"Take 'em all! ... Except for her."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Take 'em all! ... Except for her."

I was curious as to who Eve/The First means when she says this to the Ubervamp before it sets off to battle Buffy in Showtime.

I had a theory that the line related directly to the Giles/Anya scene in the episode where Giles explains that The First has risen to power specifically because "Buffy lives". Does that mean that The First needed to keep Buffy alive to assert it's forthcoming apocalypse? But, then, that really doesn't make sense when later in the season The First gives Caleb the instructions of "go...kill!" when he was fighting Buffy in Touched, or how smirky The First was when Buffy got stabbed in the hellmouth during Chosen.

Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that the First wanted to fight Buffy and Buffy alone, it needed to get rid of her army. I don't think the First needed Buffy alive for the apocalypse but that it wanted her to suffer. I think that when the First tells Caleb to "Go...Kill" it has now become worried about Buffy because without her army she feels more determined to fight and it is also worried about her finding the Scythe.
    sigpic

Comment

My opinion was that maybe the First Evil was counting on Buffy to screw up. That way, the First Evil would have had the Potentials all defenseless, the First Evil knew they were stronger with Buffy. It?s like Caleb says in "Dirty Girls", that they would lean on her (Buffy) to lead the way and Caleb and the First Evil were hoping to have a big massacre in the vineyard. I truly believe that Eve (First Evil) spares Buffy in "Showtime" to have her screw up much later.

Comment

the first needed to kill all the potentials before it went after buffy. if anyone had managed to kill buffy, in its FLAWED thinking, it thought another slayer would sprout up.

oddly enough, the one the first evil really needed to keep alive was faith... and debbie at the prison was hired to assassinate faith.

the first was a bit of a numbnut when it came to which slayer it needed to keep alive until all of the potentials were gone.
        Last edited by NileQT87; 08-09-08, 09:01 PM.

"If there is no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
        "Nothing in the world is the way it ought to be. It's harsh and cruel. But that's why there's us. Champions."

Comment

I don't think the First had the wrong idea about the Slayer lineage -- I think it just wanted to do extra special for Buffy. Buffy had already defied it and affronted it before, remember. I think the First wanted to have Buffy watch all her friends die and then spend a few days letting the Turok-han torture her, the Bringers cut on her, and then sing Spike a little song and let him have a drink.
          sigpic
          Banner by LRae12

Comment

Originally posted by KingofCretins View Post
            I don't think the First had the wrong idea about the Slayer lineage -- I think it just wanted to do extra special for Buffy. Buffy had already defied it and affronted it before, remember. I think the First wanted to have Buffy watch all her friends die and then spend a few days letting the Turok-han torture her, the Bringers cut on her, and then sing Spike a little song and let him have a drink.
            That makes a lot of sense, it really does. The source of all evil would likely be revengful, seeing as revenge in it's purest sense is almost always evil. Although the one part of that that doesn't make sense is spike. I personally think that the first knew that spike would be his undoing if he stayed alive in sunnydale, so it put a trigger in his head to get buffy to kill him or to get him to leave, which it almost succeeded in doing a couple times in both ways. The first likely knew about the amulets existance and did not count on Angel being a potential backup, so it focused on screwing up spike's head. The comment on how spike's time would come was just a bluff to scare him off or get him dead. I don't think the first ever planned on using spike in any way that did not lead to one of those two goals.

Comment

Working...
            X