first 'speech' I ever saw - and that was Cordy's speech to Buffy in When She Was Bad - the 'spank your inner moppet' speech. It's what got me hooked on Btvs in the first place.....
              sigpic

Comment

I Chose Spike's Speech in Beneath You

Spike: Buffy shame on you, why does a man do what he musn't for her. To be hers, to be the kind of man who would never.. to be the kind of man. And she will look on him with forgiveness and everyone will forgive and love. He will be loved. So everythings okay right? Can we rest now? Buffy can we rest?

1. Buffy in The Gift:
                Buffy: Dawn, listen to me, listen. I love you. I will always love you. But this is the work I have to do. Tell Giles.. Tell Giles I figured it out and , and I'm okay.
                And give my love to my friends. You have to take care of them now. You have to take care of eachother. Dawn the hardest thing in this world, is to live in it. Be brave. Live. For me.

2. Anya in The Body:
                Anya: But I don't understand! I don't understand how this all happens how we all go through this. I mean I knew her and then she's theres just a body and I don't understand why she just can't get back in it and not be dead anymore. It's stupid. It's mortal and stupid. And Xander is crying and not talking and I was having fruit punch and I thought well Joyce will never have any fruit punch ever and she'll never have eggs or yawn or brush her hair, not ever and no one will explain to me why.

3. Spike to Buffy in Afterlife:
                Spike: Uhh I do remember what I said, the promise to protect her. If I'd of done that, even if I hadn't of made it, you wouldn't have had to jump. But I want you to know I did save you, not when it counted of course but after that.. everynight after that. I see it all again, I do something faster more clever you know, dozens of times, lots of different ways, everynight I save you.

4. Xander to Willow in Grave:
                Xander: I know you're in pain, I can't imagine the pain you're in and I know you're about to do something acocalyptically evil and stupid and hey, still want to hang. You're Willow... First day of kindergarten you cried because you broke the yellow crayon and you were too afraid to tell anyone. You've come pretty far , ending the world, not a terrific notion. But the thing is? Yeah I love you. I lovr crayon-breaky Willow and I love scary-veiny Willow. So if I'm goinh out, it's here. If you wanna kill the world? Well then start with me. I earned that.

Willow: You think I won't?

Xander: It doesn't matter, I'll still love you.

5. Buffy to Johnathan in Earshot:
                Buffy: You know what I was wrong, you are an idiot. My life happens to on occassion suck beyond the telling of it. Sometimes more than I can handle. And it's not just mine, every single person down there is ignoring your pain because they are too busy with their own. The beautiful ones, the popular ones, The guys that pick on you. Everyone. If you could hear what they were feeling. The loneliness. The confusion. It looks quiet down there . It's not. It's deafening.

Honorable Mentions:

1. Angelus's "Passion" Speech:

" Passion it lies in all of us, sleeping, waiting and though unwanted, unbidden it will stir open it's jaws and howl....It hurts sometimes more than we can bare, if we could live with passion maybe we'd know somekind of peace but we would be hallow, empty rooms , shuttered and dank, without passion we'd be truely dead."

----
                2. Spike's Touched Speech to Buffy:
                "100 plus years and theres only one thing I've ever been sure of.. you. Hey look at me, I'm not asking you for anything, when I tell you I love you, It's not because I want you or because I can't have you, I love what you are , what you do, how you try, I've seen you kindness and your strength I've seen the best and the worst of you and I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are, your a hell of a woman, your the one Buffy.."

----
                3. Spike's Speech to Angel/Buffy in "Lover's Walk:
                "Your not friends, you'll never be friends. You'll be in love until it kills you both. You'll fight and you'll shag and you'll hate eachother till it makes you quiver but you'll never be friends, love isn't brains children, it's blood, blood screaming inside you to work it's will, I may be love's bitch but at least I'm man enough to admit it."

----

4. Buffy's Speech to Spike in "Never Leave Me" :
                Buffy: "Your not alive because of hate or pain, your'e alive because I saw you change. Because I saw your penance."

Spike: "Window Dressing:

Buffy: "Be easier wouldn't it, if it was all an act but it's not. You faced the monster inside and you fought back, you risked everything to be a better man and you can be, You are. You may not see it, but I do. I do. I believe in you, Spike.

---

5. Oz to Willow in 'Innocence" :
                Oz: Sometimes when I'm sitting in class, you know I'm not thinking about class cause that would never happen. I think about kissing you and it's like everything stops. It's like freeze frame, Willow kissage.. Oh I'm not going to kiss you. Well to the casual observer , it would appear that you're trying to make your friend Xander jealous or even the score or something. And that's on the empty side. See in my fantasty when I'm kissing you, you're kissing me back. It's okay, I can wait.
                Last edited by Dazzling; 15-12-08, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I'm not really a fan of speeches or monologues in BtVS, I prefer the dialogue, the back and forth of that. I don't think the BtVS team is all that good at speeches - or at least, they don't do much for me. Perhaps it just doesn't fit (for me) into the framework of the show and the way the characters usually talk. The speeches tend to bring the schmaltz, or lose some of the wit of the show.

But I am partial to Jonathan's class protector speech. The fact that it's him making it makes it quirky and less sentimental somehow - especially with the interruptions from the crowd.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

Like, Bknick, my fav is Xander to Buffy in "Into the Woods" about Buffy's treatment of Riley - it's brings tears to my eyes *every* darn time I hear it. Then he goes home and gives the speech that *did* make the poll to Anya. In fact I totally everything about Xander in this ep!
                    sigpic

Comment

Xander's yellow crayon speech in Grave

Probably my favourite scene of the entire show. The acting from both of them (especially Aly) was just beautiful. A great ending to the sixth season.

Runners-up for me would be another Dark Willow one - her speech to Buffy at Rack's in Two to Go. Aly delivered it with such bite, it was just so awesome to hear her magicked-up self tear strips into the Buffster like that. Pretty much any scene where one character speaks for an extended amount of time in The Body would be another one!

Also gotta say I disagree the speeches bring the schmaltz and cheese. They're done much better than most drama TV shows out there. I think the dialogue in them is usually beautiful and doesn't feel awkward when spoken by the actors.

Comment

Anya in "The Body": Her speech just says what everyone thinks, that death is stupid and most of the times meaningless, and how we never see that person again.

Then:
                        "Willow Kissage" in Innocence
                        Angelus?s voiceovers in "Passion"
                        Spike?s speech in "Touched"
                        Xander?s speech to Anya in "Into the Woods"
                        Buffy?s speech in "Bring on the Night"
                        Anya?s speech about life in "Forever"

Comment

This was extremely hard for me but I ended up picking Xander's speech to Dawn in Potential. Just a great moment between the two of them and it was a rare moments in Season 7 that Xander got to shine...loved it.

5 more:
                          -Right below that is Anya's speech in the body, it is heartwrenching but truly honest and I love how vunerable and confused she is. Because aren't we all when someone we are close to dies?

-Xander(again) with the Crayon speech to Willow. He gets to save the world.

-Spike's Everynight I save you speech

-Oz's Willow kissage speech in Innocence

-Buffy (Faith) talking to Spike at the Bronze in Who Are You?
                          ...And you know why I don't? Because it's wrong.

Comment

I agree with Jenni Lou about Bring on the Night. I had forgotten about that scene. Having nailed the super vampire Buffy has convinced the potentials that victory is possible, that discipline, work, and courage can carry them through the coming battle. It is a speech from the gut of a fighting soldier and I loved it and I loved her. I fear the writers lost the plot afterwards, but nothing should detract from a magnificent moment for BtVS and SMG.

Comment

My favorite monolouge is the one from "Potential". Xanders speech is amazing and its so heartfelt and true. It almost makes me wanna cry sometime when I see it though.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by skinless View Post
                                My favorite monolouge is the one from "Potential". Xanders speech is amazing and its so heartfelt and true. It almost makes me wanna cry sometime when I see it though.
                                I remember reading that the person who directed it or wrote it or something was on set and watched it and they said it gave them chills or something.
                                It was an amazing speech. Xander is a good speech maker on the show.

Comment

I also have to agree with Jenni Lou:

Runners-up include:
                                  • Buffy's Prophecy Girl speech.
                                  • Her reply to Angel's "That's it, then. No weapons, no friends, no hope. Take all that away and what's left?" (Does a single word count as a "speech"?)
                                  • The First Slayer's introduction of herself ("I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction. Absolute. Alone.") and Buffy's reply about shopping and sneezing.
                                  • The First's monologue to Spike in 'Lessons' (It's not about good. Not about evil. It's about power.")
                                  • Decoy!Buffy's final words in 'The Chain' ("In the moments that matter, even our own names are just sounds people make to tell us apart. What we are isn't that. The real questions run deeper."

Comment

I had to choose Spike's Speech in "Touched", it makes me cry every time 'cause I think is just so, so, so beautiful. But there were so many others that were as amazing, so in order:

1. Spike's Speech to Buffy in "Touched"
                                    2. Xander's Speech to Dawn in "Potential"
                                    3. Angel's Speech in "Passion"
                                    4. Buffy's Speech in "The Gift"
                                    5. Spike's Speech in "Beneath You"
                                    6. Anya's Speech in "The Body"

Comment

I'm not given to getting emotional when I watch movies and TV. So it's quite an accomplishment when a scene causes that reaction in me - especially one that does so repeatedly. There's just one in all 12 seasons of Buffyverse TV that gets me every single time I watch it: Jonathan giving Buffy the Class Protector Award. No matter how many times I watch that episode, it makes me well up.
                                      Cordially,
                                      Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                                      Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Spike: "I dreamed of killing you. I think they were dreams. So weak. And you make me weak. Thinking of you, holding myself?and spilling useless buckets of salt over your...ending. Angel, he should've warned me. He makes a good show of forgetting?but it's here in me?all the time. The spark. I wanted to give you what you deserve. And I got it. They put the spark in me and now, all it does is burn. "
                                        Buffy: "Your soul."
                                        Spike: "A bit worse for lack of use."
                                        Buffy: "You got your soul back. How?"
                                        Spike: "
                                        Buffy: "Why? Why would you do - "
                                        Spike: "Buffy, shame on you. Why does a man do what he mustn't? For her. To be hers. To be the kind of man who would nev ? to be a kind of man. And she shall look on him with forgiveness. And everybody will forgive and love. And he will be loved. So everything's ok, right? Can we rest now? Buffy? Can we rest?"
                                        Every Slayer has a death wish. Even you.
                                        ?I think it?s the title of the show. Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It?s like a line in the sand. And unless you appreciate irony and are somewhat sophisticated you?re not going to watch that show.?
                                        - James Marsters

Comment

Working...
                                        X