Girls Show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls Show?

I know there has been a thread like this before, but I missed it, and I just got into a debate about this so I had to post.

During dinner, my sister just randomly said that I owned 7 seasons of a girl's show. I was confused, and she told me she meant Buffy. Now, my sister has seen lots of Buffy because, even though she won't admit it, she kind of enjoyed it. Plus, I watch it a lot. She says that it was a girl show because the majority of the audience was girls, it was aimed towards girls, and the protagonist was a girl, as well as all the main issues were about Buffy's personal life, and the majority of boys in the world don't like to watch personal life stuff.

I agreed that the majority of watchers were girls, but I don't think it was directly or only aimed towards girls, and there were many things for boys to enjoy or relate to. I said not all boys dislike watching some types of drama, and that some people can actually *gasp* appreciate and like that kind of stuff. Plus, there's action and special effects.

I think it's really a gender neutral show, because there are things that pertain to both gender. Sure, it's audience is mostly girls, but does that mean it's weird for boys to watch it, too? No.

Your thoughts?
    It's Definitely A Girl's Show
    10.96%
    It's A Boy's Show
    0.00%
    General Neutral
    75.34%
    What The Hell Are You Talking ABout?
    13.70%

I don't think it's a girl's show at all... Sure I enjoy the drama, but I do enjoy the mythology in the show and etc...

Say, supernatural... The majority of their watchers are girls (in my opinion), but it's not a show for girls... Not at all.

All in all, Buffy deals with issues teens (boys and girls) go through... At least I think so... Sure, because the show is about a girl, some things will be about what girls go through... But not belonging, and being ignored, and mocked is something that ALL teenagers go through... That's why I think boys and girls love the show.

And yes, action and special effects is part of the reason boys watch it too.

Click for art and tomfooleries

Comment

I'm also on the 'BtVS is a gender neutral' bandwagon. Yes, the message was a feministic one and the title character was a girl with girl problems. But I don't see how that made the show a girl show. The fighting and the monsters are 'boy things'. I think that BtVS is a real neutral show. But maybe a bit more fun for the girls who see some of themselves back in Buffy or Willow.

AtS on the other side is less neutral, I always saw that one as a boys show (one I love very much as a girl.).

Comment

Yes, it is a show with a strong feminist message behind it but i don't think that limits it's audience to just girls! If a guy can't appreciate the show b/c it's got a lot of strong female characters then it's his loss. And a girl who makes fun of a guy for watching a 'girl show' is a stupid wench.

Comment

I feel it was aimed more towards a female audience however if it appeals to everyone then it is the mark of a great show.

Just in conversation I meet more girls than guys who are into Buffy.
          -TP<3
          "At that point I'd love a fight and a heart to heart and then of course naughtiness and happy ever after."
          - Dorian's Kitten re: Spuffy Reunion

Spuffy Videos!

Comment

I voted "What the hell are you talking about". Tell your sister that one of the guys on this forum is a 53-year-old straight male from southeastern Kentucky whose primary interests have always been guns, guitars, and motorcycles. If that doesn't convince her that Buffy is suitable for everybody, then she's either beyond reaching or she's just yankin' your chain. Either way, you should just ignore her. Or pop her one up side the head, whatever.
            "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

That the main characters are female doesn't make it a girls' show. Look at Charlie's Angels, for example - according to the writers, that movie was aimed at a male audience mainly, action and pretty women, I think you're getting the idea.
              I don't think it's aimed especially at girls or at boys, I rather think it is aimed at both alike. It has fantasy/horror elements, which are usually considered a male thing, but it has srong female characters, which may draw girls to it because they can identify with them, and at the same time draw boys because they think they're hot.
              (We might make a gender poll in this forum to take a look at the fandom, though. )
              Sin is what I feast upon
              I'm forging my crematorium
              Your tomb is waiting here for you
              Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I actually meet more guys that are into BtVS than girls. They love the action and Sarah Michelle Gellar - typical, stereotype kind of guys anyway (I'm definitely not one of those myself LOL).

I picked NEUTRAL. There's HEAPS of elements to this show that appeal to both guys and girls, that's one of the reasons it's so great.

Comment

By normal standards, I think it does lean a bit more towards a girlie show, but that doesn't mean it doesn't kick ass.

I mean, hey, your girlfriend's cosmo will knock you on your ass a lot faster than your can of coors light, buddy.

Comment

I think that although it may not have initially been geared towards women, I feel it ended up being that way in later seasons.

Yes, a lot of men seemed to enjoy it for the action and 'kick arse women', but a lot of young women were drawn in by the important relationship elements in the stories. Maybe thats why some aren't so keen on the comics as that side of things seems to have taken a bit of a back seat.

In the fandom circle that I mainly move in the majority of creatively active fans of the show are female, so make what you will of that.
                    Last edited by sueworld; 20-10-08, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I think in some respects it's more geared towards women - the amount of male toplessness for instance, I don't think that's primarily aimed at men... though many men would enjoy it obviously. But in terms of them sitting around thinking, "who would enjoy these naked chests", I'm guessing they were thinking about women? That's just a guess though, and I could be wrong.

In terms of the way the show's written overall, though, I'd say it's gender neutral. I'm not sure I'm really in a position to say what appeals to men... or even to women, really. I can only say what I like. And me like Buffy. In broad and pretty stereotypical terms, there's stuff that appeals to what men and women are *supposed* to like. Fighting and pretty girls for the boys, relationships and emotional arcs for the girls... jokes for everyone. But really, what men and women like and want remains an amorphous mystery to me. Not that there aren't trends... but as soon as I discover a trend along gender lines, I always find ten exceptions, so perhaps I shouldn't make sweeping statements at all? Hmm... but sweeping statements are so much fun.

On the whole, I think the humour of Buffy is very much - even in cliche gender stereotype terms - a neutral factor. It's not "boy" humour (poo bum fart willy tits) or "girl" humour (aren't men rubbish and isn't my bum fat?). Not that those things really exist in a marked way outside of adverts (the land where women only ever talk about chocolate and men, and men only talk about beer and boobs).

The metaphors, again, I think are pretty neutral territory, even assuming cliches are true.

The relationship-focussed elements of the plot - girlie?
                      The fighting - boysie?

I think one thing that's interesting about Buffy in terms of demographics is the number of teachers that love it. Though I imagine not many head teachers would love it, given how they're portrayed (at least until Principal Wood).

Another demographic thing...I think Buffy appeals to a lot of people who aren't usually into fantasy or sci fi... it's a bit of a genre-buster. I've go ta friend who doesn't like any other "genre" telly (she prefers stuff like The Wire and the West Wing... so, the political genre rather than sci fi/fantasy) but she loves Buffy - the humour's got a lot to do with that I think.

-- Robofrakkinawesome BANNER BY FRANCY --

Comment

I was introduced to it by a guy, and the first person I introduced to it was also a guy. (Both of them loved it, needless to say.) So, definitely not a girls' show.

(set made by Francy for me)

Comment

I voted for Neutral. I think that BtVS maybe started as a Girl's show but soon begun to change into a more general audience. Like Enisy, I was introduced to it by a guy, my brother, he watched it first, then I watched it too, and we both pretty much enjoyed the show, he lost interest though after season 6 for some reason. But he liked it very much until that, and in RL I've met more guys that like the show than girls actually.

Comment

Neutral. It has feminist messages and it has a strong female lead character, but I think the show speaks to everyone. It deals with problems of every day life, deals with death and the feeling of loneliness. It?s definitively a show for everyone.

Comment

In light of some previous postings, I also want to stress that it's the characters that hooked me on the show, not the "action". Lots of TV shows and movies have better fight choreography - but they also bore me stiff (and don't get me started on dreck like Blade...)
                              "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

I think in some respects it's more geared towards women - the amount of male toplessness for instance,
                                Yep, god point. I can't believe that they weren't aiming 'topless Angel' and 'nekid Spike' at the audience as a whole, but for 'the girlie's'. Gotta say it worked for me.

Comment

It's a difficult question to answer, but I'm going to come down on the side of "yes, it was a girls' show". Not exclusively so; there was obviously plenty in there aimed at guys, and the show had plenty of male fans in consequence. But from the start, 'Buffy' was intended to be more female-friendly than other similar shows on TV at the time.

The reason why the WB invested in the show so heavily, and why UPN was willing to outbid them for it, is because 'Buffy' was the only genre science fiction/fantasy type show around that was bringing in a female audience as big or bigger than the number of male viewers - and advertisers were willing to pay big bucks to reach that kind of demographic. In other words, the Powers That Be thought of 'Buffy' as "that show that girls watch"... which makes it a girls' show in my book.

Plus anyway:
                                  Shirtless Angel: 5168754534637
                                  Shirtless Spike: 1561687477544
                                  Shirtless Buffy: 2
                                  Shirtless Willow: 0

Enough said. :-)

Numbers quoted may not be entirely accurate.

Comment

Buffy herself is a contemporary version of the sexy female warrior, which is a male erotic fantasy that goes all the way back.

Xena was in the same market, but after a good start with a fine cast they made a mess of it.Red Sonja was pretty good, I thought, and I would like to have seen more of her. Before Buffy I thought the Avengers girls were the best I'd seen. Of course there are other factors in BtVS but the commanding woman is always at the heart of the story, as we see at the end of every credits sequence.

Comment

Well Stormwreath, there's the trouble with topless women never really shown on TV for reasons of modesty and decency. Hardly fair, that is.

While it was on TV, I heard two female friends talk about it most often, but who got me hooked was a guy (someone who goes to training with me and GMs our role-playing round), and now most of the fans I know are male. At yesterday's Angel session there were 4 guys present (including me) and three girls, but two of those girls are dogs actually and the last girl is about as "un-girlish" as it gets (and also gay, so the shirtlessness is lost on her ).

Can we assume this is an equally balanced fandom?

Oh, and Rowan: Seconded. I don't only go for action either, the characters have to be believable and the story interesting, and I need a (male) character to identify with. But action and pretty girls are a very welcome bonus.
                                      Last edited by Bloodsucker; 20-10-08, 04:27 PM. Reason: addition
                                      Sin is what I feast upon
                                      I'm forging my crematorium
                                      Your tomb is waiting here for you
                                      Welcome to my ritual

-Judas Priest, Death

Comment

I voted neutral and i believe is is just that, neutral. I know ton of guys who love buffy, my boyfriend including! Since we started dating he has watched every single buffy episode!! The first one he watched he watched because he was looking through my dvd collection and was like "hey i never seen this show buffy, is it any good?". So i was like uuhh duh! So we watched the first,second, and third seasons, and then he bought me the collectors edition because he wanted me to have it and so he could watch the final seasons. It would get to the point that i would get home from work and he would already have the DVD player on and have popcorn and drinks ready. I know tons of guys who watch buffy!

Plus i read alot and i read alot of buffy books. When im sitting at school between classes, or at work in the break room you would be amazed at how many guys will be like.. "Hey i love that show! To bad it went off the air!".

I know guys who wtched it and would cry at the sad parts and laugh at the funny, and then poke fun of the action parts. I think it's a show that can be fun for the whole family. And also relate to the whole family.

If you were watching Gilmore girls (not that that would be bad or anything i love that show!!) I can see your sister poking fun of you for watching a girls show.. but buffy.. not a girls show!
                                        Last edited by Theresa Marie86; 20-10-08, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X