Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the episode "The Harsh Light Of Day"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the episode "The Harsh Light Of Day"...

the last episode that buffy wears the claddagh ring that Angel gave her?

I thought that she stopped wearing it in the third season, but then I saw it on her finger while her and Parker were dancing at the party.
    Oz: Hey.
    Oz: That girl. Who is she?
    Devon: She's an exchange student. I think she's from South America.
    Oz: No, not her. The Eskimo!

I doubt it would've been the last time Buffy the character wore it. I can imagine her wearing it as a good luck charm before going down into the hellmouth in Chosen or something like that. The writers probably just never made a point of it again because they were trying to separate BtVS and AtS to have separate, but related, identities.

Comment

I agree I don't think she wore it after that. She moved onto Riley. Then Spike. It would be almost a sign of disrespect. I don't want to think of Buffy like that. In Chosen, she admitted Spike was in her heart, Joss said Spike was the man in her life right now. It seems unlikely that she'd wear a ring that she symbolizes for her 1st love, years later when she had someone else in her life, moreover she'd put it on as a sign of luck when it meant someone completely different.

I didn't see that ring on Buffy from mid season 4-season 7 and that is how I think it should be . Any other way, it would have seemed odd and unhealthy, that Buffy would be wearing a betrothal ring that was given to her by her ex boyfriend when she was 17.

I don't see her wearing it as a token of affection or luck like it was just another piece of jewerly. We saw in season 3, she left it on the floor as a symbol that she was moving on. For her to wear it, seems to imply the opposite and implies she's stuck holding onto a relationship that ended when she was 18. That is just not good, especially when the entire point of BTVS and ATS is about Buffy and Angel growing and going down their own paths and to see them stuck in years in the past holding onto something, it just doesn't sit well in my stomache.

But I can't see her tossing it in the trashcan either. I'm sure it's something that is very sentimental to her.
      Dazzling
      Hellmouth Tourist
      Last edited by Dazzling; 10-12-08, 09:20 AM.
      Joss Whedon: What I basically said was 'Play the romance. Be proud of him. Love him when you say you love him.. - Spike and Buffy in Chosen
      TV Guide: Spike and Buffy #1 Hottest Scene- March 2008

Comment

I sorta think that it would be weird for her to be wearing it even in season 3. We never saw her go back and get it...or did we and i just don't remember ?

Comment

Originally posted by bradyml57 View Post
          I sorta think that it would be weird for her to be wearing it even in season 3. We never saw her go back and get it...or did we and i just don't remember ?
          I can't quite remember. I remember her leaving it on the floor in Angel's mansion and I thought something happened to it when Angel came back from hell.

I'd have to go back and rewatch it.
          Joss Whedon: What I basically said was 'Play the romance. Be proud of him. Love him when you say you love him.. - Spike and Buffy in Chosen
          TV Guide: Spike and Buffy #1 Hottest Scene- March 2008

Comment

i didnt think it would be the last time she wore either. its like when some one gives u sonething that u really loved u wouldnt stop wearing it coz something bad happened. its apart of her now, her past. its a good thing

Comment

Is this surely the Claddagh?

And if it is then it probably is the last time. I'm pretty sure she didn't wear it while dating Riley.

And another question. Did Buffy continue wearing the cross Angel gave her throughout the series? Or did she stop wearing that too at some point?
              sigpic
              banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

No, I don't think that she does. I just got finished doing a rewatch of all the episodes and I watched for it. I didn't ever notice it if she did end up wearing it again. Which is kind of sad lol. The cross was beautiful.

Oh, and it surley looks like the ring, but I can't be certain that it is. That's the reason I posted this forum

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think that I saw the cross again in season 6 or 7.

I was totally conficed that Buffy gave Dawn the cross in 'Lessons' ... was it a cellphone. (In my defence, how could I expect that they still had no cellphone, even Angel had already one for 4 years.)

The ring looks like a star, but I can't see it very clear.

Comment

I would imagine that it is the ring, for the reason that one of the deleted scenes from the episode (it's a damn shame it was cut, too) was Buffy talking about how she slept with Parker because she was trying to move on from Angel and prove she was moving on. Buffy's motives for sleeping with Parker were cut out of the episode, but it would make sense that she would be wearing the Claddagh while with Parker because of that deleted scene. It was a sign that it was still all about Angel for her and she actually hadn't moved on.

Regarding deleted scenes:

Spoiler:
                    Speaking of deleted scenes, the original trailer for City of... has a clip of Angel after tasting Tina's blood (another deleted scene). You can see him in anguish and wrenching himself up with a flip of the jacket. There's also a clip in the Harsh Light of Day/In the Dark trailer that shows a shot of Angel with blood on his lip that I don't recall from any episode (could be wrong). Then there's a clip in the trailer for To Shanshu in L.A. that shows Angel on the ground after his office blows up that I don't recall seeing in the episode.

Ah, some of those clips should really be edited back in, IMO. The Harsh Light of Day one actually involved an explanation of Buffy's motive for sleeping with Parker so soon and blindly.

I would put the deleted scenes in City of... with Angel tasting Tina's blood and then being the only one showing up at her funeral and clutching a cross with the hand he tasted her blood from is very high on my list of things I want back in the episode for narrative reasons (the line about Buffy's blood was part of a bloodlust message that was set-up for the Tina scene and dropped--leaving that line and the beginning with the girl's bleeding forehead left hanging). It's right up there with The Harsh Light of Day having Buffy's motives for sleeping with Parker unexplained. There's also a deleted scene of the Anointed One visiting Angel in his apartment in Prophecy Girl and talking to him about Buffy--it is another scene that would really fix the incomplete narrative as to Angel's motives before Xander's visit. The missing stuff from Angel (the episode) was Buffy stealing dinner, more on Xander's feelings about Buffy and Angel and taking care of her mother after the hospital. That episode would probably end up being the one with the most cut out of it just in terms of three deleted scenes (a lot of Joyce was cut out).

Funny thing, sometimes deleted scenes leave bloopers. There's a scene where Gunn walks into Angel's office and he has blood on his lip. It turns out there is a deleted scene right before it where Gunn mistakes Angel's blood for V-8 juice. Well, the blood on Gunn's lip is either a blooper or it is canon that the scene happened, but you didn't see it.

Also, I just recently read Joss' treatment for the unaired pilot which later morphed into Welcome to the Hellmouth. Angel is in it and apparently David was cast way back in the summer of 1996 when the pilot was filmed, but his scenes weren't used for the half-episode treatment. The Master also appears and talks about killing a Slayer during the Spanish Civil War. The Whistler version of City of... is also a fun nugget. Killed by Me was written to be a pre-Angelus episode involving Buffy's grandmother instead of her cousin. It includes a scene of Angel rushing Buffy into the hospital and being uncomfortably questioned--very similar to the scene that was eventually in Graduation Day, pt. 2. Cordy's commercial video in Hero originated in the aborted Corrupt script.

Here are some of the most significant, IMO, deleted scenes that actually make the plot a lot more coherent (and I tossed in the proto-Grad. Day scene as well):

Spoiler:
                    INT. ANGEL'S APT - NIGHT.
                    CLOSE ON: ANGEL: as he wakes suddenly from a nightmare, lying in his bed. He looks around, disoriented. Then he looks down. Collin is sitting at the foot of his bed. Cross-legged, staring quietly at him. Angel pulls himself slowly into a sitting position, never taking his eyes off the boy.

COLLIN
                    He said you lived like one of them. I don't understand it.
                    ANGEL
                    Maybe when you're older.
                    COLLIN
                    People are weak. They're stupid. Why would you want to be one?
                    ANGEL
                    Did he send you?

The boy nods.

COLLIN
                    He's coming. Soon. Stay out of his way.
                    ANGEL
                    Why should I?
                    COLLIN
                    Because he doesn't like you anymore.

The boy slides off the bed, starts to leave. Turns back to Angel.

COLLIN
                    You know what he could do to you...
                    ANGEL
                    (a trace of fear) Yes...
                    COLLIN
                    No you don't.

He leaves. Angel doesn't move.

================

INT. SUNNYDALE HOSPITAL ENTRANCE AREA - LATER THAT NIGHT
                    A cold, antiseptic, dreary place. Eerily silent. PATIENTS in various states of illness and injury sit waiting. The calm is shattered as Angel BURSTS through the hospital doors, carrying Buffy.

ANGEL
                    I need help! Can somebody help me?

A few HOSPITAL STAFF MEMBERS rush to help him.

INTERN
                    What happened?
                    ANGEL
                    She was attacked.

Buffy is placed on a gurney and WHEELED down the hall as an INTERN begins to examine her. Angel crowds him.

INTERN
                    The patient is unconscious. (examining eyes) Pupils are unequal and unreactive.
                    ANGEL
                    What does that mean? Is she going to be okay?
                    INTERN
                    Sir, you need to give us some room.

Still on the move, they meet up with another doctor, a woman in her mid-thirties. This is DR. WILKINSON.

DR. WILKINSON
                    What've we got?
                    INTERN
                    Teenage girl, assault victim. Possible fractures, nonresponsive.
                    DR. WILKINSON
                    Get her into Trauma One. Give me a CBC, chem 7, type and screen.

They wheel her into a room. Angel starts to follow them in. Dr. Wilkinson stops him.

DR. WILKINSON
                    Excuse me, you're going to have to wait out here.
                    ANGEL
                    Someone should be with her.
                    DR. WILKINSON
                    You're going to have to wait out here.

Dr. Wilkinson hurries inside, swinging the door closed. Angel waits outside, helpless.

ANGEL'S POV through the window:
                    as the Slayer lies near death. Doctors and nurses surround her in a flurry of activity. Angel looks around the hallway uncomfortably. He sees a UNIFORMED OFFICER at the far end talking to a NURSE. Angel backs away out of the officer's earshot. A HAND lands on Angel's shoulder. He jumps. Turns around. The intern stands there with a clipboard.

INTERN
                    Excuse me, sir. I know this isn't the best time, but I need to get some information. Can you tell me the girl's name?
                    ANGEL
                    Buffy Summers.
                    INTERN
                    (writing) Your relationship to Ms. Summers?

Angel pauses for a beat.

ANGEL
                    Friend.
                    INTERN
                    (writes that down) You say she was attacked?
                    ANGEL
                    Yeah. A couple of guys.
                    INTERN
                    The police officer will want to get a full report and description.
                    ANGEL
                    Police officer? Oh, well, actually, I don't think we'll be seeing those guys again.
                    INTERN
                    It's standard procedure in cases like this. If you could just wait here...

The intern moves to get the officer. Angel watches him for a beat. The intern talks with the officer, points to where Angel stands, then leads him back down the hall.

INTERN
                    ...brought in an assault victim and-- (then) Where did he go?

The intern and the officer look around. Angel is gone.

================

INT. TINA'S APT. - DUSK
                    We HEAR footsteps in the hall outside. The door, left slightly ajar, is pushed open by Angel.
                    He sees - TINA ON THE FLOOR, next to the sofa-bed. CAMERA RUSHES AT HIM as the horror hits him.
                    FLASH CUT - TINA - o so ****ing dead on the floor.
                    FLASH CUT - The bite marks on her neck.
                    FLASH CUTS - The BLOOD EVERYWHERE (shot discreetly and fast!) but it's on the walls, it's on the bed, it's by her empty open eyes and her head twisted at a very unnatural angle on the floor.

ANGEL - trying hard to get his breath, makes himself walk up to her, makes himself look around this room in hell, makes himself kneel down next to the girl he couldn't save on the floor. He reaches out, strokes her face… he hangs his head to cry or vomit… he looks back at her and sees the BLOOD ON HIS HANDS NOW. He stares and stares at it - until he can't stand it anymore and suddenly thrusts one of his hands in his mouth, lapping up the blood ravenously, instinctively - until he utters some deep, inhuman sound and rips his hand out of his mouth.

SMASH CUT TO:
                    INT. TINA'S APT. - KITCHEN SINK - DUSK
                    Angel furiously washing his hands; scrubbing them nearly raw, sickened by what he just did. Behind him on the floor, Tina's body is a silent witness.
                    TELEPHONE NEAR TINA - As Angel picks it up, his eyes never leaving her.
                    INSERT HIS (now clean) hand - as it dials 911.

-----------------------------

EXT. FOREST LAWN - NIGHT - ESTABLISHING
                    Big old cemetery.
                    INT. MAUSOLEUM - NIGHT
                    Goes on forever: hundreds of small little lockers that hold individual urns. A lone figure stands in the middle of it all.
                    CLOSE ON THE FIGURE - ANGEL - Staring at one of the lockers, the plaque below it reads: CHRISTINA CLARKE 1967-1999.
                    He HEARS FOOTSTEPS. Doesn't turn as Whistler steps out of the shadows.

WHISTLER
                    Though I might find you here.
                    ANGEL
                    She just wanted to go home.
                    WHISTLER
                    Maybe in some way she is.

Angel tuns and looks at him with such cold fury that he takes a step back.

ANGEL
                    I wouldn't know about that. I do know she died in the coldest and deliberate hell I've ever seen. What he did to her wasn't about feeding, it was about ownership. He took everything she had…

Beat. He turns away.

ANGEL
                    (continuing) …no one even came to the funeral.
                    WHISTLER
                    You did.
                    ANGEL
                    Yeah. She had me…

Angel looks at Tina's name for a moment, then down at his hand - the hand he licked the blood from - suddenly he slams it into the wall - ripping a crucifix off, wrapping his fist around it.

WHISTLER
                    Angel -
                    ANGEL
                    Made a big difference in her life, didn't I. Powers that be really knew what they were doing this time.

Angel's hand starting to smoke and shake.

WHISTLER
                    Let go of that.
                    ANGEL
                    I got involved and I made it worse, that's what I do.

Whistler grabs him, tries to wrestle the cross out of his hand. Gets thrown back.

WHISTLER
                    Maybe you did, maybe I got the name wrong, maybe you were supposed to help somebody else, I don't know, nobody's showin' me the big picture. You want to die? They got a sunrise with your name on it every morning. You don't, then stick around and do something about this bastard before he puts another name up on that wall.

Angel glares at Whistler, his hand shaking and smoking furiously now. He hurls the crucifix away.

ANGEL
                    I didn't help her…

Whistler picks up crucifix, hangs it back up, moves to Angel.

WHISTLER
                    Here's the thing about pain… when it's too much to bear, you need to start sharing it with others.

POWER SHOT - low and cool - PUSHING IN on Angel -

================

EXT. CAMPUS - LATER THAT NIGHT
                    Buffy and Willow walk back toward the dorm.

BUFFY
                    So what I'm wondering is, does this always happen? Sleep with a guy and he goes all evil?
                    WILLOW
                    Well, from what I understand, pretty much. But it won't always be like that. You've just had some really bad luck.
                    BUFFY
                    I don't know, Will. Bad luck just happens. I made this happen.
                    WILLOW
                    Well, why shouldn't you, if it's what you want? I mean, as long as it's safe. Oh, Buffy, it was safe, wasn't it?
                    BUFFY
                    It was safe. It's not that. It's that the whole time, I kept thinking, hey, look at me with someone who isn't Angel. Look how much I'm not hung up on Angel anymore. Look how this is not all about Angel. God, how come I didn't see it?
                    NileQT87
                    The Dark Avenger
                    Last edited by NileQT87; 01-01-09, 01:12 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                    "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Well assuming that it is a claddagh ring, then maybe its the ring Scott tried to give her. I thought that the other ring was destoyed when Angel was brought back from hell. So maybe Scott did give it to her but it wasn't shown.

But I think that Nina is right. The ring looks more like a star.
                      bradyml57
                      Hellmouth Tourist
                      Last edited by bradyml57; 31-12-08, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure about the ring but regarding the cross, in the latest issue of season eight;

Spoiler:
                        Buffy finds the cross and stares at it for a while before muttering Angel's name sadly, whilst being placed back in her body in 1997. My best guess is that the cross along with everything but the clothes she was wearing at the time was lost when Sunnydale when into the crater.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Actually I really am thinking that the ring stayed at Angel's mansion in Faith, Hope and Trick. Maybe it got destroyed when Angel was brought back? It did seem to be an incentive of sorts.

Still curious about the cross though. When's the last time we saw her wear it on screen? Perhaps some Bangel fans know?
                          sigpic
                          banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

I think the last time we saw Buffy with the ring on screen was in 'Faith, Hope & Trick' but it's very plausible that after coming back Buffy either found it again at the mansion or Angel did and gave it back to her. Though I'm fairly certain that in the Buffy/Angel/Spike threesome panel in season eight's 'The Long Way Home' Buffy is wearing the ring on her finger. Though that's a fantasy of Buffy's and therefore not something that actually happened.

Buffy wears a cross on her neck in 'Beneath You' but it's not the one Angel gave her. Up to date, season eight's 'After These Messages...' is the last time we have seen Buffy with the cross, but as I mentioned above that's after she's been brought back in time. The last time we see her wear it in the televised seasons would probably be circa season three, though I couldn't pin point the exact episode. After season three Buffy rarley ever wore a crucifix at all anymore. I remember there was an interview with either Joss or one of the writers on perhaps one of the DVD extras (?) stating that she stopped wearing them as she became a better slayer as their main function at the time was to protect her from vamps. I remember being impressed they put such detail and thought into the smallest of things.

~ Banner by Nina ~

Comment

Originally posted by missperoxide View Post
                              Still curious about the cross though. When's the last time we saw her wear it on screen? Perhaps some Bangel fans know?
                              I'm almost positve that she never wears it again after the third season. They pretty much rid the show of all things Angel.

Comment

I'm almost sure that I saw it again somewhere around season 6 or 7. But I've no idea which episodes, the cross was not so much about Angel and more about Buffy feeling vulnerable and needing a cross around her neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                                  I'm almost sure that I saw it again somewhere around season 6 or 7. But I've no idea which episodes, the cross was not so much about Angel and more about Buffy feeling vulnerable and needing a cross around her neck.
                                  Its time for another Buffy marathon lol. Striclty for cross watching That would be great if she did wear it again in later episodes. I had always thought that, that particualr cross symbolized her in a way.

Comment

Working...
                                  X