Star wars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star wars?

Is it true they make alot of star wars refrences inbuffy or is someone pulling my leg?

Warren, Jonathan and Andrew do in Season 6/7, if memory serves.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

And not forgetting Red Dwarf and Dr Who of course.

Comment

they Claimed the guy known as zander talks alot about star wars. Even in the first episode to Willow it is brought up. True or false? Or maybe just off a little?

Comment

Xander makes several Star Wars references, but it's not pervasive. I mean, pop culture references are continuous. Xander and Willow -- 16 or 17 years old in 1998 -- actually debate the Captain and Tenille.
          sigpic
          Banner by LRae12

Comment

The Captain and Tennille. LMAO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-38oelOufDc

Joss seems to be heavily inspired by Blade Runner in Firefly/Serenity, Fray and the AtF timeslips.

I have a feeling people on the writers staff grew up in the '70s, because the music jokes sometimes tilt in that direction. Joss' country music love is also apparent.

Then again, Xander also brings up Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! And I feel utterly disturbed that I even watched 5 minutes of that 'WTF?!' movie one day on T.V.

Xander and Willow's discussion of the Captain and Tennille is consistent if you look at the other things that they have referenced (most of the references made by the characters are outdated--Dawn is about the only one that really says something about when the show was actually made). Wait until you hear Angel talk about Las Vegas and Barry Manilow or pretty much any song that Lorne sings--a lot of the disco divas and swing. Spike gets a lot of Sex Pistols and Billy Idol jokes.

One of the best jokes is Buffy listening to I Touch Myself, which is a joke about the prominent use of the Divinyls in the original 1992 Buffy movie (I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore).

I loved that Spike was watching Night of the Living Dead on his T.V. during All the Way. And of course, his obsession with the soap opera, Passions, is a classic (and Passions in turn made a lot of BtVS references).

Xander makes a lot of geeky pop culture references, but so do almost all of the other characters. The nerd troika remain the kings of the pop culture reference. Andrew, in particular, is big on the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings references. They even feature an argument about James Bond. Spike threatens to break a Boba Fett action figure.

Xander and Oz discuss different kinds of kryptonite in one episode.

And yet, you have the characters also watching a Bollywood movie. Like Xander's knowledge of Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, the pop culture references are both the usual Star Wars geek stuff and the truly off-kilter, wacky references.

And I think Wesley's comment about "Lady Hamilton's virtue" beats them all for rare references that you have to look up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Hamilton
            Last edited by NileQT87; 29-11-08, 05:47 AM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
            "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Not to forget my favourite Star Wars reference - when Spike tells Angel "You were my Yoda" in School Hard.
              Sin is what I feast upon
              I'm forging my crematorium
              Your tomb is waiting here for you
              Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsucker View Post
                Not to forget my favourite Star Wars reference - when Spike tells Angel "You were my Yoda" in School Hard.
                Way cool!!

Comment

I seem to remember there also being a mural of the Deathstar being painted on the Troika's van.
                  And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

Comment

Originally posted by C.O.D View Post
                    I seem to remember there also being a mural of the Deathstar being painted on the Troika's van.

WARREN: W-what the hell is that?
                    ANDREW: Death Star, dude! Wicked, huh?
                    JONATHAN: (scornfully) Thermal exhaust port's *above* the main port, numb-nuts.
                    ANDREW: For your information, I'm using the Empire's revised designs from Return of the Jedi.
                    JONATHAN: That's a flawed design!
                    WARREN: Guys! (they shut up) Okay, the thing is, since we're messing with the Slayer, who could pummel the three of us into a sludgy substance, it might be a good idea for us to (yelling) NOT draw attention to ourselves!

Just one of many others (especially from those three). But, BtVS is rife with pop culture references of all sorts. I think, perhaps my favourite (even though I've never been into the X-Files) is in 1x06 (The Pack): "Buffy: I cannot believe that you, of all people, are trying to Scully me." Andrew's "I'm bored. Episode I bored." is also a great one.
                    Cordially,
                    Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                    Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Also, Angel's entire perfect day fantasy is inspired by the Indiana Jones trilogy. Angelus even makes a crack about Angel's Raiders of the Lost Ark fantasy. That and all of those Barry Manilow concerts and saving puppies.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                      "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

WOW! loks like star wars is brought up more then a few times. I heard the first time is a movie game with willow and xander when they are walking and eating icecream in one scene. anyone recall this or have a u tube clip?

Comment

Originally posted by theimmortaljedi View Post
                          WOW! loks like star wars is brought up more then a few times. I heard the first time is a movie game with willow and xander when they are walking and eating icecream in one scene. anyone recall this or have a u tube clip?
                          That's 2x01 "When She Was Bad":
                          Willow: Okay, um...
                          Xander: It's your turn.
                          Willow: I, alright, okay, uh... 'In the few hours that we had together, we loved a lifetime's worth.'
                          Xander: Terminator.
                          Willow: Good! Great.
                          Xander: Um, oh, okay, I got one. (imitating Charlton Heston) 'It's a madhouse! A mad...'
                          Willow: (interrupts) Planet of the Apes.
                          Xander: Can I finish, please?
                          Willow: Oh! Sorry, go ahead.
                          Xander: '...house!' (indicates she may answer)
                          Willow: Planet of the Apes. Okay, good. Me. Uh...
                          Xander: Well?
                          Willow: I'm thinking. 'Use the Force, Luke.'
                          Xander: Do I even have to dignify that with a guess?
                          Willow: I couldn't think of anything. It's a dumb game anyway.

Angel doesn't shy away from them either, starting as early as 1x05 "Rm W/A Vu" [Cordy: Hey, hey - Phantom Dennis, put that back.” (Jane Espenson says on the commentary track that she insisted Cordelia's ghost roommate be named Dennis so that the pun on The Phantom Menace would work.)]
                          Last edited by Amuk; 29-11-08, 05:38 AM.
                          Cordially,
                          Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
                          Addicted to Buffy

Comment

Here are some of the references:

Charlton Heston: Never Kill a Boy on the First Date (Soylent Green), When She Was Bad (Planet of the Apes) & Carpe Noctem (Soylent Green & The Omega Man).
                            Harrison Ford (other than Star Wars): When She Was Bad (Witness), Entropy (Indiana Jones), Awakening (Indiana Jones), Soulless (Indiana Jones), Firefly (Blade Runner), Serenity (Blade Runner), Fray (Blade Runner) & Angel: After the Fall (Blade Runner).
                            John Wayne: What's My Line?, pt. 2 & Dad.
                            Elvis Presley: Halloween, Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered, Wild at Heart, Five by Five, The House Always Wins, Salvage & Angel: After the Fall issue #4.
                            Barry Manilow: Judgment, Orpheus, The Magic Bullet & Hell Bound.
                            Patsy Cline: Prophecy Girl, I Fall to Pieces & That Old Gang of Mine.
                            The Rat Pack: The Shroud of Rahmon, Sleep Tight, The House Always Wins & The Girl in Question.
                            James Bond: The Prom, Fear, Itself, Life Serial, Showtime & Anywhere But Here.
                            Star Wars: When She Was Bad, School Hard, Rm w/ a Vu, Life Serial, All the Way, Smashed, Dead Things, Two to Go, Conversations with Dead People, Never Leave Me, Bring on the Night, Showtime, Potential & Storyteller.
                            Lord of the Rings: Damage, Power Play & Tales of the Vampires.
                            Star Trek: Prophecy Girl, Smashed, Seeing Red, Dirty Girls & Damage.
                            Doctor Who: Smashed & No Future For You.
                            Godzilla: Crush, Dirty Girls & Wolves at the Gate.
                            Superman: Never Kill a Boy on the First Date, Anne, The Zeppo, Two to Go, Bring on the Night & First Date.
                            Batman: Halloween, City of..., In The Dark, Benediction & Bring on the Night.
                            Captain America: The Ring & Why We Fight.
                            Spiderman: I, Robot... You, Jane, A New Man, No Place Like Home, Flooded, Two To Go, Bring on the Night & Inside Out.
                            Last edited by NileQT87; 02-12-08, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Wow! What a list. You realy know your stuff. Thanks for the breakdown of the scene. Joss must be a star wars fan.

Comment

A little tidbit: all the writers of the show are nerds. Which is why the nerd troika (Warren, Jonathan and Andrew) were some of their favorite characters to write for. They practically put writers room conversations into the episodes. Characters arguing over the best James Bond or different kinds of kryptonite is stuff that most assuredly started in the writers room as nerd discussions.

"Cavemen vs. astronauts" is another example of nerdy writers room conversations being put into actual episode scripts.

Originally posted by A Hole in the World
                                Spike: It's bollocks, Angel! It's your brand of bollocks from the first to last.
                                Angel: No, you can't ever see the big picture. You can't see any picture!
                                Spike: I am talking about something primal. Right? Savagery. Brutal animal instinct.
                                Angel: And that wins out every time with you. You know, the human race has evolved, Spike!
                                Spike: Oh, into a bunch of namby-pamby, self-analyzing wankers who could never hope to...
                                Angel: We're bigger. We're smarter. Plus, there's a thing called teamwork, not to mention the superstitious terror of your pure aggressors!
                                Spike: You just want it to be the way you want it to be.
                                Angel: It's not about what I want!
                                Wesley: Sorry. Is this something we should all be discussing?
                                Angel: No.
                                Wesley: It just... sounds a little serious.
                                Angel: It was mostly... theoretical. We...
                                Spike: We were just working out a b... Look, if cavemen and astronauts got into a fight, who would win?
                                Wesley: Ah. You've been yelling at each other for 40 minutes about this? Do the astronauts have weapons?
                                Angel/Spike: No.
                                Here's one of my favorite nerdy writer inserts:

Originally posted by Dad
                                Gunn: What are you doing?
                                Wesley: Trying to imagine myself as John Wayne in Rio Bravo. You?
                                Gunn: Austin Stoker. Assault on Precinct Thirteen.
                                Cordy: If we live through this, trade in your DVD players and get a life.
                                Last edited by NileQT87; 30-11-08, 01:57 AM.

Comment

That sounds like me talking lol. My students give me a heard time casue of the shaved head and 220 pounds muscle I am not "suppose" to enjoy this kind of stuff. But I am all geek at heart. Before I fight I even read comics in the changing room lol. In my avatar I am playing star wars pod racing while my wife looks on! This show has that out of place humor and refrence to stuff I though I only had. MAN I LOVE THIS SHOW. I am so into ANgel. I so hope I get BUffy for xmass. If a don't I am trodding over to amazon on the 26 and placing an order!

Comment

Originally posted by NileQT87 View Post
                                    James Bond: The Prom, Life Serial, Showtime, & Anywhere But Here.
                                    Also in Fear, Itself, if I remember that correctly.

Lord of the Rings: Damage & Tales of the Vampires.
                                    There's a reference in Power Play too.

Doctor Who: Smashed & No Future For You.
                                    "No future for you" also happens to be the end of "God save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols, who get quite a few mentions throughout the show. Another band mentioned is Slayer (in Doomed), and the Ramones get quoted (or rather sung ) in Crush ("I wanna be sedated" to be exact). And there's the Billy Idol mentions, too, in Sleeper for example.

If we really compiled a list of all pop culture references included, it probably would be huge.
                                    Sin is what I feast upon
                                    Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Yep. I'll add those here. And yes, the Sex Pistols could use their own category.

There is a website dedicated to the references. I was just getting the ones I noticed being repetitious.

Comment

Wow, a website with the whole list? Linkage, please?
                                        Might be a very interesting read because I doubt I spotted all the references. It's just like with Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (am I the only one who sees similarities in style to the Buffyverse, btw?), some things had to be pointed out to me.

Oh, and another Star Wars mention is in School Hard. Just occurred to me... yes, only now. And it's my favourite reference too. *headdesk*
                                        Sin is what I feast upon
                                        Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

Working...
                                        X