Watching Buffy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching Buffy

Watching buffy about twenty minutes into it so far. This show is way better then I imagined. Cordy is not very cool on this. The softer side of sears? Ouch! Jesse,Xander,willow I take it are going to be the maine people in the show but I can't figure out cordy's place yet. She seems... diffrent. No angel yet. Humor is so close to Angel!!! Why did I wait so long to start watching?

Exactly! Keep watching, I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. And the next seasons will be even better!
    sigpic
    banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

Oh my gosh you joined a Buffy forum without ever watching Buffy! :eek: Stay away from spoilers. They're all over the place. As for Jesse, Xander and Willow being the main people on the show.... we'll just see about that.
      T _A _T _E _R _S'____ W _O _R _L _D

Proud recipient of the "Vagenis Award of Excellence"

Comment

I'm sure you'll enjoy Buffy, I agree with holypotatoes, stay away from Spoilers as it is a lot more exciting to watch without them. Cordy is different in Buffy to Angel, will be interesting what Cordy you prefer, because I quite like her in Buffy. Also one thing with Joss, never assume He loves to shock fans.
        sigpic

Comment

*cough* Angel is way better. *cough*

Glad you started watching Buffy! Buffy is an extremely entertaining show, I really loved it. It's still a show I love to rewatch I still think Angel is much better, cause I like the storylines, themes, and characters much more, but that's just me. Cordy and Wesley are in this show, but Wes doesn't show up till later. You'll see Obviously, if you've seen all of Angel, you've gotten spoiled a little, but please stay away from as many spoilers as possible. You don't need to wait months for a new episode, so there's no need for spoilers The first season is very childish and not good, IMO, but ya know, parts of it are still enjoyable. Later seasons really pick up the pace. Enjoy this awesome series! (spoiler free!)

Comment

I loved buffy season 1.. it was raw.. i loved it! But do be careful about spoilers most people assume that if your on here youve seen it.. so most people dont wrap spoilers around stuff. But welcome to BF and i hope you love buffy as much as we do!!!

Comment

ANGEL SHOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But i was confused becasue he said I though you would be taller and more muscle. Didn't he watch her from a far before this point? That makes no sense. Humor is good and Xander know what's what before the others. Darla looks odd!! Not as good as Angel but it is only the first show I am on season 3 first epp of Angel so I have had a while. Needs more but kicking but this had some good fightscenes. When I left off this big dude who worked for the master from angel was trying to kill buffy and her friends are stuck outside with vamps of there own. Ange to the rescue I hope!

Comment

Originally posted by theimmortaljedi View Post
                But i was confused becasue he said I though you would be taller and more muscle. Didn't he watch her from a far before this point? That makes no sense.
                There are a few, um, discontinuities with the story of Angel as it will eventually be written, especially in Welcome to the Hellmouth and The Harvest. For instance:

Spoiler:
                How did he get into the masoleum in the middle of the day (it's empty when she enters, then he's behind her)? Did he leave as soon as Buffy goes underground (and if so, how?) or did he just let Xander go past him into a dangerous place (we have to assume the former since Xander doesn't mention seeing him)?

There are more later (
                Spoiler:
                i.e., why does Buffy think it's perfectly normal for him to stay in her room all day the day after they escape from The Three - who would be no threat in daylight? Why does Spike call him his sire?
                ). Suffice it to say, Angel is one of several characters who grew past their original sell-by dates. So there are some minor continuity errors early on before it had all been written. Be glad - if they'd stuck to the original plan, there wouldn't have been a spinoff show for you to enjoy.
                Cordially,
                Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Good job.

BtVS is a great show just like AtS (and I actually am a bigger fan of AtS--but early BtVS has a huge special place in my heart--as do both shows in their entirety, really).

I'm such a softy for season 1 BtVS... Everyone's so innocent and naive to what is coming around the corner. Season 2 is where the real tragic drama starts.

What you're seeing from Cordelia is how she originally was in her high school years. She was the popular high school bitch cheerleader who said mean things to cute, little Willow in her dress her mom bought her at Sears. Remember seeing Cordelia and Harmony together in Disharmony? They were both part of the popular clique in high school. Of course, circumstances changed them both.

The way Cordelia acted at the fabulous Hollywood party in City of... is representative of her being the old Cordelia before her snobby, rich life was taken away from her. Remember Angel's sarcastic comment about "it's nice she's grown as a person"? That's very much who Cordelia used to be. She was always a reluctant member of the social leper colony that was the Scoobies. She also wasn't close enough to any of them to stay in Sunnydale once they graduated high school and she wasn't going to be able to attend college.

Cordelia was originally a representation of the status Buffy had at Hemery before she became a Slayer. Becoming a Slayer lost her all of her friends, got her expelled for burning down the high school gym fighting vampires and even caused her some problems with her parents. When Buffy first comes to Sunnydale, the first person that she starts carrying a conversation with is Cordelia, but then gravitates towards Willow and Xander because she doesn't want to be the person she and her fickle ex-friends were at Hemery.

Also, it's important to note that the Angel you are seeing here is literally off the streets of New York City after being a bum eating rats in alleys for 20 years. He's not exactly sure of himself and helping the Slayer is not something he's used to (the Slayer is someone who vampires fear). He's helping her because he saw her getting her normal life ripped away from her and he currently sees Buffy as his destiny. She was the first person he's ever seen that made him believe that there is goodness in humanity (he didn't even have a lot of faith in humanity when he was human). He's not even really fighting a lot of evil, himself, yet, but he was inspired by Buffy to go on that path.

As for Angel making a joke about thinking that Buffy would be bigger and taller... It's a joke on the original movie. Sarah Michelle Gellar is 5'3" and Kristy Swanson is 5'6". Also, Angel only watched her from a distance.
                  Last edited by NileQT87; 01-12-08, 01:57 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                  "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

The way Cordelia acted at the fabulous Hollywood party in City of...

That's right. I forgot about that.
                    As for Angel making a joke about thinking that Buffy would be bigger and taller... It's a joke on the original movie. Sarah Michelle Gellar is 5'3" and Kristy Swanson is 5'6". Also, Angel only watched her from a distance.

WHat abou the things amuk said is there a way to explain those errors? I have not seen those epps yet so I am in the dark still.

Comment

There are a fair few continuity errors in both shows, the main ones are dates like birthdays etc, but you can look past them.

I agree with Ben, Angel is better but that is just our opinion, some people think Buffy is a lot better. I think Angel is a lot more grown up than Buffy which is one of the reasons I like it more but I still love Buffy.

Darla does look different, she is going through a Catholic schoolgirl phase here She is also quite a bit younger here.
                      sigpic

Comment

Darla is wearing the Catholic schoolgirl outfit to make a statement to Angel. She has a big problem with Angel mooning over a schoolgirl. In Dear Boy, Darla assumed that Angel liked Buffy because she was "new". Darla has always been very insecure. In fact, it is probably because Angel was interested in Buffy that, after rejecting him because of the soul, she suddenly wants him back rather than see him with Buffy.

The fact that Darla was a whore in life and often took on the guise of the seductress (certainly how Liam first met her), the fact that Angel was now in love with a schoolgirl would probably hurt Darla. She was almost willing to take him back during the Boxer Rebellion, but he was saving missionaries from her. Her weakness was always wanting to be loved, even if she was incapable of it and Angelus absolutely despised the emotion to the point of wanting to end the world over Angel forcing him to feel his love for Buffy. Darla even states in The Trial that Angel's willingness to sacrifice himself for her was the first time she felt cared about. And of course, she talks about feeling love for something for the first time in Lullaby.

Darla obviously knew that Angel was in town. And she must have been aware that Angel was watching someone who was a high school student, but didn't know it was the new Slayer (as she was surprised to learn). Darla certainly knew Angel was there. It might even have been why she chose to leave a dead boy in Aura's locker on Buffy's first day of school; perhaps to try to scare Buffy away.

Darla's comments in both Angel and Dear Boy about schoolgirls and cheerleaders would insinuate that her over-the-top dress as a Catholic schoolgirl was because Angel had perhaps been sighted in town watching Buffy. Darla almost always uses the schoolgirl and cheerleader labels to denigrate Buffy.

She further compares herself to Buffy in Epiphany when she repeats Buffy's insecure words in Innocence. Even though she is very worldly, she is very insecure when it comes to Angel's affections and insecure about why Angel could love Buffy enough to lose his soul and not her.

Originally posted by Angel
                        Angel: What's with the Catholic schoolgirl look? Last time I saw you it was kimonos.
                        Darla: And last time I saw you it wasn't high school girls. Don't cha like?
                        Darla is clearly trying to mock Angel's crush here by wearing the outfit; which means the outfit is all about Angel. And Darla was wearing it at least the night before Buffy's first day of school.

Originally posted by Dear Boy
                        Angel: You took me places, showed me things, huh? You blew the top off my head. But you never made me happy.
                        Darla: But that, that cheerleader did? We were together 150 years! We shared everything. You're saying, never?
                        Angel: You couldn't understand.
                        Darla: I understand alright. Guy gets taste of something fresh and he thinks he's touching God.
                        Angel: It wasn't about...
                        Darla: Oh, you bet your ass it was! There was a time, in the early years, when you would have said I was the definition of bliss! Buffy wasn't happiness. She was just new!
                        Angel: You know, you are getting awfully bent over this, Darla. I couldn't feel that with you, because I didn't have a soul. But then I got a second chance, just like you have.
                        One of the interesting phrases that Angel uses in The Harvest is "they really don't like me going down there"... which would insinuate that he did visit the Master's cavern before Buffy's arrival. It would also explain why he knows the directions around the sewers and where to find the fallen church in the Hellmouth. Angel had obviously done his homework before Buffy's first day of school, because he had already learned about the Master being trapped in the fallen church, the Harvest and the Hellmouth.

Perhaps it was even that trip down to the Master's cavern that explains why Angel was so terrified of the Master in the Harvest and Prophecy Girl.
                        Last edited by NileQT87; 01-12-08, 12:59 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                        "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Have fun watching. Must be interesting to see the characters at a stage where they still have to undergo some development to be the way you know them.
                          (I had a bit of that because I saw half of Angel Season One when just having finished watching Buffy Season Two because the friend I borrowed it from had given the season I needed to his brother at the moment. It was entertaining to have the gap filled afterwards, so to say.)
                          Last edited by Bloodsucker; 03-12-08, 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
                          Sin is what I feast upon
                          I'm forging my crematorium
                          Your tomb is waiting here for you
                          Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
                            Darla is wearing the Catholic schoolgirl outfit to make a statement to Angel. She has a big problem with Angel mooning over a schoolgirl.

Darla is clearly trying to mock Angel's crush here by wearing the outfit; which means the outfit is all about Angel. And Darla was wearing it at least the night before Buffy's first day of school.
                            That's certainly part of it. But remember that Darla wore that outfit for hunting (read: narrative) purposes before she encountered Angel (i.e., the very first scene of the show, when the show's central premise is set up: She and the boy break into the school and we're supposed to think she's the one in danger, not him). Angel strongly implies that The Master and his minions know he's around in 'The Harvest', but there's no indication that Darla as we find her in WTTH is motivated by Angel. At that point, she's a counterpoint to Buffy primarily.

Darla was originally supposed to die in 'he Harvest', but they decided Angel would be more interesting if they worked her into his story. So they changed it so that the holy water just burned her rather than dusting her and she ran out. She plays the schoolgorl to suit her overall purpose (i.e., persuading Joyce to invite her in). That allows her to present herself to Angel in the mode of his new interest, but it isn't the primary reason for it.

Originally posted by theimmortaljedi
                            WHat abou the things amuk said is there a way to explain those errors? I have not seen those epps yet so I am in the dark still.
                            I don't really think of them as major errors. I look on them more like I do a boom mike showing in frame for a moment (or, as happens once in S4, when there's a cameraman in frame). Regrettable but minor. They're fun to point out and talk about, but they're really just teething pains: the results of a new show feeling it's way along at first and getting a grip on itself. Lots of little things pop up when they decide to keep characters around longer than they were originally planned to last (another example:
                            Spoiler:
                            the first time we learn about Spike, Giles says he's 'barely 200' but when they decide to keep Spike around and need a more thorough backstory for him, he gets a good deal younger; who sired him and how he came by his nickname change, too
                            ).
                            Cordially,
                            Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                            Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I'm well aware about how Darla was used from a standpoint of setting up the story (and she wasn't even given a story until the episode Angel, really). But that is out-of-universe logic, where I was talking about the in-universe logic. It gives another reason that she would be wearing that outfit that is the antithesis of her.

It also explains some of what Angel was doing in Sunnydale before Buffy's first day of school and who knew he was there (and what he was focused on). It means that Darla's jealousy was already in place before Buffy's first day of school in in-universe logic.

Of course, in our reality, it was just a thematic setting-up of the show with a disposable character who was meant to die (and did die in the unaired pilot) and another disposable character that was supposed to fade away after giving helpful information to the protagonist.

The fact that Angel insinuates that he had already been to the Master's cavern is interesting. People have always looked at him as lacking courage in season 1, but that implies he was scared for reasons other than pissing off the Master in 1760 (and the Master obviously gained a better opinion of Angelus eventually, despite jealousy over Darla). They don't really like him going down there and they really don't like him. He was already a known presence in Sunnydale.

As far as the sunlit mausoleum in the Harvest... Perhaps he also went through the sewers, but in a different direction? He might have even put the padlock there so Buffy might avoid the entrance. Either that or he stayed in the mausoleum all day and let Xander follow Buffy.
                              Last edited by NileQT87; 02-12-08, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theimmortaljedi View Post
                                Watching buffy about twenty minutes into it so far. This show is way better then I imagined. Cordy is not very cool on this. The softer side of sears? Ouch! Jesse,Xander,willow I take it are going to be the maine people in the show but I can't figure out cordy's place yet. She seems... diffrent. No angel yet. Humor is so close to Angel!!! Why did I wait so long to start watching?
                                Well, there's a reason the show has such a cult following...

The show improves throughout the seasons as well
                                Every Slayer has a death wish. Even you.
                                ?I think it?s the title of the show. Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It?s like a line in the sand. And unless you appreciate irony and are somewhat sophisticated you?re not going to watch that show.?
                                - James Marsters

Comment

Amuk, that one error sort of makes sense, though,
                                  Spoiler:
                                  when you simply regard it as an unexact way of speaking. Spike calls Angel his sire instead of his grandsire - yes, technically not fully correct since Drusilla bit him, but it was Angelus who taught him (and was his Yoda ).
                                  Sin is what I feast upon
                                  Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Keep watching because you will get surprised, in a good way. Buffy is the most awesome show and I love rewatching it. And it?s funny, because people are always finding Buffy after 11 years.

Comment

bloodsucker, nice explaine. I must say I feel the show hold up still. Needs more buttkicking though. Thanks guys for getting me to watch!!!!!

Comment

You'll get plenty of buttkicking as you go along, don't worry.
                                        Sin is what I feast upon
                                        Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Working...
                                        X