Life is the Big bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life is the Big bad

I was reading through some threads as I am new here, and sow some things that puzzled me.

Mainly a short discussion weather or not the trio or willow was the "big bad" in season 6.

my answer is neither.
    Life was.

Buffy was dealing with becoming an adult, taking care of a sister, and just plain living. Her story arc is similar to many people at that age. I call it the whats it all mean phase of human life.
    She also lost her father figure and had to learn to live on her own.

Willow Dealt with addiction, being in a relationship, and peers as bad influences.

Xanya Both dealt with marriage making choices good and bad.

Dawn was dealing with adolescence but more so for her, because instead of superficial jealousy of the adults around her. She has the issue of not having someone to relate to as she was normal surrounded by super people like Willow and Buffy.

There was no big bad in the spirit of the master, the mayor, glory, or adam. In the end it was the life lessons they overcame.

Xander building the confidence to leave buffy in the whole and deal with willow on his own.

Willow experiencing the full range of her power and regaining control of her life.

Buffy learning that Dawn needed to be a scoobie or she would never be happy. And also learning that life is worth living.

The mystical aspect of season 6 was just icing on the cake. Dark willow was just natural end the road she had taken.

As for the Trio they were supposed to be geeky. They were the metaphor of the real world creeping in to their lives. They represented the hard fact that there is not always a hard line drawn in the sand, that we cannot always defeat evil by whacking it with an axe. It creeps in to our souls. It changes who we are.

Just as life did for the Sunnydale Gang in season 6.
    ===Quote of the day===
    "To read makes our speaking English good"

Xander

I agree with you, Billy. The thing about Season 6 is that there is no villain that can simply be fought with weapons. Buffy faces real-life difficulties completely on her own for the first time and has to take care of herself, with both her mother and Giles gone. Moreover, this season very much deals with the relationships between the main characters, and what goes wrong between them. They all get to show their bad sides.
    I rather like this season because it is very many-layered and multi-facetted, so to say, and shows that things in life are never as simple as stories may suggest, that there is not just black and white, that there is a dark side to us all etc, and I appreciate that the "heroes" get shown in a more negative light as well, making them more well-rounded and human characters.
    Sin is what I feast upon
    I'm forging my crematorium
    Your tomb is waiting here for you
    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

It's definitely true that being alive is the big issue of S6 for Buffy. At first, the only person she can tell what really happened to her is Spike, but that doesn't help much. Later, when she's forced to tell her friends what they yanked her out of by Sweet, she 'copes' by sleeping with Spike (which is little more than self-flagellation). She finally breaks that off after Riley sees her with him and forces her to look at her own behaviour.

During this time, the Trio are a metaphor for the daily annoyances of life. There's no grand conflict here, just ankle biting from guys who think they're big bads. And then, after she consciously chooses her life in Sunnydale - including her duty - over a normal life with her living, still-married parents in 'Normal Again,' Willow falls off the wagon, escalating the interpersonal conflicts that her inner turmoil has been exacerbating even as it's allowed her to put off dealing with them.

So, in one sense, yes, Life is the BB in S6. But it's largely in the same sense that being a high school student is the BB in the first 2-3 seasons. The show's overarching metaphor is that one's personal demons are externalized. So the Trio and Dark Willow work on that level to represent the life conflicts she's dealing with as the season progresses.
      Cordially,
      Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
      Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I've always been a big supporter that S6 was all about "life as the big bad". All the characters do so much maturing during the season (even if the whole "magic addiction" ruined the season for some fans.) Growing up is all about baby steps and learning to deal with adversity.

For me, the human side is every bit as interesting as the magic side.
        sigpic

Comment

Amuk, while I agree with your post in general, there is oen detail I'd like to nag about. In my opinion, sleeping with Spike is not self-flagellation for Buffy, rather a kind of escape from her "normal" life and from the pressure of always being responsible, perfect, Dawn's role model etc. The self-flagellation comes afterwards, when she feels guilty about it; she definitely seems to enjoy the act itself, letting go of all restraints and inhibitions binding her normally.
          Sin is what I feast upon
          Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsucker View Post
            Amuk, while I agree with your post in general, there is oen detail I'd like to nag about. In my opinion, sleeping with Spike is not self-flagellation for Buffy, rather a kind of escape from her "normal" life and from the pressure of always being responsible, perfect, Dawn's role model etc. The self-flagellation comes afterwards, when she feels guilty about it; she definitely seems to enjoy the act itself, letting go of all restraints and inhibitions binding her normally.

There's certainly support for either POV (or both?) in what she herself says about it when she dumps him ("As You Were"):
            SPIKE: (smiles, moves closer to her) I've memorized this tune, luv. Think I have the sheet music. Doesn't change what you want.
            BUFFY: I know that. (pauses) I do want you. (Spike looking surprised) Being with you ... makes things ... simpler. For a little while.
            SPIKE: I don't call five hours straight a little while.
            BUFFY: I'm using you.

(He stares at her.)

BUFFY: I can't love you. I'm just ... being weak, and selfish...
            SPIKE: (moves even closer) Really not complaining here.
            BUFFY: ...and it's killing me.

(Spike frowns.)

BUFFY: I have to be strong about this.

(He continues staring at her.)

BUFFY: I'm sorry..., William.

She wants to be with him (physically); it makes things "simpler" (she can avoid her regular life). But she also knows it's bad for her and she has to stop. Deep down, I think she was punishing herself by keeping it up as long as she did and breaks it off after Riley catches her at it (when she's supposed to be demon hunting, no less) and she can no longer hide what she's doing from herself.

So I submit we're both partially right.
            Last edited by Amuk; 04-12-08, 06:40 PM. Reason: Doh! Wrong episode.
            Cordially,
            Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
            Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Ah, right, I think our viewpoints are fairly compatible actually. While Buffy is at it, things are simpler, but she has a bad concience and regrets it afterwards, therefore it is bad for her? If I understood you correctly there, we share an opinion after all.

(Psst, I think you mean "As You Were". )
              Sin is what I feast upon
              Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Working...
              X