Buffy Movie Rumours Swirling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffy Movie Rumours Swirling

Probably not something to get too amped up about yet, but it's worth noting that the rumour mill is spitting out Buffy movie tidbits again:
    The monster success of girly vampire pic Twilight at the US Box office last weekend could kick open the door for a big-screen return of Joss Whedon's much-loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Rumours are circulating in Hollywood that Whedon has a feature-film script based on his hit TV series ready to roll as soon as a studio is prepared to commit. The Buffy concept was first unveiled as a movie in 1992 with long-forgotten Kristy Swanson in the title role.

Cordially,
    Amuk

I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were.
    Addicted to Buffy

I'd file this under "Speculation 101" for now.

I really doubt that there is a script. Dare to dream! But, any success with vampire films makes me hope for a Buffy renaissance someday. Better sooner than later, the cast ain't getting any younger. Maybe Twilight's success will open up greedy FOX exec's eyes/wallets?

My Site: SlayAlive MySpace: Profile

Comment

I won't be getting my hopes up, just because Twilight has done well doesn't mean Buffy would. A lot of people, like me, may be sceptical about how good a movie would be. I would love to see it made and made well but I have my doubts about it. After all the original movie was pretty lame.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by carousel_girl8 View Post
        I won't be getting my hopes up, just because Twilight has done well doesn't mean Buffy would. A lot of people, like me, may be sceptical about how good a movie would be. I would love to see it made and made well but I have my doubts about it. After all the original movie was pretty lame.
        The original movie also was plagued with many many problems, which if given another go...most likely would not. Primarily this would be under Joss' complete and utter control. That plays a massive part.

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyGuy View Post
          I'd file this under "Speculation 101" for now.
          I agree it's more likely than not to be bunk. But it's still worth noting that the rumour's out there.

Originally posted by CowboyGuy View Post
          I really doubt that there is a script. Dare to dream! But, any success with vampire films makes me hope for a Buffy renaissance someday. Better sooner than later, the cast ain't getting any younger. Maybe Twilight's success will open up greedy FOX exec's eyes/wallets?
          I too would be shocked if there's a script already written (if only because Joss is so busy). But I'd be somewhat surprised, though, if Joss doesn't have some notes or even an outline for one.

Obviously I'd love to see a new movie with the original cast, but they're definitely getting on towards being too old. A 'reboot' could be interesting, however, as could a non-Scooby story.

Originally posted by carousel_girl8 View Post
          The 1992 movie is all but ir-relevant to whether or not a new movie would be good. Joss had no power or authority then to keep it within his vision and the studio's demands ruined the concept. That's really not an issue anymore. The bigger question for me is whether or not they can get enough of the principals together again to make it happen (or can craft a story that doesn't need them we'd be interested in seeing).
          Cordially,
          Amuk

Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I think it's great to have faith in a project like this. I mean isn't it everyone's hope that Buffy return to the screen in some way? I would rather not have a re-boot. Ideally I would just want some sort of continuation of what we already have...a sound masterful story told in seven Seasons.

They have the money, or they could get it. If the money is there, and the script is there, then so will be the talent. Everything plays a factor.

I think that at the very least Fox try to get Buffy re-runs back on television! Teen girls everywhere could get their fix with Season 1/2 Bangel non-sex...then full on with Spuffy later down the road.

Comment

SMG (SMP now?) has always said she'd need to see a script before deciding. Which is quite likely just a polite way of saying, "Not interested" since she knows it's unlikely Joss would devote the time and resources to writing a script in the hopes she'll like it enough to return to the franchise.

So I won't get my hopes up. But, you know, as much as I'd love more BtVS, I'd rather get more Serenity. The cast is considerably more likely to be up for it and there's a whole lot more unexplored story space there.
              Cordially,
              Amuk

Addicted to Buffy

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it myself. I think it's just another case of 'Chinese whispers' as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Man this would be awesome!

On the same hand, there is absolutely NO WAY that this story is believable.

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer 2"
                  written by Joss Whedon
                  (while on a bathroom break from writing Season Eight, during a wayward studio meeting on the Dollhouse lot, while tossing paper at Drew Goddard's head in the midst of prepping "Cabin in the Woods", and in a momentary mental pause from proofing Brian Lynch's After the Fall scripts)

Yeah, don't think so. But it's a nice notion.
                  You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

Originally posted by Amuk View Post
                    SMG (SMP now?) has always said she'd need to see a script before deciding. Which is quite likely just a polite way of saying, "Not interested" since she knows it's unlikely Joss would devote the time and resources to writing a script in the hopes she'll like it enough to return to the franchise.

So I won't get my hopes up. But, you know, as much as I'd love more BtVS, I'd rather get more Serenity. The cast is considerably more likely to be up for it and there's a whole lot more unexplored story space there.
                    I think that's her more polite way of saying unless she has equal say on the script she's not coming.

She's got the leverage here, not Joss. He hasn't had a successful project since BtVS movie or TV wise. She did say at the re-union @ paly that everyone was waiting to see how the Sex and the City movie did and since it was a sucess I imagine we will see a BtVS film with SMG, MT, NB, JM, ASH and ED reprising their roles. Maybe we'll see AH but I doubt it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amuk View Post

The 1992 movie is all but ir-relevant to whether or not a new movie would be good. Joss had no power or authority then to keep it within his vision and the studio's demands ruined the concept. That's really not an issue anymore. The bigger question for me is whether or not they can get enough of the principals together again to make it happen (or can craft a story that doesn't need them we'd be interested in seeing).
                      True that it would be very different but I think the story would have to be outstanding, we are used to arcs and I'm worried that the storyline in the film would be rushed to try and make it worthwhile. I think the original movie showed that Buffy worked a lot better as a TV series than a film. I would love to see it done but I wouldn't want to be disappointed if it did go ahead and wasn't great.
                      sigpic

Comment

I would prefer a TV series. In a season of 22 episodes you can get away with one or two clangers, as happened in Buffy even in the golden age of seasons two and three. A single movie has a better than even chance of being a turkey, and then you are done. Look what happened to The Avengers.

The X-files never made it as movie franchise because, I imagine, Chris Carter had run out of ideas. On the other hand the new Star Trek movie, under a new creative team, looks promising. We shall see.

To be candid, I would like to go back to Sunnydale High with a new young Slayer, not unlike Hayden Whatshername in Heroes. A few blokes could be roped in from Brideshead Revisited to give the English dimension.

Comment

I can't even imagine a movie without ASH, seriously. That would suck beyond the telling.
                          No interest in a recast either. As for a Buffy movie? Heck yeah, bring it on!

Whosoever Shall Call Upon the Name of the Lord Shall Be Saved!

Comment

I saw this posted on the Buffy Boards...I'm skeptical, but still hopeful!
                            Every Slayer has a death wish. Even you.
                            ?I think it?s the title of the show. Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It?s like a line in the sand. And unless you appreciate irony and are somewhat sophisticated you?re not going to watch that show.?
                            - James Marsters

Comment

There were rumours about a Spike movie some time ago as well, and about a Faith movie I think... Until something is confirmed, I won't believe any of it, but it would be nice, of course.
                              Sin is what I feast upon
                              I'm forging my crematorium
                              Your tomb is waiting here for you
                              Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I'm also skeptical, even if Joss gets the chance to make the movie, he needs the whole cast together. And because I think that the next movie is going to be BtVS and Ats together, he needs a lot of the original actors. I don't see them all coming when Joss asks it. And I doubt that he gets the chance if SMG, AH & DB won't be in it.
                                Last edited by Nina; 28-11-08, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I am not getting my hopes up, but it would be so cool to have a Buffy movie with all the gang reunited.

I?m allowed to dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Nina View Post
                                    I'm also skeptical, even if Joss gets the chance to make the movie, he needs the whole cast together. And because I think that the next movie is going to be BtVS and Ats together, he needs a lot of the original actors. I don't see them all coming when Joss asks it. And I doubt that he gets the chance if SMG, AH & DB won't be in it.
                                    SMG will do it if it means her requirements. that'll bring MT and probably NB.
                                    JM is currently embarassing himself in the DB movie so he probably agree as well.
                                    ED and TL will probably come back because of Joss assuming Dollhouse tanks.

DB is probably a 'no' at this point and he can be written out fairly easily. That just leaves AH and whether or not she would be open to returning.

I have no idea what ASH is doing but I imagine he would come back if asked. Additionally we probably get SG back as well.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Honestly, I think David will be the toughest one to get back. The only ones that are really successful right now are David, Alyson and Seth. Vincent is also quite successful lately.

Sarah might come if there's a script (and she isn't really fond of dragging Buffy through the mud, so Joss might have to listen to her). If you get Sarah, you get Michelle.

Seth is a nerd, so you could get him easily--he's also mostly doing voice-over work. Alyson is one of Joss' closest friends. Alexis comes with her if you need him (and dear God, give that man a job). Eliza is currently close to Joss, so he can get her. Nick has nothing better to do. Getting Tony is a matter of making sure he doesn't have to leave his family in England for too long.

James would probably do it because nothing else is exactly worthy of him right now, but he has expressed concerns about his age (he's 46 and Spike should look about 30). James is about 16 years off and David is 13 years off of the characters' visual ages.

As far as vampire ages, I don't think too many fans honestly would give a damn. As long as they look good, the fudging won't matter. And the non-fans probably wouldn't know enough to know how old they are supposed to look.

David has said that he would reprise the character if it went to the big screen, particularly if it were more of an Angel movie, because he feels the show itself is cinematic already. His big thing has always been raising the bar when it comes to reprising the role. You might be able to get him for a BtVS/AtS combination film.

Riding the Twilight popularity wave would be pointless if you leave out Angel and Spike. Those are the two characters that would pull in the female romance audience. The love triangle is the one thing that could really get attention enough to have a possibly successful film. In order to do that, you'll have to combine the casts of BtVS and AtS. And you know how much Joss would love to use Amy Acker.

Ultimately, I think David and James would be as important to the success of a BtVS movie as SMG, herself; if not more. They've always gotten as much attention if not more than she has for the success of the franchise. Joss has to know what plotline a mass audience would want to see.

Ultimately, the big bucks and nuggets of incentive would have to go to Sarah and David.
                                      Last edited by NileQT87; 29-11-08, 01:22 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
                                      "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                                        JM is currently embarassing himself in the DB movie so he probably agree as well.
                                        What a charming way of putting that....not

As far as the movie goes I totally agree with Nile here.

But whether we'll actually ever see anything like this ever staged I highly doubt it somehow.

Comment

Working...
                                        X