need buffy fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need buffy fix

i did some research and noticed there are quite a few buffy novels out there. i was wondering if any of you have read some.. and if so which ones you might recommend. what im primarily looking for is a book that is

1) original (not based on existing buffy seasons 1-7. now extending or being a prequel or post season story is fine).
    2) not a comic book or short graphical novel. im looking for a long read.

anyone have any recommendations?

thanks

Well there are a few good books out there. "Tales of the Slayer" is a very interesting 4-part series about various Slayers before Buffy. It stays pretty true to the series and is beleived to be cannon.

"Go Ask Malice: A Slayer's Diary" is somewhat of an origin story for Faith. If you are a fan of the character then I am sure you would be happy with the book. She is written pretty on key to what she is in the series.

I recommend you DO NOT read "Queen of the Slayers". It is pretty much a slap in the face to Buffy fans. Horrable writing and characterization. It takes places after season 7 and just... well Sucks.

Here is a full list of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Novels to help take your pick. There will be a bit hard to find in stores, some of them are pretty old, so your best chances are eBay.

Goodluck on finding what you need.
    DigitalLeonardo
    Somebody Save Me...
    Last edited by DigitalLeonardo; 07-10-08, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I'd have to second "Tales of the Slayer". Overall, the best of any of the books I've read, IMO, although somewhat inconsistent since the stories are all different authors.

"Queen of the Slayers" is just... bad. Kennedy's and Faith's characters are handled reasonably well, but the rest of the book is so far out of whack it's pointless, and the plot just sorta disappears.
      "Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan Hawthorn View Post
        I'd have to second "Tales of the Slayer". Overall, the best of any of the books I've read, IMO, although somewhat inconsistent since the stories are all different authors.

"Queen of the Slayers" is just... bad. Kennedy's and Faith's characters are handled reasonably well, but the rest of the book is so far out of whack it's pointless, and the plot just sorta disappears.
        That is a good point. But I think after you finish the first book you are use to the jumping writing style and it becomes alot more seemless when you start book 3.

Yeah I have no idea why "Queen of the Slayers" was even approved. It is pretty much poor fanfiction... None of the characters feel right and yeah the plot is just... I mean it starts out pretty strong and I actually enjoyed the first couple of chapters, but then it just got weird and way too unbelieveable (even for Buffy...)

Comment

I second "go ask malice" !! Great read!

Also one book i reaaalllly enjoyed was the "lost slayer" series. You can buy the whole series in one novel! Right now i am reading "chaos bleeds" it's the book going along with the video game.

Try amazon.com you can buy used books real cheap! Also don't forget about our fanfic area on the forum!! There are some great stories in there!

Comment

Back when I started watching the show I collected all the books. I probably have somewhere around 50 novels (between Buffy and Angel, plus crossovers). Admittedly, not all are good.

Some worth checking out:

The Gatekeeper Trilogy by Christopher Golden/Nancy Holder
            The Lost Slayer series by Christopher Golden
            Oz: Into the Wild by Christopher Golden (be warned, Oz is the ONLY Buffy character in this)
            Spike and Dru: Pretty Maids All in a Row by Christopher Golden

Most of the novels depicting events not shown in actual episodes or dealing with alternate realities are pretty good, a lot of the other ones tend to bend the actual plots of the show to some odd points.

Although, interestingly, the novel Immortal (which was written and set during Buffy Season 3) puts Joyce in the hospital, possibly with cancer. Wonder if Joss ever looked at the plot for that novel before setting out on Season Five?
            You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

Is there a reference anywhere of all books published? as im looking to start collecting but kinda want to start from beginning?

Forget that i just read up lol
              Tearjerker
              Hellmouth Tourist
              Last edited by Tearjerker; 13-10-08, 08:20 PM. Reason: Never looked lol

Comment

That Wikipedia list is also ordered from the time frame in which the novel takes place, as opposed to when they were published.

Which is actually better, cause then you can read them in order of the seasons.
                You've got to get behind the mule in the morning and plow.

www.myspace.com/brettknickerbocker

Comment

Working...
                X