Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Episode Battles. Explanation Style. Buffy Edition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode Battles. Explanation Style. Buffy Edition.

So this thread is much like the one in the game section where you take two episodes and the poster below you chooses which they like better.

However, the catch in this thread is that you must give at least a few sentences explaining why you feel the way you do. Posts do go toward your post count in here so there's no reason to spam. I think it will be a fun way to see how fellow members feel about certain kinds of eps.

For example: A New Man vs. Tabula Rasa.

While both sway toward the comedic, I prefer Tabula Rasa because it is bookended in drama and the lots of funny is stuffed between. I also like how it explores abandoment themes with Giles and Tara, respectively. A New Man is filled with funny and even has its own abandoment theme but I just don't feel it's quite on par with Tabula. Although, I can admit I need to give it another viewing as it has been awhile. I find it funny that I randomly chose two eps that I now realize both have funny Giles/Spike interaction...and that's always of the good, if you ask me!

Make sense? I'll start then.

When She Was Bad vs. Bad Girls
    sigpic
    follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Great thread idea!

I'm going with When She Was Bad. It was the first episode I ever saw, and I think I get a bit nostalgic over that. But, I actually like this episode, too. I think it was well written, and some of my favorite quotes are in this episode...(especially the scene in the alley between Cordy & Buffy)

In Bad Girls, I don't know why I've never really cared for this episode as much as some people. It must be the incredibly cheesy villain, Balthazaar, and I remember the first time seeing it thinking 'well, Charmed's Balthazaar was a hell of a lot better looking!' Plus, I didn't buy Buffy's lame attempt at criminal life...it was just way too OOC for me.

Ok, so do I need to pit something against WSWB? Or do I pick 2 new eps?

I think I'll pick 2 new eps until you tell me otherwise....

Doomed vs. Crush (2 very underrated episodes IMO)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LRae12 View Post

Ok, so do I need to pit something against WSWB? Or do I pick 2 new eps?

I think I'll pick 2 new eps until you tell me otherwise....

Doomed vs. Crush (2 very underrated episodes IMO)
      Yeah! That's the way it works.

Two TOUGH eps to choose between. Both so good. I've actually always had a big spot of love for Doomed though. I actually ran the fanlisting for it for a long time. I called it Apocalypse Againish... Oh, I think I am so clever. I'm not sure why I like it so much, to be honest. It's vey hokey in many ways. One thing I really enjoy about it is the Willow and Xander and Spike scenes. Very funny! I know a lot of fans don't care for Riley, but I liked him. "Paintball."

Crush is equally good but for some reason I hold Doomed so close. I love the whole idea of Drusilla returning and luring Spike and then Spike surrounded by all the ladies, looking like a crazy bafoon. He truly is a Fool For Love. If there was ever a consistency in his character, that would be it!

The Body vs. The Gift
      sigpic
      follow daydreaming on twitter / livejournal / tumblr / facebook for instant site updates!

Comment

The Gift, easy one for me. I really enjoyed the culmination of Buffy's identity issues from the start of the season on through, and defying the First Slayer by jumping for her sister and the world. We close a bunch of arcs (Glory/Ben, Dawn, Tara's insanity) and open others (Xander and Anya's engagement, the Scoobies' fate while Buffy is dead). Doc's appearance was unexpected for me, and the Buffy/Buffybot/Glory fight was one of the best I've ever seen, with some great lines from Buffy and the robot. The ending was just epic; I cry or tear up every time I see it. The score was the second best of the entire series, only surpassed by Chosen, and while The Body was down to earth with no music, what we got here fit the scene entirely.

The Body may have been very well shot, very realistic, but The Gift has a wider scope of events and gets the nod from me.

Grave vs. Graduation Day Part 2
        Last edited by redrevo; 28-06-07, 08:26 PM.
        Buffy: It sounds like it's difficult for you. Maybe your sister makes it hard for you to establish your own identity. You said she's controlling, she doesn't let you make your own decisions -
        Dawn: Yeah, and she borrows my clothes without asking.

Comment

oh, it's great to find a kindred spirit with the Doomed & Crush love!

Ok, I'm going to have to go with The Body. First of all, I think all of the actors out-shined themselves in this episode. SMG, wow, hands down. MT's performance really stands out to me as well...especially her breakdown in the hallway when you can't really understand what's being said between her and Buffy...plus, I'm a total sucker for episodes that make me cry, and having seen this episode at least 20 times, I have never once remained dry-eyed.

The Gift - What can I say? It's an Icon in the buffyverse, but for me it's not the be-all end-all to Buffydome. In fact, I don't even rank it in my top 20. Was it a good ep? Sure, but there are sooo many that out-do it.

Ok...how about Something Blue vs. Tabula Rasa
          sigpic

Comment

Yikes! You guys posted minutes apart! Okay.

Grave vs. Graduation Day Part 2. Hmmm. Tough. Season six is my fave season but I think I am going to have to go with Grad Day. It's such an iconic episode. No more high school. GIant snake. The principal!! The way the class rallies together. Ohh, and Harmony gets bit!!! Yeah, I'm going with Grad Day. hehe, Grad Day...more like RAD day.

Something Blue vs. Tabula Rasa. Something Blue. Okay, I LOVE both eps. But SBlue is in my top five eps of the whole series. It is too totally hysterical. I love everything about it. I have not watched in years and it's going to be so super wonderful when I do again. Tabula is awesome too, don't get me wrong. And it's funny, but it just doesn't come close to SBlue. Season four over all is highly under rated. It's my second fave season.

Lie To Me vs. The Replacement
            sigpic

Comment

Lie to Me vs The Replacement

Very different episode types. I like the replacement for the end of the whoe Xander=Incompetent Doof thing, and it was the episode that actually started making Riley an interesting character in my mind (took them long enough). However, I think Lie to Me was just a great episode overall. I loved the feeling of S2 so much, and I think Lie to Me really nailed it. I especially loved the final dialogue between Giles and Buffy so I'm gonna go with LtM.

Next:

Lies My Parents Told Me vs. Fool For Love

Comment

oooh, while I really like both epsiodes, I'm going with the obvious Fool for Love. This episode is so well written. I like the flashbacks, as we get to see our first real glimpse as to who Spike is and why he is the way he is. I especially liked the alley scene when Buffy shoves him to the ground and tells him he's Beneath her, and the sweet, sad look on his face...then later at her house the love/hate turmoil in Spike when he's there to kill her and instead ends of comforting her is just too good not to vote for this eppy.

Triangle vs. Life Serial
                sigpic

Comment

Oh, geez. Again...two funny eps. I don't even know which way to go. Hmmmm...

Well, I think I will go with Triangle because it's one of those rare opportunities to get some bitch-happy Willow/Anya angst. I just love how they can't stand each other sometimes. Life Serial is a fantastic ep, as well, and there's so many funny--and poignant--moments, but Triangle just has the awesome Willow/Anya dynamic. Man, I hardly remember it now. I so need to rewatch my Buffy dvs.

Goodbye Iowa vs. Sleeper
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, that's not even a contest - definitely Sleeper. I loved that episode. From the Spike's sweet 'it's all about you' speech to Buffy to Anya's hilarious sexcapades with Spike..."soulless Spike would have had me upside down and halfway to happyland by now"... so, so great. Plus we finally find out what's been toying with Spike. Great eppy!

Angel vs. Prophecy Girl
                    sigpic

Comment

Prophecy Girl, definitely. We get to deal with some Slayer identity issues and of course the biggest decision of all - you vs. the world. I really enjoy how they took the foreboding horror-typical prophecy and turned it on its head - "I flunked the written." Although I acknowledge a pretty successful twist in Angel - Darla with the guns - Prophecy Girl added more to the plot and had a few different things going on, while Angel pretty much just fit the title.

The I in Team vs. Real Me
                      Buffy: It sounds like it's difficult for you. Maybe your sister makes it hard for you to establish your own identity. You said she's controlling, she doesn't let you make your own decisions -

Comment

I'm gonna go with The I in Team. It's a power shift episode. I love the end how Buffy just looks into the camera and tells Walsh she has no idea what a slayer is. Plus drunk Spike is of the funny.

I don't have anything against Real Me. What I remember most the first time I watched it was thinking "Buffy has a sister?" I thought I had missed an episode somewhere along the way. I was so confused.

Choices vs. Entropy
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jenni Lou View Post
                          What I remember most the first time I watched it was thinking "Buffy has a sister?" I thought I had missed an episode somewhere along the way. I was so confused.
                          Me too! I didn't watch the series when it was on air, I watched it much later, and I remember thinking I must have missed a DVD in between somewhere...everybody was acting like - oh, yeah, it's Dawn, who's always been there, and I kept looking up episode orders on the internet! So confusing!

Ok, Choices vs. Entropy...this is a good match up, because I think this is a fairly even match. On the one hand Choices has Willow finally standing up for herself, and against Faith, no less. We see Oz get to be all protective...awww, and the showdown with the mayor and faith losing her present...so good!

But on the other hand Entropy, Spike and Anya consoling each other - and the whole world watching. Spuffy's finally brought to light, and Anya and Xander finally have some of the hostilities out. Plus, Anya once again as a vengence demon trying to trick everybody into wishing something horrid on Xander...my favorite quote..."what kind of lesbians are you? If you love men so much, go love men!"

Ok, so decision time....eenie, meenie, mineee, Entropy, I guess...

No Place Like Home vs. The Initiative
                          sigpic

Comment

I watched the series much later too. I watched it on tv repeats and thought they had skipped an episode or something.

Okay. First, I love the Willow & Riley interaction in the The Initiative. Riley is such a dope. I am a Riley fan though. Never knew why he was so hated. I figured it must have been because he wasn't Angel, So, whatevs. Yes, I am articulate too. "I like cheese." And that expression Buffy gives him...ha! The Initiative storyline kind of sucks overall but this ep does a good job of setting it up.

No Place Like Home. Finally, an explanation for Dawn! And yet another Buffy dreamy sequence thing. And Buffy "5 words or less" and Spike's "Out. For. A. Walk....Bitch." Priceless!

Gosh. A toss up really. But the latter, No Place Like Home, wins it by a smidge, I think.

School Hard vs. Afterlife.
                            sigpic

Comment

oooh, another toughie.

On the one hand, School Hard has the great intro scene of Spike smashing the Sunnydale sign, and he and Dru introducing themselves to the Annoying One. Plus, the crashing of the school party, and pretty much everything Spike does.

After Life - Spike finds out Buffy is alive - the sweet, oh so touching look on his face, him taking care of her hands. Plus, the 'every night I save you' line melts my heart.

I think After Life beats out School Hard for me by a smidge...

Lie to Me vs. Helpless
                              sigpic

Comment

I think Helpless wins this one - don't think I'll say "by a long shot" because part of it is probably that I don't remember Lie to Me that much. It was too much fun (in a plot way, not a "yay she's weak" way) to watch weakened!Buffy try to figure out what was going on, and another bit of classic horror with the crazy vampire. I never really enjoyed the plotlines of Lie to Me except at the end, and when Buffy tells Angel she can't trust him. Overall I thought the episode was pretty bad, its only redemption being the end, of course, and Willow's room and the exchange about it ("Ours is a forbidden love.").

Doppelgangland vs Seeing Red

Comment

Well, this one is a no-brainer for me. Seeing Red has never been a particular favorite of mine. Dopplegangland, on the other hand is my favorite of S3, and probably in my top 20 of all time. I love Vamp!Willow - and everyone mourning Willow being dead...Willow's "hey, you all didn't go and do a bunch of drugs, did ya?" quote is hysterical, and we get to see Willow and Anya's first disagreement..."did you look inside the sofa - in HELL?" So, I'd have to say Dopplegangland gets my vote, for sure.

Faith Hope & Trick vs. Living Conditions
                                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I know we first meet Faith in Faith Hope & Trick but it's just not the best ep, imo. Although the Bronze scene is fantastic! I just love how the guys are ogling over Faith.

Living Conditions is full of funny. It's not another great ep but I did chuckle a number of times. I love how Buffy goes all psycho over Kathy.

I'm tired and didn't have much to say about those two.

Nightmares vs. Normal Again
                                    sigpic

Comment

I'm not so sure about this one, Both are very good episodes. With Nightmares I thought it was interesting to see everyones nightmares become reality and how it dealt with Buffy's fears of death and Giles fears of not being able to protect her.

But thinking about it now Normal Again wins it for me for many reasons, The perspective of Sunnydale being the figment of a girls imagination in a mental asylum was very good, The transition between both realities was great as it got you to question both and seeing Buffy struggle with the decision of which one to choose to be a part of made this episode brilliant. It was interesting to see that both realities had things which tried to keep her there.

Let me think..

The Weight of the World VS Dead Things

Battle 57: BlasterBoy vs. Alucard

Icon by the magnificent Wendy

Comment

Weight of the World, both were rather dark, but I really didn't enjoy Dead Things because of how Buffy's character was ripped apart. Weight of the World explored aspects of humanity that would come out in The Gift - natural empathy in Glory/Ben, guilt and despair over a seemingly impassable obstacle in Buffy, and how Willow took charge while Buffy was not around, which led to the "Boss of Us" exchange in Bargaining. I thought WotW was an excellent lead-up to The Gift, while Dead Things was the low point of the season for Buffy and hurt a bit too much to watch.

Him vs Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

Comment

Working...
                                        X