Cordelia's place in Buffy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordelia's place in Buffy!

So! I don't know if there has been a thread like this before, but I'm watching Graduation Day Pt. 2! I was thinking about Cordelia ... I was just wondering what her role would've been if she would've stayed in Sunnydale. I always wonder that, but I really cant put my finger on it? Like her position in the show if she would've stayed. What do you guys think????
    East Wick Season Two -Coming Soon-

Banner By: Pandora's Box

I think that if cordelia wouldnt stayed on buffy she probably wouldnt of made it past season 4, and if she had maybe anya wouldnt of came into the picture regularly. I think they would have "sent her" to L.a. or some other place. I can't see her staying in sunnydale.

Comment

If they hadn't decided to launch the spin-off and send CC over to it, one can easily see Cordy still being part of the show. She could manage UC Sunnydale even with her dad's financial 'difficulties', where she'd be a natural recruit for one of those sororities that Buffy and Willow would simply despise, thus allowing her to continue her role as a bitch foil.

Also (or alternatively) she could end up the manager of April Fools or some such, so she'd be around town when needed but still maintain her "in but not of" status vis-a-vis the Scoobies. IOW, one can see a place for her in the show if there's no AtS to go to. But LA is so perfect for her, none that comes to mind fits as well.
      Cordially,
      Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
      Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Charisma and Joss had a deal that if she didn't work out on Angel, or if the show tanked, than she could come back to Buffy. So I imagine her role would have been much like her role in Seasons 1-3. She probably would have factored heavily into Xander's storyline, maybe even replacing Anya. Man, that's weird to contemplate...

Comment

Actually I think that if Cordelia had stayed or returned to sunnydale, she would have grown in a similar way to how she did on Angel, so I doubt she would have remained the 'bitch foil'. Though perhaps she wouldn't have been subjected to quite so many evil pregnancies...

And I just don't think there was as much room for her to grow on btvs. The core dynamic was established, and it's hard to see how she would have fit into the center of scooby activities. The last few episodes of season 3, from the end of the Wish onward, Cordy's position in the show was always a bit hard to define I think.

What's really interesting is the idea that if she did return to buffy, say for example Angel got canceled after the first season, she would have still had the visions! I wonder how that might have affected the scooby dynamic?
          sigpic

http://buffysmom.wordpress.com/

Comment

I see your point -- and I'd (mostly) hate not to see Cordy grow and change.

But I see Anya as the character who took over the Says Things That Need To Be Said But No-one Else Will role from Cordy. Someone needs to fill that role in this ensemble, so if Cordy never leaves (as opposed to her coming back), we'll either have to make room for both of them, or Cordy just keeps that job. The former seems unlikely - there's only so much room in the ensemble.

I can see her growing and changing into something other than what she did, of course. Something that lets her still be the forthright one who thinks 'tact is just not saying true stuff.' She was on that path already in S3 (and that path beats the hell out of Evil Cordy, so that would be a bonus). But the ensemble needs some kind of foil, even if the bitch factor recedes.
            Cordially,
            Amuk

Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I dont feel like cordy wouldve gotten the chance to become the women she became in Ats because she would always be in the shadow of her high school self. Angel gave her respect she didnt get from the scoobies, and Joss took that and ran with it and gave us the cordy we have today. I feel like if she stayed on BtVS she wouldve been the same cordy and would be like harmony, appear every now and then, but never be in the spotlight IMO.

Comment

We saw her stake her first vampire in Graduation Day pt 2, so I think that she would've became a more productive Scooby, helping them slay more than just cowering in a closet.

I also think that she might've gotten back with Xander, this is on the basis that if she'd stayed in season 4 she and Xander would've been the only two not at college (assuming her dad had still commited tax fraud) and so they would've had something in common, I can also imagine her getting some kind of job to manage to pay for her apartment.

I think, if she'd stayed, they would've made her a nicer person, maybe start with her being sympathetic toward Willow after the Oz and Veruca thing, or maybe trying to get Oz to stay or something, I always wish they'd expanded the relationship between Oz and Cordelia, in In The Dark, it's implied that they were quite close (or that Cordy was just happy to see someone from Sunnydale), but they never really showed them spending much time together.
                sigpic

Comment

Cordelia would keep her role as the person who kept the scoobies on earth. Cordy always told them (and in Ats, Angel & Wesley) off. She showed them that they were weirdos. I'm not sure how much she would've changed, especially because after season 3, BtVS was more about Willow & Buffy and less about the other scoobies. I think that Cordelia would've figured out that she likes helping people but I'm not sure how easy she would've showed her change. In Sunnydale she was somebody, she had to keep her name high. Nobody knew her in LA, nobody cared about Cordelia Chase. Angel and Doyle (after that Wes) were her whole world. I doubt that she would do for any of the scoobies what she did for Angel.

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                    Angel and Doyle (after that Wes) were her whole world. I doubt that she would do for any of the scoobies what she did for Angel.
                    Very true. Going to L.A. was essential in Cordy's change to my mind. Also the problem with Scoobies was that they never really accepted her. They grudgingly tolerated her as Xander's girlfriend but that was it. Maybe that was the wider problem of Scoobies - that they never accepted new people (except (ex)boyfriends/girlfriends of the Scoobies). Team Angel was much more open it that sense. I guess accepting Wes was sort of a inevitability because they had lost Doyle, but they accepted Gunn, Fred and Lorne when they necessarily didn't have to. Scoobies on the other hand vere very reluctant accepting someone new - for example Jonathan was practically crying out "let me be your friend" but they chose not to hear that. Which, of course, was their right. Just saying.
                    sigpic
                    banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

Originally posted by missperoxide View Post
                      Maybe that was the wider problem of Scoobies - that they never accepted new people (except (ex)boyfriends/girlfriends of the Scoobies). Team Angel was much more open it that sense. I guess accepting Wes was sort of a inevitability because they had lost Doyle, but they accepted Gunn, Fred and Lorne when they necessarily didn't have to. Scoobies on the other hand vere very reluctant accepting someone new - for example Jonathan was practically crying out "let me be your friend" but they chose not to hear that. Which, of course, was their right. Just saying.
                      I don't know about that. The Scoobies allow Spike, Anya, and Andrew -- all of whom were previously evil -- to join the crew. Not to mention letting Faith (who had also gone bad) come back. And letting Wood in (pretty fast) plus all the Potentials. For a group that supposed to be predicated on having a Big Damn Secret, that seems pretty open to me.
                      Cordially,
                      Amuk

Addicted to Buffy

Comment

As I said - to me it seems they rarely accept new people (except (ex)boyfriends/girlfriends of them).
                        Spike does not really become 'one of Scoobies' until S7 and even then he's more Buffy's project - and by that moment he is generally considered Buffy's ex. Anya is Xander's girlfriend and then exgirlfriend.
                        Scoobies pretty much didn't have a choice with the Potentials - Giles just stormed in with them in tow.
                        As for Faith and Andrew, they were not considered actual members of the group now were they? Poor Andrew was still considered 'hostage' (said by Buffy herself) when he was baking funnel cakes for Scoobies!
                        And anyway in S7 Scoobies had to accept outside help because of the threatening First (which is funny in a way, as the First did seem the lamest villain of all): because of the First they had to take in the potentials, they didn't let Andrew leave and accepted Faith and Wood very quickly (they were needed in upcoming fight).
                        sigpic
                        banner by litzie avatar by diane

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Ages View Post
                          So! I don't know if there has been a thread like this before, but I'm watching Graduation Day Pt. 2! I was thinking about Cordelia ... I was just wondering what her role would've been if she would've stayed in Sunnydale. I always wonder that, but I really cant put my finger on it? Like her position in the show if she would've stayed. What do you guys think????
                          Hmm. I think Cordelia's whole thing was always to leave. She pretty much hated Sunnydale. I can't imagine where she would have fit in if she had stayed...plus, she's awesome working along side Angel in L.A.!
                          Every Slayer has a death wish. Even you.
                          ?I think it?s the title of the show. Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It?s like a line in the sand. And unless you appreciate irony and are somewhat sophisticated you?re not going to watch that show.?
                          - James Marsters

Comment

I don't think whe would have fitted well... BUt I would've liked her to come back after season 1 or 2 of Angel, just for one episode or so. I always wondered what it would be like for the scoobies to meet the changed Cordelia... When Willow goes to L.A. i don' remember them meeting and she was evil anyway...
                            What? You?ve taught a psycho killer demon how to be human by making him watch Sex and the City?

1.02 Never been kissed OUT NOW/ 1.03 Damned by the bell COMING SOON

Comment

Willow met Cordelia in the last episode of Ats season 2 when Willow told Angel that Buffy was dead. And Willow did meet Cordy in Orpheus, but like you said .. she was evil. Also we saw that Willow and Cordelia were talking on the phone with eachother in at least 2 episodes.
                              Nina
                              and her haircut.
                              Last edited by Nina; 01-12-08, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amuk View Post

But I see Anya as the character who took over the Says Things That Need To Be Said But No-one Else Will role from Cordy. Someone needs to fill that role in this ensemble, so if Cordy never leaves (as opposed to her coming back), we'll either have to make room for both of them, or Cordy just keeps that job. The former seems unlikely - there's only so much room in the ensemble.
                                Moreover, Spike takes that role on too from S4 on; he and Anya are both sarcastic-line-replacers. (was that even a term? )

There would have been room for Cordelia, I think, yet her role would have been much smaller since the Scoobies consisted of many more characters already. Either way she would have developed, since otherwise her role would have gotten somewhat old, but I think she could have worked out - which is highly hypothetical and sort of pointless of course, but heh, one can wonder.
                                Sin is what I feast upon
                                I'm forging my crematorium
                                Your tomb is waiting here for you
                                Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Working...
                                X