Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sign The Petition!

Hi all,

Thought I posted this... I can't find where, though!

Here's a petition for the Buffy Animated Series that's been getting a lot of resurgence talk lately, mostly by Loeb and Whedon. I would love nothing more to see an eventual season 9 (or 10) animated. I think it would be one of the more interesting events in entertainment history to see, "Last time, on Buffy the Vampire Slayer..." and they go from live action to voice-over animated comic panels and then to the new animated series. I know they always wanted to do Buffy Animated as season one-er, but I think the audience is with this Buffy now.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sla...-buffyanimated

Well, the issue here is that Joss never intended (nor I think intends) to make a Buffy animated series that is canon to the original show. Specifically, I don't think it would ever continue the current arc of the series.

The idea for the animated series was to take place in the early years (1-3) and include Dawn in them as a young girl. The reason for this: Buffy, The Animated Series was to be an animated kids show. We're not talking Buffy Animated, but with the audience of South Park, which is what would be needed to get an animated show off the ground that continues the story arc of the current series. Let's face it: lesbian/demon sex, vicious Slayer murdering, and strong, adult life themes are not going to translate to an adolescent audience. So now we would either have to have a mature-rated animated series or be forced to dumb down all of the choices and actions that the characters currently make to appease a ratings board.

So, YAY! for signing the petition. I'd love to see Buffy Animated, it'd be a laugh. But I'd like to see it how Joss planned, because at this point continuing the story in cartoons is not possible.

EDIT: and also yay to another Chicagoan!
    You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

Originally posted by bknick View Post
      Well, the issue here is that Joss never intended (nor I think intends) to make a Buffy animated series that is canon to the original show. Specifically, I don't think it would ever continue the current arc of the series.

The idea for the animated series was to take place in the early years (1-3) and include Dawn in them as a young girl. The reason for this: Buffy, The Animated Series was to be an animated kids show. We're not talking Buffy Animated, but with the audience of South Park, which is what would be needed to get an animated show off the ground that continues the story arc of the current series. Let's face it: lesbian/demon sex, vicious Slayer murdering, and strong, adult life themes are not going to translate to an adolescent audience. So now we would either have to have a mature-rated animated series or be forced to dumb down all of the choices and actions that the characters currently make to appease a ratings board.

So, YAY! for signing the petition. I'd love to see Buffy Animated, it'd be a laugh. But I'd like to see it how Joss planned, because at this point continuing the story in cartoons is not possible.

EDIT: and also yay to another Chicagoan!
      Yes, go Bears...Though not these Bears that just lost to Green Bay. Next week's Bears who GET THERE %$%^$( HEAD OUTTA THEIR @%$%$

ahem...

But yeah -- the way I see it, you can totally make it work on a "tween" level and still be enjoyable for adults. I think Batman Beyond and some of the later Justice League stuff really pushed the envelope of what's "acceptable". And, I mean, come on -- Cartoon Network? They'll show pretty much anything, and in prime time. Not to mention Fox. And hey -- maybe another network, having seen the success of Simpsons and Family Guy would want their own Animation Domination, ya know?

I'm personally a hardcore advocate of a more teenage-oriented animation. Although I'm not big on Anime (Princess Mononoke excluded), ya gotta give props to the Japanese for their devotion to adult-oriented animation. I think Buffy, in its live-version persona (minus some bedroom scenes), could totally exist in animated form.

I think death would be Buffy trying to be Kim Possible and speaking to THAT audience. Parents just simply won't go for letting their kids watch some chick stab things with a stake. Just isn't going to happen. Loeb was complaining about all of the networks wanting to do the show but wanting it to be more adult-themed, arguing that "we have gold and money and they want to add copper."

I think Whedon needs to realize that there would be a HUGE audience for this (both young and older) if he were to simply segue from the comic books. I think when the project first began the thought of doing a Buffy Season Eight comic book never even crossed his mind. With its success now, though, maybe him and Loeb will reconsider what the networks all originially wanted from them.

Comment

I still don't know. At this point, I'm liking the show in comic book form. I think that from an enjoyment level, it's easier to follow these characters by reading their words on the page and attributing the proper voice to those words.

If we were to get a cartoon new series, it would just be...strange. Voice actors acting as Buffy characters? Except for Nicky Brendon who, well, would probably come back because I don't think he's got a steady gig anywhere, sadly.

But for content, I think Buffy is at a place that is too mature for a cartoon audience. It's not really that they couldn't get away with some stuff (especially if placed on Cartoon Network), but I think it would require a dumbing down of the themes that make Buffy so important. I mean, sure we can have sex and violence on a Cartoon Network show, but would anybody take the mature themes seriously? Pandering to the CN crowd, a mainly all-comedic crowd, would require stripping away some of the layers that make Buffy what it is. In comic form, we're still able to retain those layers.

How about Dawn for tweens? Write her out of the comic and onto the small screen. Get out, get out, get out!
        You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

Well, seeing as though season 1 BtVS was practically already at the "Are You Afraid Of The Dark?" level of adult-oriented (with only a few references that possibly creeped it above all-ages consumption), just making the animated show to the level of season 1 (which already is minus the sex) would be keeping it like the actual show, but a bit less dark and sexy. Season 1 was already rather close to Goosebumps (Slappy/Sid included) except for the Master/Slayer prophecy plot points. Of course, later it went in a mature direction.

Yeah, I definitely agree that the Kim Possible direction was the wrong move (and that clip they showed was very Kim Possible--though, the badly-animated vampire resembled He-Man a bit much). Simply making it like season 1 would be enough, I think. It wouldn't be totally non-child friendly, but it would also attract some teen/adult audience members.
          NileQT87
          The Dark Avenger
          Last edited by NileQT87; 19-11-08, 10:16 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
          "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

Originally posted by bknick View Post
            I still don't know. At this point, I'm liking the show in comic book form. I think that from an enjoyment level, it's easier to follow these characters by reading their words on the page and attributing the proper voice to those words.

If we were to get a cartoon new series, it would just be...strange. Voice actors acting as Buffy characters? Except for Nicky Brendon who, well, would probably come back because I don't think he's got a steady gig anywhere, sadly.

But for content, I think Buffy is at a place that is too mature for a cartoon audience. It's not really that they couldn't get away with some stuff (especially if placed on Cartoon Network), but I think it would require a dumbing down of the themes that make Buffy so important. I mean, sure we can have sex and violence on a Cartoon Network show, but would anybody take the mature themes seriously? Pandering to the CN crowd, a mainly all-comedic crowd, would require stripping away some of the layers that make Buffy what it is. In comic form, we're still able to retain those layers.

How about Dawn for tweens? Write her out of the comic and onto the small screen. Get out, get out, get out!
            All of the original actors (minus Sarah) said they would be willing to do the voices. And there's an awesome Buffy voice talent in the chick who played Buffy in the video games.

And as far as taking mature themes seriously in animation -- you most certainly can. Again, the Japanese have been doing it effectively for years in their cinema. And think of some of the Pixar and Dreamworks stuff. I think Lion King and Lilo and Stitch both dealt with some more complex themes. I mean, yeah, there may be some limitations on how many lesbo make-out scenes there can be, but hey -- Spawn pretty much broke the bank on what could be allowed in American Animation. And while I think the writing for Spawn sucked (which is why its mature content was so very lame), I think the writers of Buffy could translate nearly everything, verbatum, from the comic books and could make it fly on the (animated) screen.

I think it's wholly possible to empathize with an animated character. In the end it's all about the writing.

Comment

Working...
            X