Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Besides Joss, Who Is Your Favorite BTVS Writer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Besides Joss, Who Is Your Favorite BTVS Writer?

Besides Joss Whedon, Who is Your Favorite BTVS Writer?

Choose Your Favorite Writer and Then Choose At Least 3 of Your Favorite Episodes From that Writer
    David Greenwalt
    0.00%
    Marti Noxon
    7.89%
    David Fury
    7.89%
    Jane Espenson
    36.84%
    Doug Petrie
    34.21%
    Steven DeKnight
    0.00%
    Rebecca Rand Kirshner
    2.63%
    Drew Z Greenberg
    0.00%
    Drew Goddard
    7.89%
    Other(Explain)
    2.63%
    Joss Whedon: What I basically said was 'Play the romance. Be proud of him. Love him when you say you love him.. - Spike and Buffy in Chosen
    TV Guide: Spike and Buffy #1 Hottest Scene- March 2008

To Make it Easier for Some.. I looked up the episodes the writers have written.

I'll put them down so you can choose:

David Greenwalt:
    Teacher's Pet
    Angel
    School Hard
    Reptile Boy
    Ted
    Faith, Hope and Trick
    Homecoming

Marti Noxon
    What's my Line 1 co wrote
    What's my Line 2
    Bad Eggs
    Surprise
    Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
    Dead Man's Party
    Beauty and the Beasts
    The Wish
    Consequences
    The Prom
    Living Conditions
    Goodbye Iowa
    Wild at Heart
    New Moon Rising
    Buffy VS Dracula
    Forever
    Into the Woods
    Bargaining pt 1
    Wrecked
    Villians
    Bring on the Night

David Fury:
    Go Fish
    Helpless
    Choices
    Fear, itself
    Doomed co wrote
    The I, in Team
    Primeval
    Real Me
    Shadow
    Crush
    Bargaining pt 2
    Life Serial co wrote
    Gone
    Grave
    Showtime
    Sleeper co wrote
    Lies My Parents Told Me co wrote

Steven Deknight:
    Blood Ties
    Spiral
    All the Way
    Dead Things
    Seeing Red

Jane Espenson:
    Band Candy
    Gingerbread co wrote
    Earshot
    The Harsh Light of Day
    Pangs
    Doomed co wrote
    A New Man
    Superstar
    The Replacement
    Listening to Fear
    Triangle
    Checkpoint co wrote
    I Was Made to Love You
    Intervention
    Afterlife
    Flooded co wrote
    Life Serial co wrote
    Double Meat Palace
    Same Time, Same Place
    First Date
    Storyteller
    Sleeper co wrote
    Conversations with Dead People co wrote
    End of Days co wrote

Doug Petrie:
    Revelations
    Bad Girls
    Enemies
    This Year's Girl
    The Yoko Factor
    No Place Like Home
    Fool For Love
    Checkpoint co wrote
    The Weight of the World
    Flooded co wrote
    As you Were
    Two to Go
    Beneath You
    Get it Done
    Bring on the Night co wrote

Rebecca Rand Kirshner:
    Out of My Mind
    Tough Love
    Tabula Rasa
    Hell's Bells
    Help
    Potencial
    Touched

Drew Z. Greenberg:
    Smashed
    Older and Far Away
    Entropy
    Him
    The Killer in Me
    Empty Places

Drew Goddard:
    Selfless
    Conversations with Dead People co wrote
    Lies My Parents Told Me co wrote
    Never Leave Me
    Dirty Girls

Other Writers Included.. James Contor, Tracey Forbes.. if you believe they are the best.. please feel free to vote other and list some of your favorite episodes that they wrote.
    Joss Whedon: What I basically said was 'Play the romance. Be proud of him. Love him when you say you love him.. - Spike and Buffy in Chosen

Comment

I was torn between Jane Espenson, Steven DeKnight and Doug Petrie, but I went with Jane out of Spuffy solidarity. 'Sides, she's written more episodes than DeKnight, and I don't find her "misses" as abysmal as Petrie's ("As You Were", "Bring on the Night").

My favourites of hers are probably... "Intervention", "Conversations with Dead People", "After Life", "Earshot", "Band Candy", "Storyteller", "Life Serial" and "Checkpoint".

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

My favourite episode (Passion) is written by Ty King, sadly he only wrote two episodes for BtVS. I would've loved it to see more of his work for BtVS.

The early work of Marti Noxon and Doug Petrie are nice, but to be honest ... BtVS's best episodes are almost all written by Joss. It's a pity that some of the Ats writers never wrote for BtVS; Tim Minear is in my opinion the best writer on either show. Also Jeffrey Bell and Mere Smith are two Ats writers who wrote some episodes I really like.
        Last edited by Nina; 11-12-08, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Jane Jane jane Jane Jaaaane! I don't always pay attention to who writes what, but she seems to consistently bring the funny and the awesome.

I adore Band Candy, Earshot, The Harsh Light of Day, Pangs
          A New Man, Superstar, Intervention, Storyteller

And I will always defend Double Meat Palace. It is David Lynch with a side order of fries.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I agree that Marti's early work was quite good.. Looking over the episodes she did as a whole I was quite surprised at some of episodes she wrote. Very good.

I think I'm going to choose Jane

She's one of the earliest writers on the show besides Marti and David. I love her writing style , her comedy, and when she does drama it's good.

I'll think a bit more on it.

Comment

It was tough, but I went with Jane too. She's a great little writer, who's also a genuine fan of the show and it's character's and who actually cares about how they come across in her writing.

I have had the pleasure of meeting her in real life and a very self deprecating and lovely lady she was too.
              Last edited by sueworld; 11-12-08, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I like a lot of Marti Noxon's episodes, but Jane gets the nod. I find her sense of humour most amenable after Joss'. Plus, she has a terrific sense for telling the story, one that appeals to me a lot.
                Cordially,
                Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I always wonder how much actual writing some of these guys did. I mean the ideas were broken for the episodes long before the writers wrote them. For instance, Joss said that he was supposed to write the puppet episode but wanted to write A Hole In The World instead. So A) I wonder how they were chosen to write and B) how much writing each of them actually did. If you watch interviews with the writers they are always saying how fans tell them how much they liked one of the episodes they wrote and then end up quoting one of the lines Joss added after said writer had passed the work off. I hope Joss gives the same attention he did to Buffy to Dollhouse. Which, of course, would work against any of his other projects, but I'd be okay with that. For instance, Jane gets credit on Conversations With Dead People but she only wrote the Dawn/Joyce stuff. And I rant.

Having said that, I went with Doug Petrie.
                  "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Comment

I absolutely love love love Jane Epenson ! She writes almost all of my favorite fun episodes She definitely knows how to make a good Buffy episode.
                    Oz: Hey.
                    Oz: That girl. Who is she?
                    Devon: She's an exchange student. I think she's from South America.
                    Oz: No, not her. The Eskimo!

Comment

Originally posted by hawkedup View Post
                      I always wonder how much actual writing some of these guys did. I mean the ideas were broken for the episodes long before the writers wrote them. For instance, Joss said that he was supposed to write the puppet episode but wanted to write A Hole In The World instead. So A) I wonder how they were chosen to write and B) how much writing each of them actually did. If you watch interviews with the writers they are always saying how fans tell them how much they liked one of the episodes they wrote and then end up quoting one of the lines Joss added after said writer had passed the work off. I hope Joss gives the same attention he did to Buffy to Dollhouse. Which, of course, would work against any of his other projects, but I'd be okay with that. For instance, Jane gets credit on Conversations With Dead People but she only wrote the Dawn/Joyce stuff. And I rant.

Having said that, I went with Doug Petrie.
                      Well I saw Jane do a live commentary for Pangs, where she told us scene by scene how she went about writing it.

The scene where Joss did the most 'back seat driving' so to speak was that he wrote all of Spikes 'rant' at Buffy. 'I came, I conquered I felt real sorry about it'. The rest was all Jane and she really did a lot of research when it came to a great many areas in the script.

She was wonderful to listen to.

Comment

Went with Jane. Favorite episodes include Band Candy, Earshot, and Storyteller.

Doug Petrie would have been my second choice, though. Marti is always way too sappy and melodramatic for me, and David Fury never seems to really GET the characters completely (though I generally enjoy his episodes). Although Helpless is one of my all time favorite episodes, so props to Fury.
                        You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

Although I love the majority of the writes equally, I absolutely LOVE Jane she grasps comedy better than any of the others (Often but not always, better than Joss) And her commentaries have proven (In my opinion) to be the most entertaining to listen to on the dvds. She seems like an amazing person I'd love to hang out with her :P

Favorites of mine by her are:
                          Band Candy, Earshot, A New Man, Superstar, The Replacement, Intervention, Storyteller

:+: Shiny Nickel :+:
                          Last Updated 9/8/11

Comment

So I ended up choosing Jane Espenson

I just love her too much.

Some of my most favorite episodes:

Band Candy
                            Earshot
                            Pangs
                            Intervention
                            Afterlife
                            Life Serial
                            Sleeper
                            Storyteller
                            First Date
                            End of Days

Comment

Doug Petrie

Drew Goddard is a close second.

Comment

Jane.

Marty is pretty important also. But when it comes down to episode credits Jane takes it. Second to Joss that is.
                                ===Quote of the day===
                                "To read makes our speaking English good"

Xander

Comment

Can't pick between these two -

Goddard - Selfless, LMPTM, Dirty Girls
                                  Espenson - Storyteller, Pangs, Superstar
                                  Last edited by Flora; 13-12-08, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I chose Doug Petrie, he's especially great at writing dramain character confrontation scenes (Revelations, Two to Go to name but two). His episode quality is also the most consistent after Joss, IMO. Closely following would be Drew Goddard, he made such an instant impression with Selfless and every episode he penned after that was still great.

Comment

I voted for Jane Espenson, mainly because she's written a lot of good episodes, they might not all be my favourites, but there are some good ones there, more than the others anyway.

I don't think you should've excluded Joss from this poll though, not everybody favours his writing over everybody elses and so it would've made sense to include him too.
                                      sigpic

Comment

I chose Jane Espenson. Joss has penned most of my favorite episodes, many of which are the most powerful dramatic moments of the series. So that leaves me looking for the episodes that were the funniest and that category completely belongs to Jane Espenson.

My Top Episodes

1. Earshot
                                        2. Storyteller
                                        3. Intervention
                                        4. Band Candy

But I pretty much love every episode she's written with a few notable exceptions - Doublemeat Palace being the main Meh episode for me.

After Espenson I'd say Doug Petrie (Bad Girls, Fool For Love, This Year's Girl, Checkpoint), then David Fury (Helpless, Fear Itself, Crush, Grave) and finally Drew Goddard who made a huge impact considering he arrived in the final season (Selfless, CWDP, Dirty Girls).

Dazzling, thanks for the list of episodes penned by each of the writers. I was about to go look that up but then saw you had conveniently posted it. Great question too.
                                        Last edited by Emmie; 23-12-08, 04:38 PM.
                                        sigpic

Banner Set by thedothatgirl

Comment

Working...
                                        X